• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

I've just been playing solo, although that does seem to be a very different game from squads. Maybe I'll have to give the matchmaking a try.

Squads allows you to be way more aggressive, since you have down but not out, and the fact that a squad can focus on one or two targets while someone flanks makes it feel like a way less passive "do I move or do I sit here" game.

Mr.Mike

I won a chicken dinner today playing with a friend I met in a rando squad and two other random guys. We worked together really well. All four of us survived.

I suppose the way to do this would be to collect good teammates as you encounter them in matchmaking.

Just had my bimonthly reminder that the grenade arc indicator completely lies if there's anything within less than 10 meters between you and the target.

Swig_

What other maps look ugly? The snow map looked great when it was shown, I believe. The main map looks decent to me, and I like the evening weather.

I love the rain weather. I wish it was in the rotation more. It's probably my favorite. I think I'd like snow, too.

Protein

Banned
Crouch. Aim down crosshairs. Patiently and steadily let loose a burst-volley of 7.62s on guy 30 feet away. Running guy shits his pants and erratically flips his mouse 1080 degrees and kills me with perfect two-bullet headshot.

I'm gonna go lie down now and cry.

BraXzy

I really wish this game had a shooting range I could jump in to really get a feel for the guns and scopes. I still don't know which weapons I prefer.

Tagyhag

They haven't shown it yet, but apparently it has jungle on the outskirts and a snowy mountain(s) in the centre of the map - https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/68vxvp/two_new_maps_are_in_the_works/

Edit: I guess with new maps will come new loot, like different coloured ghillie suits and clothing so you can blend into the new environments a bit better maybe?

Oh man, I forgot about the stadium. It'd be so amazing having the final circle be in there.

I hope it has really good loot so lots of people go in there.

I just started playing this, and every time I've opened a door with an ambusher in front of me (twice now), my SMG has taken care of them. I'm kinda surprised, didn't think my reflexes were that great, but I guess it's enough.

There are better ways to ambush. (From above.)

Blizzard

Banned
I just started playing this, and every time I've opened a door with an ambusher in front of me (twice now), my SMG has taken care of them. I'm kinda surprised, didn't think my reflexes were that great, but I guess it's enough.

There are better ways to ambush. (From above.)
The game supposedly favors the person with higher ping. Also, if you're camping inside a door for 10 minutes you're probably bored to tears and alt-tabbed by the time someone opens it. I don't know how people can stay focused for 10-15 minutes looking at a blank wall.

Man, playing with random squads is so hit or miss. I feel like I'll have a run of games where you'll have normal sounding people that are helpful and awesome and then you'll have a run of people that have some neglected child screaming in the background or they just discovered how to scream obscenities.

Its just really annoying how I keep finishing second in so many squad matches when I wind up playing 3/4 of the match by myself since everyone thought it would be a great idea to jump in the military base and then act surprised and outraged that they were killed in the first 3 seconds. Or when you go try to revive them, they just disconnect cause their other friend died.

Grassy

Whew...after starving for so long, two chicken dinners in two days.
tslgame_2017_07_04_13pbxp7.png

Only 4 kills this time mainly due to starting nowhere near the first white circle and having to hitch a boat and UAZ to get there. I killed the last two other players without either of them seeing me(one had a ghillie suit on). Again, the AKM w/compensator and 4x scope did the job, the frying pan attached to my butt saved me on one occasion as well.

Feels so fucking good.

Hybris

Oh baby, just got a squad win with 13 kills. Was just picking people off with the sks non stop. Final circle was me vs a squad of 3 and I came out on top. Definitely my flashiest win yet.

Blizzard

Banned
I keep trying to drop as fast as possible into populated areas to practice shooting, but I can hardly ever find anyone.

I got a UMP almost immediately, but it took a while to find anyone. Eventually I tried to shoot someone at point blank range full auto, and died instantly to a single frying pan headshot through a helmet.

I am unsure how to improve this.

Hybris

I keep trying to drop as fast as possible into populated areas to practice shooting, but I can hardly ever find anyone.

I got a UMP almost immediately, but it took a while to find anyone. Eventually I tried to shoot someone at point blank range full auto, and died instantly to a single frying pan headshot through a helmet.

I am unsure how to improve this.

The school is always a madhouse, other good picks are military base, novo, southern georgopol containers. The closer to the plane path the better.

Blizzard

Banned
The school is always a madhouse, other good picks are military base, novo, southern georgopol containers. The closer to the plane path the better.
It was Pochinki directly under the plane path 3 times in a row. With so many buildings it's just really hard to find anyone in the open. If you explore buildings, chances are there is someone camping inside the door already, and they'll have the advantage because you make noise even if you're walking slowly.

Venfayth

Sometimes people don't go to the actual first hot zone, unless it's military. Usually there will be a lot at the second hot zone, or the school for sure.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
25 hours in. FIRST CHICKEN DINNER!

Whew! Was playing squads with 3 IRL friends... had several pretty crappy games in a row. I don't know what it is, but we were just getting dog shit loot.

Decided to play just one more, and there were still like 40 people on the second-to-last circle. VERY odd game. Then it turned into an absolute mad house. I didn't get a single kill, lol... but I had two downs and I think my collection of items and a well-timed smoke grenade at least helped. I'll take it.

To be blunt: I don't really care for the game as much as most seem to - there's WAY too much "luck" for my tastes in a competitive game. But I can't disagree that those final three minutes were supremely intense, and it felt good to win.

To be blunt: I don't really care for the game as much as most seem to - there's WAY too much "luck" for my tastes in a competitive game. But I can't disagree that those final three minutes were supremely intense, and it felt good to win.

The only bit of luck that seems really unbalanced and hard to overcome is those last few circles. If everyone is prone by some tree or rock and that circle lands on you and other people have to get up and move in the open they are pretty much dead.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The only bit of luck that seems really unbalanced and hard to overcome is those last few circles. If everyone is prone by some tree or rock and that circle lands on you and other people have to get up and move in the open they are pretty much dead.

I don't think it's one big thing that steers me away, but all the little things of random chance that add up.

Ignoring the fact that, yes, some of these things you can tilt in your favor; you still have to consider: Is someone going to land next to you? What loot will you find? What loot will your enemies find? Will you have a car nearby? How lucky will you be with that first circles, and those that come after? And like you said, are those last 2-3 circles going to fall in your favor?

Don't get me wrong - all of that is what makes the game what it is. And clearly, it's a tremendous hit and people really love it. That's awesome! I just know for me, I prefer competitive MP titles where each player must win with the same tools and same map advantages; so that pure skill is what triumphs. Two totally different types of games.

Doesn't mean that I'm not having fun. I've already gotten 25+ hours out of it - so I'm quite content with the value proposition; especially because it's getting a lot of awesome support, it seems.

valeo

Just playing a random squad game and we were down to the last 20 - then while driving away in a Dacia our entire squad was killed by one grenade (while in the car)

Anyone seen that before? There was just a moment of 'what the fuck'. Thought they introduced bloody RPGs.

Blizzard

Banned
Just playing a random squad game and we were down to the last 20 - then while driving away in a Dacia our entire squad was killed by one grenade (while in the car)

Anyone seen that before? There was just a moment of 'what the fuck'. Thought they introduced bloody RPGs.
One of your teammates probably TK'd you by cooking a grenade.

thejpfin

It's very hit or miss. Sometimes you end up with good people, other times useless ones, but either way it's often good for practicing your shooting.
I have to add one thing to this, almost all randoms in this game (in my experience) behave well, it doesn't matter if they are MLG pro or new players, they generally don't shout hateful or racist things in the voice chat, which happens often in other competitive games such as Overwatch.

Sure there are assholes in every online game, even in this game, but I feel like pubg community is one of the better communities out there.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
played my first match.

Killed someone within the first 5 minutes.

Proceeded to die going over a hill.

Still had fun

Blizzard

Banned
Holy crap, I guess all I needed to do was complain in the thread. After a bunch of frustrating games tonight, only getting in the top 20-30 maybe once, I got my first ever win. Like everyone says, it's really heart-pounding. I shall tell the story with screenshots. Please forgive the massive wall of text, since I'm super happy I finally won. :p The night was frustrating because I was attempting to drop in heavy areas and practice shooting. I'd either not find anyone, or find maybe one player and then die abruptly. I'd try to shoot an automatic weapon and die to a pan headshot. I got a pan kill in one game, and a shotgun kill in another, but not much else.

Persistent Jerk

Then, it became frustrating because I'd start running into persistently mean people. Let me illustrate. I'm minding my own business, I have awful weapons (double barrel and pistol, possibly), and my only hope is to drive a boat around the military island and find an uncamped house. That's when I notice a crate. Huh, never seen one drop in that spot.

I kept being paranoid and scouting for boats. I shouldn't have, because even that slight delay resulted in someone cruising across the water to the middle of nowhere, just for the crate. It had what I think was my first ever ghillie suit. It also had a tommygun I didn't even have time to load before I started being sniped.

I didn't think you could easily see someone on the bottom of the ocean if you're driving a boat, but somehow this jerk could. I'd circle the crate. I'd circle the boat. I'd swim far away. I'd swim under his boat. No matter how deep or how far I swam, he always seemed to be able to see me while still sitting in the boat (maybe there's a third-person trick I don't know about?). This went on for probably 3-4 minutes -- back and forth, in circles, way outside the safe zone, disregarding his own positioning just to make sure he killed me. In the end, I tried to suddenly hop in my own boat and start driving, but I was instantly headshot with a sniper rifle from close range.

The Walking Loot Box; Pondering Suicide

Eventually I ended up in a game where I was dropping into the military base. I missed all the buildings and ran up to the roof, No weapons of course, but I found an 8x scope. I instantly decided that scope was worth the entire military base and raced for the ground and the hills. Of course, no sooner had I started driving a jeep away from the base, some jerk started shooting at me. Because yes, of course the naked lady with no weapons probably has great loot, and it's worthwhile to attempt sniping her jeep.

I looked at a couple of other spots on the island but everywhere seemed to already have been looted, so I ended up on the mainland. I feel I've seen basically everywhere but I don't remember exploring the particular coastal village I ended up in. I managed to get nice helmet/vest/backpack stuff, maybe a pistol, and a single grenade. I had ammo, a few health items, and both a 2x and 8x scope. I got a level 3 helmet of all things, just sitting in a garage. I felt useless to myself, but practically a walking loot box to anyone else. I pondered whether the proper answer was to kill myself so far away from the playing field that no one could loot my scopes and armor. Then the situation finally improved. Village houses had both a Kar98 and an AK47, so those got my scopes.

Persistent Jerk 2.0

I was paranoid trying to push through the village as the circle shrank, but healing items kept me from taking too much damage as I got back in safety. I think I was stuck to the west of the west military bridge and needed to get east, but I saw a red zone and I still hold to the belief that red zones mean someone is there. There didn't seem to be cover, so I finally ran for a road near the wall, gambling a car was my best chance. I did indeed find a Dacia, and started trying to get a safer spot somewhere in the middle.

This is when I ran into another persistent jerk. I was merrily driving along through hills and such, and someone started trying to snipe me out of the Dacia. I wasn't even going that slow! I got down to maybe 1 tick of health, managed to juke to the passenger seat to avoid the death blow, and then back to the driver seat to try to get to the bottom of a hill somewhere. I used a medkit, got in the car...soon started getting sniped again. I started driving super far away, around a hill etc. Still being sniped. Maybe they were on top of a really tall hill, but wherever they were it took quite a while to get completely out of sight.

The circle is pretty small and everyone can hear the car, so I figure my best chance is just to speed up to a 2-story building and either rush it or shelter near it. Maybe 15-ish people alive, and the door is shut so obviously someone's there. I opened it from the side and someone immediately started spraying tommygun or M249 shots through. OK, I'm awful with grenades but I tried the one grenade I'd found, a frag grenade. Nothing. The person in the building starts throwing smoke. I circle the whole building, surprised no one else has tried shooting me in the mess, and eventually I just prone on the outside edge trying to cover that escape route. Turns out the building person had a motorbike on the opposite side and drove off, which was fine by me.

The End

By this point the circle was getting really tiny. There was almost constant fire from 2 or 3 parties who were apparently having a long-distant gunfight. I had pretty high health, proned my way near the circle, and shockingly no one had shot at me yet.

Notice how close the blue circle is. At this point I promptly almost choked, because I was terrified to crouch or stand up and I waited too long with the blue circle. I had literally 1 tick left when I reached the white again, and EmCeeGramr's dire stories about circle tick lag were ringing in my ears. I don't know if I had any healing items left at all. The gunfire was still going. If you look at the screenshot, it sounded like one person was on the top left hill, which should be impossible because that was outside the zone. They could have been on the lower left, where a boat was beached. Then there were 1-2 people in front of me and to the right, apparently firing back and forth at the others. I couldn't see anyone at all even with the 8x scope.

I was terrified to switch weapons because I thought the animation might go up in the air and reveal me. I tried it; it didn't. I went back to the sniper rifle. I got far enough to check out the boat, and didn't see anyone. Still with my 1 tick of health, I suddenly realized there were only 2 left in the game, which really kicked in the adrenaline. I think the other person shot randomly once or twice so I still hadn't been spotted. I moved forward a little more and realized they're ahead of me, next to the tree, looking SIDEWAYS.

I tried a single Kar98 shot, and it was a headshot kill through a level 3 helmet. That's probably my only Kar98 kill ever, and my only 8x scope kill ever. It was my only kill of the game. It turns out ditching the base with nothing but an 8x was the correct choice.

And so I got my first ever win, in solo mode, after 56 hours played. Thanks to those who gave me tips.

Cc23830

i am completely sucked in with this game. i havent had this much fun online since black ops 2. i am also absolutely rubbish at it. i have 3 2nd place finishes. and the better i get at the game ie, being able to actually kill opponents, the worse i am getting lol. Its very hard for me as its my first ever PC game so this mouse and keyboard control is a bit of a learning curve.

Pachimari

Tried to remove the pissfilter:

3Ao6D3N.jpg

5B17BeA.jpg

Looks much better imo, I hope they let us control the color grading :/

We need to tweet these back to the developers to let them no it looks much better without the filter they got going. Or create a thread on the official forum.

Pooya

I hate the new circle. I feel it's somewhat even more predictable, it just moves in one direction.

It's also very unfair, you're in the white circle, but next one can spawn right on the other side attached to the previous circle, you were on the wrong side! better luck next time.

The solution to the camping thing was easy, make the circle not zone into building areas, make people fight it out in the open. The new one is a mess and comes down to luck way too much.

Blizzard

Banned
I hate the new circle. I feel it's somewhat even more predictable, it just moves in one direction.
I highly doubt it consistently moves in one direction. Are there any other reports of this?

It's also very unfair, you're in the white circle, but next one can spawn right on the other side attached to the previous circle, you were on the wrong side! better luck next time.
This happened to me CONSTANTLY before the change, so eh. :p

Top Bottom