• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to split California into six states gets green light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Silicon Valley as a state? Sounds like lazy sci-fi.

This. It really does sound like some horrible hack sci-fi B-movie set up.

Steve Seagal plays Tyler Ballistic an ex Navy SEAL who must rescue his daughter from the North Korean cyborg dictator who controls Silicon Valley after Facebbok becomes sentient and.....,

Out of interest, how were the size of the states formed? Did someone get a map of America, and using a ruler just drew a few lines and was like, yeah that'll do? It's weird seeing the country split with straight lines.
There's some excellent tv on history channel about this. Some really random shit on there on how some states were decided iirc.

Mononoke

Banned
So serious question. I know some about the history of how states were formed. Is that even a realistic possibility today (a state splitting up into new states). And I don't mean some quack proposing ideas. Given how this country is run, economic factors etc., could a State even be divided in this day and age?

What's the thinking behind having six, specifically, as opposed to two or three?

Voting bloc in congress. Basically, sextupling the number of senators and potential congressmen.

There's some excellent tv on history channel about this. Some really random shit on there on how some states were decided iirc.

"HOw the States Got Their Shape," it was a 2 hour special they spun into a series... Probably the only good show that has actual history on History Channel. It's a mix of pop culture and interesting/weird historical facts for dividing up states.

The only people who want this is the GOP. They want to split the votes to prevent the entire state from always going democrat.

Wait... what? For one, there is no Democratic or Republican support for this at all. Second, this is been much more popular with Liberal groups than Conservative... It would potentially add 10 generally progressive senators to the Congress, and the majority of those divisions would still generally vote Democratic. Even the most conservative areas of California are fairly progressive, nationally.

Mononoke

Banned
I think he means states in the United States of America.

Yeah my apologies, should have clarified. Was just curious given our history, our current government, and economic system whether something like his could even happen again.
Rather I wonder what conditions in the US today would allow it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So serious question. I know some about the history of how states formed (and how certain states were divided). It that even a realistic possibility today. And I don't mean some quack proposing ideas. Given how this country is run, economic factors etc., could a State even be divided in this day and age?

I don't think we would ever see a state being divided.

What the flip... A states name is Jefferson o_O

Goes back to this plan where part of northern Cali and part of southern Oregon join up to form a state called Jefferson.

Ri'Orius

Wait... what? For one, there is no Democratic or Republican support for this at all. Second, this is been much more popular with Liberal groups than Conservative... It would potentially add 10 generally progressive senators to the Congress, and the majority of those divisions would still generally vote Democratic. Even the most conservative areas of California are fairly progressive, nationally.

Half the proposed states would've gone red in the Presidential election, according to 2012's county-by-county results. Southern California, Central California and Jefferson, specifically.

Balphon

Out of interest, how were the size of the states formed? Did someone get a map of America, and using a ruler just drew a few lines and was like, yeah that'll do? It's weird seeing the country split with straight lines.

Most of the straight lines are latitudinal/longitudinal, and most of the squiggly lines are rivers.

dabig2

By the way, the entire series I believe of How the States Got their Shapes is available for free on Youtube. Awesome series btw and it has the lawyer guy from It's Always Sunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom