• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation and sequel fatigue.

What new IPs are those 15 other studios are working on? We are three years into this gen and Returnal is the only new AAA IP they've released this gen with Wolverine set to become the 2nd one in 2024. 4 years into the gen. What else are they cooking?

I see a lot of people shitting on the OP without really countering any of his points. Listing indie stuff like Kena and Stray as proof that these premiere AAA sony studios are working on new IPs is just silly. We all know hes talking about the big guys who moved on from Uncharted, Resistance, Infamous, to bigger and better things. This forum fucking hates TLOU2. Why are we defending ND making TLOU3? especially after they didnt release a new IP the entire gen last gen?

Aside from SSM, no one seems to be working on new IPs. Bend is supposedly working on GaaS so whatever. Hope its not complete trash like Division and other GaaS games.

ND is working on TLOU3.
GG is working on Horizon 3.
Sucker Punch is working on Ghost of Tsushima 2.
Kojima is working on Death Stranding 2.
Insomniac is working on Spiderman 2.

Thats almost all their AAA studios working on sequels. Who is left? Even counting Bend, we are looking at a total 4 AAA new IPs from 20 Sony studios this gen. Are we ok with this? Do you disagree? What other studios do you think are going to come in and give us new IPs single player games we got last gen from Sony?

And no one gives a shit about Deathloop, Forspoken, Ghostwire Tokyo. Come on man. We are playstation first party fans, we have standards. Get those B and C tier games outta here.
This is more an issue of Dev cycle's being longer. Sony studio's nearly always did at least a trilogy before moving on.

All those games you mention are on either there 2nd or 3rd game. I guess it sucks we have to wait longer but yeah...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony Santa Monica are working on a new IP though led by Cory Barlog.

Cant wait to see this. Would love something Sci Fi from them! Maybe using a lot of the assets from the cancelled game. The artwork looked cool if I am remembering seeing some stuff in the raising kratos docu

Nydius

After thinking on it further, I don’t think Banjo has sequel fatigue so much as it’s genre fatigue.

While there’s no doubt games like Spider-Man, Horizon, and God of War play differently, they’re all large, sprawling, open worlds with a lot of similarities. Icons littering the map, side quests and collections padding out content, et cetera. They drop new IPs in Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima, and they’re the same big open world Ubisoft style maps.

Obviously this isn’t the case with ALL their properties, what with games like Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, and Astrobot out there, but their biggest triple A sellers are beginning to suffer the same bloat (and burnout) that hit Ubisoft games. I can’t fault someone who complains about HFW for having similar issues as, say, Far Cry 6.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
You have to keep in mind that they had a console transition happening, and the best way to allure existing PS4 owners into re-upping with a PS5 is to promise them something they know, especially with Xbox doing Gamepass and minimizing the start-up cost of building a library there and trying out things.

It's a smart move tbh, but now they need to come up with something exciting because it's honestly been getting kind of stale lately. Only Spider Man 2 and FF16 are creating any excitement in me right now.

Sony have been great the last couple gens to hold onto some legacy game series but also introduce new ones to get into a new gen. They just continue this strategy to have system sellers and push fresh new game ips.

Zok310

Banned
Im sure Jim is aware, pretty certain he wont stick his head in the sand, seems like the kind of ceo that take shit head on.

There's no arguing with that, but Playstation sequels are at least doing better than Microsoft's.

God of War was rebooted, like Nintendo does sometimes, which gave it a bit of a new lease, I agree with all the rest. Horizon in particular was never good, I'm underwhelmed they'll keep at it.

One big issue with Sony, IMO, is "stability", most of these franchises are stale not only because they're new entries but also because it's the same damn people at the helm. I honestly have little interest in a new uncharted under the woke dude, a new God of War under the God of War 2017 guy is also not something that hypes me a whole lot. Gran Turismo under the Gran Turismo guy? FML. The bigger issue for me is the people not the franchises. The Last of Us seems like it shouldn't go past the second entry regardless of how good it was. But if it has to be, please give me a new director at the very least. Some different way to look at things, it's not an authors piece for me.

Also, a Killzone title chasing after Killzone 2 heights would be so much better for a console about to lose call of duty. (insert laughtrack)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After thinking on it further, I don’t think Banjo has sequel fatigue so much as it’s genre fatigue.

While there’s no doubt games like Spider-Man, Horizon, and God of War play differently, they’re all large, sprawling, open worlds with a lot of similarities. Icons littering the map, side quests and collections padding out content, et cetera. They drop new IPs in Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima, and they’re the same big open world Ubisoft style maps.

Obviously this isn’t the case with ALL their properties, what with games like Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, and Astrobot out there, but their biggest triple A sellers are beginning to suffer the same bloat (and burnout) that hit Ubisoft games. I can’t fault someone who complains about HFW for having similar issues as, say, Far Cry 6.
This is where the whole cross gen is dated argument comes in. Games need to embrace dynamic gameplay, AI simulations that allow for organic mission structures and gameplay based around physics and intearctivity instead of handcrafted missions we've seen in video games since AC2 in 2009.

Devs have to use the new CPU power to completely redesign their games because what was fun in Far Cry 3 in 2011 is simply boring in 2023.

I thought the crater level in GOW Ragnorak was very well designed. You simply stumbled upon side quests as you explored that level organically. But it still felt curated and you cant do that in open world games. Spiderman 2 needs to have its own AI system that governs crime instead of having devs hand place outposts, and robberies in certain areas. The open world genre feels way too scripted at the moment which is exactly the opposite of the sandbox gameplay we were promised almost 2 decades ago.

As long as they keep giving money to Housemarque and Kojima Productions, I don't give a shit what they do

Tom Cruise Deal With It GIF by reactionseditor

RevGaming

We should get ghost 2 and spidey 2 and every studio should change IPs, then make their third entry (tlou3, ghost 3, horizon3, gow3 and spidey 3). I think all of those should be saved for ps6.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
No fatigue in my opinion. The games sell, people are enjoying them, the developers love making them and I personally am having a blast playing them. So sequels are fine by me. If I am burnt out on an IP, I will just stop playing (as will the consumer), and they will generate a new game.

This is true for the most part but a massive difference is that a game like Far Cry 6 has so many unnecessary mechanics that absolutely bog down gameplay.

For example, Horizon, Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima all have the ability to purchase new weapons at each settlement that you visit.

In Far Cry 6, firstly you have to gather enough scrap from looting to build a weapons shop, but once you build it it's locked to the settlement that you decided to place it at, meaning that if you're in any other part of the map and want to buy a new weapon, you have to open the menu, select the settlement where you built the weapons shop, fast travel there, physically run up to the shop and buy the weapon you want. Way too many unnecessary steps.

I’m with you.
Housemarque never made a sequel, but I bet now that they are a Sony studio we will see Returnal 2.

It’s all so short term thinking. Let’s milk this while we can,
I’ll stop you right there and just say they are working on a new IP lmao. It’s already been confirmed.
Most PlayStation studios are working on new ips as stated before.

Reading his topic it’s like Sonys studios are stuck with the same ips for decades, releasing almost yearly entries like assassin’s creed or something.

Most studios that aren’t working on new ips are working on 2nd or 3rd entries from established ips. Where’s the sequel fatigue in that?

ProtoByte

I’ll stop you right there and just say they are working on a new IP lmao. It’s already been confirmed.
Most PlayStation studios are working on new ips as stated before.

Reading his topic it’s like Sonys studios are stuck with the same ips for decades, releasing almost yearly entries like assassin’s creed or something.

Most studios that aren’t working on new ips are working on 2nd or 3rd entries from established ips. Where’s the sequel fatigue in that?
It's vibes and thinly veiled console war crap. It's not based on anything even marginally objective.

Half the time when someone complains about another Horizon, they call for another Killzone. Fucking Killzone. I've seen people groan at the idea of another Spider-Man game, but who also want Sucker Punch to go back to inFamous instead of trying to improve Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:

begotten

Returnal 2? Nah.

I loved it but if you actually have played it the game has an ambiguous ending.

HMQ is all about new ideas, and I'm sure being bought out by Sony after Returnal means a new IP is almost definitely happening with a bigger budget and team.

Nydius

In Far Cry 6, firstly you have to gather enough scrap from looting to build a weapons shop, but once you build it it's locked to the settlement that you decided to place it at, meaning that if you're in any other part of the map and want to buy a new weapon, you have to open the menu, select the settlement where you built the weapons shop, fast travel there, physically run up to the shop and buy the weapon you want. Way too many unnecessary steps.
This is a fair point but note that I said similar, not identical. It was merely an example of open world bloat.

Besides, HFW isn't immune from backtracking issues, especially if you want to upgrade your pouches and quivers. Armor and weapons are spread out on vendors all across the world. Food buffs are different between tribes -- even different within the same tribe, as the Tenatkh have different cooks for each clan -- so if you want a particular buff, you have to fast travel back to buy that specific one. IIRC, if you want the best melee buff food, you have to go all the way back to Chainscrape.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I’m with you.
Housemarque never made a sequel, but I bet now that they are a Sony studio we will see Returnal 2.

It’s all so short term thinking. Let’s milk this while we can, but when that udder runs dry they’ll have to suddenly find a new cash cow.
I think what they did in PS4 era was very healthy: let the studio’s create where their heart is at.
It gave them new IP’s while also building on existing ones.

They are risking boring their playerbase and their employees like this.

I think we'll only see a sequel if thats what this team actually wants, Sony as a publisher is known for giving lots of freedom, so I think its more likely we see another new IP from them.

phant0m

Hell, I think Nintendo doing a straight sequel for Zelda is going to blow up in their face despite how beloved BOTW was.

Blow up into a huge pile of money, sure.

But I get what you’re saying, though Big N seems pretty content to rest on its laurels and ports these days. The last time we got a new, whole-ass, numbered Mario Kart game was fucking 2014. 2014!

Last new 3D Mario? 2017
Donkey Kong (TF)? 2014

This is a fair point but note that I said similar, not identical. It was merely an example of open world bloat.

Besides, HFW isn't immune from backtracking issues, especially if you want to upgrade your pouches and quivers. Armor and weapons are spread out on vendors all across the world. Food buffs are different between tribes -- even different within the same tribe, as the Tenatkh have different cooks for each clan -- so if you want a particular buff, you have to fast travel back to buy that specific one. IIRC, if you want the best melee buff food, you have to go all the way back to Chainscrape.
True, and that's interesting too. I didn't know that about the food. I figured that it just booted stamina or something. Like all the food did the same thing for you. I'll have to check out that feature now. I mainly just use the plants to heal and health potions if I run out.

R3EUIL

Neo Member
And yet so many of their main games, despite being "year's apart" play so simlarly that it gives the average gamer fatique. Cinematic-focused, heavy narratives with third person gameplay, RPG lite elements, numerous shallow systems, and bloated collectibles in a semi-open to open world that copy/paste the same few tired puzzles repeatedly.

Bloodborne and Death Stranding are two of the few unique titles they were able to release. Dreams is a game design suite and hardly a game.
"Light RPG elements" vary from game to game and is a loose term, and can also be found in almost every game. As for "shallow systems", ironically, that is a superficial statement. "bloated collectibles" Well, I've never seen anyone complain about collectibles in these games, but even if they did, they're not as tiresome as TLoZ:BoTH's Korok seeds, or forced to progression. "a semi-open to open world that copy/pastes the same tired puzzles over and over again" I bet you had God of War in your head when you typed that because that's not often and it doesn't happen in some of these games either (The Last of Us II for you), and as for the GoW puzzles, they're not as boring or repetitive as you'd think, here's an example of the complexity of some (this is just a tutorial for finding and opening chests, but serves as a demo ) https://www.polygon.com/god-of-war-...le-solutions-svartalfheim-alfheim-health-rage

You forgot Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Destruction AllStars, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank, Astro's Playroom, Demons`s Souls, Predator: Hunting Grounds, Gran Turismo and MLB The Show. And detail that they were all released in this decade, same thing with the second game of the Horizon, TLoU and GoW duologies.

Famipan

Looking forward to Days Gone growing to become even more of a sleeper hit so that Sony eventually green lights DG2 and 3 which John Garvin, who was in yesterday’s episode 51 of The Days Gone Podcast, mentioned was his vision from the start.

Days Gone 2 in UE5 would be so great!
And I don’t mind if it takes time.

Thing is, people without any experience compare Days Gone to ubisoft’s open world clutter and it’s far from that IMO. I have tried FarCry 5 and except that game sucks on many parts except music, the clutter from all the sidequests is unbearable. And there’s no main character you get feeling for. Many other Ubisoft games have similar clutter.
Also clutter in: The Wither 3, RDR2 (which I try to play now but honestly, who thinks the gameplay of RDR2 is genuinely fun?)

You can also play Days Gone on Survival (which you should since it’s still just Hard I or II difficulty) and temporary get rid of HUD detsils. The map shows some type of collectibles but it’s not necessary. Maybe I’m just used to the game after finishing it for the 3rd time and taking platinum.

Neither Horizon, God of War or TLOU series has really felt as fun to play as Days Gone. The arcade mode Challenges is one of the best extra modes I have ever played!

Play it on a PS5 in 60fps on a large 4K OLED screen in HDR or on PC (a bit too easy there though with all the free unlocked skills, and also no HDR I guess, but… mod support!)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
"Light RPG elements" vary from game to game and is a loose term
Not really. It means exactly what it means. "levels", "stats", but lack of any actual character growth. God of War, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, even Ratchet and CLank all has these RPG-lite systems.

, and can also be found in almost every game.
Except the vast majority of platformers, racing games, RTS games, 4X games, FPS and TPS shooters, etc.

As for "shallow systems", ironically, that is a superficial statement.
Not really. Again, it means exactly what it means. Shallow, lacking depth - systems there to fill a checkmark and trick ignorant consumers that it is actually more things than what it is. Not a hard thing to comprehend.

"bloated collectibles" Well, I've never seen anyone complain about collectibles in these games, but even if they did, they're not as tiresome as TLoZ:BoTH's Korok seeds, or forced to progression.
"If I never saw it, it doesn't happen!" is as empty a statement as it comes. Given the high chance that you are just someone's alt (which is only bolstered by how the few posts you have immediately jump into console warrior territory), I find this hilariously idiotic as it is commonly discussed on GAF and many other video game subreddits, discords, and more.

As for Korok seeds - you mean the things that stop rewarding you after you reach 1/3'd of them? The thing the developers did not intend people to grind out all of and openly mocked them if they did? Meanwhile games like GoW, Horizon, and more actively encourage you to do every monotonous task? That is comparing apples to oranges, mate.

"a semi-open to open world that copy/pastes the same tired puzzles over and over again" I bet you had God of War in your head when you typed that because that's not often and it doesn't happen in some of these games either (The Last of Us II for you), and as for the GoW puzzles, they're not as boring or repetitive as you'd think, here's an example of the complexity of some (this is just a tutorial for finding and opening chests, but serves as a demo ) https://www.polygon.com/god-of-war-...le-solutions-svartalfheim-alfheim-health-rage

God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, want me to continue? And yes, the "complexity" is nonexistant and as mindless as they come. If, for some reason, you are unable to figure it out in 2 seconds like the average person can - the game will outright tell you the solution. Shit design.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Yes yes yes. The sales are great. The figures don’t lie. Whatever. I’m not asking if Sony should be making endless sequels. I’m asking if you wish they’d stop.

The reason for the post is that GG have today confirmed that Horizon 3 is their next project.

Santa Monica are dedicated to GoW. Polyphony are dedicated to GT. Naughty Dog can’t seem to let go of The Last of Us. We know that an Uncharted game is in development based on the sizzle reel featuring Cassie. Insomniac will always have a Ratchet and Clank in the pipeline, and I don’t think anyone would be surprised if Spider-Man 3 follows 2.

A lot of these franchises don’t have the same ever green appeal that something like Mario or Zelda has. In my opinion it would be a hell of a lot more exciting if GG, ND and Santa Monica were looking at fresh new ideas and franchises.

You can post your lol emojis now.

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

A couple of points.

1. Horizon is NOT confirmed as GG's NEXT project. Sure, they’ve kinda confirmed that they are working on Horizon 3, but this should come as no surprise to anyone as Zero Dawn and Forbidden West have been super successful and the story is clearly not finished. GG though is now a multi-project studio and their next game should be something else than Horizon …. I'm assuming Killzone but that’s not confirmed either.

2. 3 or 4 games in a series is not ENDLESS sequels. Sony continues to do what they’ve always done, introduce a wide variety of games, big, small, all genres, some sequels some new. Successful games do and should get sequels, but there’s few examples of franchises being flogged to death on PlayStation - MLB as an annual sports franchise seems reasonable, and the next most frequent one is probably Gran Turismo with 7 or 8 instalments in 25 years.

Hydroxy

We can't say whether sequels are good or a bad thing by itself. Its good or bad based on whether people want it. Do people want more Spiderman? Yes. Do people want more Last of Us? Yes. Do people want more God of War? Yes. Do people want more Horizon? Hmm not sure about that one. But when it comes to sequels by Sony people do actually want it for most franchises. So until that changes, its all good.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sure, if you ignore reality...
don't know why i'm bothering with a well known warrior

Tell me about “reality”. You must not have been gaming until PS4.

I was fortunate enough to be around during the days of risks, and a steady flow of new franchises in a larger variety of genres.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The IP not only crossed into mainstream media but became part of popular culture. Something we've always hoped for but have never seen as gamers. It broke nearly every record at HBO in terms of viewership and audience building. And has already had a new season ordered with rumoured spinoffs for Ashley Johnson. But according to OP, ND should just let go of the ip.

giphy.gif
The show was shit, sorry, and the 2nd game was an anita sarkeesian talking point session, excellent

Please, tell me more about how good it all is. I personally cant wait for more.

Oh, and
uFEO9iY.jpg

How wonderful. The whole thing is hijacked by these current day narcissists who project their own bullshit into plots.

No thanks. The 1st game, brilliant. The rest? A projection vehicle.

Toots

Gold Member
My panties are all wet and i'm not even a girl :messenger_smiling_hearts:

On topic, yes i'm tired of endless sequels bringing almost nothing new to the table, but it is like with movies, they are only the big mainstream juggernauts and you can find lot of great creative stuff if you look elsewhere, notably with the indie scene. I guess that means less production value but it is still enjoyable.

nial

Gold Member
Tell me about “reality”. You must not have been gaming until PS4.

I was fortunate enough to be around during the days of risks, and a steady flow of new franchises in a larger variety of genres.
Info easily available on the internet proves you wrong, though?

Top Bottom