• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

So a store in my hometown in Holland, the store where i got my OLED EC9300 is holding a discount on several OLED sets. I am not going to do it. But anyone who also lives in Groningen, The Netherlands, or close....maybe this is interesting for you.

https://plattetvdiscounter.nl/actie...tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mailing_20160729

LG 55EF950V - normally 3999 and now 2999

LG 65EF950V - 5999

LG 65EG960V - 5499

LG 55EG910V - normally 1999 and now 1799

LG 55EG920V - 2699

EDIT

I just checked Pricewatch from Tweakers and these prices really aren't that special after all.

By the way, i am surprised by how cheap this set is

LG 55EG910V

Can be purchased for 1648

I purchased a 55EG920V at MediaMarkt back in April. I believe they sold it for €2999 back then but managed to talk the price down to €2599 :D

Nice!

There are several very good LG OLEDs aren't there? So at the end of 2017 surely there will be sets like these or better and affordable too. Sure it probably won't be the high end latest sets of today but still very good. I don't think i can go back to LCD/LED next year when i am going to look for a 4K+HDR TV. Inky blacks can't be unseen. :)

Anyone with a 4K tv, specifically an Lg OLED, find some really "dark" shows to be really chunky? I've tried watching Daredevil in 4K and Hannibal which is only 1080p. Both have a ton of low light shots and are really hard to adjust settings for. Hannibal I can almost give a pass because it's HD, but there are plenty of scenes in Daredevil that have a ton of noise.

Maybe is just the "film grain" style they're going for? But even in open shots, outside with light, there can be plenty of it. If I turn the brightness up, I get a whole bunch of noise. If I turn it down to reduce the noise, I crush a lot of details.

I guess, tl,dr is: what the hell am I doing with my settings / are some shows just gonna be noisy?

Kyoufu

Anyone with a 4K tv, specifically an Lg OLED, find some really "dark" shows to be really chunky? I've tried watching Daredevil in 4K and Hannibal which is only 1080p. Both have a ton of low light shots and are really hard to adjust settings for. Hannibal I can almost give a pass because it's HD, but there are plenty of scenes in Daredevil that have a ton of noise.

Maybe is just the "film grain" style they're going for? But even in open shots, outside with light, there can be plenty of it. If I turn the brightness up, I get a whole bunch of noise. If I turn it down to reduce the noise, I crush a lot of details.

I guess, tl,dr is: what the hell am I doing with my settings / are some shows just gonna be noisy?

Some shows just aren't produced well. Like, Breaking Bad and Daredevil are both grainy. Check out Gotham and you should see it doesn't look as bad. It's not your TV, it's just poor source material.

BruceCLea

Banned
How does the Vizio P-Series work as a computer monitor? I'm a PC gamer and I hook my tower up to my TV. I read about the 4:4:4-4:4:2 kerfuffle but I don't really get it. Is there no issue now?

Some shows just aren't produced well. Like, Breaking Bad and Daredevil are both grainy. Check out Gotham and you should see it doesn't look as bad. It's not your TV, it's just poor source material.

That's what I figured. Bit of a bummer since I was always really looking forward to Daredevil, but I'll check out Gotham as an example

A lot of compression schemes that are used with digital video have a really hard time with dark shots/scenes. You will see all sorts of noise and macroblocking in the darkness. It's not your TV or settings, though you could probably minimize seeing the noise if you crush the blacks some. Things like Netflix and Hulu are the worst with this, followed by cable/satellite, then broadcast TV, and finally Blu-rays where you see it the least. Basically, the more it's compressed, the worse these scenes will look.

Hi guys.

I'm in the market for a 4k TV and need some help, it's been a little daunting for me.

I mainly want to use it for gaming (PC for now, 4k consoles later), so low input lag is high on the priority list. I also don't want much more than 40 inches because that's avout the high end of what makes sense for my set up.

I was looking at this...

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/d-series-4k-2016

...Visio D model, and while the input lag looks fantastic, it only supports 4:2:0 while doing 4k/60, and there's only one HDMI 2.0 input out of five inputs, so all the others are 4k/30. This may become an annoyance once ps4k and such are out, though that's not the biggest deal.

Are there some TVs in the 40 inch range with low input lag that support better than 4:2:0 at 4k/60 that you guys can recommend? I'm Canadian if that matters for models.

New002

Best Buy delivered my P65-C1 today!!!

Oh, but the screen was shot to shot and ruined in transit. They set up, we turned it on and it was a mess. They packed it right back up. Time to reschedule a new
delivery :(

LG OLEDs have issues displaying near-black content, making it appear blocky and ugly.

It's a known issue. You can calibrate it to lessen the issue but mostly it's something you'll have to get used to. It's less of a problem the better quality the source material is.

Here's a HDTVtest.co.uk quote on it regarding the 920v OLED.

According to LG, the above-black handling on its 2015 OLEDs is done at lower than 8-bit gradation, which explains various dark-scene phenomenons (especially with less-than-pristine video signal) such as false contouring, increased noisiness, misfiring pixels, and intermittently floating blacks (video black would light up ever so slightly even after we’ve set [Brightness] correctly against a PLUGE pattern). While careful calibration at the lower end could attenuate some of these issues, the only surefire method to make all these above-black artefacts disappear was – ironically – to lower [Brightness] and crush some shadow detail.

finalflame

So, when playing Marco Polo on my KS8000 using the Netflix app, it doesn't tell me the TV is now playing HDR video like it does for UHD BRs. You know, the little notification that comes up on the top of the TV. I also can't find any button to press to see playback info to know if HDR is active or not, or even what resolution the stream is currently in.

Any ideas? Is it normal for the TV not to notify that HDR content is being played for Netflix?

Edit: I found where to get to Info (123 button -> ( i ) ) , but still don't see any indication the video playing is HDR ;/

Here's the info:

XAHnO7m.png

(excuse the grain as I was using digital zoom from my couch; too lazy to get up ;p)

And here's the usual notification I never get on Netflix:

IM9GMWw.jpg

So, when playing Marco Polo on my KS8000 using the Netflix app, it doesn't tell me the TV is now playing HDR video like it does for UHD BRs. You know, the little notification that comes up on the top of the TV. I also can't find any button to press to see playback info to know if HDR is active or not, or even what resolution the stream is currently in.

Any ideas? Is it normal for the TV not to notify that HDR content is being played for Netflix?

Edit: I found where to get to Info (123 button -> ( i ) ) , but still don't see any indication the video playing is HDR ;/
Probably your Netflix app hasn't been updated to play HDR content or your network connection lacks the required bandwidth.

You should be seeing the notification.

Also, you should be able to tell the difference ;)

finalflame

Probably your Netflix app hasn't been updated to play HDR content or your network connection lacks the required bandwidth.

You should be seeing the notification.

Also, you should be able to tell the difference ;)

I haven't seen it in HDR, so I mean, hard to be able to tell the difference ;)

Also, it's definitely not my network:

5516038695.png

My TV is hardwired to a gigabit switch. And my Netflix app is the most recent + displays the HDR capability of the title.

Edit: And my provider is not throttling Netflix, here's Netflix's own speed test:

cvdS0Zb.png

Here's the info:

XAHnO7m.png

(excuse the grain as I was using digital zoom from my couch; too lazy to get up ;p)

And here's the usual notification I never get on Netflix:

IM9GMWw.jpg

Does your TV support dolby vision? I think marco polo is dolby vision and not hdr10.

I haven't seen it in HDR, so I mean, hard to be able to tell the difference ;)

Also, it's definitely not my network:

5516038695.png

My TV is hardwired to a gigabit switch. And my Netflix app is the most recent + displays the HDR capability of the title.

Edit: And my provider is not throttling Netflix, here's Netflix's own speed test:

cvdS0Zb.png

I think your AVForums inquiry will yield better results victorm ;)

Can't really think of anything else it could be..

finalflame

I think your AVForums inquiry will yield better results victorm ;)

Can't really think of anything else it could be..

Thanks bud ;)

I actually just got a great response over on AVS, quoting below for others who might have the same question:

For reasons undisclosed by Samsung, that message only appears when the HDR source is an external device. The way to tell if the set is actually decoding HDR, from whatever source, is to be in Movie mode and then note whether the set maxes out backlight and contrast. (You might want to first make sure you didn't already set those to the max before you check this.) No Movie mode, no HDR. The reason for that also remains "undisclosed."

MrJames

You should be able to tell when HDR turns on. Is it just for Marco Polo or all Netflix HDR? If the latter, maybe the Netflix app in your TV isn't updated for HDR yet.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LG OLEDs have issues displaying near-black content, making it appear blocky and ugly.

It's a known issue. You can calibrate it to lessen the issue but mostly it's something you'll have to get used to. It's less of a problem the better quality the source material is.

Here's a HDTVtest.co.uk quote on it regarding the 920v OLED.

It's not that the LGs have problems displaying it - it's that the compression techniques used never have had to deal with a TV that can display that black range. Streaming stuff will show this badly

Watch a Blu Ray or a 4K disc and you'll see no problems I. The black range.

It's the source, not the TV. Though you can crush that black level to hide it

Dead

well not really...yet
It's not that the LGs have problems displaying it - it's that the compression techniques used never have had to deal with a TV that can display that black range. Streaming stuff will show this badly

Watch a Blu Ray or a 4K disc and you'll see no problems I. The black range.

It's the source, not the TV. Though you can crush that black level to hide it
Some Blu-Rays have it too. Game of Thrones on Blu-ray has terrible near black performance in my Oled.

Kyoufu

Some Blu-Rays have it too. Game of Thrones on Blu-ray has terrible near black performance in my Oled.

And again, that's down to the Blu Ray in particular not being up to snuff. This applies to some 4K UHD Blu Ray movies as well. Not all of them are going to look top notch.

Gitaroo

How long until hdr become very common even on low end tv? I am thinking about picking up a cheap 4k tv but will feel stupid if they start showing up on budget next year.

Kyoufu

If you want an example of a bad source, try Breaking Bad on Netflix. It's the grainiest thing I've ever seen and it's supposedly streaming in 2160p...

Meanwhile, Marco Polo looks like something out of this world.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
If you want an example of a bad source, try Breaking Bad on Netflix. It's the grainiest thing I've ever seen and it's supposedly streaming in 2160p...

Meanwhile, Marco Polo looks like something out of this world.

Breaking Bad was shot on Film while Marco Polo was shot on Sony's F55 cameras.

Kyoufu

On August 13 our satellite TV provider Sky will be launching their 4K UHD service. 124 Premier League football matches, 70 movies, yadda yadda yadda. I'll probably sign up this week as I want to watch the football in 4K.

Anything similar for US cable providers/networks?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
On August 13 our satellite TV provider Sky will be launching their 4K UHD service. 124 Premier League football matches, 70 movies, yadda yadda yadda. I'll probably sign up this week as I want to watch the football in 4K.

Direct TV offers it, and MLB.TV's game of the week and the Olympics are in 4k.

Really it'll all move fast once ESPN offers a 4k channel, but they are skittish after their 3D channel failed miserably (and I'd actually be excited about ESPN 3D now given how amazing 3D is on the OLEDs)

RedRum

Banned
So guys. I opted for the Samsung 55 inch 4K LED (Samsung UN55KS8000). The LG OLED at over $2500 was out of my price range. I wanted this specifically for gaming and the game mode that it comes with to minimize input lag is superb. I am VERY happy with my purchase.

Direct TV offers it, and MLB.TV's game of the week and the Olympics are in 4k.

Really it'll all move fast once ESPN offers a 4k channel, but they are skittish after their 3D channel failed miserably (and I'd actually be excited about ESPN 3D now given how amazing 3D is on the OLEDs)

Olympics in 4K, through direct tv that is? Or through a different service?

Canon

Banned
Xbox one burnt in on my plasma TV by waking itself up at night when I'm sleeping for no reason ...turns receiver and TV on randomly and ruined TV

I ran screen wipe but it has been there for days

Xbox one burnt in on my plasma TV by waking itself up at night when I'm sleeping for no reason ...turns receiver and TV on randomly

Ouch. I don't let the X1 issue power on/off commands for this very reason. Don't want it turning things on or off at inappropriate times. I don't have a plasma but I have a rear projection set and wouldn't want it wasting my bulb life.

finalflame

So guys. I opted for the Samsung 55 inch 4K LED (Samsung UN55KS8000). The LG OLED at over $2500 was out of my price range. I wanted this specifically for gaming and the game mode that it comes with to minimize input lag is superb. I am VERY happy with my purchase.
Recently became a 65KS8000 owner. You will love it, it's amazing. I've never owned a TV this good and the design itself is delightful to look at. Post pics/impressions once you get it!

robo

currently have a pioneer kuro and looking at going 4K at Xmas time.

Is the only downside to the Sony sets the input lag?

Other option is maybe a panny.

U.K. Based.

People in here stating near black issues on OLED are due to the source.

IT'S NOT JUST THE SOURCE.

Sorry!

The near-black issues are well-documented and even confirmed by LG.

According to LG, the above-black handling on its 2015 OLEDs is done at lower than 8-bit gradation,

Telling people over and over that it's the source does nothing to alleviate their issues. You can calibrate your TV to lessen the impact, but it will come at a price of eg. crushing blacks slightly.

pswii60

People in here stating near black issues on OLED are due to the source.

IT'S NOT JUST THE SOURCE.

Sorry!

The near-black issues are well-documented and even confirmed by LG.

Telling people over and over that it's the source does nothing to alleviate their issues. You can calibrate your TV to lessen the impact, but it will come at a price of eg. crushing blacks slightly.
Yes that was last year's OLEDs, but the effect is a combination of the content and the TV. It's not an issue with this year's OLEDs though (source: me upgrading from a 950 to a B6).

Yes that was last year's OLEDs, but the effect is a combination of the content and the TV. It's not an issue with this year's OLEDs though (source: me upgrading from a 950 to a B6).
Still an issue, but not as pronounced. Apparently this is partly why:

the E6V’s default [Brightness] position of “50” has been purposely set up from factory to crush some shadow detail so that most users won’t pick up its near-black foibles. Once we raised [Brightness] to its correct reference value, we could see that the television was applying dithering to shadowed areas to better mask above-black blockiness.

But you're right; it's not as much of a problem anymore on 2016 sets.

Btw: I'm not saying blockiness is never due to the source. Of course it can be, especially with streaming video. But saying it's always the source is misinformation.

iMax

Xbox one burnt in on my plasma TV by waking itself up at night when I'm sleeping for no reason ...turns receiver and TV on randomly and ruined TV

This is my personal nightmare. Which plasma do you have?

For my Panasonic, I had the Xbox 'orb' retained into the top right of the panel for—and this is not an exaggeration—around 10 months.

I think burn in is incredibly rare these days. But extreme, long-term retention is very much a real issue.

Kyoufu

currently have a pioneer kuro and looking at going 4K at Xmas time.

Is the only downside to the Sony sets the input lag?

Other option is maybe a panny.

U.K. Based.

What's your price range? And is OLED out of the question? Asking because going from a Kuro to LCD may produce disappointing results, depending on which one you buy.

Bessy67

Man, I wish there were better options for cable providers near me. Time Warner doesn't even do 1080p in my area yet.

MrJames

Looks like another OLED sale is happening.

55" B6/C6: $2,500
65" B6/C6: $4,000

55" E6: $3,500
65" E6: $5,000

For those who bought one recently, check your return period. You might be able to get some money back

Recently realized that my current TV has a CCFL backlight and as such doesn't have a lot of uniformity issues. Never thought about that. Always thought it was just a fat edge lit. That would explain me being disappointed with the KS9000 I had. Guess it's only FALD or OLED for me then.

For those who bought one recently, check your return period. You might be able to get some money back

These motherfuckin $ prices. The 55" E6 is 5500€ here. That's around $6000.

sector4

If you want an example of a bad source, try Breaking Bad on Netflix. It's the grainiest thing I've ever seen and it's supposedly streaming in 2160p.
You're confusing a stylistic choice made on purpose for poor quality. Being able to see grain means that there's a lot more definition in fhe picture you're seeing. It's not a bad thing. Though if that's not appealing to you, there are settings on modern TV's that can reduce that. Look for settings like DNR or Digital Noise Reduction.

I've been planning on waiting until this holiday to pull the trigger but this is really tempting.

How much further are prices expected to drop as the year goes on?

You're confusing a stylistic choice made on purpose for poor quality. Being able to see grain means that there's a lot more definition in fhe picture you're seeing. It's not a bad thing. Though if that's not appealing to you, there are settings on modern TV's that can reduce that. Look for settings like DNR or Digital Noise Reduction.

Maybe I'm crazy, but DNR has always resulted in a worse visual effect than grain / noise. For every patch it smooths out, it always feels "late," making things have a terrible blur to them. It defaulted to "on" for the b6 HDR setting and I turned it right off while watching Pacific Rim.

Fitts

But saying it's always the source is misinformation.

Just clicked on this thread, seen the OLED near-black comments, and was about to respond with everything you've already posted. Spot on.

This sounds like one of the 3D Panasonics which were (on the whole) more retentive than they should've been. The pixel flipper on the Disney WOW calibration disc works well for getting rid of stubborn IR. If you don't have that, try to find a video of good old white noise, put it on a flash drive, and run it on a loop.

Top Bottom