• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

spwolf

If MS go $349, I fully expect Sony to bring down the hammer and go $299. Remember, even without Kinect the PS4's BOM is lower and will likely fall faster than the Xbox Ne's.

uh, no.... they certainly wont be dropping the price anytime soon the way it is selling.

m@cross

If MS go $349, I fully expect Sony to bring down the hammer and go $299. Remember, even without Kinect the PS4's BOM is lower and will likely fall faster than the Xbox Ne's.

Ok Mr. Yoshida at this point in the E3 speech you will either announce the camera is being added in as standard with no price increase or you will announce a $349 price drop; all depends on if MS announces a price drop......

MercuryLS

Banned
Holy shit 7 mil already?

i79q0dXqDXsxk.gif

Into

I don't understand how a console with nothing to play on it is selling so well.

I got you hooked up man:

This is what ive been trying to tell people for months pre launch, only to get "but it has no major eXclusives!" and "there is no innovation!".

Sometimes us enthusiasts are so into things that we can lose scope of the whole thing. The reality is that FIFA, a yearly sports game with roster updates and gameplay tweaks will sell more Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, F Zero, Chrono Trigger 3 combined in the real world.

By comparison to every other generation, PS4 (and XB1 since they share so many of the same games) have perhaps the best launch line up for mainstream ever. CoD, FIFA, AC, BF and the rest are bigger series measured by sales and thus appeal than any other console launch in history.

Only the biggest games in the entire industry.

pooptest

I am sure the xb1 has to be close to 6 mill by now.

Has 4 or even 5m been announced? Not that I have seen, but may have missed something.

Edit: banned, inaccurate Vg shows 4.2m, so if that's any indication of how they're doing, they're behind by about 3m by now.

So what is everyone's guess as to how much it will sell by Dec 2014?

As many as they can ship, but they need to heavily skew shipments towards the west and not let units languish on Japanese shelves. I think they'll be able to easily get to 16 million by the end of the year, just simply taking one million per month. In reality, they'll want to have at least 6 million available for November and December. I really do think 20 million by the end of the year should be the goal, as long as they have the production capacity for it.

SHADES

So what is everyone's guess as to how much it will sell by Dec 2014?

A very respectable 16m by the year out, also no price drop for at least 2 years from launch. Just because MS may or may not price match doesn't mean Sony will or have to respond, they will want to see how their product actually fairs at the same(ish) price point before any price drop comes into play, so with these numbers at least 2 years before we see any price drop what so ever.

As many as they can ship, but they need to heavily skew shipments towards the west and not let units languish on Japanese shelves. I think they'll be able to easily get to 16 million by the end of the year, just simply taking one million per month. In reality, they'll want to have at least 6 million available for November and December. I really do think 20 million by the end of the year should be the goal, as long as they have the production capacity for it.

Not really, you think it will be sold out this whole year?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
From Aquamarine's numbers, Sony shipped 5 million PS3s for its second xmas quarter, I think they'll have enough in reserve to at least match that. 18 million by the end of 2014?

3 - 4 million at Christmas, plus bundles for games like MLBTS, WD, Destiny, TLOU, Driveclub, TO and anything else in between, I'd say it could sell more than 18 million. 20 million isn't out of the question.

erawsd

How did PS1,PS2, and PS3 do in the same timeframe?

Edited: I see PS2 did 10 in year 1.

Ps2 comparisons are tricky since there was 7 month gap between Japan and the rest of the world. The manufacture process was also much slower, I think Sony ony had ~1million for the entire Xmas season.

blakep267

Whatever you're smoking Dude, pass it this way!

We haven't heard 4m sold yet let alone 6m.

first, they're not going to announce numbers because it makes no difference since they are behind Sony. It'd be useless to announce 4 when they announce 7. But if anything, they're close to 4.2-4.5 isn

Freeman

Banned
A very respectable 16m by the year out, also no price drop for at least 2 years from launch. Just because MS may or may not price match doesn't mean Sony will or have to respond, they will want to see how their product actually fairs at the same(ish) price point before any price drop comes into play, so with these numbers at least 2 years before we see any price drop what so ever.
PS2 sold a lot and got a 33%($100) price drop in less than 2 years from release. Getting the price lower is a healthy thing to do even for a platform that is leading, now with PS+ this become even easier. But there won't be a price drop until they start to produce substantially more than they are selling.

Sony is yet to offer a bundle with a free game, so they still have another card to play before dropping price.

N.Domixis

Banned
first, they're not going to announce numbers because it makes no difference since they are behind Sony. It'd be useless to announce 4 when they announce 7. But if anything, they're close to 4.2-4.5 isn

Ms were trying so hard to sound like they were selling equal amounts back \n the first few months and some in the media were saying t was too early. Now ps4 is ahead by 3 million and increasing.

Not really, you think it will be sold out this whole year?

I think the months it doesn't sell out will not matter, as it will (a) be close enough, and (b) higher demand during Q4 (holidays) will more than compensate for potential softer demand during Q2 and Q3.

The question to me is still one of capacity. If they can make them, they will sell them. I don't think 20 million is setting the bar too high, quite frankly, and it's not exactly a record-setting pace.

Majmun

Do we even have any Xbox One HW sales numbers, besided the NA one?

All we know is that the console has sold ~2,2mln units as of february in NA alone.

Top Bottom