• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

Hey guys, is it worth getting Ragnarok Odyssey ACE on the Vita? I have it on PS3 and enjoy it, but what I'd like to know most is if there are any differences. Is the frame rate better, worse, or the same? Also, is online cross play? I've never bothered asking this before. I would appreciate any help!

Malyse

Hey guys, is it worth getting Ragnarok Odyssey ACE on the Vita? I have it on PS3 and enjoy it, but what I'd like to know most is if there are any differences. Is the frame rate better, worse, or the same? Also, is online cross play? I've never bothered asking this before. I would appreciate any help!
I never played the PS3 version because I prefer this style of game on handheld, but I can't recall having any issues with frame rate on vita. And I know the game is cross save, so I think the online is cross play as well. But that being said, I don't think its a game worth buying twice.

I never played the PS3 version because I prefer this style of game on handheld, but I can't recall having any issues with frame rate on vita. And I know the game is cross save, so I think the online is cross play as well. But that being said, I don't think its a game worth buying twice.

Honestly the only reason I might get it for Vita is so a friend can play with me on PS3, assuming it does have cross play. Thanks for the info! Still on the fence, though.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Is there in playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Wii U at this point?

It's 18 dollars which is a good price, and I've always wanted to play a Monster Hunter game... but is the online community about to/already has up and left because of 4?

I don't have a 3DS so it's basically this or nothing.

Malyse

It's 18 dollars which is a good price, and I've always wanted to play a Monster Hunter game... but is the online community about to/already has up and left because of 4?

Do you have a vita? Cause that's where it's at.

I'm sure you can find some people to play with you. Not everyone imports, after all.

tuffy

There were still over 700 people online a couple of evenings ago, so the online community is holding steady so far.

Syril

There seem to be about 300-500 people online at any given time consistently, but I've had a hard time finding people who weren't doing just the later monsters of G-rank, the final difficulty. I imagine either that number will significantly drop once MH4U comes out here, or Capcom will just shut down the servers.

FreeMufasa

Just so you guys know, there is a post end of story mission in Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity where you go to the PSO dimension (or something) and learn a bit more about its story. You even get to meet Red Ring Rico and fight in some PSO areas.
And a badass scene with the original party of HUmar, RAcast, etc helping Ringo at the end

Also, this.

WTF........looks like I'm buying a PSP again

There seem to be about 300-500 people online at any given time consistently, but I've had a hard time finding people who weren't doing just the later monsters of G-rank, the final difficulty. I imagine either that number will significantly drop once MH4U comes out here, or Capcom will just shut down the servers.
Capcom can't shut down the servers, it's running on the Nintendo Network servers.

Go for it, the Monster Hunter community never dies.

Do you have a vita? Cause that's where it's at.

I'm sure you can find some people to play with you. Not everyone imports, after all.
Did you quote the wrong post? lol

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is the game cross-play?

It'd be awesome if I were able to convince a buddy of mine that has a PS4 to get the game while I get a Vita copy for me.

Is the bullet system as hard to understand as it was in Burst?

Bullet system has not really changed and I doubt it will change in RB. Therefore yes it will still be complex, but the general old info still will apply to bullet creation so its not like you are going to be walking into something blind.

God Eater 2 Rage Burst opening is out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16TVwHBGvYg

While the cutting of the video is pretty awesome, its GREAT to see they are still using the same fucking shitty song.

Why they got rid of alan is beyond me, since the track she put out for the game was shit hot. This Engrish on the other hand is just shit.

Lately Bandai Namco has been on a roll with fucking shitty OP songs by crap bands. I seriously think someone internally is getting kickbacks thats why which is the reason obviously it seems to be more about putting a certain someone in place vs actual good music.

Asides from using Linkin Park, heres another example of their shit taste in music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2BSoomA24I

RalchAC

Bullet system has not really changed and I doubt it will change in RB. Therefore yes it will still be complex, but the general old info still will apply to bullet creation so its not like you are going to be walking into something blind.

I guess its part of its charm. I'll probably just look for some decent (not terribly broken) bullets for each element and call it a day.

Malyse

Here's something I would like to discuss:

How would you feel about a Star Hunter type game that in post-game took a cue from Animal Crossing (or Pokemon) and added a day/night cycle? Like, once you've cleared the story mode and normal mission, you get a list of higher difficulty arenas where you could go hunt and the enemies would only spawn at certain times. And the weapons/materials that you get are either for a higher tier of weapon than in the main game or they are the same tier but drop more frequently. Maybe even integrate random weather changes too: so Monster A will show up on Rainy Nights, but Monster B shows up on Foggy Mornings, ect.

What would you think of that?

SpotAnime

How would you feel about a Star Hunter type game that in post-game took a cue from Animal Crossing (or Pokemon) and added a day/night cycle? Like, once you've cleared the story mode and normal mission, you get a list of higher difficulty arenas where you could go hunt and the enemies would only spawn at certain times (let's say once every eight hours). And the weapons/materials that you get are either for a higher tier of weapon than in the main game or they are the same tier but drop more frequently.

I wouldn't like that. Gaming on a schedule is so hard for someone like me who has work and family commitments. It might be a week between play sessions, and even then I can't guarantee if it will be morning, afternoon or night.

An artificial day/night cycle though would be cool. I would be all over revisiting environments in different settings (or even seasons!).

Reknoc

How would you feel about a Star Hunter type game that in post-game took a cue from Animal Crossing (or Pokemon) and added a day/night cycle? Like, once you've cleared the story mode and normal mission, you get a list of higher difficulty arenas where you could go hunt and the enemies would only spawn at certain times. And the weapons/materials that you get are either for a higher tier of weapon than in the main game or they are the same tier but drop more frequently. Maybe even integrate random weather changes too: so Monster A will show up on Rainy Nights, but Monster B shows up on Foggy Mornings, ect.

Reminds me of PSO2's emergency quests which I dislike, and I really hate realtime day/night cycles since I tend to play mostly during the evening and it gets tiresome really quickly always playing a game when its night time (sup WoW). Day/Night as different maps is good though, similar to how MonHun does it.

WarRock

So, G rank with a night skin?

Mugaaz

Just wanted to chime in that the end-game in Freedom Wars is the absolute worst garbage I've ever seen.

This is literally the end game:
Step 1 - run 5 garbage missions as fast as possible, doesnt matter what, none of the normal missions give any rewards you need. Theyre all equal useless so run the fastest one.

Step 2 - Save the game in your room. If you got red popup for a retribution mission check what is is, if its one of the few you need for upgrade parts take it and save. If not hard quit the game.
There is a roughly 1 in 4 chance of getting the red popup here, and 1/10 if getting the quest you need. This will take a while.

Step 3 - Run said mission and beeline to the resource point with the rare resource you need. Theyre pretty rare 5-20%? Who knows. If it's not there, hard quit game and reload.

To people saying: "Well don't do all the reloading crap then". Are you serious? Nothing else in the game matters, there are literally no other missions you can run or items you can get to improve except the ones in the retribution missions. Everything else is 100% waste of time providing no rewards.

I really liked Freedom Wars, but the end-game and weapon mod system need to go. DO NOT WANT. All I have left to do in the game is upgrade weapon to 10, but no thanks, its not fun at all. Shelved this game for now.

Picked up Soul Sacrifice Delta, never played it or the original before. Early impressions are really good! Having a blast! This game is really different, enjoying the story and atmosphere.

Mugaaz

They did this in Monster Hunter 2 and honestly it blows. At first it's cool and novel, but from a gameplay perspective all it does it needlessly gate content and force you to either reload or play missions you don't care about. What I DID like about it was how the different day/night/weather cycles impacted gameplay. That was actually fun and enjoyable. However, when X monster or resource only shows up at a certain time/cycle it sucks if you cannot select that time/cycle as a choice during mission creation.

Malyse

They did this in Monster Hunter 2 and honestly it blows. At first it's cool and novel, but from a gameplay perspective all it does it needlessly gate content and force you to either reload or play missions you don't care about. What I DID like about it was how the different day/night/weather cycles impacted gameplay. That was actually fun and enjoyable. However, when X monster or resource only shows up at a certain time/cycle it sucks if you cannot select that time/cycle as a choice during mission creation.
What if it was by time zone? Like, if it's daytime for you, you just have to team up with someone in China where it's nighttime to farm.

xxczx

Just so you guys know, there is a post end of story mission in Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity where you go to the PSO dimension (or something) and learn a bit more about its story. You even get to meet Red Ring Rico and fight in some PSO areas.
And a badass scene with the original party of HUmar, RAcast, etc helping Ringo at the end

Also, this.
That's amazing. It's a shame I don't have a PSP anymore; I still have my copy of PS:p2, would love to play it again..

On the other hand, I'm playing through Phantasy Star Zero for like the fourth time. I don't think this game can get old.. Anything to hold out for another English PS game :(

WarRock

That's amazing. It's a shame I don't have a PSP anymore; I still have my copy of PS:p2, would love to play it again..

On the other hand, I'm playing through Phantasy Star Zero for like the fourth time. I don't think this game can get old.. Anything to hold out for another English PS game :(

I really like PSZ's presentation, though the character design could be a bit more unique for the non CAST characters. Maybe I'll replay it too, I am in the mood for some loot hunting on the go...

Mugaaz

What if it was by time zone? Like, if it's daytime for you, you just have to team up with someone in China where it's nighttime to farm.

Why? Seriously, why? There is zero benefit here. All that's being done is making it hard for me to select the mission I want to do. Might as well make it involve getting a perfect pet of the pig, it's just as arbitrary and pain in the ass.

Either make it an option to choose any day/night/season during quest creation, or make the day/night/season change the environment and monster behavior, but not in ways that impact items/drops/which monsters show up.

TLDR: If I need nighttime Blue Los from the Tower then I want to be able to select Tower -> Night -> Blue Los when I'm putting up the quest. Do not make me jump through hoops to be able to select the mission I want to do. This is my CHIEF complaint with Freedom Wars endgame.

Prototype

Pull the trigger.

I still play to this day and it's easy to find rooms online. 4 is still only Japan atm so the rest of world is still playing 3u.

Even after it comes out, there will still he people playing 3u because not everyone is going to buy a 3ds for the game.

18 is a good deal for the game.

Shengar

I really liked Freedom Wars, but the end-game and weapon mod system need to go. DO NOT WANT. All I have left to do in the game is upgrade weapon to 10, but no thanks, its not fun at all. Shelved this game for now.

I'm exactly in the same situation as you here. Its ridiculous how much RNG shoved in just for one material, rare field material at that to upgrade your weapon. I immediately ragequitted after I learned that Retribution can't be retried and I have to do another bunch of useless operation to get Retribution mission that could be not the mission you looking for. I really want to love Freedom Wars, but it seems the game does not want me too.

The amount of money I'm considering spending on a sealed copy of Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1+2 Plus is pretty ridiculous... Also thinking of buying Phantasy Star Zero because I've heard pretty good things about it. ALSO want to play Phantasy Star Portable 2, but don't have a PSP and I guess they'll never put it back up on the PSN store...

Reknoc

The amount of money I'm considering spending on a sealed copy of Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1+2 Plus is pretty ridiculous... Also thinking of buying Phantasy Star Zero because I'v heard pretty good things about it. ALSO want to play Phantasy Star Portable 2, but don't have a PSP and I guess they'll never put it back up on the PSN store...

Zero is quite good, probably the closest to feeling like PSO.

Deband

Anyone got experience with how text heavy God Eater is? I'm tempted to import the PS4 version but I don't speak any jp.

Teknoman

I wish PSZero had a second game on 3DS. Man that game was great...with awesome chat bubbles and the closest PSO style soundtrack we've had in awhile.

Sucks that there is no way to play it online anymore either...

Reknoc

I'm not one to buy figures but I couldn't pass this up

B7QCH18IAAE-Exy.jpg

Got that 2nd best CAST. I'd get the first best CAST if SEGA wasn't garbage with PSO2 merch :mad:

Reknoc

Well a PS4 version is certainly possible, but it sure wont be announced at E3 lol.

Got her doing a sick dive (inb4 some nerd says only RAmarls hold pistols like that)

B7QQetHIYAA8LpF.jpg

RalchAC

Anyone got experience with how text heavy God Eater is? I'm tempted to import the PS4 version but I don't speak any jp.

Burst had a good chunk of text. I wouldn't recommend it, since the game is probably releasing in the West. If not, the existence of a PS4 version doesn't make much sense IMO.

SEGA is garbage with PSO2, period. If they don't announce a PS4 version at e3, they are dead to me.

Same here. They're garbage. I want PSO2 localized. I want it on my Vita D:

ramyeon

Man MH4U feels so good. I don't know if it's just on the New 3DS but the framerate is really, really good even with 3D on. Feels so much smoother than 3U did. And those colours! And the C-stick works so much better than I thought!

Didn't have enough time to play around too much but used the Charge Sword and I love it, seems like it'll take awhile to get used to the intricacies of how it works though. Took out the Gore Magala solo first time. Still got it.

Shengar

Man MH4U feels so good. I don't know if it's just on the New 3DS but the framerate is really, really good even with 3D on. Feels so much smoother than 3U did. And those colours! And the C-stick works so much better than I thought!

The framerate for normal 3DSXL is fine, and in regard to n3DS FPS, someone said that it have no effect on framerate, and it only improves load time. Still not sure about that, though I've heard that extra CPU juices couldn't improve FPS instantly.

If I'm gonna use Insect Glaive as one of my main, I better grab some pad because camera control is absolute necessary for this weapon.

Malyse

Didn't have enough time to play around too much but used the Charge Sword and I love it, seems like it'll take awhile to get used to the intricacies of how it works though. Took out the Gore Magala solo first time. Still got it.
Yah. I'm not a huge MH fan, but I really enjoyed the temporary diversion from Senran Kagura. Might have to cop MH4.

Reknoc

I've tried the Charge Blade but wasn't really a fan and I've tried the Insect Glaive which is really interesting, you can just about get away with not aiming with heavy use of lock on and positioning but it's a bit cumbersome. Either way I think I'll be sticking with Gunlance.

So I read a rumour on the monster hunter wiki that is relatively new. New as in the last time I checked the wiki it was not there.

Anyway, the rumour is that as monster hunter frontier is still expanding in asia, studies are being made if MH frontier will be released in europe or north america. I can only assume It's sales figures vs concurrent online users for mh3g and mh4g here.

If any of that is true, I just hope that they understand that the population of mh3g at the very least dropped significantly once people were reaching end game. I also hope mh4g sells well for 3ds. I think one of the reasons mh4g is not coming to wii u is simply to focus on performance on platform initially, and part of me believes that it will come out to wii u later. Even if wii u sales for mh3g were higher than 3ds.

I have seen on here frontier is bad because it's too grindy. I'm watching a taiwanese guy play frontier and it looks like the monster hunter we all know and love, but with just infinite more content. Personally, I think thats better, mh3g generally doesnt take long to reach a HR where everything is unlocked. At least with frontier there are more monster, more content, more gear etc etc etc, so you can continue to play the monster hunter we all know and love and never reach an end of the hording impulse.

Just my two cents, but monster hunter has been getting more and more popular over the in the west so I hope MH4u breaks some records.

Top Bottom