• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people are mocking this but it is HUGE. If I could do this with some of the guys from America I have on my friends list from GAF I could potentially play games while they are at work or asleep and vice versa.

Ultimately this means a lot of free games for me. There are a ton of games like Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider which I have yet to play but could be so good if I could play them from a friends account right now. Might honestly be a system seller.

grumble

I'm wondering if you can join more than one group, if your games also get shared, and if joining is permanent.

Could be a neat feature if implemented loosely, though I can see the abuse potential.

Ensoul

I will admit this is a great idea. However I am confused because they allow this but they will not allow rentals or lending.

badb0y

This makes no sense lol.

Can all 10 people play at the same time?

Wouldn't this go against the whole point of implementing an online-DRM console? It's not like I buy a game and pass it around to 10 other people I know....

This is either too good to be true or they aren't telling us the whole story.

EGM1966

This does sound good but I'm not convinced it'll remain as is without some caveats creeping in.

Sony had sharing with PS3 (different approach but similar result in many ways) and eventually cut it down amid reports the service was being abused.

Now here's MS trying to cut of/control used games (which remains a huge mistake and CliffyB has helpfully chimed in to confirm a similar lack of understanding) yet allowing game sharing which could easily cut into new games sales and will be monitored in the same was as Sony did on PS3 to see how many games are being bought vs shared and how it relates to general sales.

Bottom line, I expect them to see way too much sharing vs buying and cut back or hobble the service. I'd like to be wrong and will watch with interest to see how it pans out. The core concept is very good even though it's being swamped under the DRM/used game/limited launch countries stuff.

Jomjom

Banned
Publishers forced Sony to end their 5 console gamesharing, how are they going to feel about 10?

If this is for real, publishers will definitely be losing quite a few sales as even with a smaller userbase and with only 5 people sharing, pubs were saying they were losing lots of sales on PS3.

Pretty damn cool for Xbone owners.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That is exactly the catch. Plus everyone having to be a Gold subscriber, no doubt.

Even with everyone being a gold subscriber, it is STILL costing the publishers 9 sales whereas used games probably 1 or 2. It's mind-boggling. No way it works this way.

from Bgamer90 in another thread:

ScreenShot060_zpse40f3ea8.png

damaph

Still think there is a catch to this feature. The company that decided to implement all their DRM and other weird things all of a sudden is gonna let you share all your games with any 10 people any time?

lol. And by limitation I mean something more than the one at a time thing.

I feel the same way. It seems like it's too good to be true. This could cut your game costs by a factor of ten with just a little of planning with your "family".

tfur

is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time.

Yep. One person, at any given time. Not so hot, and not going to be much fun to share with: "Hey family, lets play this, check this out!".... "Sorry, single serving Xbone." "Input One!"

Next clarification:
Can all 10 be playing your shared games at the same time, if they are not the same game?

Struct09

This could actually be really cool. Usually if it sounds to good to be true it is, so I'll hold my excitement for when the thing actually comes out.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I assume you'd have to download the bluray game for this to work? Then it'd get deleted when you stop playing or after 24 hours?

The system is ofc not final but my understanding is that I'll always be able to play the games in my collection regardless but anyone in the family trying to play a game from my collection won't be able to use the same game at the same time as me. I'm guessing only one of those ten can play a game simultaneously. But even so the system sound fantastic, there must be some sort of catch... What if we already know that catch? What if the catch is restricted resale etc? Then it's all fine by me. Sharing ftw.

RMI

Banned
everything about this 1 very specific policy is very awesome. Unfortunately it is on a console that is otherwise an abomination, being sold to consumers by executives who are proving themselves to be monsters wearing human flesh.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is actually pretty fucking nice.

If you compare this to other online services this is unprecedented...

I don't know about that. You used to be able to share and play with 5 people, from a pool of 5 on PS3. Now it's share and play between 2. Microsoft's is share and play between 2 from a pool of 10.

I wouldn't call it unprecedented as such. It's similar to what we've had before with different rules.

The big question I would have about this, given all other policies, is whether pubs can opt out of this on their content.

badb0y

Even with everyone being a gold subscriber, it is STILL costing the publishers 9 sales whereas used games probably 1 or 2. It's mind-boggling. No way it works this way.

Yea this is way worse for the publishers than the traditional method LOL

If true, I might actually buy 'One'

HA.

I want to see it in operation at launch. Sounds GREAT. Well, until Halo 8 comes out and you get it on launch night and share it and all 10 of your friends want to play it, despite you actually only wanting your ACTUAL sibling to play your shared copy. lol.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If this is actually how it is and I only have to buy every 10th game in my gaming group, that's huge.

I guess CliffyB won't like that though, as that takes even more money out the gaming industry.

I'm wondering if you can join more than one group, if your games also get shared, and if joining is permanent.

Could be a neat feature if implemented loosely, though I can see the abuse potential.

Yeah, I have a lot of families.

I mean my parents are divorced.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
My assumption originally was that it would be 10 sub-accounts from your console, this is definitely better. I do still wonder whether you can ever (and if so, how often can you) change the 10 people you can share with. Also I would assume two people can't play the same game at any time but could your friend play another game that you are sharing while you play a different one?

Wait, you can play the same game at the same time by ten different people, I mean family members?

I'm I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like one/two people can play the same game at any one time. The other 8 people can play a game from your shared library.

I'm pretty tired tho, so someone else might want to chime in here.

statham

This makes no sense lol.

Can all 10 people play at the same time?

Wouldn't this go against the whole point of implementing an online-DRM console? It's not like I buy a game and pass it around to 10 other people I know....

This is either too good to be true or they aren't telling us the whole story.

same time but maybe not same game.

So I can buy a game and all 10 of us can share it for only $60? We're only paying $6 for a game at that point....

If that's true....I'm back on board lol

Since none of you can play simultaneously, you could do the same with a disk on any other console (except you're not limited to just 10 people). Of course this is a little more convenient since you don't need to actually hand the disk to someone else, which is cool.

Wait so if I purchase a game me digitally, my friends can download it too? We can share as long as we arent playing it at the same time?

If that is the case im gonna need a bigger hd.

stuminus3

In the pa article...
Um... that same PA article says...
“The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time,” Ars Technica reported after speaking with Microsoft Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi.
So what they seem to be saying is two people can access the library at any given time, but if one person is already playing the game, nobody else can - though they can play other games in the library.

Eusis

Still think there is a catch to this feature. The company that decided to implement all their DRM and other weird things all of a sudden is gonna let you share all your games with any 10 people any time?

lol. And by limitation I mean something more than the one at a time thing.
Maybe it won't tell who's playing your game and thus it's a complete gamble. Or they can just cut into your game, making for a "family" of complete assholes.

Catches likely include being in the same region, and the fact that if it doesn't work out they WILL cut the numbers down by quite a bit. Game sharing was a huge problem on PS3 for awhile and I can't believe they're essentially diving right into that here, but on steroids and officially condoned.

If this is actually how it is and I only have to buy every 10th game in my gaming group, that's huge.

I guess CliffyB won't like that though, as that takes even more money out the gaming industry.

Well disk games can be shared among much more than 10 people. MS basically just allows you to share games now I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom