• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 35.9 million sold through to end users

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah Sony been killing it. Quite amazing and perhaps the reason we see so many games being announced for Win10 by MS.

Im curious if the rise will continue in 2016 or dip off.

They have very good games planned for 2016 [shame U4 slipped from Q1 to Q2], console price is lower than it was in first three-quarters of the last year, and PSVR will possibly give it another boost.

Its cool and all, but i dont understand why its still selling so well.

I mean since its launch, nothing really improved in OS or Services aka PSN. Some of the first Party games for my taste are really uninteresting and really dont provide much if you are multiplayer gamer.

I mean XboxOne IMO does it way better at the moment. Monthly OS Updates, we got a completly redesigned and faster UI, BC and the Games with Gold selection is way better too over the month and with BC even better.

Sure its great that its selling well, but i really cant understand it. Sure the Hardware is better. But cmon nobody can deny that Sony is really lazy so far.

Monthly OS updates ? you think the regular people care about that ? Btw, i'm still waiting for custom soundtracks and remote play for Xbox One same as i'm still waiting for friends notifications on PS4. Bottom line, both still have work to do but imo, the Xbox One still has many issues to fix before claiming they do monthly updates as if it means they're really ahead of the PS4 features wise. The new UI while great and mostly fast, still has many bugs and isn't consistent.

Games taste is really subjective and people are voting with their wallets, aka buying games on PS4. Sony must be doing something right if it's killing the competition, multiplayer games and single. And what does the XB1 has multiplayer wise that Sony doesn't have ? am i missing something ? i can play Black Ops 3 and Battlefront on PS4 just fine, which are the hot thing right now.

I think Sony are doing what they always did. Bringing games for all kind of tastes and variety. On top of their very good messaging at launch and price. This is where Microsoft shit the bed.

JordanN

Banned
I keep saying PS4 is going to last more than 5 years.

When there's 40 million people on one console, how can some still assume Publishers will abandon all that for a PS5/Xb4/NX releasing tomorrow?

xion4360

The no games comments are always weird.. there are quality multiplatform games and a rather monstrous upcoming lineup. Its not always about what games just came out, the future of PS4 looks healthy and that also makes it more attractive at the moment.

LifEndz

Sony loves to toss their numbers out every chance they get. We all get it. They sold a TON of consoles...now how about they fix their network and put out some damn games.

I know right. I mean, what the hell are all these people playing on a system with no games? Sheesh. /s

Danlord

I don't know what to predict anymore, but 2016 PS4 will surely slow down, right?

With a possible Slim model, Sony's big hitters like Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian, VR (I know this will get mixed reactions), good third-party deals that Sony always do; I don't think it's going to slow down at all. In fact I think 2016 could be bigger than 2015 in terms of sales.

evilr

Banned
Big number, congrats to Sony and the people behind it who worked hard to achieve this number.
Are you sure it's not PR speak and lies?

No deceiving here. Just a straight up "heres how many people own a PS4". No bullshit PR statement.

RexNovis

Banned
This means that the number of PS4s sold through to consumers is likely to be 2x the amount of XB1s sold in (~18 million going by their recent PR) WW.

oti

Banned
Set your bias aside, I don't think it's difficult at all to see why it's the clear winner this gen. PS4 is THE console to get, XBO is a "maybe-purchase" if you want another console after owning the PS4 for a couple of years. But come one, that's not what average Joe does. He gets a PS4, FIFA, CoD and maybe Assassin's Creed and he'll never think of the XBO.

I really wish Sony would freshen up their online structure though. Don't try entertainment crap like the XBO, just make everything run better. Way better, in the case of PSN.

Chastten

Banned
That's quite a lot. Good for Sony, they hit all the right marks this time around so they deserve it.

At this rate they're bound to surpass 100 million by the end of the generation, no?

dnmt

Banned
With a possible Slim model, Sony's big hitters like Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian, VR (I know this will get mixed reactions), good third-party deals that Sony always do; I don't think it's going to slow down at all. In fact I think 2016 could be bigger than 2015 in terms of sales.

Same. The PS4 has exceeded any and all expectations for the last two years it's been out-- there's absolutely no reason to think that will change any time soon with all the big guns coming out in 2016.

I don't know about calling The Last Guardian a "big hitter" man. At the most it'll be a moderate commercial success, but really it exists to have something for the journos to fawn over in their reviews.

BigDug13

I think online ecosystems will cause an even more exponential increase. Friends are buying what their early adopter friends have in order to be able to play together. My little brother was choosing between XBO and PS4 and went with PS4 because both other brothers have PS4.

mejin

Imagine it when it have games.

When+a+starbucks+closes+for+a+kfc+when+you+re+not_4ca5d7_5496569.gif

HardRojo

And I have Street Fighter V, Dark Souls III and Uncharted 4 to look forward to on the horizon. Not to mention games from last year that I have yet to play. Congrats on the achievement PlayStation!

I don't know about calling The Last Guardian a "big hitter" man. At the most it'll be a moderate commercial success, but really it exists to have something for the journos to fawn over in their reviews.

It's niche, but for a bunch of PS-users, this game will be the point where they just have to enter this gen.

Heimbeck

Banned
I really wish Sony would freshen up their online structure though. Don't try entertainment crap like the XBO, just make everything run better. Way better, in the case of PSN.

What does having "entertainment crap" have to do with making stuff run better?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
From Zhuge EX

PS4 holiday sales in 2015 = 5.7 million units
PS3 holiday sales in 2009 = 3.8 million units
PS2 holiday sales in 2001 = 5.3 million units

Top Bottom