• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR will be priced "not to make money from it " - Shuhei Yoshida

4Tran

I think if they go for anything more expensive than £200, they are sending it out to die. Unless they market the hell out of, most people will see this as just an accessory, albeit a cool one, it needs to be priced as such, or the majority of people will just see it as unnecessary for the cost. They could also think about bundling a VR game in with it.
Nascent home electronics tend to go for extremely high prices. The first Blu-ray players went for $1000. VR looks to start at much lower prices, so it should have a decent adoption rate.

200.gif

Not trying to make a profit. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Are you new to the console world? Hardware is regularly sold at a loss, at least at first.

HoodWinked

one of the positives for having a high price is that the early adopters will need to logically justify their purchase so many will in a sense self indoctrinate themselves that this thing is worth the purchase. not unlike purchasing a game console.

$300-$400 seems like the price its going to land at since a separate processing box is increasingly likely.

Femto.

maybe. PS4 launched at $399 though. Most buyers and the target audience are likely current PS4 owners. And anyways I was more implying a $349 range, with the" closer to $399" comment
I could see $299-$349 if there is a PS4 camera tossed in. The unit itself should just be $249-$299, my reasoning is because the non-enthusiast ps4 owner might not even think twice if the headset costs just as much as the console he/she plays on.

Does PSVR require move controllers? I thought you could use a DS4?

Mihos

Gold Member
$350 or less and it is an instant buy...

$350 and up, it is still an instant buy, but I am going to go on the internet and complain about it

Jeels

Basic Set (VR, PsEye, Demo disk) - 249$
Game Set (VR, PsEye, Game or games) - 299$
Deluxe Set (VR, PsEye, PsMove, Game or games) - 349$

No way. I and many other people (one of their more successful accessories) already own a camera. There has to be a version with just the headset or they will piss early adopters off.

Chobel

Mark Cerny is going to come out at PSX (which has been moved to Austin, Texas for some odd reason) to make the price announcement.

"I'm proud to announce PlayStation VR will be competitively priced at $599 US dollars!"

*crowd boos*

"If you can't afford it, you can always go out and get a second job."

*boos grow louder*

The crowd gasps as Cerny digs his nails into his own neck and begins to peel his skin off. It's a mask! Cerny rips it off to reveal his true identity: Ken Kutaragi!

"It's me, Austin! It was me all along, Austin!"

LOL!

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

That's pretty much what I predicted here a few months ago, except for a basic PSVR-only stand-alone sku for camera owners. I've always suspected it'd be cheaper than OR. Seanspeed disagreed. ;-)

I've been guessing around $250 for a while now. Hopefully we can start putting to rest all the crazy $400-$500 conspiracy theories.

define "fail."

nobody is expecting VR to achieve significant mainstream penetration next year. Palmer Luckey recently described the consumer rift as similar to the early palm pilots:

i honestly don't know where this idea comes from that VR is immediately going to blow up and achieve iPhone levels of success right off the bat. it isn't. it's going to remain a niche product for the foreseeable future. it can still be successful as a nice product. There is every reason to think that eventually, once tech improves and costs lower, it can be massively successful as a mainstream phenomena. but we're not there yet. sony, oculus, valve all understands this, and are releasing their VR systems anyway, to test the response, develop content, and gain a foothold in the emerging market.

The comparison to something like the Palm Pilot is lacking. Sony are hoping to make money on royalties for content on the platform. For any third party to make content for it, it needs to get a big install base. Settling for success as a niche product is not compatible with that.

Based upon your prediction, a VR headset only would be about $199! I sure hope you are right because that's all I need!
Probably not though! :(

sono

Content is king, otherwise this will just be a novel piece of kit discarded in a drawer, like my PS3 move controllers currently are..

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm in day one on the strength of GT and Rigs alone, but would still really like for this to be $300. Hopefully we get an answer at PSX, though that may be way too early depending on the release window.

$350 or less and it is an instant buy...

$350 and up, it is still an instant buy, but I am going to go on the internet and complain about it

Pretty much this.

jbartee

The comparison to something like the Palm Pilot is lacking. Sony are hoping to make money on royalties for content on the platform. For any third party to make content for it, it needs to get a big install base. Settling for success as a niche product is not compatible with that.

idk, seems like an install base of 5-10 million would be plenty to see healthy if modest returns, assuming expectations are in check and content dev costs are reigned in accordingly. it really isn't an all or nothing scenario. VR is going to be a slow burn that grows in popularity over 3-5, or maybe 5-10 years. Obviously it's possible it will completely fail to attract an install base, which would be an objective failure, but a small, loyal chunk of the total ps4 user base (somewhere around 50 million now?) is fine to start with. anyone can see they're not going to reach even 50% penetration by next year. more like 10-25%.

EDIT: all of which is to say, sony will probably turn a modest profit, which is all they can reasonably expect to do with such bleeding edge tech. the point isn't to make a ton of money up front, it's an investment in the future. The idea is that as VR grows in popularity the companies that have been steering its evolution and slowly building an install base since the beginning will have a massive competitive advantage.

skelekey

Many of you are guessing too rich for me. I won't buy it until it's $199, maybe $250 tops. With some luck maybe the price is down next black friday. I already have a move, nav, and the PS4 camera.

majik13

I could see $299-$349 if there is a PS4 camera tossed in. The unit itself should just be $249-$299, my reasoning is because the non-enthusiast ps4 owner might not even think twice if the headset costs just as much as the console he/she plays on.

I dont think it does. Yeah you can use DS4.

I want to know, do you need the new camera for PSVR, or will the camera from the PS3 Move work?

NeoROCK

if they price VR not to make a profit, they can break even on the VR itself and still make profit off the games.

Shoeless

It doesn't require the Move controllers, but it does use them in addition to the DS4, and some games will probably be more optimized to work with some kind of motion control system rather than just the DS4.

"We tend to price hardware not to make money from it but to get as many install base so that content can be sold. This is the same kind of thinking in the way we are approaching PlayStation VR."

599€!!!

Danlord

Ppfpfffttppptttttt not making money from it. Literally sides in orbit

You must not be aware that - that is what has been happening for the past few generations with most hardware. Make a loss (or break even) on hardware and recoup the losses with profit from software sales. Since Sony makes money on every game sold as well as selling their own first-party games it's an established practise to do for consoles.

That means $250 to me. So crazy surprise at the E3 announcement and then revisionist history to follow about how it was too expensive at launch years later. Sound familiar?

Oshimai

They nailed the price of the PS4. I really hope they can surprise me with the price of their VR system as well.

I'm in th $299 camp.

Won't be getting one at launch but eagerly looking forward to seeing how this goes. Especially after seeing that mech game.

Nafai1123

Banned
$249 PSVR
$299 PSVR + PS Camera
$349 PSVR + PS Camera + 2 Move Controllers + Game

That's my prediction. All will come bundled with something (games/demos) but the highest priced pack will have a full-featured PSVR game included.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What are your thoughts, GAF?

My thoughts are that I'm going to hold off buying any VR device until I see the final retail price of this. I hope it's as low as they can go.

onQ123

Besides the screen what exactly make people think this is going to cost so much?

IMU sensors & leds are cheap & I'm pretty sure the DPU or whatever processor that's in the box is going to be cheap also.

Top Bottom