• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Brakara

Huh? Less teams to play against? It's still the same number of players in the match. A normal solo confrontation will be a one-and-done deal. Kill the one dude, loot him, and that's it. Squad matches are more difficult because that one dude has three other dudes with him. You've now gotta worry about downing people and potentially having them revived by a teammate and once again being a threat again.

An average player will win 1 in 100 matches in solo, while an average squad will win 1 in 25 matches in squads, i.e. a squad will win 4 times more often than a solo player. Simple math, really.

Mr.Mike

An average player will win 1 in 100 matches in solo, while an average squad will win 1 in 25 matches in squads, i.e. a squad will win 4 times more often than a solo player. Simple math, really.

I don't think the probability works like that. You're assuming every player has the same skill level, and further that teams of any size have the same overall "skill".

As for going solo in squads, there might be an advantage for the solo player in that enemies are less dispersed and spotting 1 of 4 people is easier than spotting 1 of 1. But once there's an engagement the solo player is at a huge disadvantage.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like I've gotten myself killed with the burst mode a couple of times because I expect to do short controlled bursts like CSGO, but instead you get a burst of a fixed length. This means if you screw up your first shot, you're stuck with the full burst and the recoil.

It definitely seems to run better. I'm just disappointed because of how promising it initially was. I have an older gaming system:

Windows 7 64-bit
4.2 GHz quad-core 3570k
2GB GTX 770
16GB DDR3
SSD
1680x1050

The lobby initially looked very smooth at over 60 fps, but it soon started hitching to 40-60 fps. The plane was 20-60 fps inside. Even once I landed, even inside buildings, any time I would look around I would typically see a framerate hitch in the 38-60 fps range, and camera movement is hitchy / stuttery.

I'd hoped with my lower screen resolution I would be able to get 60 more consistently. I have every graphics setting very low besides the following:

anti-aliasing medium
view distance medium
texture high

I guess I'll try turning even these settings down, though I can't lower anti-aliasing any more without the screen getting a horrible grid effect. I know about the suggestion that turning up some settings may improve framerate, but none of my CPU cores are hitting 100% utilization so I'm not even sure I'm CPU-limited.

OK - so I got the GTX 1080, with the 3570k @ 4.1ghz - turned lots of stuff up High, running at 1440p - much better. Huge increase in FPS coming from GTX 970.

Not so CPU bound as you (and me) might have thought.

Blizzard

Banned
OK - so I got the GTX 1080, with the 3570k @ 4.1ghz - turned lots of stuff up High, running at 1440p - much better. Huge increase in FPS coming from GTX 970.

Not so CPU bound as you (and me) might have thought.
Thanks! If you're running a FPS counter, what rates do you see on average spinning the camera around in the open near buildings?

Also, what's a decent price on that? It seems to be $600-700 right now and I'll probably hold off for the immediate future.

Tovarisc

I feel like I've gotten myself killed with the burst mode a couple of times because I expect to do short controlled bursts like CSGO, but instead you get a burst of a fixed length. This means if you screw up your first shot, you're stuck with the full burst and the recoil.

Well it's only 3 round burst so it isn't that long "lock in". Like a second to 1.5 seconds.

psn

They added 2 pics on twitter:

2EIKOgU.jpg

mONwzPN.jpg

>2017
>still using pissfilter

Tried to remove the pissfilter:

3Ao6D3N.jpg

5B17BeA.jpg

Looks much better imo, I hope they let us control the color grading :/

Tagyhag

So according to pubg.me, the UMP got nerfed hard. Is the Vector the best weapon in terms of DPS?

I bet the Groza is better.

That said, I'll still take the UMP over the Vector, that 12 round mag is too small for my liking.

UMP has saved me a lot more than the Vector has.

Starviper

They added 2 pics on twitter:

>2017
>still using pissfilter

Tried to remove the pissfilter:

3Ao6D3N.jpg

5B17BeA.jpg

Looks much better imo, I hope they let us control the color grading :/

Yeah it doesn't really seem fitting for the desert with that blue filtering applied.. Unsure why they would default to that. I'm assuming they'll have different weather systems that'll load up changing the look // time of day.

Just got this last week. My 2nd game of duos with a friend we won that yummy chicken dinner. Now another friend wants in on the fun but would really like that Green Man Gaming deal. If anyone has a spare code that has 1 more use would you mind PMing it?

twisted89

Just got this last week. My 2nd game of duos with a friend we won that yummy chicken dinner. Now another friend wants in on the fun but would really like that Green Man Gaming deal. If anyone has a spare code that has 1 more use would you mind PMing it?

You can get it for really cheap on cdkeys.co.uk with Facebook 5% discount if you can't find gmg code.

Tovarisc

So according to pubg.me, the UMP got nerfed hard. Is the Vector the best weapon in terms of DPS?

UMP beats Vector in accuracy, range and recoil control. I think nude UMP beats kitted out Vector in all three categories.

Make what you want from that.

I bet the Groza is better.

That said, I'll still take the UMP over the Vector, that 12 round mag is too small for my liking.

UMP has saved me a lot more than the Vector has.

I sure would hope so as Groza is 7.62 AR :D

Kalentan

The more I play the game, I feel like duo and squads are much more fun than solo. It's not that solo is devoid of fun but I feel like you have so much more room for tactical play with more people.

n0razi

What's the best medium-long distance sniper AR among these?

AKM or M16 or SCAR... all in single fire mode with 4x scope

Tovarisc

Lol yeah. Still haven't gotten it though.

Honestly if I'm going through the hassle of a crate, I much rather get a sniper or a M249 than an SMG, no matter how powerful.

But it isn't SMG?

Or are you talking about Thompson now?

I'm confused.

What's the best medium-long distance sniper AR among these?

AKM or M16 or SCAR... all in single fire mode with 4x scope

AKM for damage over range, SCAR for accuracy.

Tagyhag

But it isn't SMG?

Or are you talking about Thompson now?

I'm confused.

Nah you're definitely right, but I was under the impression that it wasn't as accurate long range as the other assault rifles. Most people I see use it use it just for short-medium range.

Second chicken dinner in as many days. Landed on the roof of the school with like 3 other people, only thing in my area was a stun grenade. Caught a guy with the stun and superman punched him in the head for the kill. Took his shotgun and hunted down the other people inside as they were fighting each other. Killed a couple more people who wandered into the school and literally stayed there the entire game as the circle just kept closing in around me. Finally, the circle was left with me on the ground floor and him on a floor above me and we couldn't get to each other. The circle eventually shrank down to nothing and I won with one ticket of health left.

https://youtu.be/aulqnj7QhD8

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching a stream of a 4 man group and it seemed really hard to down them as they could revive each other, is playing solo a massive disadvantage or are there solo and group servers?

That's not how that works.

I was watching a stream of a 4 man group and it seemed really hard to down them as they could revive each other, is playing solo a massive disadvantage or are there solo and group servers?
There's solo, duo, and squad servers.

Reviving also isn't as unbalanced as it seems when watching a match like that. A revived player will be missing a massive chunk of their health, and likely armor depending on where they were shot when they were downed. They will be at a huge disadvantage.

Had that happen to me to. Wish this mechanic was explained somewhere in the game or by the devs.

LogicStep

I was in duos with a friend. We were looted and running through a field in between hills with no cover nearby. Out of nowhere I start getting shot. I don't see from where. My friend sees one by a tree and starts shooting him. Then the guy that was shooting me and his teammate, who is by another tree not too far from the first, start shooting my friend. I pull out my kar98 and headshot the second guy right as my friend gets downed, downing him. Now it's only the first guy and me. I pull out my ak and start taking shots at him. He hides behind the tree. As soon as I see that I run towards my friend to help him up. As soon as I start to heal my friend the tree hugger peaks out and starts taking shots. I let go of my friend and return fire with no luck and he hides again. I pull out my kar98 and start healing my friend again. He was bleeding out, 2 seconds from dying. My friend tells me to let him die and worry about myself. I don't say anything and try to heal him. As I do that, the guy peaks out again. I anticipated this and immediately let go of my friend and take aim. Headshot, 2 kills for me. I say to my friend, chill dude let me do my thing. He just starts laughing in disbelief.

:p
I thought it was a cool story. No, we didn't win that game.

Tovarisc

Nah you're definitely right, but I was under the impression that it wasn't as accurate long range as the other assault rifles. Most people I see use it use it just for short-medium range.

It's accurate to range. It just is insane at close range.

Well, ran into my first TKers. They were completely silent all round so I assumed they were on Teamspeak or Discord, then as we drove up on a squad crossing a road one of our teammates got knocked out by someone else in the car (which happens) then when trying to run over someone else the driver ran over our knocked teammate instead (which was still plausible as the enemy was standing right next to them), and then after we killed them and finished looting, I turned to shoot at a boat going right past us in the river and the two survivors both shot me instead.

I have no idea what possesses people to do this. Having an extra gun with you helps your chances far more than stealing a bunch of loot that they would have given to you anyway if you needed it.

Mr.Mike

It's very hit or miss. Sometimes you end up with good people, other times useless ones, but either way it's often good for practicing your shooting.

I've just been playing solo, although that does seem to be a very different game from squads. Maybe I'll have to give the matchmaking a try.

Top Bottom