• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now announced (PS1/2/3 streaming to TVs/Tablets/Phones/PSes, Summer 2014)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really hope that with the subscription model, they offer physical cards to buy time. I don't have a Japanese credit card, but I do want to opt into the Japanese version of the service.

Then again, have they talked at all how this will integrate with PS+? I might just sub to PS+ if that ends up being the best way.

I assume none of this information exists yet.

CRA5H

Glad to know Canada will have this in the summer as well! Hopefully they can give PS+ subscribers a 60 min trial of PS Now.

Who would pay a few bucks here and there to dip into some games?

No, I doubt that potential market has been saturated by PS3 - or any - consoles. I think there's probably swathes of people who would never be arsed buying a gaming console, but who might indeed want to rent some time with certain games if they were available on the devices they already have and the cost barrier was low. I know people in my own life for whom consoles just aren't really an option anymore, but who I think would dip into certain games - like Fifa or GTA - in a low commitment way if they could play them without it involving a new box in their homes.

Your logic is sound, but I just don't agree. I'd imagine that most of the 'I like games, but not enough to buy a console' market is having their itch scratched perfectly by their smart phone and tablet.

Rental and subscription based service

With PS Now, you can rent by title for specific games, or you can choose a subscription that delivers additional value with a wide variety of genres. For example, you can try out a game by rental first, before deciding to actually purchase the full game and download it to your console. We believe this streaming game service will add tons of value to dedicated game consoles in addition to packaged and downloaded games, and in doing so, we will open up a new world of possibilities across PlayStation platforms.

Sorry if this has been explained but what does this mean exactly?

PS3 has software emulation for PS1/2. So is it possible PS3 would be able to download ALL games instead of streaming? Or is it only downloadable when bought?

Streaming is definitely the future but if they can find a way to deliver both options for now, that would be amazing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, this is Netflix for games, right?

The games are streamed and not dowloaded, unless you decide to purchase it? Or are the rentals also downloaded in full?

So, this is Netflix for games, right?

The games are streamed and not dowloaded, unless you decide to purchase it? Or are the rentals also downloaded in full?

They're all streamed, how would you download a PS game to your tablet?
I think the download option they mention relates to simply getting it from the existing store on psn, but they could tie it together for ps3 users somehow.

pukko

Neo Member
How long until we get the first Now-only games? Since Now means that the users only need a dumb terminal (like a ps3/4) to play _any_ game. Sony doesn't need to limit it to already existing PS games, in some years we might see PS4.5 games on it? Or PC games?

Now might replace the need for new/dedicated gaming hardware for a large part of the "average consumers"

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm most excited for this as in theory it will mean I could play Persona 5 on my Vita. Also I would love to finish off grinding for my Ni No Kuni platinum on the Vita too. I wonder how successful they will be in negotiating 3rd party titles onto the platform.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
They're all streamed, how would you download a PS game to your tablet?
I think the download option they mention relates to simply getting it from the existing store on psn, but they could tie it together for ps3 users somehow.

Well it is possible, I have quite a few PS1 games through PS Mobile on my tablet, but I agree that it is unlikely to be tied in and PS2/3 wouldn't be possible.

How long until we get the first Now-only games? Since Now means that the users only need a dumb terminal (like a ps3/4) to play _any_ game. Sony doesn't need to limit it to already existing PS games, in some years we might see PS4.5 games on it? Or PC games?

Now might replace the need for new/dedicated gaming hardware for a large part of the "average consumers"

Not soon, but PS Now certainly opens the door for arcade-style custom hardware that would be too expensive to sell to end users, but viable in the context of a service like this where the cost is spread across many users. But that's strictly a post-PS4 development, I'd wager.

GYNGA

I tried Gaikai demos (before Sony bought it) and the quality of stream was surprisingly good (much better than OnLive) though it was quite laggy even on fiber optics. But with local-ish (Eastern Europe) servers it could be very much playable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Your logic is sound, but I just don't agree. I'd imagine that most of the 'I like games, but not enough to buy a console' market is having their itch scratched perfectly by their smart phone and tablet.

They are indeed, but if 'console content' wants in on that market, it has to bring itself to that market, on smartphones and tablets etc, rather than requiring its own box. So with a working streaming solution, console content at least can have its hat in the ring for those players next to native smart device games.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
John Koller: "This is not the answer to backwards compatibility."
So what is??

I hope they at least give unlimited rental time to the gamesgame ple already bought on PSN.

Lol that is a money losing proposition.

Streaming services use bandwidth every time you play the game. Somebody has to pay for it, and Sony is not doing it for charity. It is either a subscription/paying for the game again or you don't get the service at all.

Renting/Netflix-style subscriptions are good options, But what they need to do is let you rent a game use your subscription and play it natively if your hardware supports it. So if you have a PS3, you should be able to download any PS3 game on their rental or subscription service, as well as PS1 games. If you have a PS4, you should be able to do the same for PS4 games. Vita games for PS1, PSP and PSVita games. It would help entice people to still own Playstation hardware.

Top Bottom