• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Impulsor

Yeah. I'm leaning towards keeping it. I'm trying to upload a couple of photos so you guys can see.

EDIT:
https://imgur.com/a/fIt8S

In the image of the full. TV, the dead pixel. Would be right bottom corner, right inside the green of the game app, in the bottom left corner of the green rectangle.

Can't be seen from the sofa.

Meh3D

What prices are people purchasing the Visio P55-C1 Series for? I thought they went for less. I returned the KS8000 because I ended up realizing that I put too much money towards an interim solution so now I'm looking for something in the mean time and want to keep it at 1-1.2k and something between 45-55 inches. (I went crazy spending 2.8k buying an big set, extended warranty, wireless sound bar and woofer etc...) May just get the 49 KS8000 at 1.2k which there doesn't appear to be a difference between the other models unlike the set below the P55 in the series.

What prices are people purchasing the Visio P55-C1 Series for? I thought they went for less. I returned the KS8000 because I ended up realizing that I put too much money towards an interim solution so now I'm looking for something in the mean time and want to keep it at 1-1.2k and something between 45-55 inches. (I went crazy spending 2.8k buying an big set, extended warranty, wireless sound bar and woofer etc...) May just get the 49 KS8000 at 1.2k which there doesn't appear to be a difference between the other models unlike the set below the P55 in the series.

I'm holding out for a sub-$1k 55" P-series after tax during Black Friday. I think you can get one open box from Best Buy for $1200 after tax.

Smokey

My TV choices are down to 4:

1. OLED LG C6
  2. Sony 930D
  3. Samsung KS9000
  4. Vizio P65-C1

My head is telling me LG, but I'm really worried about input lag compared to the other sets. I have read the RTings reviews for all 4. I dunno m8s :x

x3sphere

1. OLED LG C6
  2. Sony 930D
  3. Samsung KS9000
  4. Vizio P65-C1

My head is telling me LG, but I'm really worried about input lag compared to the other sets. I have read the RTings reviews for all 4. I dunno m8s :x

It's fine IMO. I have no problems going back and forth between my X34 monitor and the C6. Obviously the X34 feels more responsive at 100 Hz, but at 60 it's hard to tell a difference.

Also I think the C6 at 32ms is actually lower than the 930D's input lag. You might have been looking at the B6 review, as Rtings hasn't reviewed the C6 yet, but it's the same as the E6 in lag.

Rodin

1. OLED LG C6
  2. Sony 930D
  3. Samsung KS9000
  4. Vizio P65-C1

C6 all the way.

Kyoufu

1. OLED LG C6
  2. Sony 930D
  3. Samsung KS9000
  4. Vizio P65-C1

No need to worry. 34ms on the C6 is good.

It's fine IMO. I have no problems going back and forth between my X34 monitor and the C6. Obviously the X34 feels more responsive at 100 Hz, but at 60 it's hard to tell a difference.

Also I think the C6 at 32ms is actually lower than the 930D's input lag. You might have been looking at the B6 review, as Rtings hasn't reviewed the C6 yet, but it's the same as the E6 in lag.

Not only that but Rtings' B6 input lag test is incorrect. It's 44ms, not the 50+ they claim.

Bessy67

Can anything be done to fix light bleed on edge lit TVs? There is a small brighter band running across the top edge of my Samsung 55" KS8000 and while it isn't really that bad it is noticeable.

1. OLED LG C6
  2. Sony 930D
  3. Samsung KS9000
  4. Vizio P65-C1

Yeah, as others have said, your #1 pick is rightly #1.

I am unabashedly a Vizio convert after getting the P65-C1. It's an outstanding set, but it was also my concession to have a very affordable 4K set while OLED technology matures.

Can anything be done to fix light bleed on edge lit TVs? There is a small brighter band running across the top edge of my Samsung 55" KS8000 and while it isn't really that bad it is noticeable.
No, that is the nature of the technology.

I tried massaging my KS9000 and shit and it only alleviates the problem for a couple of minutes. The way these TVs are build they will go back into light bleed zone again and again.

MCD

To call or not to call. Still undecided if a little bottom light bleed is worth a fuss or not.

Xun

The KS7000 has a VA Panel, which means better black levels but narrower viewing angles compared to an IPS panel. Overall it should be a better TV than those two, thanks to the VA Panel and the Quantum Dot tech.

If you want an OLED TV at a similar price to the KS7000 you can still buy the EG9100 (EG910V in Europe), which offers a better iq than any LED TV currently on the market, but it's a 1080p TV.
Thanks for the help!

The KS7000 is likely what my dad will get, but we shall see.

If it was up to me we'd go for the LG 55B6V, but it's about £1,000 more and since it's OLED no one truly knows how long it would last.

Kyoufu

Thanks for the help!

If it was up to me we'd go for the LG 55B6V, but it's about £1,000 more and since it's OLED no one truly knows how long it would last.

John Lewis/Richer Sounds do 5-6 year warranties anyway so I'm not even a little bit worried.

Smokey

What kind of games do you play on the C6? I mainly play FPS and sports titles, where timing is important.

Samsung and LG. Get on allowing 1080@120hz as an option like Vizio/Sony and maybe Free-sync ;) down the line and you'll have my business. Until then I'll be waiting for the first who can deliver a 50" with those features and a great OLED or VA panel.

Rodin

Thanks for the help!

That's not an issue, a 2016 OLED lifespan is 100.000 hours.

Anyway i think your dad will be happy with the KS7000 too, it's a great TV.

What kind of games do you play on the C6? I mainly play FPS and sports titles, where timing is important.
32ms isn't an issue in any kind of game, unless you play competitive Street Fighter.

Darknight

You get everything with the Vizio, it's also reviewed as best gaming TV available, with the lowest input lag. Assuming you're talking about the P Series. I would say its rubbing elbows with Samsung and Sony best in stores.

Sadly its not the P series. Those are way over his budget of $800. Looks like its an E series that is 60in.

Any recommendations for a 60in HDTV in that price range that is good for gaming an movies? 4K a bonus but I dont think its needed.

Xun

That's not an issue, a 2016 OLED lifespan is 100.000 hours.

Anyway i think your dad will be happy with the KS7000 too, it's a great TV.

32ms isn't an issue with in any kind of game, unless you play competitive Street Fighter.
That's good to know! Cheers.

I wonder if I could try and convince him...

Out of curiosity though, how do the blacks on a VA compare to a plasma?

Rodin

That's good to know! Cheers.

I wonder if I could try and convince him...
Well you have to at least try!

Out of curiosity though, how do the blacks on a VA compare to a plasma?
Plasma is still better, which is mostly why people say that the only logical upgrade for Plasma owners is a OLED TV.

EDIT:

about the Z9D "4000 nits", from the hdtvtest article:
When asked specifically whether the ZD9 can hit 4000 nits, a company spokesperson coyly suggested that the figure only applied to the prototype unveiled at CES. Our best guess is that the Sony 65ZD9 (which has no fans behind the TV, and carries an energy efficiency rating of “B“) will do between 1500 and 2000 nits.
Still a bit higher than the current best TVs (Samsung KS9500 and Pana DX902), and Backlight Master Drive sounds really amazing.

shockdude

Are there any input lag numbers for the Vizio 1080p D-series? The only number I've found was from rtings.com, and I want to make sure it's accurate.

Bestbuy had a sale with $200 off. So i bought mine at $1,344 including the geek squad warranty and tax.

Supports DolbyVision and should have an HDR10 update within the next two weeks.

I never paid attention to it but on my Xbox One I can select three different things under Video Fidelity. 24 bits per pixel (8 bit) 30 bits per pixel (10 bit) 36 bits per pixel (12 bit). Default is 24 bits per pixel. Do I change this? I have the LG EC9300 OLED.

br3wnor

Hey guys, I've had this thread subscribed for like 2 years now in anticipation of finally getting a new TV, and that day is almost here.

Been using a 42" 1080p Samsung LCD since 2011 and while it's been a trooper, I'm getting a house and finally have an excuse to splurge on a new TV.

I'm going to have my PC hooked up to the TV so will play games on it that way, otherwise it'll be used for TV/Movie viewing. I still haven't measured it out yet but I believe I'll be around 5-6 feet away from the wall once everything is set up, so I've been looking at 55-65" TV's. I want to keep the budget under $1,000 and am torn about 4K v. 1080p.

I don't have a good enough gaming PC for 4K gaming so that's not really an issue. However, I would definitely be into 4K Blu Rays if the quality difference is worth it. If I have $800-$1,000 to spend:

Sony XBR55X810C 4K

Is that my best bet for the budget?

And if 4K isn't really worth it at this juncture, are there any 65" 1080p TV's that would be worth getting over this (in the same price range)? I apologize for being an idiot with all this but I'm really not well versed in the latest and greatest with TV's. Thanks for the help

Quan

So guys I need you to help me out please I consider buying screen that support 4k in preparation for PS4 Neo.

Have two choices right know:

1- LG 55" UF770T
2- TCL 55" E5800

Is the difference between the two deserve the difference in price?

Rodin

65" E6 arrived today.

It's amazeballs.
Congrats, but you won't get away with that comment after such a purchase. We want impressions!

So guys I need you to help me out please I consider buying screen that support 4k in preparation for PS4 Neo.

Have two choices right know:

1- LG 55" UF770T
2- TCL 55" E5800

Is the difference between the two deserve the difference in price?
I never heard of the TCL, but according to rtings the LG isn't particularly great and the input lag is too high to consider it for gaming. What's your budget?

Kyoufu

Congrats, but you won't get away with that comment after such a purchase. We want impressions!

The blacks are actually black which is a nice change from my 2009 plasma which unfortunately looked grey instead. Watching Gotham on Netflix which is 1080p and it looks pretty good, but when you see Marco Polo in 4K + Dolby Vision, your jaw hits the floor.

Oh and I watched a high quality version of the E3 Horizon Zero Dawn gameplay demo and WHEW, can't wait to play that on this TV.

Quan

I never heard of the TCL, but according to rtings the LG isn't particularly great and the input lag is too high to consider it for gaming. What's your budget?

I have limited budget around 1000$.

New002

Bit the bullet and ordered a P65-C1. Set to arrive this weekend. Xbox One S next weekend. I had a timeline and did not stick to it lol. Let's do this.

Rodin

The blacks are actually black which is a nice change from my 2009 plasma which unfortunately looked grey instead. Watching Gotham on Netflix which is 1080p and it looks pretty good, but when you see Marco Polo in 4K + Dolby Vision, your jaw hits the floor.

Oh and I watched a high quality version of the E3 Horizon Zero Dawn gameplay demo and WHEW, can't wait to play that on this TV.
Sounds great, as expected. Really curious to see some Dolby Vision content when the 2016 OLEDs will come out in Europe.

And yeah Horizon, and games in general will look amazing on that set. Enjoy it.

Do you have any banding on yours? I don't see any during normal content, but the possibility of it popping up at some point is in the back of my mind.

Stunning picture quality though, no matter what I throw at it.
Banding is a common issue on large TVs, my EG9100 suffers from it, but it's nothing too bad. Vignetting on the other hand is a bit more annoying, but it shouldn't be a problem on your set. If you don't see any banding during normal content don't worry too much about it.

I have limited budget around 1000$.
Check out the Vizio P Series 2016, the 50" is 999$ at best buy. The Samsung KS8000 is an excellent alternative and it's only a tad more expensive (1197$ on amazon.com).

People returning thier KS8000's is making me nervous.
I've only seen praise for that set, why are they returning it?

MrJames

Do you have any banding on yours? I don't see any during normal content, but the possibility of it popping up at some point is in the back of my mind.

Stunning picture quality though, no matter what I throw at it.

I can see a little banding on the 5% and under slides but it doesn't show in content. Seems to be the case for most owners.

Try some 3D. People who don't normally like it tend to become fans seeing it on these displays.

Kyoufu

I can see a little banding on the 5% and under slides but it doesn't show in content. Seems to be the case for most owners.

Try some 3D. People who don't normally like it tend to become fans seeing it on these displays.

Trying Star Trek Into Darkness tomorrow in 3D. Not expecting much since I don't think my eyes are very well suited for the format.

By the way the picture quality on 4K content is blowing me away right now.

I havent needed nor wanted to buy a new TV for a long ass time, as my kuro elite has been irreplaceable. But, the time is coming now when PC power is catching up and 4k 60fps will be a reality.

Every LED i have seen, tbh, in terms of colour, contrast. viewing angles, whatever, has been totally sub par. I have been totally spoiled by the kuro, so i have started looking at OLED. But i can only see LG ones. Does nobody else make OLED? Has there been any word of any other OLED manufacturers?

I havent needed nor wanted to buy a new TV for a long ass time, as my kuro elite has been irreplaceable. But, the time is coming now when PC power is catching up and 4k 60fps will be a reality.

Every LED i have seen, tbh, in terms of colour, contrast. viewing angles, whatever, has been totally sub par. I have been totally spoiled by the kuro, so i have started looking at OLED. But i can only see LG ones. Does nobody else make OLED? Has there been any word of any other OLED manufacturers?

Mah man. I'm on a Panny 55 ST60 and have been unimpressed by almost everything so far.

My buddy picked up the 65EF9500 (65" flat lg OLED). It looks really nice. i didn't think the resolution would impress me much, but man, Witcher 3 at 4K looked amazing on that set (even at sub 30fps, i'm rockin' a 980).

i've been keeping an eye out also. I'm not sure I'm willing to part with $5K for a new set; OLED is primed to drop a bunch in the next couple years as yields get better but goddamn that 4K looked amazing

mr stroke

never had an issue with OLED lag my self, and I recently just played-DOOM, Heroes of the Storm, INSIDE, and Killer Instinct all this past week

ACH1LL3US

1. OLED LG C6
  2. Sony 930D
  3. Samsung KS9000
  4. Vizio P65-C1

Smokey... I have used the ks9000, ks9500 and own a 55e6 oled and I honestly feel that the lag is too high on the oled whereas on the Samsung it is perfect.

This is for console gaming, if your pc gaming you can turn off vsync and the oled imho should be totally fine for gaming. Obviously you can turn off vsync while using the samsung and get even lower lag.

People returning thier KS8000's is making me nervous.

I will note that my set is starting to come apart at the rear for no apparent reason, It's a cosmetic issue.There is some build quality issues. But I'm happy to say even with those issues this set has been great for me for the past two months.

Impulsor

About my KS9000, I'm going to the store after work today and I'm going to see my returning/Exchanging options.

I'm still not completely decided because I'm afraid I'll get a worse set than I currently have.

So yeah.

Fucking dead pixels.

Top Bottom