• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Shock32

Is it a Vizio? Let me know if it works for you because the latest update doesn't let the pro send a signal to my TV if I use that slot.

I have a Vizio, I initially plugged in the pro and it worked on the HDMI 5 port and said it was 4k. I updated it and then it rebooted and now it won't send a signal to hdmi 5 which is the 60hz. I been messing with it for an hour.

Shin-Ra

Rez Infinite [PS4] 1080p

29993374430_7eeea17d9e_o.png

Rez Infinite [PS4 Pro] 2160p

30816276851_0c06dfdb54_o.png

So have any Black Friday deals for the PS4Pro popped up yet? Am I wasting my time expecting them and should I just get it at Target's 10% off? Is it actually worth it for performance increases rather than resolution buffs?

bitoriginal

Managed to try out the pro on my non HDR 4k tv tonight. The transfer process is pretty painless, took about 80 minutes to transfer 400 gigs. The menu feels alot quicker which is nice, but don't expect any drastic differences from the OG experience.

The difference is definitely subtle for some games. First game I booted up was Skyrim, which definitely has much cleaner IQ, but I think the DF analysis was correct in that it does drop a few frames now and again. Kinda noticed a slight bit of microstutter when walking around. That's probably down to Bethesda rather than the pro though.

Battlefield 1 didn't seem to be that much different in terms of graphical fidelity, at least not from normal viewing distance. I guess things were a bit sharper but it doesn't scream pro version. The framerate definitely seemed a bit more stable when playing 64 player operations on Monte Grappa.

Tomb Raider on the other hand was a great example of a pro patch done right. In the options you get three choices, 4k resolution, enhanced graphics or 60fps gameplay. Out of the three, I preferred 4k resolution because it looked fantastic on my TV. Really clean impressive graphics.

Overall my first impressions were good, it's definitely an incremental upgrade rather than a blow your mind graphical showcase, which I expect everyone knows already. I think it really depends on how developers take advantage of the hardware - really looking forward to seeing what we get further down the line. Would love to see some older games like the Witcher 3 get the pro treatment.

U_Know_Me

I have a Vizio, I initially plugged in the pro and it worked on the HDMI 5 port and said it was 4k. I updated it and then it rebooted and now it won't send a signal to hdmi 5 which is the 60hz. I been messing with it for an hour.

I had the same problem. Put it to 720p from a different input then switch the hdmi to hdmi 5.

Ran Ran

I put a new hard drive in as soon as I got mine and I have the system software on a usb drive (followed all the steps of creating a folder, file name, etc) but my PS4 is telling me that the update file cannot be used. Any ideas on how to fix or what I'm doing wrong?

I did about 500 Gigs in about 2 hours so yes, i'd recommend wired if you can do it.
I guess I can do it that way, but can I stop the transfer process, then pick up from where it was? I have 96Gigs out of 249 done now running wireless; don't want to risk having to start all over just to plug both into my router.

nOoblet16

I'd be interested in knowing how Black Ops 3 campaign fares on pro. The multiplayer was already near perfect 60FPS and almost always 1080P.

But the campaign was almost never 60, but rather 30-50 with lots of resolution drops. I'm pretty sure that with pro it should be a very consistent 1080P/60.

I tried 2-3 campaign levels myself that I remember running bad enough to noticeably feel choppier and they felt smooth.

Memnoch

I have a question for you all: I have a 4k non hdr set and the bells and whistles seem to apply to the 1080p setting for games. Would you set the video output on the pro to 1080p or the 2160p for better graphics?

Tbh... I think 1080p sets might be getting just as much of an advantage as 4K sets, especially if the 1080p set happens to have HDR.

The supersampling is just so good, I genuinely think it looks better than native, at least based on screenshots.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is TloU downsampled in 1080p 60fps mode?

Yes. Game supports native 4K30 with awesome shadows, and 3200x1800 60fps with worse shadows. No matter what mode you choose, if you play with Pro on 1080p screen, game will be downsampled.

Try usual stuff.

Turn of HDCP. Try plugging HDMI cable out and then very firmly putting it back in all the way in.

Does the glitching happens in any other game?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
One simple observation from a 1080p TV owner with Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm probably not the first one to see that.

High framerate >>> Better Graphics any day. I can't see any serious difference graphics wise between the two modes (granted I don't have a huge TV but still). However the difference with the frame rate is night and day.

Is everyone on the same line as me with RoTR ? That's the only game I've tried for now.
The real decision there is between 4K downsampled visuals and high framerate. The Enriched 1080p visuals mode seems to indeed be a misfire with how much aliasing is left in it. Try the 4K mode.

jwk94

Has anyone with a 1080P display noticed that Rise of the Tomb Raider looks different on 4K and the Enriched Visuals modes? Is 4K mode downsampling it to 1080P?

Tbh... I think 1080p sets might be getting just as much of an advantage as 4K sets, especially if the 1080p set happens to have HDR.

The supersampling is just so good, I genuinely think it looks better than native, at least based on screenshots.

I dont think there are any 1080p TVs with HDR.

nOoblet16

I have a question for you all: I have a 4k non hdr set and the bells and whistles seem to apply to the 1080p setting for games. Would you set the video output on the pro to 1080p or the 2160p for better graphics?
2160P.
If you put 1080P then the game will most likely just downsampling from whatever res it's running at and your TV will then upscale it to 4K...causing the end result to be blurrier.

The only times you should have a game running at 1080P is if it offers better graphics/framerate compared to 4K and you prefer that...but as far as I know games that do offer that (Tomb Raider) allow for that option within the menu itself.

Well yeah it's better than native 1080p, it's more than 1080p :D

I'm giving my old PS4 to a friend of mine that doesn't have one, but for some reason, I'm so afraid to wipe everything :(. But I should be fine though...

Ran Ran

I put a new hard drive in as soon as I got mine and I have the system software on a usb drive (followed all the steps of creating a folder, file name, etc) but my PS4 is telling me that the update file cannot be used. Any ideas on how to fix or what I'm doing wrong?

Figured it out.

I had downloaded the system update instead of the full system software.

HeelPower

One simple observation from a 1080p TV owner with Rise of the Tomb Raider. I'm probably not the first one to see that.

High framerate >>> Better Graphics any day. I can't see any serious difference graphics wise between the two modes (granted I don't have a huge TV but still). However the difference with the frame rate is night and day.

Is everyone on the same line as me with RoTR ? That's the only game I've tried for now.

High framerate itself is a huge visual enhancement.

It has a smoothing effect that greatly enhances motion on screen and makes it harder to notice imperfections.

In addition to the fact that ot directly affects the actual gameplay.

Does it change when you exit the menu? It's changing significant render settings when you flip that setting, from 4K/HQ shadows/60fps to 1800p/regular shadows/30fps. Wouldn't be entirely unexpected for stuff to be weird for a moment before settling.
No, remains the same even during gameplay.

Top Bottom