• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Iacobellis

Very little is due to "bad pr". We are almost a year removed from that and buyers are getting progressively more low information.

Here is what is doing it:
1. Great price
2. Great software

Now I know the hardcore cannot understand #2 since there isn't shooter hybrid Wrpg exclusive or Naomi from Shenmue animu doll dress up JRPG but it has battlefield, calladuty, asscrud, madden, FIFA, and more. In other words, it has the software people want. In three months it will have gta and the last of us.

It also has free Netflix access and Hulu and other crap.

There are also network effects. Ps4 has become Xbox 360. Your friends have it. Everything is reviewed on it. Developers show their games on it. That it continues to snowball is no surprise.

PS2 had the similar effect, too. I'm sure the reviews and previews came more from dominance (sales) and third-party marketing deals rather than being a simple platform to develop for. Xbox took the cake for that one.

hayguyz

Banned
On that note, we’ll have some great new details to share with you regarding our upcoming PS4 system software update very soon. Stay tuned!

Please be suspend/resume!

If that happens I will buy a PS4

Expected more? Won't sell as much as PS2/Wii? It's tracking faster than both of those. How fast do you think companies like Foxconn can crank out game systems? 1 million per month manufacturing is pretty damned good.

if i was sony i would want to capitalise on the momentum they have now and ramp up the capacity and marketing blitz. when u have your opponent against the ropes it is best to finish them, they should be going for ms throat in us, the early adopters have a huge impact on what systems their friends/family buy so even if raising the capacity is more expensive than the foxconn produced ps4 they will get money back from ps+ and games.

m@cross

These posts make me laugh. I haven't stopped playing my Ps4 since launch which had never happened before in my long history of owning consoles.

At launch it was Knack, Res0gun, Assassins Creed, Need for Speed. Into December I got Killzone, Lego Marvel, then discovered Warframe. In January it was Rayman Legends, Don't Starve, Tomb Raider. In February I discovered War Thunder UK and my Warframe addiction got stronger. Couldn't stop playing it.

Then came last month with MGSV, Infamous, Dead Nation, Towerfall, Fez etc. With playtime going toward Final Fantasy beta and my War Thunder crack addiction.

This month will be final fantasy 14, trials fusion which sold me on the demo and child of light.

Next month is also huge with Transistors, Bound By Flame, MLB The Show and Watch Dogs all hitting.

I have never been so flooded in quality gaming within the first year if a console ever.

So many good games, was thrilled when I got to play most of these at PAX and came away happy with them. Also looking forward to Secret Poncho now, which I have been told is due out much sooner than expected and free on plus.

My point was many of these games can already be played on other systems. Also not many of them target me personally because I'm mainly a JRPG gamer.

Regardless, I am excited to get my PS4 this Friday and try Infamous SS :) I just hope we see many more game announcements at E3!

You need a PC, a PS3 and an XOne to play the games that aren't PS4 exclusives on that list. Might as well just get a PS4 to play all of those plus the PS4 exclusives.

I did chuckle at the Very Soon comment in OP as I jokingly made the comment in another thread. " well Atleast we are now at pretty soon instead of just soon. Can't wait for the upcoming real soon and then in May the much anticipated Very Soon " lol. Hey we got to very soon faster then I anticipated for the firmware update.

grumble

It is also software that people can spend a lot of time with, making draughts less apparent to people who do not regularly purchase a ton of games every year.

The funny thing is that I think we will see some games in the fall and next spring that review better than infamous and Titanfall but sell fewer copies due to heavy competition. The market was/is wide open between New Year's and early September when Destiny is released. A lot of companies whiffed big time.

100% agree. Companies looked at the install base and figured that the old ones were better. The issue is how many games are already out for the old ones, how many dead, stored or casual game consoles were out there, the total lack of content for the new ones and the fact that the only people to buy the new consoles early are hardcore gamers with discretionary income to blow. Selling through to a quarter of the install base is reasonable! That's insane.

Also, there's an opportunity for companies to start new franchises in the first year or so. New ips two years in have a big uphill struggle. Invest in the user base early and you can get maybe four games out in a series before the next gen.

I get that it's tough to release that soon in but hat a wasted opportunity....

Very impressive. A cool mil in a month. But part of me wonders they released this the day before NPD as a preemptive strike. Not that I think MS outsold by a ton but enough to get some early PR going

It means they're pulling a Microsoft and doing preemptive damage control.

Microsoft deserves March though. They really had a lot of great deals and bundles.

MS deserves march because retailers had to create bundles and price drops to move units? I don't see how MS should get kudos for that.

m@cross

The #thirst is real.
I live in a small somewhat remote, relatively speaking, town in the USA. The type of town with a Walmart that you can actually show up to on Black Friday 10 minutes before the doors open and get deals still. Last week I saw the first PS4s ever there, 3 of them. The next day zero again and zero since. People want them, bad.

How big is it compared to Wii U and PS2?

From a few pages back:

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million
1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 20.13 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million

Into

Here is what is doing it:
1. Great price
2. Great software

Now I know the hardcore cannot understand #2 since there isn't shooter hybrid Wrpg exclusive or Naomi from Shenmue animu doll dress up JRPG but it has battlefield, calladuty, asscrud, madden, FIFA, and more. In other words, it has the software people want. In three months it will have gta and the last of us.

This is what ive been trying to tell people for months pre launch, only to get "but it has no major eXclusives!" and "there is no innovation!".

Sometimes us enthusiasts are so into things that we can lose scope of the whole thing. The reality is that FIFA, a yearly sports game with roster updates and gameplay tweaks will sell more Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, F Zero, Chrono Trigger 3 combined in the real world.

By comparison to every other generation, PS4 (and XB1 since they share so many of the same games) have perhaps the best launch line up for mainstream ever. CoD, FIFA, AC, BF and the rest are bigger series measured by sales and thus appeal than any other console launch in history.

Majmun

i dont understand why the heck is it still hard to get PS4 in Germany.... it has been so long now.

Same situation in Holland. Sony randomly sent a few Infamous bundles to the Dutch stores two weeks ago. All evaporated. I'm glad I could pick one up thanks to help.

Normal SKU isn't being sold since last year...

How big is it compared to Wii U and PS2?

PS2 sold around 10m year 1.

Between march 2000 and March 2001 it was 10m sales. Best I can find.

Wii seems to be around 9m year 1 sales.

Sorry on my phone so not the best way to investigate and compare charts

Way behind the much better tally above lol

BigDug13

if i was sony i would want to capitalise on the momentum they have now and ramp up the capacity and marketing blitz. when u have your opponent against the ropes it is best to finish them, they should be going for ms throat in us, the early adopters have a huge impact on what systems their friends/family buy so even if raising the capacity is more expensive than the foxconn produced ps4 they will get money back from ps+ and games.

They are at capacity. They are supporting more countries at the same time than any console has ever done before.

Elios83

The hyping behind the new firmware is more interesting than the sales milestone :p
Is it safe to expect more than what was originally promised (HDPC off, USB support for captures and video editing)?
Also I really hope that they plan to unveil a huge amount of things at E3 and this transitional phase is over soon.

Lexxism

Woah. Not bad PS4.

PS2 sold around 10m year 1.

Between march 2000 and March 2001 it was 10m sales. Best I can find.

Wii seems to be around 9m year 1 sales.

Sorry on my phone so not the best way to investigate and compare charts

Way behind the much better tally above lol

Nah. Wii sold 20m in its first 13 months. Your data is wrong.

PS4 outpacing Wii.

tumblr_n2hralEqqC1qzn4nho2_500.gif

ethomaz

Banned
After the popular term "system seller" for games that make you buy consoles can we call the PS4 a "game seller" for the ability to make you buy games one after the other?

So what is everyone's guess as to how much it will sell by Dec 2014?
10m as of late July
13m as of late October
18m as of early January

They are at capacity. They are supporting more countries at the same time than any console has ever done before.

but most of those countries hardly ever get shipments, more of a pr statement than anything else. they should focus on us and uk, the 2 markets ms won last gen. europe and japan sony has on lockdown anyway but if they get 60/40 market share in uk and us they would 'win' this gen easily. and because ms relies on paying 3rd party studios for a lot of their exlcusives they would make it really hard for them to compete so ms would drop price, build their own studios etc. win win for consumers

So what is everyone's guess as to how much it will sell by Dec 2014?

If it stays around 1m a month then that would be ......

15m

So yeah, I'll go with 15m. Some months MIgHT be much slower but I expected sales to slow down much more then they have by now. TLOU release may cause a spike. Destiny release. Then Holiday season again. Who knows, maybe 17m especially if Japan is woken by something.

EagleEyes

Congrats to Sony. As an Xbox fan I'm actually very glad that the PS4 has started so great cause that only means that Microsoft can't sit on their butts like they've done for the past few years when they were on top. Competition fuels good things for us the consumer. :)

m@cross

Congrats to Sony. As an Xbox fan I'm actually very glad that the PS4 has started so great cause that only means that Microsoft can't sit on their butts like they've done for the past few years when they were on top. Competition fuels good things for us the consumer. :)

I agree, I kind of hope MS stays close enough to be relevant and close enough to keep Sony punching.

10 million before the fall/holiday season, another 3 million during, maybe 4. 14 million~ by the end of the year.

From Aquamarine's numbers, Sony shipped 5 million PS3s for its second xmas quarter, I think they'll have enough in reserve to at least match that. 18 million by the end of 2014?

Top Bottom