• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: You can share your Xbox One games with any 10 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiloa

While it sounds good, I can imagine some things which get in the way of the usefulness of this:
  • Sharing works both ways, but it takes a family member 'slot' off both
  • Worse potentially, secondary connections through your family slots get auto-added to your family (since everyone should be your family, right?). Therefore those ten slots could get swallowed up quick.
  • Family members cannot be changed
  • If one player is playing a game that is shared between family group, nobody else can play any other game from that same family list.

Jarmel

Banned
What would be the point of all of your friends buying cod or any game then. Everybody put in 6 dollars and we all share. I dont think this right

Well for COD, people want to play multiplayer and this would be a hard limit of two at a time. This would cut the price of a game though in half if you know what you're doing.

Omega

Banned
so much for defenders saying there will Steam-like sales.

No way any games goes below $40 on Xbox if they're letting you share with up to 10 people. Sony ended that shit real quick and they let you share with up to 5 systems.

Sobriquet

This actually seems like a good way to sell games. If one of your "family" members enjoys a game, then they'll want to be able to access it at any time. In theory. Right?

They never says its free, unless i missed it. Could the catch be, each person has to pay a fee to be able to do this? Like you can borrow it, but you have to pay $20 or something.

There has to be a catch, if publishers were pissed about used games, this seems just as bad if not worse.

Valnen

I thought the catch to this was that they all had to have physical access to the same console? Another words, it's even less than what you can already do to begin with?

Owzers

Publishers forced Sony to end their 5 console gamesharing, how are they going to feel about 10?

This makes no sense that publishers are fine with this but not rentals, but it's a great feature if Xbone can maintain it. Let's wait to see what publishers have to say when their community managers see the " Gaf game sharing OT - Xbone libraries for everyone" thread. Are people going to be selling a spot out of their 10 to others for money?

see5harp

Still must be a major catch, like only one person playing at a time, etc.

No way does Microsoft rail against used games that cost a publisher 1 or 2 sales and then replace it with a system that costs publishers 9 sales. It makes absolutely no sense.

Highly, highly doubtful.

Even if you couldn't play the same game at the same time, for most single player games that I typically would just rent and be done with, this would be incredibly awesome.

His wording make it sound like you can participate on only one family group, but otherwise seems a nice feature.

Ms should come clean on what exactly will we be able to do or not.

PhatSaqs

Banned
everything about this 1 very specific policy is very awesome. Unfortunately it is on a console that is otherwise an abomination, being sold to consumers by executives who are proving themselves to be monsters wearing human flesh.
Lmfao.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well disk games can be shared among much more than 10 people. MS basically just allows you to share games now I guess.
But not at the same time. Every single person can buy a game and share it while keeping it.

This is better than loaning.

Meier

This is a nice feature but the limitation of one person using it at a time means it's pretty much only going to be useful if someone is like in another country or something with a notable timezone difference and we know that they won't even be able to use the game then most likely.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Lol so we need to get 10 people together, have each person buy a game (we'll decide on a list) and share it with everybody else, and then we're all only paying for every tenth game we get.

What's the flaw in my logic?

Salaadin

I think this is a great idea...but based on the way MS has been communicating everything recently, I cant help but think theres a catch here.

-If I add someone to my family and they tap into my account to play one of my games, can I play another, different game?
-Can people jump in an out of familys at will or are they locked in?
-Can the family member earn their own achievements and keep their own saves or is all that tied to my account?

I also dont understand why I need to add someone to my friends list for 30 days in order to give them a physical game...but I can add them to my family and they can play my digital copy just fine, without restriction.

I wish the press would push for more details on this. Its too good of a feature and you would think MS would be pointing out the single, solitary good thing about their otherwise nasty DRM ridden mess. Why arent they talking about it more?

This seems like something they should be bragging about a little louder...but they don't. Which leads me to believe there's something they don't want to divulge about it yet.

Yep my thoughts exactly

Why on earth wouldn't MS be shouting this from the rooftops or at least mention the ruddy feature in their E3 conference if it as good as it appears on paper?

I still think there is some catch that makes it not worthwhile, a catch big enough to stop MS from really trying to sell it as a big feature of the console

I guess time will tell

Still think there is a catch to this feature. The company that decided to implement all their DRM and other weird things all of a sudden is gonna let you share all your games with any 10 people any time?

lol. And by limitation I mean something more than the one at a time thing.

If your in it for the long run.
Then cock blocking your consumer to trade in their games.
Will make them a bit more loyal when the next next gen is around the corner.
I mean if you spend $240 on ios app that will weight in when you can get a new phone or want a new phone. I can go android or wp but then i loose all those ios app i paid for :'( sort of feeling.

Instead of just making kick ass games. I think the reason going with x86 is just so they can have guaranteed backward compatibility.

Still digital only license and region locking sounds so bad.
Thought with digital only your games would always be with you.

Walshicus

Gee, thanks Microsoft....

You can be sarcastic, but in practice it's better than the PS4 method for a large number of use-cases.

My gaming friends do not live in the same town as me; we're spread throughout England and Scotland. If I want to lend a game I have to either post it or travel to them. This system makes sharing games much easier and (aside from an initial download) instant.

How many games can I "loan out" at a time?

Is there a duration of loan?

Are all features accessible when loaned?

If I lend an online MP game that I activated on one account to another (Gold) user, can they use that activated copy without restraints? Would the achievements be on their account, or on mine?

I refuse to believe there isn't a catch.

All of the DRM and periodic authentications business exists to please publishers and all of a sudden they're allowing one copy of a game to be shared amongst 10 people?

Raptor

Dude, this means I could buy a Xbox One and never buy a game, because I may have a family member that is loaded and I just play his games in my console whenever I want.

This is too good to be true.

Someone please explain.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Still must be a major catch, like only one person playing at a time, etc.

No way does Microsoft rail against used games that cost a publisher 1 or 2 sales and then replace it with a system that costs publishers 9 sales. It makes absolutely no sense.

Highly, highly doubtful.

Exactly. I mean this is MS we're talking about, I can't see them saying "Hey we're gonna block used games and lending/renting games, butttt.... you can buy one copy and give it to 10 of your friends to play for free! Fuck the publishers and royalty fees!"

if thats true that is amazing, IF ITS like we think it is lol

but I always figured you as the main owner of the game can knock off any member of your family from playing the game once you want to play it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm confused. Is it concurrent or not? If it is, then great. If it's not, then that would discourage me from sharing anything with friends, whether it kicks them off or just locks me out.

LQX

This sounds great but I don't see how this is not 10x worse than used games. To me this creates a situation where their is a chance publishers will lose out more and you can basically set up share clubs.

see5harp

That is exactly the catch. Plus everyone having to be a Gold subscriber, no doubt.

It's obvious you'd need to be online for this to work with authentication. No doubt, if you had to put something behind a paywall, you'd use this. Maybe publishers would agree for a percentage of gold costs like what Spotify and rdo do with music plays. Perhaps the cost of Gold will be increasing for everyone.

Crisco

Banned
I sincerely hope no one is actually thinking they are going to allow 10 people to simultaneously play a game that only person bought. I'm guessing the "catch" is that it's a time limited share, like 24 hours, where you can essentially give your "family group" a free preview of the game. Then they have to buy it.

While it sounds good, I can imagine some things which get in the way of the usefulness of this:
  • Sharing works both ways, but it takes a family member 'slot' off both
  • Worse potentially, secondary connections through your family slots get auto-added to your family (since everyone should be your family, right?). Therefore those ten slots could get swallowed up quick.
  • Family members cannot be changed
  • If one player is playing a game that is shared between family group, nobody else can play any other game from that same family list.

Counterpoint: Without this feature, NOBODY would be playing a shared copy in the first place, because there would be no shared copy. :)

It's really hard to be critical of good shit, and this is very, very good shit. Headline-worthy shit. This feature alone will drive a lot of XOne sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom