• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Proc

After about 35+ hours in duos with a buddy, I was able to grab my first chicken dinner in solo today.

I haven't shouted that loud in gaming ever. The feeling was sweet.

Qblivion

Does the blue wall do more damage later in the game? I was doing pretty well on my last round and ended up dying literally 3 feet away from the border. It was maddening.

J_Viper

IGN is saying that buying this on Amazon nets you $5 bucks in Amazon credit, but I don't see it on the Amazon page

Has anyone tried this?

Third. Fucking third. I still can't get a solo chicken. I had four solid, hard fucking earned kills. I outsmarted at least 5 people. I should have had this one. God dammit.

I did it. My hands are shaking. The plane was going straight down the middle, and I popped my parachute early to reach the mountain on the NEastern most side of the map. Got the M14A there with a suppressor and 4x scope. Someone who had the same idea followed me up there(I'll never forget you dollyfox) but I blasted her with my shotgun, I think I caught her by surprise.

I take a buggy and get closer to the enclosing circle. After that it's a long game of cat and mouse. The M14A(I think it's that one..) has an extremely effective range. Took pot shots on poor stragglers. This one guy started shooting at me in close range but missed all but a couple shots, I panic shot and managed to headshot. After that I was just picking people off with my gun. They had no idea where I was coming from. The last guy was just hiding in a bush. Naked guy too, no weapons I think, I think he was going around and punching/killing people the whole match and challenging himself. Either way, I saw him in the bush and finished him off. After the first 2 kills everything after that was a blur. People going around in cars, one trying to get a crate, me just executing them from far away. I only got shot at once.

Are you proud of me The End.

V1XcAXy.png

jeffc919

Third. Fucking third. I still can't get a solo chicken. I had four solid, hard fucking earned kills. I outsmarted at least 5 people. I should have had this one. God dammit.

I hear you. Closing in on 200 solo matches. 30 or so top 10 finishes. 3 2nd place finishes. 2 of them I hit the winner with several shots and when the end game screen came up I thought I won. Still looking for that first win.

v1lla21

I'm content reaching the top 10. Every single time I've died is because I wait too long and then rush to the circle where I get picked off. I just love firefights in this game. Took out 3 within a minute with half my health.

I don't tend to deck out my gun either. All I use is a sight.

Grassy

My first chicken dinner since the reset...felt like I was never going to get there, the struggle was real after 40+ top 10 Solo finishes. TL;DR version of events:

*Had a shitty start in a shitty spot(north-east coastline near Stalber), white circle formed in the bottom half of the map near Mylta.
*I only looted 5 houses the entire match and all at the start of the game. I got an S1897 shotgun w/choke, AKM w/4x scope, quickdraw mag and compensator, level 2 helmet and body armour, 1 first-aid kit and 5 painkillers.
*Luckily found a motorbike and just beat the blue circle closing in, hid out in the hill north of Mylta.
*Ditched the bike as the white circle started forming in the forest between north west Mylta and East Pochinki hill.
*The last 3 white circles formed perfectly around myself and the tree I was using for cover, allowing me to not have to move or sit on the edge of the blue circle.
*I took out 5 of the last 10 players without any of them seeing me.
*I didn't get shot at or hit the entire game, not even once...flawless victory!
*The AKM w/compensator is an absolute beast.

Whew, time for a cigar.

Really getting tired of only getting a fraction of the points for squad games versus solo games. Doesn't make any sense. Either way, the game lasts the same amount of time, and enemy confrontations are actually significantly more difficult considering the number of people working together to kill you. They did some dumb math over on their end that resulted in half the rewards for duos, and a quarter of the rewards for squads. More people on your team doesn't make the game easier to win.

Tecnniqe

Banned
The way this game handles close combat, I just hate it, so random, you'll shoot one guy point blank with the 2 shotty and can even see head reel from the impact but somehow he goes through the damage, he shoots back and you die straight up while wearing lvl2 armor and helmet.

Happens in the streams I watch too, I love the game but it is straight up broken when every close combat encounter because just a random affair. And it's not just when I die, i went with a kar98 against a shotgun and somehow didn't get damage but headshotted the dude without even aiming...

I think if they had a death cam/replay system in place and with the game in its current state there would be a lot of people giving up on it.
If the server shit the bed, which it often does, that's what happens among other things.

It's one of the reason a few of us stopped playing during Month 1 update, and coming back now you can still see it happening but less frequent than it used to but it also occur when you notice server banding.

Shotguns seems the worst with this, really hit and miss. Had a guy back turned, shot him 5 times point blank with Saiga, see blood all over, guy turns and just insta gib me, fuck knows how.

baby

convinced playerunknown decided to pull a prank on me specifically where half the rifles in my solo games disappear when im near and the other half turn into med kits and skseses

Mr.Mike

convince playerunknown decided to pull a prank on me specifically where half the rifles in my solo games disappear when im near and the other half turn into med kits and skseses

Your complaining about finding too many of the best healing item and best gun in the game?

baby

Your complaining about finding too many of the best healing item and best gun in the game?

the sks is literally just a shitty version of the ak. its like if you took an m16 and put a cap in how fast you can shoot it. calling it a sniper doesnt make it less garbage no offense

Dmax3901

Forgive my ignorance, but all you guys posting things via streamable, that require you to have been streaming it live right? Or am I an idiot.

CeePhour

Banned
IGN is saying that buying this on Amazon nets you $5 bucks in Amazon credit, but I don't see it on the Amazon page

Has anyone tried this?

Yes. Amazon emailed me a code a few days after purchase. Not sure if it works on physical games, I used it for a Disgaea PC Steam code.

Lupercal

Banned
Got my first & second chicken dinner last night.

First one was Duo's, landed at the ruins and worked our way up to the coast.
After getting some easy kills, we got pinned down by sniper fire. I smoked my way up to the house and kept them busy while my buddy flanked em and we we're down to the last 10 alive.

Got picked off soon after that because of someone in a ghilly. Partner kept alive around the circle's border and soon it was a standoff vs the ghilly user. I was his second pair of eyes and saw some movement behind a tree.
Just throw a grenade I said, 1 second later I was feasting on chicken dinner.

Second dinner was during squads. After a disastrous drop near the bridge at the Military Base, we had to move quickly because the circle was completely north.

All 4 of us, low on supplies had to hide in a small barn during a bombing run. To our suprise, the attic had 3! weapons in it.
Armed with SKS and AK's fully stocked, we were ready again to get down and dirty.
Luckily a lot of people dropped on the Military Base because people we're dying from the circle left and right.
Getting to the last 3 squads, it was clear they we're camping some houses near the coast.

Getting the bright idea to get a boat to snipe them from the sea, me and another buddy went out, while the other 2 advanced from the trees.

Spotting gunfire up ahead, we saw our chance. I gunned the boat Miami Vice style and swooped in close and started firing away at their position.
The other pair did the same and soon the attacking squad got got.

But now the focus was on our boat and even the zigzag couldn't escape 3 people firing at once on us.
Luckily, the other pair was getting into their house and with all the gunfire couldn't even hear 2 vectors bearing down on them.

Damn, I was spent and hungry for a cigarette after that.

Grassy

Forgive my ignorance, but all you guys posting things via streamable, that require you to have been streaming it live right? Or am I an idiot.

Streamable is just a hosting website like Youtube, but without all the crap.

I use Windows 10/Xbox Game DVR app to record my videos.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Whats the current situation on competitive PUBG? Is it really only accesible for Top 100? No open tournaments/ events?

BraXzy

Still working towards my first solo chicken dinner. Had a pretty great moment in a squad match where I'd got split and landed in crater on my own. Somehow fought off an entire team, killed 3 and made the 4th flee which made me chuckle.

This was from my last solo game. I'd killed 2 guys from a mile away and went to check their loot on the way into the circle.

https://streamable.com/8xhu8

JCH!

Is there even a point in engaging people unless strictly necessary. 100% I kill someone I just reveal my position and get ganked.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Is there even a point in engaging people unless strictly necessary. 100% I kill someone I just reveal my position and get ganked.

Yea - often clearing out a group can ensure you control over certain approaches, especially in late game circles. You'll have freedom to reposition and deal with other threats without having to worry about someone who's hiding in your immediate vicinity. It can save you the game, especially when you're working against the clock. I'm not saying wipe out everyone you see, but being able to identify future problems and taking them on early will save you the pain of running to the new circle while under fire.

Also, you can't expect to rely entirely on looting spots to get you decently geared. I rarely find scopes or silencers, most of the time I'm pulling them off other bodies.

The moment you stop being afraid to engage with enemies is when you get truly good at the game.

I speak as someone who played it exclusively as a stealth game for 20 hours. I got a solo chicken dinner that way - but I'm much better now I engage (when it's sensible to do so).

CeePhour

Banned

This has been my 30 hours of experience as well, save for a handful of random games where the stars aligned and my bullets hit their marks but never a chicken here, but a 2, 3, a few top 10s.

I've come to realize that my problem is two things.

One: I'm not used to the combat at all, because I'm playing it entirely like a stealth game, but it doesn't have the proper mechanics for that. Which tells me I'm playing it wrong.

When you think you're hiding: you're not. There's no way to move quietly (holding CTRL doesn't really seem to work very well...?), and that bush you're hiding in isn't hiding shit from the guy across the field with the 8x scope. The rendering is bad. And hell, grass doesn't even render that far out, so you're just laying there out in the open.

My plan is to jump into the hotter zones and die a lot. Sure, I might spend 20 hours parachuting every 5 minutes but at least that's 20 hours of being in the shit, getting some experience, as opposed to 20 hours of hiding in a bathtub staring at the shitty door texture waiting for it to open.

Two: Poor situational awareness. My dumb ass is always getting killed from nowhere. No killcam makes it very hard to learn from those types of deaths.

Running to loot a guy you just killed is a sure fire way to die. Running to the supply drop crate is also bad news (for a noob like me that will lose every combat). Running through looting homes later in the match without caution gets me killed far too often by some asshole hiding in a bathtub.

Hopefully this improves my game and maybe others.

As soon as you shoot and kill someone, move. You will have always drawn the attention of someone else. Re-position yourself, don't run straight to the body.

JDB

Banned
Jeez you were well equipped there - looking like Vin Diesel in Fate of the Furious.
A military base apartment building filled with about a dozen dead bodies in it will do that. Still didn't get my anything better than a 2x scope, though. :mad:

Cc23830

so i have 10 hours on this now. i have 3x 2nd places.

In combat i am plain shit. i cannot seem to hit a door, maybe as this is my first ever PC game and am so used to playing with a controller on my ps4 and xbox one. ive tried turning down sensitivitys and turning them up. if anything i am getting worse which is my main point here. Last night i got completely annihilated everytime i parachuted down. for 2 hours it consisted of somebody dropping down just next to me and proceeding to rush me and kill me within 1 minute. until my last game of finishing #8. i am sure the more i think about how to play this game the worse i get. i only kill 1 or 2 every 4 or 5 games.

BUT when you get in to the top ten, is there there a bigger adrenaline rush in online gaming?

Podge293

Got robbed yesterday. We were coming up to the top 10, I was in a building smack bang centre of the circl, had the high ground and began popping shots off at this dude running across the field.

He turns around, single shot to the head from a good bit of distance with an ak.

At least I'm out of my rut of bottom 10 finishes

Cc23830

Got robbed yesterday. We were coming up to the top 10, I was in a building smack bang centre of the circl, had the high ground and began popping shots off at this dude running across the field.

He turns around, single shot to the head from a good bit of distance with an ak.

Coming up to Top 10? id leave field runners alone. If they enter my house i leave well alone. its only when i have visual on them lol

Podge293

Coming up to Top 10? id leave field runners alone. If they enter my house i leave well alone. its only when i have visual on them lol

I was feeling cocky, had the high ground, decent scope and honestly was a tad bored cuz I'd done nothing for a while.

Thought he'd be an easy kill, I was wrong.

I've still yet to try duo or squad games. Only solo so far. Need to get a squad game sometime

JDB

Banned

Were you standing still during all your shots? I see this with a lot of people where they stay still for way too long giving other players an easy headshot. Just remember to wiggle around a bit after every few shots.

SomTervo

I'm content reaching the top 10. Every single time I've died is because I wait too long and then rush to the circle where I get picked off. I just love firefights in this game. Took out 3 within a minute with half my health.

Agreed re top 10 - if I make top 10 I'm happy with the game no matter how it ends. If I'm sub-20, however... Unless I'm sup-90, in which case it's fine because it took a couple of minutes.

I don't tend to deck out my gun either. All I use is a sight.

Ehh. Not sure about this. A huge part of winning in this game is finding good sights, IMO. Have you ever used a x4 or x8 scope on a rifle? It's pretty much a license to win. Suddenly shooting becomes completely reliable and very easy.

I did it. My hands are shaking. The plane was going straight down the middle, and I popped my parachute early to reach the mountain on the NEastern most side of the map. Got the M14A there with a suppressor and 4x scope. Someone who had the same idea followed me up there(I'll never forget you dollyfox) but I blasted her with my shotgun, I think I caught her by surprise.

I take a buggy and get closer to the enclosing circle. After that it's a long game of cat and mouse. The M14A(I think it's that one..) has an extremely effective range. Took pot shots on poor stragglers. This one guy started shooting at me in close range but missed all but a couple shots, I panic shot and managed to headshot. After that I was just picking people off with my gun. They had no idea where I was coming from. The last guy was just hiding in a bush. Naked guy too, no weapons I think, I think he was going around and punching/killing people the whole match and challenging himself. Either way, I saw him in the bush and finished him off. After the first 2 kills everything after that was a blur. People going around in cars, one trying to get a crate, me just executing them from far away. I only got shot at once.

Are you proud of me The End.

Beautifully done!

Cc23830

I was feeling cocky, had the high ground, decent scope and honestly was a tad bored cuz I'd done nothing for a while.

Thought he'd be an easy kill, I was wrong.

I've still yet to try duo or squad games. Only solo so far. Need to get a squad game sometime

i have played all but one as solo. i tried a squad game but everyone ran off to do their own thing. so stuck getting destroyed as an individual lol

Wardancer

Neo Member

In solo its dangerous but thats why you want silencers, a silenced SMG (or the glock) is very useful as a backup weapon for this. If you get the drop on someone you can easily kill them and nobody else will notice. Silenced weapons are also very useful for taking potshots at enemy players fighting each other because they will be very confused about which cover actually protects them and they will often kill each other faster or you manage to steal the kill.

But like the others said, killing other players are important to secure positional advantages AND its the best way to get good loot if you have had some bad luck. Scopes, ammo and healing items are what everyone carries around. Curated lootboxes ;)

Top Bottom