• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Scorpio will have a console price point, not compete with high-end rigs

spwolf

so if it is $499 for cheaper model, will people who are led to believe that it might be $399, be mad at Microsoft or?

It is obvious that they are trying to hold off people moving to PS4 by doing some "please wait" PRs on Scorpio, VR and games... so just please wait.

TNH853

by the end of 2017 there will be ps4pro deals for 300, they need to go 400 or less. on the other hand, they wont have a chance outside the us and uk anyway. so maybe go with 500 and make a profit.

Scorpio might have been announced too early, but let's face it, given the amount of Sony announcements, if MS didn't have anything in store people might think they are pulling out of the console market. At least with Scorpio incoming it seems like MS have some kind of fightback plan. And the fact that they are coming back to making the most powerful console in the market is generally good, as I'd argue it was one of the key selling points of their first two consoles.

Last machine I purchased was a 360 that was purely for 3rd party because Microsoft don't have any exclusives that interest me.

After my annoyance of what's going on with the Pro, I'm this '' close to returning the Pro, keeping my Ps4 and going for my first ever Gaming PC (budget @ £1100).

Now if only Microsoft had 1st Party exclusives that I liked, I'd totally dismiss the Gaming PC, buy a Scorpio and keep original PS4 (for Sony exclusive single player games only). I'd get rid of Psn subscription and go Live all whilst smiling a big fuck you to Sony. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Scorpio has some exclusive deal with Bethesda though for totally upgraded Skyrim & Fallout which obviously could be fully modded and giving amazing results akin to what I've seen on YouTube that almost represent a High End PC.

Shame it's not out till next year because although Gears/Halo/Forza don't do a thing for me at all, I'd still buy one, keep original ps4 for exclusives, possibly sub to Live and fuck psn off and just hope for some Microsoft exclusives that I'll like. After all, I'd still have an old ps4 for exclusives and I'd be pretty confident that 3rd Party would be a whole lot better on a Scorpio. I wouldn't be surprised if all previous games on Xbox One would look better on Scorpio too, unlike a Pro.

Timing...damn!

fast_taker

i am more than willing to pay 499$ for scorpio. But considering that most of us own mobile phones that cost 600$+++ to make calls and send text messages, i think that I could pay even more considering the raw power of scorpio and the performance benefits

I've not been following Scorpio that much but if the hardware was & remains locked down since the reveal then the tech inside will be 2-3 generations old by the time it launches. A price point similar to the Pro wouldn't be that surprising given how quickly hardware prices drop once newer generations arrive.

Kathanan

Microsoft is going to force us to buy Scorpio..aren't they? By not supporting the one with new games because the Scorpio's games will look like sh*t on the xbox one.

iceatcs

Of course, it is already old announced. 6TF is just standard by next year.

Just hope the CPU is not further lacking.

EvB

Microsoft is going to force us to buy Scorpio..aren't they? By not supporting the one with new games because the Scorpio's games will look like sh*t on the xbox one.

Not for a number of years, Scorpio is being set up so that a game gets made for Xbox One and it runs at native 4k on the Scorpio.
You may do 4K AND games that look beyond what a current gen machine can do

MilkyJoe

Div nae talk shite.

How do you think FH3 looks on Xbox? or Battlefront? Or anything else that is on both console and PC.

Sjefen

Trying to decpher Phils words for the price off the scorpio has become a monthly pratice:

Last month prediction: 599-699$(high end console)
This month prediction: 499-599$ (his word made it sound cheaper somehow)

GHG

Gold Member
Trying to decpher Phils words for the price off the scorpio has become a monthly pratice:

Last month prediction: 599-699$(high end console)
This month prediction: 499-599$ (his word made it sound cheaper somehow)

If he keeps this up it will be free for everyone by the time it releases.

jelly

Doea this add more fuel to the new CPU fire for Scorpio

A full spec has been published for the systems needed to drive the new range of affordable HMDs, providing more details beyond those that had been inferred previously. As expected, the graphical requirements are quite a bit lower than those demanded by HTC for the Vive or Oculus for the rift:

Processor equivalent to a mobile Core i5 (dual core/four thread)
DirectX 12-capable GPU equivalent to the Intel HD Graphics 620 (the mid-range Kaby Lake integrated GPU)
8GB RAM in dual channel mode
HDMI 1.4 for 2880×1440 at 60Hz, or HDMI 2.0/DisplayPort 1.3 for 2880×1440 at 90Hz
100GB of disk space (SSD preferred)
USB 3.1 generation 1 Type-A or Type-C
Bluetooth 4.0

A Jaguar CPU wouldn't be enough for these.

$1000 is not a high end rig though...

2k+ is a high end rig, can go much higher..

So... Anywhere between $399-$1000? ;)

Still think it's going to be $499-$599 with previous comments.
$599 is an entry level rig really, barely.

high end rigs start at $799
i got
gtx 1070
i7 6700k
16gb ddr4 ram
256gb ssd

and payed less than 1 grand

Cartho

Last machine I purchased was a 360 that was purely for 3rd party because Microsoft don't have any exclusives that interest me.

After my annoyance of what's going on with the Pro, I'm this '' close to returning the Pro, keeping my Ps4 and going for my first ever Gaming PC (budget @ £1100).

Now if only Microsoft had 1st Party exclusives that I liked, I'd totally dismiss the Gaming PC, buy a Scorpio and keep original PS4 (for Sony exclusive single player games only). I'd get rid of Psn subscription and go Live all whilst smiling a big fuck you to Sony. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Scorpio has some exclusive deal with Bethesda though for totally upgraded Skyrim & Fallout which obviously could be fully modded and giving amazing results akin to what I've seen on YouTube that almost represent a High End PC.

Shame it's not out till next year because although Gears/Halo/Forza don't do a thing for me at all, I'd still buy one, keep original ps4 for exclusives, possibly sub to Live and fuck psn off and just hope for some Microsoft exclusives that I'll like. After all, I'd still have an old ps4 for exclusives and I'd be pretty confident that 3rd Party would be a whole lot better on a Scorpio. I wouldn't be surprised if all previous games on Xbox One would look better on Scorpio too, unlike a Pro.

Timing...damn!

This post is just....
thatsbait.gif

Top Bottom