• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

Anyone think PS Now will replace actual console hardware? I can see this tech becoming better and better and taking the place of a PS5. I mean since all you need is a controller and you can play from your Sony TV.

Anyone think PS Now will replace actual console hardware? I can see this tech becoming better and better and taking the place of a PS5. I mean since all you need is a controller and you can play from your Sony TV.

I hope not. The only reason I'm (almost) all digital on PC is because Steam prices are so cheap. Unless console game prices drop similarly, I'm not willing to give up my physical media.

Skeff

I imagine it will be going alongside the PS5, perhaps replace the PS6. It's going to be a long haul before the whole world has internet infrastructure ready for this.

much of the media and even forum posts crack me up about this. People are touting this as an incredible thing without even seeing it in action hands on. I hope its flawless but I have tried Gaikai and Onlive and they were complete garbage.

It is amazing how so many people just eat up the PR crap companies serve.

For the last couple months people have no stop complained about BF4 servers, said titanfall will fail because online only and relying on servers and then showing what happened with GTA online, Simcity, diablo 3 etc. And of course the 10 sec check in every 24 hours on xbox online

So now comes a new service no one has used hands on thats quality is fully tied into servers and internet connection and its the new Jesus of gaming.

do people not even understand the word hypocrite?

Why do you sound so bitter and salty ? Let people be excited

Thrakier

Point is, I don't think you're going to be able to truly divorce a back catalog service like this from online in any meaningful way over the long haul. As the back catalog grows, across more and more disparate pieces of hardware, and perhaps even comes to include software emulated from former competitor platforms over time, the framework for all of this is going to be heavily dependent on online access. There's no real way around that.

This is way easier than doing what, exactly? Last I checked Sony's initial outlay alone for the Gaikai purchase wasn't "cheap stuff" by any means. I doubt that corresponds to their investments since then either.

Well, cheap in the sense of easy to understand, easy and cheap to sell to people. The technology behind it might or might not be ambitious, the end result on my screen, however, is lacking. Only people who do not care about quality all that much will be satisfied with the experience they will be offering. I also think that it was quite costly to acquire Gaikai and develop that framework, this is money which did not go into the progress of videogames.

I wonder if the library that I can access includes Japanese titles or would I need to make a JPN account to access them? I would love to play Tobal No. 2. Well I can now, but on my ps4

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Well, cheap in the sense of easy to understand, easy and cheap to sell to people.
Based on the companies that have already tried and failed to sell this concept, I wouldn't be so quick to claim that.

The technology behind it might or might not be ambitious, the end result on my screen, however, is lacking. Only people who do not care about quality all that much will be satisfied with the experience they will be offering. I also think that it was quite costly to acquire Gaikai and develop that framework, this is money which did not go into the progress of videogames.
All presumed of course on the basis that the technology remains static and never improves over time...The "end result" we'll see this year is just the beginning. The quality achievable is likely not far removed from what the tech currently allows, so by the standards of what can actually be achieved given the methods employed, the quality is likely to be rather high. This isn't a matter of not caring about quality but rather about your inability to appreciate there are different standards for different methodologies. Native hardware gaming certainly has one set of fairly well established quality standards by now, Streaming gaming will have to established its own set of standards over time.

Quality also comes in many different forms. The quality of being able to play a game at all might perhaps trump the quality of representing every pixel exactly as it was originally crafted, for example. As back catalogs stretch into decades of content, it shouldn't surprise you that many will simply not have had a chance to experience some of these games any other way.

Conversely, caring about quality as much as you claim you should perhaps see some value here. After all, if a game isn't even going to offer steady 1080p/60fps when run natively anyway, it's not worth paying full retail price for that oh so tragically flawed experience. So you might as well save your money, stream the game for (likely) much less and pocket the difference to put towards only outright buying those releases that meet your vaunted standards. :)

I wonder how a tablet would play PlayStation 3 games. I suppose they would use an on screen controller, similar to how Splashtop gaming works?

Well, I bought an expensive router for this sort of thing. So I should be ready.
I had bought a capture card to PlayStation 3 games on my PC. But this should make that not neccessary.

I would like to try playing Tales of Zestiria on my tablet. Or my laptop.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm not a fan of this streaming shit, I am guessing tis kills the chance of The Last of Us 1080p Edtion. I guess it's safe for me to buy the PS3 game now.

Dragon

Banned
I wonder how a tablet would play PlayStation 3 games. I suppose they would use an on screen controller, similar to how Splashtop gaming works?

Well, I bought an expensive router for this sort of thing. So I should be ready.
I had bought a capture card to PlayStation 3 games on my PC. But this should make that not neccessary.

I would like to try playing Tales of Zestiria on my tablet. Or my laptop.

Hopefully with Bluetooth, Sony would make it possible to pair the DS3 with iOS and Android tablets and then you wouldn't have to worry about that shizzle.

d0t1q

Neo Member
So if they can stream it to a tablet, whats stopping them from streaming to a pc? Whats stopping them from streaming the PS1/2/3 games to the PC?

I'm not a fan of this streaming shit, I am guessing tis kills the chance of The Last of Us 1080p Edtion. I guess it's safe for me to buy the PS3 game now.

Well I wouldn't rule it out

Cloud Gaming is a tricky premise because immediately you are selling a product that cannot guarantee performance... Mostly because so much is out of their hands.

I would hate to see them bank too heavily on tech where they cannot secure maximum product quality themselves. It does seem they invested heavily enough where things are working on their end (not under load mind you).

Can't see this exploding unless they come up with some great ways to get people to buy in. I would say the price needs to be comparable to a Netflix subscription.... Which is scary since they have to invest large amounts to get this up and running smoothly. Even then handling the workload of thousands of players seems like a tall order

And thats on TOP of the latency issues of individual customers, Data use, Data caps, etc.....

This service is extremely risky..

Point is, I don't think you're going to be able to truly divorce a back catalog service like this from online in any meaningful way over the long haul. As the back catalog grows, across more and more disparate pieces of hardware, and perhaps even comes to include software emulated from former competitor platforms over time, the framework for all of this is going to be heavily dependent on online access. There's no real way around that.

This is way easier than doing what, exactly? Last I checked Sony's initial outlay alone for the Gaikai purchase wasn't "cheap stuff" by any means. I doubt that corresponds to their investments since then either.

I want to note that I'm not suggesting that Sony attempt to continue to support all past platforms from now into the future. But they were able to emulate PS1 pretty successfully on 3 platforms so far and I would hope that they would at least try to continue that support. Having this replace emulators on the hardware/OS would be pretty unfortunate.

Moreover, this service isn't really going to be universally feasible, not only because of internet speeds, but bandwidth caps. The fight to keep live TV a major force will inhibit this type of effort for now.

Kssio_Aug

Im just wondering about the latency and region lock. Im Brazilian and would like to sign in Playstation Now USA, but im not sure if it would play softly even with a 30mbps connection because of the distance. And of course, if it does have a region lock, I will be very disappointed. =(

vivftp

I wonder if after this launches Sony will launch a new Xperia Play type smartphone that supports PS Now. With this service and a good amont of games from various PS platforms maybe a PS Phone would actually stand a chance. Then again I suppose the people that really care about PS gaming on the go would probably rather just go with the Vita.

I've been wanting them to release a proper Playstation phone for the longest time and I firmly believe in my heart, soul and bum that we will see that this year. I always thought such a device would be built to play the same games the Vita could play and no more, so its potential seemed more limited. With PS Now however, that future has a LOT of potential.

Kaz is a smart fella and with the whole move to bring together the various divisions of Sony, a Playstation phone makes perfect sense considering it incorporates 2 of the 3 key pillars of the company. I don't care what anyone says, I'm getting my hopes up for a surprise at E3 :)

BTW, I just realized something. I believe Sonys Bravia TVs have had Bluetooth tech since at least last years models. I'm not sure about the ones before. I wonder if that means they'll be able to pair to a Dual Shock via a future firmware update to allow access to this service. Also wonder if they'll put it into Bluray players. It only makes sense IMO

You have no idea what you're talking about

and you do?

please enlighten us with your knowledge, then. /s

sony qa'd those they put up on the network, plus they licensed those titles from publishers as well. how many ps2 games are in existence? 2000+. how many are on psn?

sony qas everything they put out. they don't just take an iso image and run it on a software emu.

Kssio_Aug

It wouldnt be a very satisfying experience to play it with 150ms medium, would it be?
Because I made some tests in speed test, and I got from 145ms to 190ms. =/

It wouldnt be a very satisfying experience to play it with 150ms medium, would it be?
Because I made some tests in speed test, tried on 3 server and I got from 145ms to 190ms. =/

Well based on my general mutli-player experience over the last 10 years, anything less than 50ms is good and over 100ms is almost unplayable.

much of the media and even forum posts crack me up about this. People are touting this as an incredible thing without even seeing it in action hands on. I hope its flawless but I have tried Gaikai and Onlive and they were complete garbage.

It is amazing how so many people just eat up the PR crap companies serve.

For the last couple months people have no stop complained about BF4 servers, said titanfall will fail because online only and relying on servers and then showing what happened with GTA online, Simcity, diablo 3 etc. And of course the 10 sec check in every 24 hours on xbox online

So now comes a new service no one has used hands on thats quality is fully tied into servers and internet connection and its the new Jesus of gaming.

do people not even understand the word hypocrite?

First of Onlive is perfectly playable. I wouldn't purchase full titles on the service, but I got darksiders and Saints row 3 and completed both via the service.

Second, this is an optional service. Nobody is going to destroy your PS3,2 or your PS4. GTA online, Simcity and Diablo 3 are the ONLY way to play those games.

Thirdly, no one is making this out to be the second coming. It is however extremely a good idea for the Sony brand, which can only fuel more innovations further down the line. You sound like one of the morons that shit on PS+, calling it a "rental" service. You are missing the point entirely.

Yeah, I expected that. Sad! Maybe this service will not be really available for me.

The problem is even if you have a really fast internet connection, you still are not guaranteed a good ping.

I remember when I used to have a 20MB connection my ping was < 25ms, I'm now on a 60MB connection (different provider) and my ping is < 50ms.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just reading a few articles and they suggest that one PS3 (hardware) might be required per stream, which would be very costly.

No, it would not be costly. Building a new PC based service that is emulating everything would be much more costly.

Barebones PS3 Super Slim [no case, hdd, BD drive, all mobos networked to the bigass central storage that holds all game ISOs] is cheap and very power efficient, much more power efficient than PC ahitecture that is needed to emulate PS3. If they could rack ~40-60 motherboards into one server rack, they could very easily create entire PS Now service that uses PS3s to emulate PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Heck, they can create custom motherboards that hold multiple Cells and RSXs.

No, it would not be costly. Building a new PC based service that is emulating everything would be much more costly.

Barebones PS3 Super Slim [no case, hdd, BD drive, all mobos networked to the bigass central storage that holds all game ISOs] is cheap and very power efficient, much more power efficient than PC ahitecture that is needed to emulate PS3. If they could rack ~40-60 motherboards into one server rack, they could very easily create entire PS Now service that uses PS3s to emulate PS1, PS2 and PS3 games.

Heck, they can create custom motherboards that hold multiple Cells and RSXs.

The problem is they have to cater for demand, and unlike Azure this method wouldn't be scalable. They potentially would have to server millions of users of the service with equivalent hardware.

Skeff

The problem is they have to cater for demand, and unlike Azure this method wouldn't be scalable. They potentially would have to server millions of users of the service with equivalent hardware.

It's quite a conundrum, Unit per unit, native Hardware is by far the cheaper option but if they could implement this using emulation on x86 hardware they would be able to scale it a lot easier.

Although, they can run dedicated servers on PS3 units (I can't remember which game had a room full of PS3's for servers) So it is possible they could use racks of PS3's for PSNow and when not in heavy use, they could spin down some of their x86 servers being used for dedi's and shift them onto the unused PS3 hardware, though this would mean creating 2 versions of code for Game servers, which would leave it only for 1st party games.

I'd certainly be interested in what decision Sony make on this one.

Is there really much interest from people to play these old games to make this viable?

I mean most of the PS1 games have aged badly, same goes for PS2 games. PS3 games are more relevant but most people will have already played them etc.

Personally I would struggle to list half a dozen games that I might revisit and even then I wouldn't want to pay much for the privilege.

I can see this type of service being good for new games if you have good enough internet. Playing PS4 games with only a TV and internet connection for example, however just to play an arguably weak back catalogue I don't really see the point in it.

I feel bad for those that rent/stream syphon filter on this , games were cool when I played them at a kiosk in 98/99 but when I got them on PS+ a few years back, garbage.

twisted metal 2 will hopefully be put on there day one, that game is still amazing B^) Axel god.

I wonder if Croc 1 or Croc 2 will be there, I always wanted to play that

Top Bottom