• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

Trogdor1123

Lacking resources? the years of planning and putting it in place, they never realized they lacked resources, riding the wave or 360?

I don't buy the resource argument.
They are not an infinite well of money people and time. They spent years aligning to a very specific strategy and had to tear most of it down almost over night.

They never realized it because they were so focused. Ggpd on them for being able to do what they have since.

bman94

Right. So, the launch didn't hinder them, then - the problem is their attitude. After all, you're not going to get anywhere if you've already given up.

The launch most definitely hurt them. Japan sales for Xbox 360 was bad, and they are horrendous for Xbox One but the Japan market for dedicated home consoles having been on decline for years and even Nintendo and Sony are feeling that pain. But when the initial word of always online was being broadcasted about the Xbox One, tons of countries with poor internet gave up on Microsoft right away.

Tigress

Over time? Nintendo dropped the ball to Sony in one fell swoop with the N64. And Sony again with the PS3. I'm not saying that brand doesn't matter at all, it obviously does, but it's clear consumers care more for the product and games than they do the name. Were that not the case, the original Playstation would have never eclipsed Nintendo the way it did.

The N64 is not what killed it for Nintendo. Sure, Sony got a huge step up from that but Nintendo could have recovered from that. Nintendo got to where it is by insisting on forgetting about supporting third parties and continously pushing them away to the point that they have solidified a rep for no third parties).

Sony's PS3 would have failed without the name brand cause it would not have lasted long enough for Sony to save without the name. WIthout the name by the time Sony started really getting it back in gear the developers would have abandoned it (most consoles would have failed at that point. Hell, look at how just xbox's start set it back enough to give PS the momentum. Even MS says they can't "win" this generation <- not saying xbox one is a failure but even MS has admitted they aren't going to catch up). The name brand was strong enough to get them to come back. Now if Sony had another PS3 with PS4, that would be harder.

Yes, name brand only goes so far, but it does help. But over time if you keep relying on it while doing things to weaken it, it will stop carrying you so far.

Intrigue

Banned
The launch most definitely hurt them. Japan sales for Xbox 360 was bad, and they are horrendous for Xbox One but the Japan market for dedicated home consoles having been on decline for years and even Nintendo and Sony are feeling that pain. But when the initial word of always online was being broadcasted about the Xbox One, tons of countries with poor internet gave up on Microsoft right away.

Well, you could just move to a place with better internet?

Or

We already got a product for those people, its called 360.

Raist

Banned
So, any bets as to where on that list (Top 10 December NPD for home consoles) the PS4 will be placed?

1) Wii - 3,810,000 ( December 2009)
2) PS2 - 2,733,000 (December 2002)
3) Wii - 2,360,000 (December 2010)
4) Wii - 2,150,000 (December 2008)
5) PS2 - 1,971,000 (December 2001)
6) PS2 - 1,970,000 (December 2003)
7) 360 - 1,860,000 (December 2010)
8) 360 - 1,700,000 (December 2011)
9) PS2 - 1,500,000 (December 2005)
10) 360 - 1,440,000 (December 2008)

I'm gonna say #8

There's no evidence for this though is there? Both the PS4 and XB1 are selling faster than their predecessors. And no, this won't match the previous generation in sales, because the previous gen included the Wii which was a cultural phenomenon/fad. The people that made the Wii popular never bought consoles before and likely never will again. This doesn't mean phones and tablets are taking over.

There's plenty of evidence, unless you're one of those people who just say "its nintendo's fault for dropping the ball with the Wii U' and ignore what's happening in the industry. And I was saying the sixth generation. Not the seventh. If the PS4 sells 100 million, the Xbone sells 80, and the Wii U sells 15 it still wont match the 200 million mark sold in the sixth generation. Which also included the PS2, that arguably had a significant portion of its install base due to people buying the thing as a cheap DVD player. There's always been a casual market in gaming consoles, and now its virtually gone. To say it started and ended with the Wii is ridiculous and to me is just a way of fudging numbers to make it look like the console market isn't contracting.

If it was completely different making a Xbox One game vs making PS4 & PC games I know for sure that some devs would make the choice to make PS4/PC only if the PS4 keep pulling away like this.

It's already happening there is almost 2X as many games on PS4 as it is on Xbox One & they both came out the same month & it's just as easy to make a game on Xbox One as it is on PS4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games
I know we all like our lists, but there's A LOT of games missing from that Xbox list. Look at the edit history on both documents and see that the PS4 list gets a lot more love than the Xbox list. That is not a valid source of information to compare libraries.

Concept17

I don't think it was your intention but the way you worded this sounds like you think Japan has poor internet, when it in fact has amazing internet.

I don't think we disagree, I just think this is an incredibly reductive way of looking things. You're essentially suggesting that all things being equal, the Xbox One would have beaten the PS4 into the dust. And I'm telling you that, by making a global product, Sony always had the upper-hand anyway -- bungled Xbox One launch or not.

Sony made a great global product and effectively marketed it to a global audience. Regardless of the competition's missteps, you can't just sweep Sony's strategy under the carpet and make out like they're only reaping this current success because everyone else couldn't get their house in order. It's not fair and it's not an accurate appraisal of the situation.

Welfare

So, any bets as to where on that list (Top 10 December NPD for home consoles) the PS4 will be placed?

I'm gonna say #8
It'll be the new #9 I think. Right between the PS2 and 360.

You don't expect it not to. That's basically saying nothing. Statements like that and "I'm not so sure that ..." are essentially pointless.

I disagree. I don't expect it to outsell the PS4, but it could since we don't even know what the fuck it is. It's hard to make predictions on the unknown, but what truly is pointless is to say for sure what the market share will be for it considering it's Nintendo and they love throwing curveballs.

specialK

Banned
35.9 million and this dude got the first one

ku-xlarge.gif

Ombala

I'm gonna say #8
What's in the box!

Rymuth

Not really, there is still a big audience on Xbox One that no publisher would want to cut out just because it's less work.
Your supposition hinges on the idea that said 'big audience' would be buying those games but if they won't, we've seen plenty of examples of Publishers skipping the Xbone entirely...from Square-Enix and Namco-Bandai to Kalypso Media and Devolver Digital.

joecanada

Wasn't trying to complain but that is how it came off. I was mainly annoyed at the "salt" thing that keeps popping up. I get that it's being used with posters that I guess are notorious for coming in threads like these and shitting on them or something, but I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt if I can and seeing people being dismissive of others instead of just ignoring them rubs me the wrong way.

Well, I guess it bothers me because I am a very easily agitated person. Not trying to be a smartass either, that's just kind of the truth.

And I did just that actually. I got it a couple months ago because after Sony's E3 I knew I friggin needed one for this year. However I was super excited for the PS4 before it came out and have desperately wanted a reason to get one for years, it always bummed me out not being able to justify it until recently. I'm not pissed at Sony or anything, it came off that way earlier I guess because I wasn't in a great mood.

I'm actually just relieved to see the lineup for this year, of course I wish it didn't take so long, but I shouldn't hold it against them. There are good reasons for these things that have been pointed out to me.

Also that picture actually made me laugh.

Ya I know what you are saying some people are over the top and seem to only appear in sales threads for " nah nah nah " posts at others but I do believe many more see success of Sony as more sony games for them and perhaps even a healthy industry and more stuff like TLG which I don't believe would be possible without this success and it may not even be profitable in the end.

I could see how someone could be impatient so far if they bought a PS4 for Mgs, uc, kz, Bloodborne, etc. The output is slow but I just have to say I love their spring releases and leave holidays for big hitters

Personally I don't actually buy that many sony exclusives so their appearance doesn't affect me much but I do enjoy most sony products to be honest and want them to succeed. Always liked their consoles, TV's and phones.

onQ123

I'm gonna say #8

7 or 8

Cess007

I'm gonna say #8

It still amaze me that the Wii almost did 4 millions. That's insane.

OT: As for the PS4, i'm guessing 7 or 8th place.

rauelius

In terms of your argument of a hypothetical shorter cycle:
If PS2 is any indication, shorter console cycles mean little to the sole dominating console of its generation. I believe being succesfull will deter Sony from killing off PS4 production and counterbalance a potentially faster arrival of new consoles. PS4 will be the biggest rival of the next leading console(s), in its first years, even if it is PS5.The question is, how long will that last, but I certainly see a preservation of the PS4 life in any case.

That's why I believe Sony (and maybe Microsoft) will go a route similar to what Apple has done with the iPhone, but instead of a yearly cadence, it's every 3-5 years. The PS5 could be a PS4, but with massively improved guts and ability to play older titles, similarly to how I can still play the Bomberman game I bought on my iPhone 3G on an iPhone 6s.

bman94

Well, you could just move to a place with better internet?

Or

We already got a product for those people, its called 360.

lmao. The king of terrible marketing.

I don't think it was your intention but the way you worded this sounds like you think Japan has poor internet, when it in fact has amazing internet.

Yeah, not at all. Hell, there's still parts of the US where their only source of internet is dial-up.

I don't think we disagree, I just think this is an incredibly reductive way of looking things. You're essentially suggesting that all things being equal, the Xbox One would have beaten the PS4 into the dust. And I'm telling you that, by making a global product, Sony always had the upper-hand anyway -- bungled Xbox One launch or not.

Sony made a great global product and effectively marketed it to a global audience. Regardless of the competition's missteps, you can't just sweep Sony's strategy under the carpet and make out like they're only reaping this current success because everyone else couldn't get their house in order. It's not fair and it's not an accurate appraisal of the situation.

Trust me I'm not saying that Xbox One would have beaten the PS4 into the dust I'm saying that if Microsoft had not stumbled out the gate the market share would be very different. Xbox 360 just barely reach a few more consoles sold than PS3, so the core demographic was there from the start, poor marketing messed that all up for Microsoft. I also said it was the biggest but not the only factor to why Sony is leading the console sells. They made great decisions on price, features like PSN+, and exclusive deals like Street Fighter V which all benefit Sony's position but Sony has essentially been following the same strategy for years. They offered a cut-throat mentality for the Playstation and Playstation 2 era with affordable pricing, strong third party connections and being about hard core games from the get go. Both Nintendo and Microsoft had followed that same mentality before and at various points of video game history that worked out very well for them. Sony's overall strategy isn't anything new, it's something tired, true and proven to work but when compared to strategies that failed, it just becomes more successful.

download2.gif

Oh man GAF and I guess the whole internet was going crazy with that stuff as the PS4 excitement was ramping up. Those were such fun times.
That whole period, leading up to the PS4 was probably the most fun time I can remember gaming wise. So many good gifs, jokes amd just a lot of good spirit and fun. Was the best gaf has been too in my mind.

ExVicis

Goddamn Sony, you keep it up. Save gaming from the "crash". Can't wait to see what you guys do with this, only more good can come of it. Looking forward to your next series of game announcements.

Papacheeks

Banned
There's plenty of evidence, unless you're one of those people who just say "its nintendo's fault for dropping the ball with the Wii U' and ignore what's happening in the industry. And I was saying the sixth generation. Not the seventh. If the PS4 sells 100 million, the Xbone sells 80, and the Wii U sells 15 it still wont match the 200 million mark sold in the sixth generation. Which also included the PS2, that arguably had a significant portion of its install base due to people buying the thing as a cheap DVD player. There's always been a casual market in gaming consoles, and now its virtually gone. To say it started and ended with the Wii is ridiculous and to me is just a way of fudging numbers to make it look like the console market isn't contracting.

Not to derail but it was NINTENDO's fault for dropping the ball on that console, and not understanding the market.

Trojan

download2.gif

Oh man GAF and I guess the whole internet was going crazy with that stuff as the PS4 excitement was ramping up. Those were such fun times.

That whole period, leading up to the PS4 was probably the most fun time I can remember gaming wise. So many good gifs, jokes amd just a lot of good spirit and fun. Was the best gaf has been too in my mind.

Totally agree, that time was so much fun. The hype machine was at top speed and there was so much excitement for the new consoles. GAF was an animal house from Feb - Dec 2013. Lots of laughs, tears, and salt.

onQ123

I know we all like our lists, but there's A LOT of games missing from that Xbox list. Look at the edit history on both documents and see that the PS4 list gets a lot more love than the Xbox list. That is not a valid source of information to compare libraries.

How wrong could it be? it's not like they could have missed 100 Xbox One games.

Top Bottom