• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Vashetti

Banned
No idea if this is possible, but are there any resources Sony can free up on the Pro in the future?

For example, they freed up the 7th CPU core on the OG PS4 for devs to use.

Question for the Pro owners in here.

I changed my Pro setup from horizontal semi-enclosed to vertical with the stand, and it makes a huge difference for airflow and temperature. I barely hear the fans anymore and it's almost completely silent.

Except.

The disc drive is now noisy as fuck. To the point where I feel like it's not made to be used vertically. It sounds like a chainsaw. I know it's not too silent horizontally either, but this is something else.

So my question is: anyone else using it vertically? How's your disc drive sound?

dealer-

Question for the Pro owners in here.

I changed my Pro setup from horizontal semi-enclosed to vertical with the stand, and it makes a huge difference for airflow and temperature. I barely hear the fans anymore and it's almost completely silent.

Except.

The disc drive is now noisy as fuck. To the point where I feel like it's not made to be used vertically. It sounds like a chainsaw. I know it's not too silent horizontally either, but this is something else.

So my question is: anyone else using it vertically? How's your disc drive sound?

I had exactly the same problem using it vertically, the disc drive is cheap as shit, but the noise went back to normal after I went back to using it horizontally and then started using the stand again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It appears that the disc drive moves about slightly from my experience. You might want to try putting it back down when not in use or just picking it up and moving it around when it's switched off until you can get that grinding, chainsaw noise to go away.

But yes, the stand has been great for airflow and noise levels, I can hardly hear it now even when in Uncharted 4 menus. Total contrast to the OG with the stand, which was much noisier than having it horizontally.

Anyway, I've been using the stand for more than a month now without the grinding noise so you should be able to find a way to stop it.

I had exactly the same problem using it vertically, the disc drive is cheap as shit, but the noise went back to normal after I went back to using it horizontally and then started using the stand again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

It appears that the disc drive moves about slightly from my experience. You might want to try putting it back down when not in use or just picking it up and moving it around when it's switched off until you can get that grinding, chainsaw noise to go away.

But yes, the stand has been great for airflow and noise levels, I can hardly hear it now even when in Uncharted 4 menus. Total contrast to the OG with the stand, which was much noisier than having it horizontally.

Anyway, I've been using the stand for more than a month now without the grinding noise so you should be able to find a way to stop it.

Hahahaha. Wow, okay.

I'll, erm, tilt and shake my Pro until the noise goes away.

I'll let you know if it works!

Thinking about getting a Pro - is it really necessary to do a system transfer if I'm willing to download/reinstall all my games and don't have any saved screenshots/videos? Can I just backup my saves and be done with it?

Thinking about getting a Pro - is it really necessary to do a system transfer if I'm willing to download/reinstall all my games and don't have any saved screenshots/videos? Can I just backup my saves and be done with it?

That's what I did; backed up everything to the Cloud. Went onto the Cloud via the PS4 and removed anything I didn't really want on there (old games / beta saves).

Set up the PS4 Pro - downloaded all the game saves I wanted to have on the PS4 Pro, then downloaded the digital games from the library / installed from CD.

I just have to remember to re-download the cloud backups for any old games I want to play in the future (otherwise it could override them on the cloud!).

Planet

downloaded all the game saves I wanted to have on the PS4 Pro, then downloaded the digital games from the library / installed from CD.
okp66FD.gif

Quick question. Is anybody's Pro pretty audible when on standby mode? Even if I'm not downloading anything during standby mode, my Pros fans are on and it blows warm air out the back. It's not crazy loud, but I can Definitely here it when I go in the gaming room to grab something or to watch the tv. :/

Kysen

Took me 4hrs to system transfer everything on my old ps4 (800GB). Not sure why you would bother to re-download everything.

Took me 4hrs to system transfer everything on my old ps4 (800GB). Not sure why you would bother to re-download everything.

Well most of my library is physical and I've got a 100+ Mbps connection and PSN speeds are usually good for me. Game patches would only be the really big download I'd have to do.

Rellik

Quick question. Is anybody's Pro pretty audible when on standby mode? Even if I'm not downloading anything during standby mode, my Pros fans are on and it blows warm air out the back. It's not crazy loud, but I can Definitely here it when I go in the gaming room to grab something or to watch the tv. :/

Sounds like you may have lost out on the fan lottery. My OG PS4 was like that, but my Pro is silent.

Haha just imparting my high end tech knowledge. You could give it a few smacks like an old TV. Pro needs some tough love.
Holy fucking shit, it actually worked.

Spinned the Pro around a couple times and gave it a good shake, and while there's still an audible hum, it's way less noisy than before.

Lady Gaia

Well most of my library is physical and I've got a 100+ Mbps connection and PSN speeds are usually good for me.

Using a basic Cat 5e cable to connect a PS4 and Pro you'll get everything automatically transferred over a 1Gbps connection with a single step. I don't see how anything else could be simper.

Ahasverus

Totally, it's definetely there, specially if downloading something. Which is a shame compared to the totally dead-soounding PS4 slim standby mode. The fact that the light also reamains turned on on the Pro is bad too.

1st PS4 Pro, HDD got loud and annoying.
2nd PS4 Pro had some rattle sound, very annoying.
3rd PS4 Pro that I now have does have a damn noisy disc drive that doesn't stop making sounds.

dealer-

Holy fucking shit, it actually worked.

Spinned the Pro around a couple times and gave it a good shake, and while there's still an audible hum, it's way less noisy than before.

Good stuff! I'm scared to move mine again now in case it comes back. The disc drive really is a piece of shit in this thing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone's Pro's fans not fire up like crazy when playing 60 FPS mode in Nioh? The craziest part is when the fans blow the fastest when you're at the blacksmith.

Does anyone's Pro's fans not fire up like crazy when playing 60 FPS mode in Nioh? The craziest part is when the fans blow the fastest when you're at the blacksmith.
Mine are silent since I placed it in the vertical stand. It used to be a lot louder in a semi-enclosed space.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Feel like I won the lottery, bought a used Pro and so far no loud fans or whines. Mordor makes the fans a bit louder, but it's still perfectly acceptable so far.

Hard to find a Pro in the UK. No stock at Argos, Amazon, GAME, TESCO, PC World/Currys and John Lewis.

shopto claim to have some though.

15 days before HZD launches and no bleeding stock.

juventino

Banned
That's what I did; backed up everything to the Cloud. Went onto the Cloud via the PS4 and removed anything I didn't really want on there (old games / beta saves).

Set up the PS4 Pro - downloaded all the game saves I wanted to have on the PS4 Pro, then downloaded the digital games from the library / installed from CD.

I just have to remember to re-download the cloud backups for any old games I want to play in the future (otherwise it could override them on the cloud!).

This is not true, you cannot download game saves from the cloud without having the game installed on the hard drive first

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, now I know for sure you know what you're talking about. Yeah, OG with the stand (or just seated vertically really) was a big no-no as it would increase the fan noise quite a bit. Many people didn't seem to realise that.

I've naturally assumed that Pro is the same way, so didn't even bother trying putting it vertical. Especially because the console was already far less loud than my OG ever was - but tonight I'm definitely going to see what happens when I stand it vertically.

juventino

Banned
Lots of people seem to be having noise issues with the pro, but I barely even notice the thing is on when i play. Maybe you guys have a defective pro? I just hope it doesn't happen to me, knock on wood

This is not true, you cannot download game saves from the cloud without having the game installed on the hard drive first

TBH you are probably right - it's been several months since I got my Pro so my memory might be a bit fuzzy. But deffo download the cloud save before running the game (I lost my Ratchet & Clank save :()

Lots of people seem to be having noise issues with the pro, but I barely even notice the thing is on when i play. Maybe you guys have a defective pro? I just hope it doesn't happen to me, knock on wood

My Pro is near silent. Probably the same as my old Xbox One, which I can't ever remember hearing the fan on that. My OG PS4 though.... hair dryer, even after cleaning and applying thermal paste :/

Muninn

Banned
I would think the new firmware has a driver update for the Pro GPU. I expect at least a bit more stability and maybe some performance boosts in games no? It has been sometime since a firmware update for the Pro.

1st PS4 Pro, HDD got loud and annoying.
2nd PS4 Pro had some rattle sound, very annoying.
3rd PS4 Pro that I now have does have a damn noisy disc drive that doesn't stop making sounds.
I am all digital except BF4. I never used the disc drive on the Pro until earlier this evening. The disc drive itself is pretty loud compared to my digital games. I also have Pro Enhanced games and they all remain silent while playing digitally on the Pro.

@Wreck

thats what i did

i'm not excited the transfer process takes too long

Sanchito

This is what I did. I don't have a large enough external drive to do a system transfer, so I just uploaded my saves and then re downloaded my games. It took a good while for my games to download, but that wasn't a huge deal.

Luke_Wal

Has anyone heard of faulty HDMI ports in these? My TV (Vizio P) allows all my other devices to do 4K/HDR through the same HDMI ports with the same cables, but my PS4 says it can only do "2K HDR" and won't let me select RGB. I'm starting to think it must be the PS4, rather than my TV. Anybody have any feedback on this?

Got my Pro about a week ago.

Using on a 65 KS8000.

Seems pretty good. UI seems sharper? The TV detected that RE7 was HDR.

Not really sure it was worth the upgrade, but eh, it's fine.

It's very loud though. Not all the time, but installing games from disc was like a jet engine.

Much louder than my launch PS4, Launch Xbox One, and Xbox One S.

dealer-

Using on a 65 KS8000.

It's very loud though. Not all the time, but installing games from disc was like a jet engine.

Damn son, not worth the upgrade with a 65 inch 4K HDR TV? Think of us poor 1080p owners.

danowat

Banned

Using on a 65 KS8000.

It's a very incremental upgrade, at least until 4.5 opens up beast mode, but the IQ on The Witness and R&C are unbelievably good.

And yeah, the disc drive is noisy as.

Damn son, not worth the upgrade with a 65 inch 4K HDR TV? Think of us poor 1080p owners.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but it's essentially what we would expect to pay for the next Playstation.

It launched at the same price as the original PS4.

It's definitely not that leap you would normally expect paying the same price you paid when the previous console launched. The lack of a 4K drive bothers me and it will bother me even more when the Pro gets upgraded to have that 4K drive.

There was this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I have a pretty good TV, and my playstation experience can be better on it.

If I didn't have this TV, I probably would not have bought it.

shanafan

I can see his point though.

I had my Pro hooked up a 65" 4K HDR, but sitting more than 6 feet away, it didn't have a 'wow' factor for me.

But, I now have the Pro hooked up to a 24" 4K desktop monitor and sitting 2 feet away, it's awesome. Pure awesome.

DjRalford

DF's sniper elite comparison is up on youtube, looks like they're just rendering 1080p resolution with extra details and improved framerate, i've not heard of a game sticking with a 1080p resolution in order to increase framerate on pro yet, is this the first?

https://youtu.be/84NESbC-SLA

Top Bottom