• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I mean

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that the stage show is one of force, but

Can we stop pretending the shows have anything but a few memorable moments in all of them? Like, aside from the "We're not doing anything different (btw also paid multiplayer)" moment from Sony's conference, what leaps out at you about that show? Because the only other thing I remember was Ubisoft giving a demo of AC4 that crashed on stage. The only thing I remember from the year prior was "Great job, Jeremy" from a game I can't remember if it ever even came out. I don't remember Microsoft's at all except being livid about Dead Rising 3's demo and there was probably a long Call of Duty demo in there, too. Damned if I remember either Ubisoft or EA's conferences.

Yes, these press conferences are basically quasi-orgasmic blazes of hype and the great benefit is the mainstream coverage you get from them. But the conferences themselves are mostly boring tedium.

Best way to put it.

I mean

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that the stage show is one of force, but

Can we stop pretending the shows have anything but a few memorable moments in all of them? Like, aside from the "We're not doing anything different (btw also paid multiplayer)" moment from Sony's conference, what leaps out at you about that show? Because the only other thing I remember was Ubisoft giving a demo of AC4 that crashed on stage. The only thing I remember from the year prior was "Great job, Jeremy" from a game I can't remember if it ever even came out. I don't remember Microsoft's at all except being livid about Dead Rising 3's demo and there was probably a long Call of Duty demo in there, too. Damned if I remember either Ubisoft or EA's conferences.

Yes, these press conferences are basically quasi-orgasmic blazes of hype and the great benefit is the mainstream coverage you get from them. But the conferences themselves are mostly boring tedium.

The other thing I, and I think most, people, remember from Sony's conference last year was "We're pricing this thing at 100 dollars less than the competition (after a last-minute drop of the fairly widely-advertised PS4 camera which probably would have led us to approximately match in price; we just chose to go after our biggest competitor specifically so that we could price ourselves lower)!"

I would argue that, outside of multi-platform ports, nothing that's come out on Wii U really looks like it couldn't have been done on Wii (outside of being HD resolution).

I mean, sure, on closer inspection there's lots of stuff going on with Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World. But even those games don't look very distinct from what was on Wii.

All those recycled Wii-engine games (NSMB, DKC, MH3, etc.) aren't helping.
Wow now this is extremely goofy..

StevieP

Banned
I would argue that, outside of multi-platform ports, nothing that's come out on Wii U really looks like it couldn't have been done on Wii (outside of being HD resolution).

I mean, sure, on closer inspection there's lots of stuff going on with Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World. But even those games don't look very distinct from what was on Wii.

You could make this same post about any console currently on the market, as many already have.

javac

Infamous SS looks like it could of been done on the PS2. Of course if you look close enough you'll see the amazing lighting and animations and high res textures and other stuff going on but if I squint juuust enough it don't look very distinct from what was on PS2.

Seriously think about what you just wrote :^/

Nerokis

I also was looking forward to a press conference, but either way, Nintendo seems to be stepping it up quite a bit this year. They're leveraging the space itself more strongly through the Smash tournament, but also making a stronger push to leverage the digital side by having a constant Treehouse presence throughout the event. Things like the YouTube video posted, and the recent Smash and Tomodachi Life Directs, also give hope that the "Digital Event" this time around will be presented much more strongly; and besides that element of presentation, one can imagine the game trailers themselves aren't going to ring the "safe and underwhelming" note the utterly no-drama 3D World and DKC:TF trailers did.

I'm pretty excited, actually. It should be a great E3. Last year was understandably dominated by the hardware itself, and although I'm sure there will still be some of that, I'm feeling extremely optimistic about the software side of things this time around.

AdanVC

I just can't get over how exciting this line sounds:

"Game fans, this is the one you’ve been waiting for. Tune in to the Nintendo Digital Event at 9 a.m. PT for a look at what’s in store for 2014 and beyond."

Those bolded parts, I don't remember Nintendo teasing that way on last year's E3 so maybe this could definitely be the one we've been waiting for. The possibilities! Aghh six weeks left tough.

On the press, I have a feeling that it's not just them left out of the loop by the lack of a conference, but also the cutting out of the play experiences for them. Specifically, the exclusivity. Traditionally, one of the appeals of E3 coverage, apart from the trailers and conferences, is the press's play impressions. Up until last year, they were largely playing games that had never been played by the general public. Now, however, thousands of 'regular' people also get the chance to experience the games at the same time as the press. It takes away some of that exclusivity that I am sure affects traffic numbers numbers for them; why would I need to read Geoff's Mario World impressions if I played it myself, or a friend did and shared their experience with me. Certainly, some of the value of the press impressions are lost. I'm sure there are also some in the enthusiast press who, to some extent, enjoy being part of that 'gate keeper' to information for average Joe/Joanne gamer; something that is totally eroded by simultaneous public demos.

Not only are they not getting exclusive hand-fed light & sound shows, but they're also not even getting press-exclusivity on play impressions. As I've said before, it totally makes sense that some people would be annoyed, because nobody likes realizing they're not as needed as they thought they are.

Mariolee

I can't stop watching the announcement video. It was just so well done. Everytime Rocko says "Pfft guess no Smash Bros. for you ha" I DIE laughing.

?oe?oe

Nintendo, the leaders in revolution. Media is corrupt in all industries, the sooner we lose them the better. Wake up sheeple! Turn off your TVs!

I'm serious. Mostly.

I just can't get over how exciting this line sounds:

"Game fans, this is the one you’ve been waiting for. Tune in to the Nintendo Digital Event at 9 a.m. PT for a look at what’s in store for 2014 and beyond."

Those bolded parts, I don't remember Nintendo teasing that way on last year's E3 so maybe this could definitely be the one we've been waiting for. The possibilities! Aghh six weeks left tough.

Just like how they said, gamers the WiiU is for U......and delivered an underpowered, over priced machine with a severe lack of games especially third party.

I would hope they would show games beyond 2014, considering we knew about 2014's lineup in 2013 and that Zelda is going to be there.

Its just PR dude

rekameohs

Banned
I like how the real Reggie just completely forgot to go to the important boardroom meeting.

And the Fils-a-Mech seems to have a glitch where it starts smiling when it's handed water.

AniHawk

Not only are they not getting exclusive hand-fed light & sound shows, but they're also not even getting press-exclusivity on play impressions. As I've said before, it totally makes sense that some people would be annoyed, because nobody likes realizing they're not as needed as they thought they are.

well at least they still get to cut in front of the line.

Just like how they said, gamers the WiiU is for U......and delivered an underpowered, over priced machine with a severe lack of games especially third party.

I would hope they would show games beyond 2014, considering we knew about 2014's lineup in 2013 and that Zelda is going to be there.

Its just PR dude
Of course they will show games beyond 2014

Sendou

#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros., 3D Mario game, Mario Kart and other Wii U titles in our #NintendoDirectNA before the start of E3

and

To view a new installment of Nintendo Direct, which will provide updates about future Wii U games, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct on June 11 at 7 a.m. PT.

This is what they said last year. They are certainly hyping this up a lot more than they did last year but I doubt it will correlate with the content.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Play Nintendo video on YT, at 07:49 GMT, almost 18 hlurs after the release

402,439 views - 15,000 likes / 283 dislikes

This is totally hitting the million soon, if it goes on like this.

Moxx19

Banned
Now I must admit I have not been keeping up with Nintendo news of late. I keep hearing that Zelda U is going to be shown at E3. Can someone link me to the quote that said this? Because I honestly didn't know this was going to be the case.

AniHawk

i don't think the 'beyond' part is too cryptic. i think smash bros. is the big 2014 title with bayonetta 2, yoshi, hyrule warriors, sonic, and maybe something like animal crossing or whatever their nfc software is to pad out the calendar year. zelda will be shown this year, be playable at e3 2015, and be the holiday title next year (hyrule warriors is the console 'zelda' this year). x may be far along that it makes it for the fiscal year but misses the calendar year.

so along with zelda and x, fatal frame and smt x fe are pobably 2015 games at the earliest. who knows what else will come out at this point. the weird pikachu thing maybe. who knows.

i'm curious as to when they'll start talking about qol. i wonder if they'll do it next wednesday and save a section of the digital event devoted to that. give people a month to get used to the idea and then unveil it in full-force. it is supposed to be out a year from now, and it's going to require its own software support.

Marlowe89

Now I must admit I have not been keeping up with Nintendo news of late. I keep hearing that Zelda U is going to be shown at E3. Can someone link me to the quote that said this? Because I honestly didn't know this was going to be the case.

Excluding the fact IGN reported on it, I'd be surprised if they didn't showcase it after the no-show at last year's E3. I think it's safe to assume we'll be seeing the new Zelda title this time around considering how long it has been in development.

Play Nintendo video on YT, at 07:49 GMT, almost 18 hlurs after the release

402,439 views - 15,000 likes / 283 dislikes

This is totally hitting the million soon, if it goes on like this.

Bullshit! Only press conferences can generate buzz!

Nerokis

Its just PR dude

Amazing. So because the Wii U's lack of emphasis on pushing tech doesn't meet your personal definition of "for gamers," you're going to be skeptical of any PR statement that insinuates announcements for gamers are coming, even if it's in the context of an upcoming event like E3? What about literally every Nintendo Direct so far?

I think the chip on your shoulder is blunting your rationality in this case.

Its just PR dude

And they made the remarks you described at an (in the eyes of Nintendo) investor- and press-centric event, whereas the tweet is more probably aimed at their more hardcore market just like their Directs generally are. These Directs are more "for gamers" than the live conferences are.

The directs that focus really far into the future ("2014 and beyond"; the famous January Direct was described beforehand as focusing on the coming year, when few games were announced, if I recall correctly) are generally when we get the biggest megatons. It's the narrowly focused ones, such as the Directs that are beforehand described as focusing on games coming in specific quarters or seasons of the year (Fourth quarter of 2013, spring of 2014, etc.) (which, by the way, are never described as "the one you've been waiting for")that generally have far fewer big announcements.

I recall, too, that before E3 last year, someone drew a correlation between how far in advance the Direct is announced versus how massive and numerous the announcements are, but I don't know if this hypothesis still holds true a year later.

And they made the remarks you described at an (in the eyes of Nintendo) investor- and press-centric event, whereas the tweet is more probably aimed at their more hardcore market just like their Directs generally are. These Directs are definitely more "for gamers" than the live conferences are.

The directs that focus really far into the future ("2014 and beyond"; the famous January Direct was described beforehand as focusing on the coming year, when few games were announced, if I recall correctly) are generally when we get the biggest megatons. It's the narrowly focused ones, such as the Directs that are beforehand described as focusing on games coming in specific quarters or seasons of the year (Fourth quarter of 2013, spring of 2014, etc.) (which, by the way, are never described as "the one you've been waiting for")that generally have far fewer big announcements.

I recall, too, that before E3 last year, someone drew a correlation between how far in advance the Direct is announced versus how massive and numerous the announcements are, but I don't know if this hypothesis still holds true a year later.

Its usually the smaller directs that specify the season. Of course an E3 direct is going to be on the future hence 2015.

We already know of 3 2015+ titles anyway: Zelda, SMTxFE and X

AniHawk

Its usually the smaller directs that specify the season. Of course an E3 direct is going to be on the future hence 2015.

We already know of 3 2015+ titles anyway: Zelda, SMTxFE and X

i still remain under the assumption that x could make it this year. it seems a lot further along than people think. it should be out in japan if anything else. i think four years of dev time for any game is when it starts going from polished back into unpolished territory.

Toparaman

Banned

Dunno if a Zelda U showing has been confirmed, but all of the music in the announcement video is from Zelda. Kind of an odd decision, and I think there's a reasoning behind it.

Tomohawk

I see both sides of the live no live press conference and it seems to come down to execution. The only sure thing is if Nintendo does it like they did it last year they would be pretty dumb.

FryHole

Dunno if a Zelda U showing has been confirmed, but all of the music in the announcement video is from Zelda. Kind of an odd decision, and I think there's a reasoning behind it.

I think this is as much as we've had about Zelda U at E3 this year:

Can you tell us anything about the Wii U Zelda game?

I'll say more at E3 2014.

Now admittedly, 'saying more' could amount to a 5 second clip of a harassed-looking Aonuma saying "fuck me, HD towns are hard" before fading to "2016...?"

I see both sides of the live no live press conference and it seems to come down to execution. The only sure thing is if Nintendo does it like they did it last year they would be pretty dumb.

Exactly. If the games are there the hype will be there.

The reason nobody remembers Nintendo's Direct last year isn't because it was a stream, but because it was a really lackluster showing.

If they show some amazing games and they still get ignored, then we can assume the streaming format is the reason behind it.

BM8

Neo Member

fhm7Ve.jpg

That Zelda music right before the Reggie Mech was going to open the door to unveil the e3 secrets...

AniHawk

it's going to be really awesome when the new console zelda will highly resemble a link between worlds and people will just flip the fuck out.

BM8

Neo Member
it's going to be really awesome when the new console zelda will highly resemble a link between worlds and people will just flip the fuck out.

Makes sense not having a live on-stage conference. Miyamoto would have to bust out his shield skills and fend off the horde with his mighty Master Sword.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Exactly. If the games are there the hype will be there.

The reason nobody remembers Nintendo's Direct last year isn't because it was a stream, but because it was a really lackluster showing.

If they show some amazing games and they still get ignored, then we can assume the streaming format is the reason behind it.

Don't know...the fact that a new MK, a new Mario3D, a new Smash, a new DK plus tons of new updates on Bayonetta2, Sonic Lost World and Project X are considered as a luckster showing make me think that the format has something to do with the reception.

I was disappointed by the lack of dates, and in fact we saw how they spread those titles releases, and by the absence of some already announced games such as Yoshi and FE x SMT, maybe also because they pre-announced too much contents (we already knew about MK, Mario and Smash announcement BEFORE the E3), but in terms of actual new game content it was a solid E3 to me. 4 brand new Wii U games by their most talented teams and about their more importan IP, plus other materials.

Terrell

Don't know...the fact that a new MK, a new Mario3D, a new Smash, a new DK plus tons of new updates on Bayonetta2, Sonic Lost World and Project X are considered as a luckster showing make me think that the format has something to do with the reception.

Perception colors reality. People walked into E3 expecting it to be shit for Nintendo for no other reason than being unable to compete with 2 console announcements and a lack of obnoxious spectacle that fans demanded. People see what they want to see to suit their preconceived notions. The internet makes that obvious fact visible every single day.

EDIT: Also the post below.

I was disappointed by the lack of dates, and in fact we saw how they spread those titles releases, and by the absence of some already announced games such as Yoshi and FE x SMT, maybe also because they pre-announced too much contents (we already knew about MK, Mario and Smash announcement BEFORE the E3), but in terms of actual new game content it was a solid E3 to me. 4 brand new Wii U games by their most talented teams and about their more importan IP, plus other materials.

Like you said, everyone knew that MK, Mario, and Smash were going to be there beforehand. MK and Smash had a lot of people talking (no more than they would've had they been shown on stage), and 3D World looked really shitty when they revealed it.

Many weren't happy about DK because they wanted Retro to work on something different. All the other games you mentioned had already been revealed (and did they even mention much about X at E3?).

There were no surprises (sans Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer, who were actually talked about quite a bit during E3) except for DK, which left a sour taste in many people's mouths.

So like I said, if they bring surprise announces and games that actually make us say "Wow, that looks amazing!" then I'm sure they'll get plenty of mindshare. The very few bits of exciting content they brought last year got talked about quite a bit.

EDIT: I'm not saying that 3D World and DK ended up bad. After releasing much better trailers for both games it seems most people came around to getting excited about it. I'm just saying that what they showed at E3 was pretty "meh."

Hermii

My big hope for Zelda U is that it doesn't completely abandon Skyward Swords controls. Have them optional or implement them in one way or another.

Not really relevant to the discussion, but we all know they will announce Zelda.

wrowa

I can understand that people miss the "epic" feel a big press conference has. It's undeniable that last year's Nintendo Direct felt pretty barebones in its presentation compared to the huge press offerings other companies have had. However, I don't think that this means that recorded streams necessarily have to be bad -- but it does mean that the super low-budget approach of the Nintendo Directs is the wrong way to handle an E3 conference. When everyone else shoots for the stars, you pale in comparions when you just put one guy in front a white background.

However, with this year's event not being called a "Direct", I'm hopeful that Nintendo realized this too. It might not actually be the case, but by calling it "Nintendo Digital Event" instead they seem to differentiate the event from the usual Directs -- and if the announcement video is any indication for the amount of effort they're putting into the Digital Event, then I'm sure that it'll be an awesome and entertaining ride.

Hermii

I can understand that people miss the "epic" feel a big press conference has. It's undeniable that last year's Nintendo Direct felt pretty barebones in its presentation compared to the huge press offerings other companies have had. However, I don't think that this means that recorded streams necessarily have to be bad -- but it does mean that the super low-budget approach of the Nintendo Directs is the wrong way to handle an E3 conference. When everyone else shoots for the stars, you pale in comparions when you just put one guy in front a white background.

However, with this year's event not being called a "Direct", I'm hopeful that Nintendo realized this too. It might not actually be the case, but by calling it "Nintendo Digital Event" instead they seem to differentiate the event from the usual Directs -- and if the announcement video is any indication for the amount of effort they're putting into the Digital Event, then I'm sure that it'll be an awesome and entertaining ride.

Yea I hope the mega64 video is a tease of whats coming. This and the tomodachi life direct was beta tests for E3. A whole conference of skits like that announcing games in fun ways would beat anything they would do on a stage.

Probably setting myself up for disappointment expecting that though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Like you said, everyone knew that MK, Mario, and Smash were going to be there beforehand. MK and Smash had a lot of people talking (no more than they would've had they been shown on stage), and 3D World looked really shitty when they revealed it.

Many weren't happy about DK because they wanted Retro to work on something different. All the other games you mentioned had already been revealed (and did they even mention much about X at E3?).

There were no surprises (sans Mega Man and Wii Fit Trainer, who were actually talked about quite a bit during E3) except for DK, which left a sour taste in many people's mouths.

So like I said, if they bring surprise announces and games that actually make us say "Wow, that looks amazing!" then I'm sure they'll get plenty of mindshare. The very few bits of exciting content they brought last year got talked about quite a bit.

EDIT: I'm not saying that 3D World and DK ended up bad. After releasing much better trailers for both games it seems most people came around to getting excited about it. I'm just saying that what they showed at E3 was pretty "meh."

Oh, yes, I agree. I think that everyone wanted Metroid by Retro and not DK, even if DK demostrated to be great, and that the reveal trailer for Mario3D was shitty, in fact a lot of people turned seeing the second trailer some months later. And the lack of surprises because of the pre-announcement and the absence of Yoshi and FE are objective facts.

But that said:

Perception colors reality. People walked into E3 expecting it to be shit for Nintendo for no other reason than being unable to compete with 2 console announcements and a lack of obnoxious spectacle that fans demanded. People see what they want to see to suit their preconceived notions. The internet makes that obvious fact visible every single day.

Also this is true: I think that a lot of people already decided before E3 that, because of lack of new HW and because of lack of live conference, it would have been a waste of time seeing Nintendo efforts/announcements.
And for some it seems so also this year: "No live conf, so no live cheers and booos by journalists? they have nothing to show and if they show something it's not worth it"
"But but but...you'll see maybe even a better video presentation! new games! new announcements! mash tournament, and best buy demo! Threehouse live all E3 long in streaming as never before!"
"Doesn't matter, no live no fun"

We'll see. To me, the most important fact is: I don't want to see new HW, nor QOL. I want to see games, both knwon and brand new, especially for Wii U, with actual reliable and reasonable launch window.

Hermii

I think the most important reason last year was so disappointing was that they already announced most of the stuff in the January direct. They didn't do that this year.

Sendou

Indeed. When comparing Nintendo in 2013 and Nintendo in 2014 you are going to notice one big difference. In 2013 Nintendo rushed to reveal as many games as possible for Wii U. Even games that were very far away. Monolith Soft's next game, Pokémon X/Y, Yarn Yoshi, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mario Golf: World Tour, Super Luigi U, SMT X FE and Wind Waker HD were all revealed before E3. In addition to that they also mentioned that Mario Kart and next Mario platformer by EAD Tokyo would be playable at E3. Everyone also knew about Smash. That's a crazy amount of games to reveal in the span of 6 months. What I'm getting at is that they didn't really leave a lot of room for surprises at E3. The material was there but they decided to show it earlier.

This year is the complete opposite. The only Nintendo announcement this year is NES Remix 2 I guess? I think they want to have a bit more surprises at E3 this year. Nintendo is one to surprise.

wrowa

To be honest, it wouldn't even surprise me that much. It would be an easy way to both deliver the promised Wii U Zelda and also to get out of the Wii U as quickly and cheaply as possible. The backlash would be incredible, though.

JoeM86

Indeed. When comparing Nintendo in 2013 and Nintendo in 2014 you are going to notice one big difference. In 2013 Nintendo rushed to reveal as many games as possible for Wii U. Even games that were very far away. Monolith Soft's next game, Pokémon X/Y, Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, Sonic Lost World, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mario Golf: World Tour, Super Luigi U, SMT X FE and Wind Waker HD were all revealed before E3. In addition to that they also mentioned that Mario Kart and next Mario platformer by EAD Tokyo would be playable at E3. Everyone also knew about Smash. That's a crazy amount of games to reveal in the span of 6 months. What I'm getting at is that they didn't really leave a lot of room for surprises at E3. The material was there but they decided to show it earlier.

This year is the complete opposite. The only Nintendo announcement this year is NES Remix 2 I guess? I think they want to have a bit more surprises at E3 this year. Nintendo is one to surprise.
Pretty sure this is why we didn't have a bimonthly Direct this month.

Top Bottom