• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

It's imperfect, but I love the games I've played so far (Wolfenstein, THLOU, Dragon Age looks good, etc.)

I enjoy my 400 dollar netflix box!

For media it really sucks. No media remote, no DLNA support, no HBOgo via Comcast, no HDD native support for anything but MP3. I bought it for games, but I really did expect it to do what the PS3 already could in this regard.

JordanN

Banned
A genuine question: What can save PS4 in Japan? Morpheus? Yakuza? Eroge and VN? Idolmaster? Final Fantasy XV? Or none? I am a bit depressed when seeing that Japan has evolved into a mobile game market recently.

I think it's Morpheus.

1. It's a new gadget. People like new things.
2. Japan doesn't care about high end PC gaming. It's possible Morpheus could become the defacto VR device for the Japanese.
3. If VR is a success, it could lead to Japanese developers making a resurgence in video games. VR could be like the early PS1 days where games were free to take risks without worrying about blowing budget.
4. Sony is already putting one of their Japanese teams on it.

I think it's Morpheus.

1. It's a new gadget. People like new things.
2. Japan doesn't care about high end PC gaming. It's possible Morpheus could become the defacto VR device for the Japanese.
3. If VR is a success, it could lead to Japanese developers making a resurgence in video games. VR could be like the early PS1 days where games where free to take risks without worrying about blowing budget.
4. Sony is already putting one of their Japanese teams on it.
Also, you don't even need a huge living room.
A kapuseru hoteru might be enough...

Kosma

Banned
You don't think it will sell millions? Persona 4 Golden on the Vita sold 900k. Persona 5 will definitely sell millions on the PS3/PS4, especially with the lack of JRPGs on the PS4.

Didnt know p4 did 900k, nice!

I just started it now and liking it, so def gonna pick up 5 :)

I do feel they should have made a vita version too.

Melchiah

For media it really sucks. No media remote, no DLNA support, no HBOgo via Comcast, no HDD native support for anything but MP3. I bought it for games, but I really did expect it to do what the PS3 already could in this regard.

Why not use the TV remote via HDMI-CEC?

It's imperfect, but I love the games I've played so far (Wolfenstein, THLOU, Dragon Age looks good, etc.)

I know it's not full DLNA support, but you can use the Plex web browser app to stream all your videos from your PC to your Ps4.. Once you log into your Plex account in the PS4 Browser, just bookmark it for easy access baby...

If we look at sofware sales between gen 6 and gen 7, did we really see an increase proportional to the "magic 80" we suddenly saw popping up in Wii sales?
Because in the end, it's probably software sales that are indicating of a market's health, and the Wii was (or so I have been reading I think) notoriously bad for 3rd party titles, with the possible exception of some "Dance" or other motion based titles.

rcYQHdCl.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

The Wii was great for third parties. 3rd parties sold hundred of millions of software units. The notion that 3rd parties sold poorly on the Wii is just one huge myth. Ubisoft, Activision, EA etc all made a killing on the Wii, just look up their 2007-2010 reports .

It does not play well with my receiver. Which is not uncommon. I'm just saying a remote would be nice. Hell, Sony could use the money from some overpriced accessories and I could use another remote as nice as the PS3 remote so I stop accidentally hitting the shoulder buttons.

Melchiah

It does not play well with my receiver. Which is not uncommon. I'm just saying a remote would be nice. Hell, Sony could use the money from some overpriced accessories and I could use another remote as nice as the PS3 remote so I stop accidentally hitting the shoulder buttons.

I've never had problem with it myself (Bravia TV, no receiver), but a Bluetooth remote would be nice though.

Melchiah

i have a harmony remote that the ps4 doesn't work with and its mildly annoying

means the xbox gets more play (as a netflix box)

I still use the PS3 for Netflix. Mainly because the system works as my media hub, and I kinda want to spare the PS4 from keeping it on for hours when I'm watching series on Netflix.

stryke

Didnt know p4 did 900k, nice!

I just started it now and liking it, so def gonna pick up 5 :)

I do feel they should have made a vita version too.

I don't know where he got that 900k figure from. The last figure released that I know of is 700k at the end of 2013.

driver116

They should copy the Amazon one (with mic built in).

I still use the PS3 for Netflix. Mainly because the system works as my media hub, and I kinda want to spare the PS4 from keeping it on for hours when I'm watching series on Netflix.

PS4 would probably be the better option as it uses less power, is less noisy and from what I can tell has better power management. Just needs the damn functionality.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know where he got that 900k figure from. The last figure released that I know of is 700k at the end of 2013.

And it's been more than a year since then, with a P4GA anime which boosted sales and a "the Best" Vita re-release in Japan. The last figure released was 350k copies shipped in Japan (including digital), on April 8, 2014. 800k-900k seems like a likely number right now, though we don't know for sure.

Melchiah

PS4 would probably be the better option as it uses less power, is less noisy and from what I can tell has better power management. Just needs the damn functionality.

And far more snappier. My PS3 slim (the first kind) is pretty silent though. Dust build up is a pretty big problem in this old house I'm living in, so I'm keeping the PS4 dedicated to games for now.

I haven't really watched BRs/DVDs lately, due to the rental stores disappearing from the neighborhood, but is the PS3 still a better player than the PS4?

driver116

And far more snappier. My PS3 slim (the first kind) is pretty silent though. Dust build up is a pretty big problem in this old house I'm living in, so I'm keeping the PS4 dedicated to games for now.

I haven't really watched BRs/DVDs lately, due to the rental stores disappearing from the neighborhood, but is the PS3 still a better player than the PS4?

Yeah, may fat PS3 used to clog up - I often had to dismantle it and hover it out.

To be honest I think they're about equal - I can't think of any benefit either has over one another. They're both dedicated also believe (ie run outside of the OS).

Melchiah

Yeah, may fat PS3 used to clog up - I often had to dismantle it and hover it out.

To be honest I think they're about equal - I can't think of any benefit either has over one another. They're both dedicated also believe (ie run outside of the OS).

My 60GB PS3 sounded like a Hoover. Watching movies with it wasn't what I'd call a pleasant experience.

IIRC, I read somewhere over here, that the PS4 wasn't as good BR/DVD player as the PS3, but it's been a while and I don't remember the exact reasons for it.

driver116

My 60GB PS3 sounded like a Hoover. Watching movies with it wasn't what I'd call a pleasant experience.

IIRC, I read somewhere over here, that the PS4 wasn't as good BR/DVD player as the PS3, but it's been a while and I don't remember the exact reasons for it.

I've watched a handful of Blurays on PS4 and they played fine. I think it has the same on-screen tools as the PS3 one.

Could've been back when the PS4 didn't play 3D Blu-Rays, which it does do now.

Mine doesn't work right for this. I did, however, already give Sony $25
literally, as I bought it at a Sony store :)
for a Bluetooth media remote that should have no problem connecting to the PS4's hardware if it weren't for software limitations.

Seems like something they should've patched in by now.

EDIT: As stated by someone above, my Harmony remote also doesn't work, which is disappointing.

The PS4 did suffer from sometimes going out of sync, audio wise which was very annoying. I don’t think I have seen it recently so im not sure if that issue has been fixed.

Melchiah

Could've been back when the PS4 didn't play 3D Blu-Rays, which it does do now.

The PS4 did suffer from sometimes going out of sync, audio wise which was very annoying. I don’t think I have seen it recently so im not sure if that issue has been fixed.

Well, I don't have a 3D TV, so that doesn't concern me unlike the audio issue, which sounds like a bigger problem if it isn't fixed yet.

Mine doesn't work right for this. I did, however, already give Sony $25
literally, as I bought it at a Sony store :)
for a Bluetooth media remote that should have no problem connecting to the PS4's hardware if it weren't for software limitations.

Seems like something they should've patched in by now.

EDIT: As stated by someone above, my Harmony remote also doesn't work, which is disappointing.

A dedicated Bluetooth remote would be welcomed, as the TV remote doesn't have the same features.

Top Bottom