• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation.Blog: "Gamescom 2013 is Coming!"

Sumo_Dump

Neo Member
If you think about it ND "new ip" every gen wasn't something that remarkable, Sony didnt own the Crash IP so they made Jak, which wasn't that successful so Sony could let them move on.

But now, Uncharted and The Last of US are some of the most well recognized and successful games on their platform, they aren't going anywhere - more Uncharted is pretty much guarenteed imo.

I think I recall ND stating that they design based off what they could do with the hardware. So Crash was cartoony and simplistic due to PS1 power. Jak, which was still cartoony but much had a much bigger scope due to the PS2 power. Then UC moved to a realistic style on PS3. I'd like to see the PS4 IP be be something new with a huge scope. Can you imagine how amazing a ND open world RPG would be?

I'm sure that not owning the IP didn't help things though.

Also, Jak had 6 titles, including spin-offs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jak_and_Daxter. It can't have been that unsuccessful...

cormack12

Gold Member
I've been reading this with interest and noticed some guy talking about some partnership with Microsoft and possibly EA. I've been doing my fantasy football with the Barclays Premier League and noticed it is now heavily linked into EA this year.

Based on what I saw about the integration of Xbox One and NFL fantasy leagues, it got me thinking if this was the trump card. Exclusive tie in with fantasy football on the Xbox One. Not beyond the realms of possibility I guess.

This is just a guess/speculation, based on the fact a few gaf sources have confirmed blacked out banners and 'big reveal' material relating to MS and EA at GC.

1gmal6I.png

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think ND will surprise (probably at the VGAs) with another new IP.

I think Uncharted is either retired or, if it is happening, will be very different beast than what we saw on PS3.

I think Uncharted is either retired or, if it is happening, will be very different beast than what we saw on PS3.

I would shit my pants. Nothing against Nathan Drake but I just feel that Amy Henning could do so much more. She is an awesome writer and should really put her skills to use.

I think I recall ND stating that they design based off what they could do with the hardware. So Crash was cartoony and simplistic due to PS1 power. Jak, which was still cartoony but much had a much bigger scope due to the PS2 power. Then UC moved to a realistic style on PS3. I'd like to see the PS4 IP be be something new with a huge scope. Can you imagine how amazing a ND open world RPG would be?

I'm sure that not owning the IP didn't help things though.

Also, Jak had 6 titles, including spin-offs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jak_and_Daxter. It can't have been that unsuccessful...

There seems to be quite a bit of internet demand from Sony fans for a first party open world RPG as of late.

Lift up flap and there'll be some screws, unscrew them it will unhook part of the base (or right hand side when horizontal)
http://i.imgur.com/e9vLRpbl.jpg[IMG]

But that's just my guess.[/QUOTE]

What flap?

I had hoped they would just make it as easy as the dock on the PS3 slim, but I can't for the life of me see where the dock is on the PS4 design.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Lift up flap and there'll be some screws, unscrew them it will unhook part of the base (or right hand side when horizontal)
e9vLRpbl.jpg

But that's just my guess.

I think that "flap" isn't a flap, but simply the location of the mandatory strip of FCC data and serial number, etcetera.

I believe the HDD bay to be on the bottom side of this image, underneath the optional stand.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is both ends of the PS4:

I'm not sure it's here either. Puzzling...

Damn, Sony. Where'd you hide this thing?

Then again, I just found out about the secret hidden vents around the perimeter of the entire console though. It looks like the trench on the fucking Death Star.

Velcro Fly

this is so close, i'm excited to see another sony conference ^_^

Same here.

But at the same time I'm sure it will ever live up to this year's E3.

It was a surreal feeling sitting at Disney World after a long day of being in the parks, seeing a Kingdom Hearts 3 reveal. And then having Jack come out to finish off the conference and pretty much wreck everything Microsoft was trying to do. I was hyped for hours. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. All I wanted was a PS4. I was totally exhausted going to Magic Kingdom the next day.

They should do 1 more Uncharted before retiring the franchise. Uncharted is now a system seller, a lot of UC fans would buy a PS4 early on just for that game. Holiday 2014 would be perfect timing for its release.

Wrynnax

Unannounced games? So mortimer was wrong?! My belief is shaking...ah hell, who am i kidding:all hail mortimer and verendus:)
Been a long time since we got info from thuway though...

Xater

Haven't Syphon filter rumors been going for a long time? I would love if we get a reboot on PS4.

Also I am going to be at the conference. Yay!

Drek

One of their projects was revealed today: PlayStation Vita Pets.

XDev basically sets up 2nd party partnerships though, so there is no real way to tell just how many games they could have going on at once. They opened up on the PS3 with Heavenly Sword and LittleBigPlanet, so it's not like Sony restricts them to smaller titles only.

Come on I want to see Naughty Dog's sci-fi original IP come true!

That or it would be quite nice to see a new franchise from SSM. B-)
SSM is clearly working on a new IP.

I really hope they aren't wasting 2-3 more years of their life on a god of war game.
The fact that Stig Asmussen has been heading up a new IP since finishing God of War III is the worst kept secret of all SCE studio projects. Their next game will almost certainly not be God of War related.

Yes, ND will show whatever they have coming next at the VGAs. The Last of Us will have a huge presence and that is where they've announced TLOU and if I recall the last couple Uncharted titles.

Also, I don't think Uncharted will be retired, but I'd bet they hand it off to a different studio. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bend make Uncharted 4.

KAL2006

Banned
Why do people keep saying Bend, unless you think Uncharted 4 is a Vita game then Bend are not making it, Bend are working on a Vita game currently.

Drek

Why do people keep saying Bend, unless you think Uncharted 4 is a Vita game then Bend are not making it, Bend are working on a Vita game currently.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is a Vita game. I've long argued that if Sony wants to simultaneously support a console and a handheld they should "retire" their major console IPs to the handheld when the original team wants to move on.

To that end I think Ratchet and Clank, Sly, and Jak should all be Vita IPs now. So should Uncharted and Demon's Souls (since putting it on a console steps on the toes of Namco Bandai who're still a meaningful partner in the industry).

Hell, I'd argue that is what they should do with God of War. Make it a Vita IP where you explore the alternative mythologies people always want to see, or do a Dynasty Warriors style prequel with Kratos a a field general.

Then if they hit on any incredibly successful iterations in these older franchises they can bring them back in the form of the HD collections that moved from PS2 > PS3. Slap a pretty coat of paint on them, locked 1080p/60fps, and sell them in collections once you have 2 or 3 of each IP on a system.

KAL2006

Banned
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is a Vita game. I've long argued that if Sony wants to simultaneously support a console and a handheld they should "retire" their major console IPs to the handheld when the original team wants to move on.

To that end I think Ratchet and Clank, Sly, and Jak should all be Vita IPs now. So should Uncharted and Demon's Souls (since putting it on a console steps on the toes of Namco Bandai who're still a meaningful partner in the industry).

Hell, I'd argue that is what they should do with God of War. Make it a Vita IP where you explore the alternative mythologies people always want to see, or do a Dynasty Warriors style prequel with Kratos a a field general.

Then if they hit on any incredibly successful iterations in these older franchises they can bring them back in the form of the HD collections that moved from PS2 > PS3. Slap a pretty coat of paint on them, locked 1080p/60fps, and sell them in collections once you have 2 or 3 of each IP on a system.

I think your a fool to think a big IP like Uncharted will be relegated to Vita only, no doubt we will see another Uncharted spin off on Vita, but Uncharted 4 on PS4 is a lock.

JP

With the release dates being announced at GamesCom and the importance of Europe to Sony do people think that it means that Europe is going to be the launch region? Or at least that some of Europe will be in the initial launch zone?

Sioen

With the release dates being announced at GamesCom and the importance of Europe to Sony do people think that it means that Europe is going to be the launch region? Or at least that some of Europe will be in the initial launch zone?
Ofcourse.

if someone can link me to a mass amount of official shots of the PS4 i can show you where the HDD likely goes. (or at least the mechanism to open the hidden slot)

it's in the bottom end but it's beyond my ability to describe with words.

EDIT 2: the entire edge here that i'm talking about isn't completely visible, and i can't find any shots that show it. (must have been press photos from an event) but i believe there are clip slots along this edge for the stand to clip onto, but also some mechanism that opens up this end for HDD insertion. I don't think it's on the other end because the BD drive is on that end.

TuL69ej.jpg

Top Bottom