• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Discusses Why FFXIV Isn't on Xbox (Contradictions?)

Lazaro

Do you have a lino you where it said the bolded. I only ask because thats almost the exact opposite of what Yoshi-P has been saying. They whole idea was to not split the player base.

It comes from DualShockers which apparently is banned on gaf or something...

Heres the one you wanted: Square Enix Ready For Xbox One Version of Final Fantasy XIV at any Time, But it Might Not Happen Soon
make sure enter DualShockers in the web entry.

here the quote:
He also added that he even asked if it was possible to at least have the Xbox One version and the Windows version together on the same servers, but Microsoft didn’t accept even that solution, so they seem quite determined to keep things locked for the moment.

SkyOdin

So I don't get it. Why stopping Microsoft from greenlighting FFXIV on their console? Is it because of FFXIV's subscription model.

From the sounds of it, Microsoft just doesn't want crossplay with competing consoles. They are fine with Xbox/PC cross play (since I think there are a few games like that on the Xbox 360 or One?), but not Xbox/PlayStation crossplay.

Since Final Fantasy XIV supports PC, Mac, PS3, and PS4 players all on the same servers, they couldn't have both Xbox/PC and PS4/PC crossplay at the same time. I'm not sure I have ever heard of the idea of Xbox/PC only support mentioned before, since PS3 support was always intended to be implemented for Final Fantasy XIV from its initial announcement. The 2.0 launch of A Realm Reborn was them finally living up to that original promise.

From every interview with Yoshi P., he has made it clear that they want to put Final Fantasy XIV on every platform they can. That is why they have even made a Mac client (albeit a troubled one made via third-party middleware). If Microsoft let them, Square would port FFXIV to the Xbox One in a flash.

I think it might simply be an issue that Microsoft still sees themselves as the big fish in the pond, with the ability to strong-arm third party games into giving the Xbox favoritism. That mentality might currently exist merely out of momentum and a possible inflexibility in Microsoft's corporate culture, because right now, the Xbox One doesn't have a dominant enough market share to really leverage third parties into these sorts of concessions. Microsoft is currently unwilling to bend its policies to get more support, but doesn't have enough of a hand to convince third parties to bend. This current trend is overall bad for Microsoft as a result.

TalonJH

Oh right. Never mind then.

NP, sorry for the miscommunication.

It comes from DualShockers which apparently is banned on gaf or something...

Heres the one you wanted: Square Enix Ready For Xbox One Version of Final Fantasy XIV at any Time, But it Might Not Happen Soon
make sure enter DualShockers in the web entry.

here the quote:

Maybe MS only wants a XBL PC store version(bought through their store) to have crossplay with XB1 and not include the Steam and stand alone version. If that's what they want, it doesn't help the game. XB players would receive a less than optimum experience due to the low player population. It make the difference of being able to queue for a dungeon in 5 min vs 30 min.

Sifl

Based on other articles from dual shockers (which are probably inaccurate) apparently Xbox One only allows cross server / play on windows 10, so it's not just a Playstation issue. The only solution is everyone playing together. Windows 10 + Xbox One and Playstation + Windows 7 + 8 isn't a good solution.

Based on other articles from dual shockers (which are probably inaccurate) apparently Xbox One only allows cross server / play on windows 10, so it's not just a Playstation issue. The only solution is everyone playing together. Windows 10 + Xbox One and Playstation + Windows 7 + 8 isn't a good solution.
imo all multiplat games should allow for that...I know it's a stretch to make such a thing possible but I think if that were done, it'd be great.

Melchiah

Except yosp passion for games is truly genuine. Just look at how many hours he spends getting platinuming games (Dude's pretty boss at Bloodborne too). It's really easy to spot bullshit in this industry. People like Boyes and Shu are gamers at heart. It's not just about wearing indie game shirts.

And you don't see the other execs taking a nap when their developers speak. Things like that make him more humane and likable.

Hyun Sai

From the sounds of it, Microsoft just doesn't want crossplay with competing consoles. They are fine with Xbox/PC cross play (since I think there are a few games like that on the Xbox 360 or One?), but not Xbox/PlayStation crossplay.

Since Final Fantasy XIV supports PC, Mac, PS3, and PS4 players all on the same servers, they couldn't have both Xbox/PC and PS4/PC crossplay at the same time. I'm not sure I have ever heard of the idea of Xbox/PC only support mentioned before, since PS3 support was always intended to be implemented for Final Fantasy XIV from its initial announcement. The 2.0 launch of A Realm Reborn was them finally living up to that original promise.

From every interview with Yoshi P., he has made it clear that they want to put Final Fantasy XIV on every platform they can. That is why they have even made a Mac client (albeit a troubled one made via third-party middleware). If Microsoft let them, Square would port FFXIV to the Xbox One in a flash.

I think it might simply be an issue that Microsoft still sees themselves as the big fish in the pond, with the ability to strong-arm third party games into giving the Xbox favoritism. That mentality might currently exist merely out of momentum and a possible inflexibility in Microsoft's corporate culture, because right now, the Xbox One doesn't have a dominant enough market share to really leverage third parties into these sorts of concessions. Microsoft is currently unwilling to bend its policies to get more support, but doesn't have enough of a hand to convince third parties to bend. This current trend is overall bad for Microsoft as a result.

This is also what I think happened. Why Microsoft thought the 360 was the King of the world by just leading in the US/UK always baffled me. But it's this sentiment that lead to the Xbone policies.

Cmagus

Even if they made separate servers for Xbox one/PC it would fail right out of the gate, Good luck getting PC players who have been playing and making friends for 2 years to switch to these servers it just won't happen.

FFXIV has a two year advantage on the PS4 and there is no way Microsoft could just come in and do this, it would just be best to let it happen and let the Xbox One players join in the game and the solid foundation that's already in place.

This is also what I think happened. Why Microsoft thought the 360 was the King of the world by just leading in the US/UK always baffled me. But it's this sentiment that lead to the Xbone policies.
I just don't know if these moves are healthy for xbox as console. Even if PC with windows belongs to the same MS family I think partnering with playstation would secure the name xbox as console more.
With win/xbox crossplay and more and more xbox games available for windows - who needs the console in the end?
Spencer should pray that Halo will never appear on PC (okay, if this happens he knows already anyway).

Ploid 3.0

I don't even play FFXIV anymore (I may in the future again) and I would like to see FFXIV on anything that can run it. Why not? Stop being stubborn MS ,come on!

Melchiah

Wow this thread, wow.

So many spiteful, bitter, snidey and condescending posts.

Some people really do hate MS, eh and just revel in all this shit. Just something I've picked up on after not being here too long. Sad really.

I guess you weren't here during the first few years of last gen, when Sony got the same treatment for their blunders. You reap what you sow.

BigDug13

It makes no sense to have separate Xbox+Windows Crossplay servers and PS4+Windows Crossplay servers. What would the PC owner do? Choose between a PS4 capable server or an XBO capable server?

I think a lot of developers are going to go the route of Rocket League and put the higher population console in Crossplay with the PC and simply avoid XBO.

They should really rethink this policy if it causes more Crossplay PC game devs to choose PS4+PC. The XBO communities will be small across these games if they keep locking it out (if XBO gets the game at all.)

Shenmue

Banned
It makes no sense to have separate Xbox+Windows Crossplay servers and PS4+Windows Crossplay servers. What would the PC owner do? Choose between a PS4 capable server or an XBO capable server?

I think a lot of developers are going to go the route of Rocket League and put the higher population console in Crossplay with the PC and simply avoid XBO.

They should really rethink this policy if it causes more Crossplay PC game devs to choose PS4+PC. The XBO communities will be small across these games if they keep locking it out (if XBO gets the game at all.)

Yup it wouldnt work to just have crossplay with PC. If MS is adamant about their policy the only way it could possibly work would be if there was just like 1 server for only Xbox One players (this would be the maximum as there wouldnt be enough players to justify more servers). I would feel horrible for those people trying to duty finder for dungeons within just their server.

FFXIV allows PS4 and PC players to search for groups together across all servers. FYI for people not familiar with the game.

Sifl

It already sucks using the duty finder as a dps. If they made separate Xbox+Pc servers, well RIP all those dps players.

Shenmue

Banned
It already sucks using the duty finder as a dps. If they made separate Xbox+Pc servers, well RIP all those dps players.

Yuuuup. People would quit after the 30 free days when they realized that they had to wait 5 hours for a dungeon party. Can you imagine if someone dropped from the party? Fists going throuh that TV or monitor for sure.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It borders on delusional the mental gymnastics required to 'believe in Phil Spencer'. He does a great PR job where his fanbase just fills in his vague comments or consider his reasoning unimpeachable. Everything he says and the way he says it, is for a reason; everything is worth challenging rather than taking it as fact.

If I didn't know better it sounds like I was talking about a leader of a cult...

That annoying thing is he's likely a good bloke who is very competent in his role, its the crap he's associated with that makes such threads insufferable

ps3ud0 8)

sounds a lot like sony execs too really

And that makes no sense .
i'm talking about the articles , not your comment.
Because i agree, it's not a good solution , in the end for online based game , the only thing that splitting the userbase do is to kill the game at a very fast pace.

I remember Microsoft pulling the same thing with Phantasy Star Universe. PC and PS2 were cross play and the 360 version had their own servers.
And it didn't help at all.
The 360 version required live gold too.

That was , like , the perfect way to prevent an online community to grow

ZhugeEX

Banned
I don't know why Phil wouldn't want an online Final Fantasy game to come to Xbox One tbh.

Final Fantasy XI Online sold way more on Xbox 360 than on PS3 so that right there shows that an Xbox One version of Final Fantasy XIV would dominate.

Mael

I don't know why Phil wouldn't want an online Final Fantasy game to come to Xbox One tbh.

Final Fantasy XI Online sold way more on Xbox 360 than on PS3 so that right there shows that an Xbox One version of Final Fantasy XIV would dominate.

That's not hard at all.
I'm sure FFTA2 sold more on DS than on PSP too.

Ploid 3.0

There were no PS3 versions of FFXI. PS2 version was playable on PS3 though.

Wait, that was a sarcastic post wasn't it. :( doh

RexNovis

Banned
sounds a lot like sony execs too really

The only Sony exec that acts and speaks even remotely similar to Phil Spencer is Shawn Layden and I think GAF has made it abundantly clear how most feel about him. The rest of the Sony execs come across as remarkably genuine and since we don't have to treat everything they say as some sort of conspicuous word salad puzzle they've earned a bit of respect.

Phil Spencer, on the other hand, constantly puts his foot in his mouth talking to gamers as if they are morons who can't see through his bullshit (First class, It has a duration, the list goes on and on) and as a result he has been rewarded with some bizarre savior following that demands the elevation of literally every single comment out of his mouth. Please point me in the direction of this supposed parallel with the figures at Sony that so closely mirrors the baffling rise of Phil Spencer the cool guy gaming savior who is only answering to his superiors whenever he does anything suspect. I certainly don't see it.

If anyone wanted to know about this whole contradiction here is the link to the interview.

Link

They start talking about FFXIV at 65:05

Short version: (Interviewer literally said MMO, so yeah, Phil couldn't have gotten confused, he also mentioned it doesn't have to do with any policy/politics but denied to comment further)

Also some miscellaneous stuff if you guys are interested.

43:40 - Beginning of Interview

49:39 - Is XB1 profitable? (By his wording, it's still being sold at a loss)

53:16 - Xbox Slim/No Drive? (He said no to both)

56:10 - Xbox Elite

NoKisum

I'm trying to understand from MS' point of view. How will cross platform play hurt the Xbox brand? There must be something I'm missing.

Elandyll

Banned
That they're good execs who know what they're doing but the amount of crap about them on GAF is annoying?
We must not be remembering the same thing then...

Kaz and other arrogant execs got (justly so) a ton of shit circa 2006-2007 around the beginning of the PS3.
Layden got no easy pass either for being too Car-salesman-y much more recently.

Top Bottom