• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

Kssio_Aug

180 dollars a year to play PS3 games, with potential lag issues and internet connection requirement, seems very expensive to me. Well, thats just my opinion of course, and the service wont even be avilable in my country.

Kilvin

44c33efab85ad085d886863b5e63b3c8e8318d7be046d79a29f5260b0480cf74.jpg

Haha yep, bandwidth pleeb here.

I'm working on the minister of finances (wife) to pay $5 extra a month to get 175 gb.

Appreciate the responses folks, I figured about Netflix levels at best. If it's double that then forget it.

If it's double that then forget it.
Oh, please don't quote me on that; it was a wild ass guess. :p

Digging a littler deeper, it seems that Sony recommend a 5Mbps connection, which is exactly the same that Neflix recommend for a 1080p stream, which consumes ~3GB/hr, per Netflix. So it sounds like Sony may be using higher frame rates and also higher compression to make up for it. But, I think PS Now is adaptive, so if you have a 10Mbps connection, it may then use less compression and try to fill that up.

I'ma tweet Shu and see if we can get a clearer answer.

Kilvin

Oh, please don't quote me on that; it was a wild ass guess. :p

Digging a littler deeper, it seems that Sony recommend a 5Mbps connection, which is exactly the same that Neflix recommend for a 1080p stream, which consumes ~3GB/hr, per Netflix. So it sounds like Sony may be using higher frame rates and also higher compression to make up for it. But, I think PS Now is adaptive, so if you have a 10Mbps connection, it may then use less compression and try to fill that up.

I'ma tweet Shu and see if we can get a clearer answer.

Above and beyond sir, thank you.

My connection is 15 Mbps.

Jordan89

Neo Member
I was actually really considering getting the subscription. I have been very impressed with the quality and have had no issues streaming at least one game on the PS4 via PS now.

Nevertheless, it seems, as another person has posted, that this Playstation Now is similar to amazon prime. Some games are free, while other you have to rent. There is a list on playstation's website and even in their forum section regarding which ones are on each list.

I think that for the games offered, individually renting may be a better option in my case. I mean, a good portion of the games I want to play are only the rentable ones. Plus, streaming does downgrade the graphics some.

However, for $15 to $20 a month, I would think it would be more reasonable to have all the games included because these games are last gen and most of these games can be found for very cheap at Gamestop. Comparing it to Gamefly, which ranges between $15-$25 a month (even with shipping times considered) the list of content (both new and old) is a better deal.

I would reconsider getting the subscription if they included all of the games making PS Now an either your pay the subscription or individually rent (but not both).

Liberty4all

Banned
How much bandwidth would playing a typical PS3 game eat up, say Infamous?

I like the concept of this but I only have 95 gb a month and I already use Netflix a lot.

A quick response to this, I checked in with a few contacts and got this back:

Checking in to it, but it varies wildly based on the quality of the connection you establish

Thanks, Bamelin. That's kinda what I thought; "as much as possible," basically.

Nice for QoS, but hard on caps, I guess.

Edit: Maybe they can add an option for capped users to throttle the speed to various rates.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just thought I'd chime in with my experiences with PS Now last night. I signed up for the 7 day trial, and I played a little of Dead Island: Riptide (never played), and Uncharted 1(I got the platinum trophy for this one, as well as played it a few dozen times,so I'm VERY familiar with how this one should look/feel).

My internet connection is about 40-60mbps wired, and my PS4 is connected to the Internet wired.

Visuals: both games looked incredibly sharp, like they were actually running natively on my television. I'm using my 40" 720p Samsung set, which is in our bedroom. The 40" 1080p set is in the living room, but currently only the PS3's are connected. I plan on getting my wife a PS4 of her own so she can play Dragon Age on her own box, and that one will be in the living room. Point is, on a 720p set, at least, the games looked great. I didn't detect any artifacts or pixel oration during my hour playtime.

Controls/Input lag: I did notice a little bit of input lag while playing Uncharted 1, but in truth, it was incredibly minimal, practically non-existent. Moving around and making jumps and head shots felt good and responsive. I did have to lower the sensitivity for aiming in both games, but that's more of a preference for me. I don't like super fast reticles, but I did play at both default settings, and my adjusted settings to get a feel for the lag.

Overall, I came away incredibly impressed, and I think I'll keep my 3 month subscription that will trigger after the trial ends. There are quite a few games on the current list that I've never played, and would like to.

Surge

Sorry if this has been asked already in advance.

I want to try this out for just 1 month but I don't really want to put my CC info on there unless I have to so is it possible to get a $20 PSN card and use that as payment?

Overall, I came away incredibly impressed, and I think I'll keep my 3 month subscription that will trigger after the trial ends. There are quite a few games on the current list that I've never played, and would like to.
Oh, it rolls over in to the quarterly billing? That's nice.

Aderuok

Neo Member
Question: Does playing Earth Defense Force 2025 with someone over PSN using PS NOW work if they're playing the PS3 physical version?

espher

So basically MMO sub price point if you're doing 3mo... that's actually pretty decent.

I mean I used to balk at MMO subs but for the amount of time I got out of them (mind you this was before they all became tedious themepark grinders), I found it worth it. For a growing back catalogue I can def see it being worth it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So basically MMO sub price point if you're doing 3mo... that's actually pretty decent.

I mean I used to balk at MMO subs but for the amount of time I got out of them (mind you this was before they all became tedious themepark grinders), I found it worth it. For a growing back catalogue I can def see it being worth it.

I was really amazed when I did my free trial to the point where I had to get a sub. The library is pretty great, and for 15 dollars? There are a ton of games on there- PSN or retail- that I was interested in over the years. Hell I played through Into the Nexus and platinumed it and loved every minute of it. Of course this was a great experience for me since I've just recently changed my internet to 100/10 which I had absolutely no problems even over wifi. That being said I continued my games on the go on my vita at friends houses and it played great.

camaropilot

New PS Now games for March:

Twisted Metal (PS3)
Alone in the Dark (PS3)
Infamous 2 (PS3)
Operation Flashpoint Red River (PS3)
R-Type Dimensions (PS3)

Not a bad list of additions, I never did make it through the Twisted Metal campaign so I think this will give me an excuse to go back and finish it.

Prezhulio

Wish I could setup a local ps now with my PS3, big back log from plus on it, but no desire/room to setup PS3 and controllers etc that go with it.

Is there anything sophisticAted about their ps now server farm or is it really PS3 guts rack mounted to spin up and serve a la carte?

GobFather

Just thought I'd chime in with my experiences with PS Now last night. I signed up for the 7 day trial, and I played a little of Dead Island: Riptide (never played), and Uncharted 1(I got the platinum trophy for this one, as well as played it a few dozen times,so I'm VERY familiar with how this one should look/feel).

My internet connection is about 40-60mbps wired, and my PS4 is connected to the Internet wired.

Visuals: both games looked incredibly sharp, like they were actually running natively on my television. I'm using my 40" 720p Samsung set, which is in our bedroom. The 40" 1080p set is in the living room, but currently only the PS3's are connected. I plan on getting my wife a PS4 of her own so she can play Dragon Age on her own box, and that one will be in the living room. Point is, on a 720p set, at least, the games looked great. I didn't detect any artifacts or pixel oration during my hour playtime.

Controls/Input lag: I did notice a little bit of input lag while playing Uncharted 1, but in truth, it was incredibly minimal, practically non-existent. Moving around and making jumps and head shots felt good and responsive. I did have to lower the sensitivity for aiming in both games, but that's more of a preference for me. I don't like super fast reticles, but I did play at both default settings, and my adjusted settings to get a feel for the lag.

Thank you for your review on it. I'm thinking of getting a 3 month first and where it goes :p

New PS Now games for March:

Twisted Metal (PS3)
Alone in the Dark (PS3)
Infamous 2 (PS3)

Operation Flashpoint Red River (PS3)
R-Type Dimensions (PS3)

Not a bad list of additions, I never did make it through the Twisted Metal campaign so I think this will give me an excuse to go back and finish it.

OOhhh, I like.

autoduelist

Glad to hear so many people are happy with it. I own all the platforms, and have a huge backlog, so it's not really targeted at me... but there are occasionally games I might rent for convenience rather than going through the hassle of buy/play/sell.

I played a couple games during the free beta and had no issues, so I figure it's only gotten better.

Is performance on Vita similar to on wired PS4? Or will it be a noticeable downgrade? Or does the lowered required resolution solve that? I'm not particularly sensitive to minor issues in framerate, etc.

Top Bottom