• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale-XF11

Man I am glad I waited to play bound in VR.

I think it's going to take me a while though. I can't stop admiring every new area from every possible angle lol.

Having a life size playable character in front of you is a really cool experience.

Having so much control over the camera makes me feel like a cinematographer!

Bravo, Plastic

Edit: I wish somehow they could release linger in shadows and especially datura in vr. I also would love if there was a different VR menu for the console and it was based on Bound. A menu floating above the sea of voxels with that music.

I've only played the demo, but I'm stunned at how life-life the main character is. Like, if I bring her close to me, I really feel like it's a real person staring at me. Her animations are so real and so fluid that I can't help but wonder if there's actually someone behind that mask. Haven't had that experience with any other VR game.

So I had my 70 year old mother try PSVR last night. She was completely floored by the ocean descent on the demo disc, as well as the Cat/mouse game in the playroom. She got a huge kick out of being the cat and meowing. Just watching her reactions was worth the price of admission. The social aspect of VR cannot be understated, it's really a good time to be had even for those not wearing the set.

tr00per

I've only played the demo, but I'm stunned at how life-life the main character is. Like, if I bring her close to me, I really feel like it's a real person staring at me. Her animations are so real and so fluid that I can't help but wonder if there's actually someone behind that mask. Haven't had that experience with any other VR game.

My thoughts exactly. It brings you closer to the character without any additional effort. It's really like having a person stare at you. It's so much more personal. I would love to see full naughty dog or Quantic Dream performance capture in VR

When using the follow camera it also makes you FEEL the jumps and really want to land them.

The stationary 1 (or 2 to a lesser extent) would work well for a lot of games. I wish I could play beyond like that. In fact, playing beyond with the TV player being Aiden would be really cool

wondermega

Fyi starting to see PSVR units in the wild at last. I was at best buy in Atwater village yesterday (los angeles) and saw maybe 3 or 4

tr00per

... And now I discovered the photo mode in bound. God dammit.

I love how you can transition between 2D and VR so easily. It's cool to compare 2D and VR and it's helpful for if you need to jump into tv mode instead

Grinchy

Banned
Am I the only one noticing massive tracking improvements after the 2.50 firmware?

Brookhaven was just about unplayable for me before. Pointing to the right or up above me had my gun jutting back and forth in the worst way. Now it's almost rock-solid. I noticed a huge improvement in Job Simulator as well. I'll do some more testing later, but this seems like a huge improvement that I don't really see anyone talking about.

Kyolux

Am I the only one noticing massive tracking improvements after the 2.50 firmware?

Brookhaven was just about unplayable for me before. Pointing to the right or up above me had my gun jutting back and forth in the worst way. Now it's almost rock-solid. I noticed a huge improvement in Job Simulator as well. I'll do some more testing later, but this seems like a huge improvement that I don't really see anyone talking about.

Interesting, only tried the danganronpa demo and watched Moana in 3d since the update. Will have to take some time to play something with the move controllers.

Speaking of Job Simulator, I wish there was more levels added to that game.

Danneee

Just got my PS VR. Been longing to try VR since the 90s and it didn't disappoint, apart from the low resolution and Battlezone making me nauseous hah:)

goonergaz

There's a demo? Which region?

Grinchy

Banned
Just got my PS VR. Been longing to try VR since the 90s and it didn't disappoint, apart from the low resolution and Battlezone making me nauseous hah:)

Battlezone is definitely one of the ugliest PSVR games, but it is so damn good. If you know anyone you can play co-op with and you guys learn the ins and outs of how to play the game, it's one of the best games on PSVR.

McCHitman

Banned
I don't think Battlezone looks that bad. It has a stylized look that helps a bit in my opinion.

That Luge game. THAT looks horrible. Besides it sucking, it's headache inducing.

tr00per

I don't think Battlezone looks that bad. It has a stylized look that helps a bit in my opinion.

That Luge game. THAT looks horrible. Besides it sucking, it's headache inducing.

Agreed. Luge is the worst visual experience I've had. It would be a lot more tolerable if the screen just blacked out when you crashed. I shudder to think that there's people who only got to try that demo, wrote it off, and told people that it sucked.

I've not played VR enough recently to say (played here they lie briefly yesterday until this nearly gave me a heart attack - https://youtu.be/XcONJsOPK-s) but it was mentioned by devs that tracking improvements were included in the firmware updates due to their findings with the new aim controller.

robotrock

Banned
Edit: I wish somehow they could release linger in shadows and especially datura in vr. I also would love if there was a different VR menu for the console and it was based on Bound. A menu floating above the sea of voxels with that music.

What a throwback! gonna reinstall this on my PS3 now or something. I haven't thought about this thing in years'

edit: mindblown, these guys made bound? damnnnnnnn

tr00per

What a throwback! gonna reinstall this on my PS3 now or something. I haven't thought about this thing in years'

edit: mindblown, these guys made bound? damnnnnnnn

Yup. They've been around for a while. You can definitely see their style if you play them both. The soundtrack is phenomenal as well

Slixshot

Banned
Booted up my PSVR tonight for the first time in months. What an experience this thing is. Every damn time I play it, I'm just happy it exists.

Super Hyper Cube remains one of the cooler experiences. Love it!

Started REZ for the first time. That seems like a blast too. Let's see where it goes!

Slixshot

Banned
Got my PSVR today!

I got RE7.

Anything I'm missing or should avoid?

Here's a few great games:

Super Hyper Cube: It's the tetris of PSVR, if you ask me. Infinitely replayable. Awesome visuals/User interface. Simple but addictive.

RIGS: Haven't played this in months. Unfortunately the devs were shutdown (Gorilla Cambridge). Game was the BEST at launch though. Not sure how the community is doing.

Batman VR: Everyone says it's an awesome experience. Probably worth your time if you like Batman. (oh and make sure you have the move controllers for this)

Thumper: Awesome music rhythm game. It's intense as hell. Love this one.

REZ Infinite: Only played the first level myself but reviews say this game is meant for VR. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Tethered: I think this is like an RTS or something. The trailers look real cool.

Battlezone: I need to get this still. It has coop. Would be happy to play with gaf members :)

Any impressions on Dirt Rally VR? I found 2 reviews which seem to be very positive, but I'd like to know how it stacks up against Driveclub VR before buying it. I have a PS4 Pro btw.

I could grab it for 19€ with a coupon but I need some more opinions first.

Any impressions on Dirt Rally VR? I found 2 reviews which seem to be very positive, but I'd like to know how it stacks up against Driveclub VR before buying it. I have a PS4 Pro btw.

It's great, VR with wheel and pedals is an amazing workout, graphically on the Pro it looks fine, better than DC. But then again not as much going on so it should do.

Video from AnythingBut (I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_eh1jd4EX8

Hasney

Hadn't played it in a while as I was getting some weird tracking issues. Dirt Rally would just keep kicking me to the pause screen because it lost tracking, but the update seems to make it behave again.

Tried Trackmania, was the first thing to make me feel queasy in VR. Even the simple tracks before the crazy upside down shit was doing it so I think it was just the behind the car perspective. I'm fine with DiRT and Driveclub.

Hadn't played it in a while as I was getting some weird tracking issues. Dirt Rally would just keep kicking me to the pause screen because it lost tracking, but the update seems to make it behave again.

Tried Trackmania, was the first thing to make me feel queasy in VR. Even the simple tracks before the crazy upside down shit was doing it so I think it was just the behind the car perspective. I'm fine with DiRT and Driveclub.

Was playing Crystal Rift last night, with it's janky turning method that had me feeling a little rough after 4 dungeons.

WITHE1982

Never even heard of this before.

What would you rate this game from 1 to PlayRoom Platformer VR game?

It plays remarkably similar to Robot Rescue. A lot less polished then The Playroom game but looks fantastic in VR (not so much outside of it).

I've only played around 40 minutes but thought it was pretty great. It gave me so many Mario 64 vibes, even the jump noise is pretty much ripped from the N64 game.

Just make sure if you get it to change the camera controls so it follows the player like a regular 3d platformer. The default "press L2 to warp to player" doesn't really do it justice.

I'd give it an easy 7 out of Playroom.

Got my PSVR today!

I got RE7.

Anything I'm missing or should avoid?

In addition to what the poster above recommended:

Until Dawn Rush of Blood. Great on-rails horror shooter and only $20( no brainer if you have Resident Evil)

The free Call of Duty Jackal space shooter game is pretty good. It's only like 10 minutes but it's free lol. I actually liked it better than the Eve Valkerie demo.

Do you have Star Wars battlefront? There's a free Rogue-one mission in there. The base game can be had pretty cheaply nowadays...

The Playroom VR is awesome. There's like 7 little mini-games there of different styles. The platformer is a revelation, you'll be begging for a Mario or Crash game in the same style after you play it. The little tower defense game, ghost-catcher are all fun and replayable.

I just downloaded the demo of Bound, it's a third person platformer with highly stylized abstract graphics( best I can describe it) where the protagonist dances through the levels ballet-style. You can also manipulate the camera using the right analog stick. It's the weirdest thing, but definitely something you should check out demo-wise.

The demo disc is worth your time to go through, gives you a little taste of several games.

It makes me feel very sick, far worse than any other "movement" game. It's the change in elevation that messes me up. Hoping it improves for me over time as I get more VR experience because I was excited for this one. EVE, Rigs and Trackmania make me a little sick but nothing like Dirt.

Arkham VR just been updated to version 1.02 stating VR tracking improvements. iWaggle's video early used the game to show how much of an improvement the latest firmware made (3cm Z shift to 1cm) so it'll be interesting to see what more improvements have been made.

Arkham VR just been updated to version 1.02 stating VR tracking improvements. iWaggle's video early used the game to show how much of an improvement the latest firmware made (3cm Z shift to 1cm) so it'll be interesting to see what more improvements have been made.

So improvements on improvements?
good:D

Rubik8

Dirt VR is a must have. It's my favorite game to date on psvr. I play on the Pro and don't ever get motion sick, for what it's worth.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Arkham VR version 1.2 came out in November.

Cyriades

Here's a few great games:

Super Hyper Cube: It's the tetris of PSVR, if you ask me. Infinitely replayable. Awesome visuals/User interface. Simple but addictive.

RIGS: Haven't played this in months. Unfortunately the devs were shutdown (Gorilla Cambridge). Game was the BEST at launch though. Not sure how the community is doing.

Batman VR: Everyone says it's an awesome experience. Probably worth your time if you like Batman. (oh and make sure you have the move controllers for this)

Thumper: Awesome music rhythm game. It's intense as hell. Love this one.

REZ Infinite: Only played the first level myself but reviews say this game is meant for VR. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Tethered: I think this is like an RTS or something. The trailers look real cool.

Battlezone: I need to get this still. It has coop. Would be happy to play with gaf members :)
In addition to what the poster above recommended:

Until Dawn Rush of Blood. Great on-rails horror shooter and only $20( no brainer if you have Resident Evil)

The free Call of Duty Jackal space shooter game is pretty good. It's only like 10 minutes but it's free lol. I actually liked it better than the Eve Valkerie demo.

Do you have Star Wars battlefront? There's a free Rogue-one mission in there. The base game can be had pretty cheaply nowadays...

The Playroom VR is awesome. There's like 7 little mini-games there of different styles. The platformer is a revelation, you'll be begging for a Mario or Crash game in the same style after you play it. The little tower defense game, ghost-catcher are all fun and replayable.

I just downloaded the demo of Bound, it's a third person platformer with highly stylized abstract graphics( best I can describe it) where the protagonist dances through the levels ballet-style. You can also manipulate the camera using the right analog stick. It's the weirdest thing, but definitely something you should check out demo-wise.

The demo disc is worth your time to go through, gives you a little taste of several games.

Thank you.

I do have Star Wars battlefront.. got it on a PSN sale!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
some pax east impressions about: statik, the persistence, fantastic contraption, starblood arena, and farpoint

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...iders-and-more-hands-on-with-5-new-psvr-games

These are confirmed games for PSVR in the next few months. May is shaping to be the best month so far with 4 mid/top tier games coming out.

March - Whiteday Swan Song (Korea), Leave The Nest (14), Syren
April - Starblood Arena (11), Statik (24), Don't Knock Twice
May - Star Trek Bridge Crew (13), Farpoint (16), Kowloon' Gate, The Persistence

Bollocks

Played Driveclub on the PS4, made me nauseous, I think because it is a mess visually in the distance.
Upgraded to the Pro and tried Dirt Rally and it's fucking great, no motion sickness, nothing.
I can play it just like a regular game.

I was driving downhill on the side of the mountan in Greece during night and saw in the far distance the lights of a village, it is really atmospheric, go for it.

bumpkin

Persistence kind of gives me a Dead Space vibe.

I still really wish London Studio would make a full game of Scavenger's Odyssey or The London Heist. Those were two of the standout experiences in PSVR Worlds that both felt like their endings were open for continuations.

Robot Rescue from Playroom begs for more levels, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom