• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds makes $11 million in 3 days, hits 67,000 concurrent

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GamesIndustry.biz said:
Bluehole's efforts to grow its business in the West received a boost last weekend with the Early Access launch of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. The Korean developer today announced that the game brought in more than $11 million in its first three days on sale, topping 67,000 concurrent players in the process.

Battlegrounds sells for $30 on the Steam store, where as of this writing it is also topping the service's top sellers list. Bluehole said it also led the Twitch charts with more than 150,000 viewers at once, but by Monday morning it had slipped to third with 51,000 viewers, behind League of Legends and DOTA 2.

The game is named for the handle of its creative director, Brendan Greene, who made the PlayerUnknown's Battle Royale game mod for Arma 3 and also worked on Daybreak's Battle Royale mode for H1Z1, which later became the stand-alone H1Z1: King of the Kill.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...attlegrounds-does-usd11-million-in-three-days

I haven't bought it yet, but it can be very entertaining to watch and seems to have solid mechanics. I will probably pick it up this week and I really hope this quick start helps them push forward on updating the game as it is obviously very rough. It could really be something with some quality updates.

Mantrox

It's getting very good numbers on twitch, as it is an interesting game to watch.
But if it doesn't evolve quickly and diversify it's play modes, it's gonna get stale fast.

The race to 1st place bettween streamers gave it a bump in views, i think.

Tecnniqe

Banned
yeah_boyeee_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

It's getting very good numbers on twitch, as it is an interesting game to watch.
But if it doesn't evolve quickly and diversify it's play modes, it's gonna get stale fast.

Wat

Hylian7

PlayerUnknown has always been great in quality. I've been following them since Arma 3 Battle Royale. I'd say PUBG is probably becoming my favorite game of this genre, a spot previously held by Ark: Survival of the Fittest (gameplay in that one is very different with leveling, dino management and stuff).

H1Z1's was alright, but I preferred Arma 3's over it. This one is definitely the best though because of the matchmaking. In both Arma 3 and H1Z1, I hated the 5-10 minute waits you could sometimes see when trying to get a game to populate. Being able to jump out of the plane whenever you want is a welcome change as well.

Mantrox

After watching a lot of hours of the game being played, the mechanics and encounters start to be way less interesting. I would assume it would be the same if i played it.
That's the reason i didn't buy it.

Are you playing it?
Don't you feel any repetitiveness setting in?

Stale for you maybe. There's a reason nearly 150,000 people are playing H1Z1 and PUBG right now, people like the games as they are. You don't need TDM and CTF in every game

dave is ok

aztek is ok
What is this game exactly? Is it an open world PvP game like Rust? Is it like The Culling?
More like The Culling.

This genre of games (H1Z1, The Culling, PUBG) is basically Hunger Games made into a video game. The Culling fell off of a cliff while H1Z1 surged in popularity.

Hylian7

After watching a lot of hours of the game being played, the mechanics and encounters start to be way less interesting. I would assume it would be the same if i played it.
That's the reason i didn't bought it.

Are you playing it?

Honestly, not really. Matches are usually exciting and different given the large map and nature of a game with this many players.

I had one yesterday I played solo where I heard a guy arrive in a vehicle outside the house I was in, so I quickly hid in a bathroom and shut the door, waiting for him to open it and blast him with a shotgun. He might have seen me go to hide in there through a window when he pulled up, or somehow had a suspicion I was there. He kept shooting at something (walls maybe?) pretty close to me, and threw a couple of grenades. None of those hit me, but then I had another problem: The barrier was closing in and I was about to get closed out of it. I had to make a break for it, and maybe shoot the guy on the way out. I ran for it, didn't see the guy so I just took off running. The barrier left me behind and I was getting hurt slowly, I kept running for a while, was somewhat close to being in the circle and then found myself getting shot at, then I was screwed at that point. It was really tense waiting that guy out though.

red731

Cider ready and the clenchening of the butts may begin!

I am studying the weapons, ammunition and stuff again because of this.

Extremely fun and there is no downtime - start, play, wait for lobby to fill, fly, drop, hunt and try to be number one or die, disconnect, play, repeat.

Also adding Arma 3 BR. A2-3BR + H1Z1, Player Unkown worked on those modes, games modes. They way you look at it from each game's perspective.

Yushi

Are you playing it?

They could make more maps, add in more weather effect. But as it stands they have a lot of things to improve within the main game (specially optimisation for better FPS, and make some things less, clunky). But you are buying for 30$ the game mode of Battle Royal (Last man Standing).

The repetitiveness is the same as people that play CSGO. As long as you have a strong base of a game, and those "oh shi-" or adrenaline pumping moments, people will keep coming.

That Adrenaline at the end of a Duo match is insane.

BearPawB

Banned
I like watching people play these games.
But it still seems buggy.

The hit detection seems miles better than KotK.

The beginning gearing up part takes to long, and then the end comes too quickly

But idk if i'll be putting money on it anytime soon.
Definitely a fun stream game though

Mantrox

Stale for you maybe. There's a reason nearly 150,000 people are playing H1Z1 and PUBG right now, people like the games as they are. You don't need TDM and CTF in every game

Fair point.
Maybe i was trying to disuade myself from buying it, as the duo matches from summit1g where funny and exciting and i got an itch to play it but i spent too much on games this month.

It would be awesome to see a Survivor Gamez (random duo's) like tournament with all the big streamers.
Unfortunately PU doesn't want to "steal" Survivor Gamez, so I hope someone else organizes it.

killroy87

I've....never heard of this.

Time to do some research!

Edit. Oh, it's one of those. No thanks. They tend to breed the absolute worst online communities.

Tonyx

Never heard of this game before.

What would be the elevator pitch? What sets it aside from competition?

More like The Culling.

This genre of games (H1Z1, The Culling, PBUG) is basically Hunger Games made into a video game. The Culling fell off of a cliff while H1Z1 surged in popularity.

Well, they do sorta have similar formats but the actual gameplay is rather 'abridged', mostly focusing on pure combat and survival. I actually want to see a single-player-capable "Hunger Games" in game form driven by AI that feels more like a long-form campaign - essentially a "roguelike" in a sense but in a format that hasn't been done before. That would be one hell of an interesting concept.

Hylian7

Never heard of this game before.

What would be the elevator pitch? What sets it aside from competition?

It's made by the developer that basically pioneered these kinds of games. It's more of a middle ground between arcade-ish and Arma 3's level of realistic.

Are there things that significantly differentiate this from KotK?

The people I was watching play this, trying to decide if it is worth it, were kind of hinting they prefer KotK and were probably going back to it once the novelty wore off this one.

Tonyx

It's made by the developer that basically pioneered these kinds of games. It's more of a middle ground between arcade-ish and Arma 3's level of realistic.

Thank you. That sounds interesting.

My fault for being out of the loop, I guess.

SomTervo

Wow, never even heard of this. Looks really fun.

I've been dreaming of a proper "Battle Royale" style game since i watched the Japanese film. I know that other game is coming out which sounds similar.

Fantastic idea to streamline/simplify the framework to make it more lean and simple to play.

NeOak

This is weird. Bluehole founded EnMasse to publish their IP in the west. Instead BHS did the direct publishing for this game.

No wonder EME has been kind of hurting lately, BHS gave up on them :/

dave is ok

aztek is ok

The people I was watching play this, trying to decide if it is worth it, were kind of hinting they prefer KotK and were probably going back to it once the novelty wore off this one.
This is slower paced and the guns have attachments you can use to customize how you want to approach a fight, you don't really want to jump right into the group of people because you want to scavenge more for the first five or ten minutes.

Skytylz

Banned
Well, they do sorta have similar formats but the actual gameplay is rather 'abridged', mostly focusing on pure combat and survival. I actually want to see a single-player-capable "Hunger Games" in game form driven by AI that feels more like a long-form campaign - essentially a "roguelike" in a sense but in a format that hasn't been done before. That would be one hell of an interesting concept.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is kinda that.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Are you playing it?

Over 120 hours now between betas and retail easy.

No match is ever the same and its always as fun and exiting and tense to play.

Wow, never even heard of this. Looks really fun.

I've been dreaming of a proper "Battle Royale" style game since i watched the Japanese film. I know that other game is coming out which sounds similar.

Fantastic idea to streamline/simplify the framework to make it more lean and simple to play.

There are coming cosmetic loot from the movie or so they said for the game too so >P

Mantrox

They could make more maps, add in more weather effect. But as it stands they have a lot of things to improve within the main game (specially optimisation for better FPS, and make some things less, clunky). But you are buying for 30$ the game mode of Battle Royal (Last man Standing).

The repetitiveness is the same as people that play CSGO. As long as you have a strong base of a game, and those "oh shi-" or adrenaline pumping moments, people will keep coming.

That Adrenaline at the end of a Duo match is insane.

Over 120 hours now between betas and retail easy.

No match is ever the same and its always as fun and exiting and tense to play.

Good to hear.
Maybe my DayZ jankyness fears are unfounded.
I just gotta convince my Overwatch bud to sacrifice those € so we can duo.

Beatrix

Game is fun but I can't run it well at all at low settings. I know I don't have the newest video card and cpu but a GTX770 should be able to run it decently...

abracadaver

Bought it on friday. Played about 7 hours and only got 5 kills so far.

Regret I didn't preorder to sell the skins on the market.

Yushi

It's much slower than KotK, and there's a lot less action. You won't be seeing someone with 20+ kill in a solo match. KotK is an arcade game while PUBG is more "realistic" without being Arma.

What makes it better imo, is the fact that the gunplay is much much better.

Duo is better for streamers because there's a bit more action. But camping is totally a thing that's sometimes needed in this one

jediyoshi

It's much slower than KotK, and there's a lot less action. You won't be seeing someone with 20+ kill in a solo match. KotK is an arcade game while PUBG is more "realistic" without being Arma.

What makes it better imo, is the fact that the gunplay is much much better.

Good summary. I also like the part where it looks like a modern video game whereas H1Z1 already looked/felt dated when it first came out. I guess it's to their benefit since H1Z1 can run on toasters.

Regret I didn't preorder to sell the skins on the market.

Yup, it's destroying me. Game could've paid for itself right off the bat.

Game is fun but I can't run it well at all at low settings. I know I don't have the newest video card and cpu but a GTX770 should be able to run it decently...

How does it run for you exactly? My girlfriend has been wanting to get in on the game but she also has a 770 and I wasn't sure if would be adequate.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
100s of hours for 29.99
Early Access + 30 dollars gives me a DayZ PTSD flashback.

That being said, I enjoy what I played so far and I have high hopes for this one and will probably buy it once some magic gets done to make it more playable performance-wise

Top Bottom