• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer reiterates all Scorpio games "will be playable on Xbox One "

Hoo-doo

Banned
You know, because that's exactly how they pitched it from day one. 'NO MAN LEFT BEHIND'.

And if it gets exclusive games a couple of years down the road, then who cares at that point. A whole new line of consoles will likely be around the corner by then and PC hardware will have already eclipsed the thing in hardware power anyway.

So yeah, good that they are reiterating on this.

RootCause

I want to know more about 360 bc. Hope I can just throw my discs in and play. Maybe improve framerate for games that are framerate unlocked.

If its ryzen as rumored. May very well be.

Plenty of console devs will still target 30 for reasons though. Parity, less work, etc.
There's a new rumor?

AEdouard

What's confusing? It's their PS4 Pro only stronger.

I think it's working well for Sony. I don't see how this is bad for Microsoft either. At least it's a focused message: here's a more powerful Xbox that plays the same games, but prettier. It's not the messaging mess that was the Xbox One launch.

I want to know more about 360 bc. Hope I can just throw my discs in and play. Maybe improve framerate for games that are framerate unlocked.

There's a new rumor?
Honestly, PS4 Pro is kind of underwhelming and bottlenecked, and they are pushing it as a bigger upgrade, so it would be pointless if they used those old and underpowered Jaguar cores again. 4 Ryzen cores with hyperthread would be a huge upgrade.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Really want them to just officially show this thing off in May so we can get a better picture of their strategy because right now it's hard to make sense out of it.

This is true, right now there are so many different ways this could go.

People have somehow convinced themselves, against all evidence, that this is actually an entirely new console gen. I have no idea how or why they have come to that conclusion, but that is why they are "confused" when MS repeatedly says the opposite.

Boke1879

They are called Scorpio games, that's a good sign. Maybe they will be down ported (scorpio first, then get it working on Xbox One base), letting the Scorpio base have freedom, which translate to awesome PC versions I hope.

Fam they will be no different than PS4 and PSPro games.

No dev is going to go all out on the Scorpio only to port down. Makes no sense with all the base Ps4's and Xbox Ones out there

How many times does he have to say it

As long as there is a sizeable number of people who carry on claiming Scorpio will be getting it's own exclusives outside of VR games, Phil will occasionally have to correct them. He doesn't want recent xbox owners feeling they have bought into a soon to be redundant console. 'No one left behind' was the catchphrase and Microsoft cant' turn their back on that promise.

heringer

As long as video game developers have freedom to make the game they want to make, you will never, EVER get a 60fps console

NEVER EVER

But here's the thing: the game they want to make is being developed for a far weaker hardware. They can add a few bells and whistles, but nothing that fundamentally changes how the game is developed. 60 fps is an option they could very well afford to offer, like some games already do with PS4 Pro (but fail to deliver).

AEdouard

As long as video game developers have freedom to make the game they want to make, you will never, EVER get a 60fps console

NEVER EVER

Yeah, pretty beats fluidity almost every time, no matter how powerful the hardware is.

Maybe we'll get to a point where perceivable increments in visual quality are just not noticiable enough compared to higher framerates (even from the perspective of console developers) that we'll finally transition to 60 fps, but that will take forever, especially with the adoption of 4k, which is freaking demanding.

jelly

They will until they don't. That's the gist of it.

Don't buy an Xbox Scorpio if you want a next gen console, buy one because you want to play nicer looking and better performing Xbox One games. You only have yourself to blame if you end up being disappointed when Microsoft dump Scorpio for Xbox 5.

AEdouard

But here's the thing: the game they want to make is being developed for a far weaker hardware. They can add a few bells and whistles, but nothing that fundamentally changes how the game is developed. 60 fps is an option they could very well afford to offer, like some games already do with PS4 Pro (but fail to deliver).

Trouble is that they're focused on 4k (or semi 4k), which sips all the power. Scorpio isn't that powerful. It's about a 1/3 stronger than a Ps4 Pro and, probably, not as capable as a Gtx 1070. It will work hard for that 4k.

No dev is going to go all out on the Scorpio only to port down. Makes no sense with all the base Ps4's and Xbox Ones out there
Ultra Settings (Win 10 PC, Xbox Scorpion)
Normal Settings (Xbox One).
Low Settings

Developers do it all the time.

Yes it's microsofts PS4 Pro with a better marketing, and more confidence behind it. Which will hopefully make a better case for irritive consoles.

Glad we can all agree.

Most games are developed on high end PCs and then ported down.

Boke1879

Yes it's microsofts PS4 Pro with a better marketing, and more confidence behind it. Which will hopefully make a better case for irritive consoles.

Glad we can all agree.

Marketing for this hasn't even started so we don't know how good it's going to be. You can have all the confidence in the world. It still most likely will see similar sales to the Pro

My mind is blown that it is exactly what they said it is

Anyway I don't want to hear about Scorpio again until they unveil it. It seems like they just keep reminding us that it exists every few weeks

Marketing for this hasn't even started so we don't know how good it's going to be. You can have all the confidence in the world. It still most likely will see similar sales to the Pro
Marketing started last E3.

When you say similar to the Pro, you probably mean better than the PS4 pro and I agree. MS will probably sell more than the pro did in the same time frame.

Boke1879

Most games are developed on high end PCs and then ported down.

But the Scorpio will not be the "base" model for devs. It'll continue to be the slim/ One S.

A devs isn't going to invest too much into making the Scorpio version all it can be simply because the install base isn't there.

First response is terrible and reeks of delusion.

I can't believe how hard it is for some people to realize that Scorpio is not a new generation.

Falchion

Playable yes, but I bet some of the games get paired down for OG Xbox Ones like how Black Ops III didn't even include the campaign on 360.

BibiMaghoo

And still people will argue it is something more, and it will have it's own games. So many people just do not listen.

Fisty

Hmmm further evidence for my "Scorpio is a UWP box" theory. Maybe he's referring specifically to first party with "every game on Win 10" thing

LordofPwn

People have somehow convinced themselves, against all evidence, that this is actually an entirely new console gen. I have no idea how or why they have come to that conclusion, but that is why they are "confused" when MS repeatedly says the opposite.

Their original E3 message made sense to me, it's a more powerful xbox one, no one gets left behind. The confusing part is their strategy and messaging.

jelly

Playable yes, but I bet some of the games get paired down for OG Xbox Ones like how Black Ops III didn't even include the campaign on 360.

What games would those be. PS4/Pro still exist and will be the main driver until PS5/Xbox 5.

You will see games like that the same time as always, straddling two generations so PS4/Xbox One while PS5/Xbox 5 in are in year 1/2.

First response is terrible and reeks of delusion.

I can't believe how hard it is for some people to realize that Scorpio is not a new generation.
Right. MS is not doing generations anymore. Just putting faster x86 into their hardware and sticking to windows 10 as their core.

Scorpio 2 will be an irritive console.

So will scorpio 3.

So will Scorpio 4.

Hasn't that been pretty much the narative since the E3 reveal.

Yes, but certain segments of the video game fan population remain willfully myopic and obtuse about said narrative.

This is old news--we knew before that the Scorpio was going to be what the PS4 Pro is to the PS4, only the Scorpio is going to be significantly more powerful than the XB1(s), PS4, or PS4 Pro.

And if they eventually come out with a Scorpio-only lineup down the road, I don't see why that would be a bad thing--after all, iOS and Android eventually have newer hardware requirements to run new software and games, and what Sony and Microsoft are going for is to emulate the sales and hardware replacement tactics of the mobile market, right?

But the Scorpio will not be the "base" model for devs. It'll continue to be the slim/ One S.

A devs isn't going to invest too much into making the Scorpio version all it can be simply because the install base isn't there.

I think alot of that falls down to the game engine as far as what's a large investment and what isn't.

Top Bottom