• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR will be priced "not to make money from it " - Shuhei Yoshida

Bowl0l

So an add-on will sell worse than the console itself? Share more of your wisdom.
Well, Sony said that PSVR is a platform separate than a PS4, not me.
Did Sony mention that PSVR is an PS4 add-on in any of their marketing materials?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I really don't think Sony cares that certain industries are going to use the Rift over PSVR. When it comes to games Sony certainly isn't behind and Shuhei already made it clear they are right now mainly focused on the software integration of PSVR. Vive and the Rift will have an advantage through the open nature of PCs, but I have no doubt that will not stop PSVR from getting an impressive list of non-gaming apps. I'm pretty sure we can expect at least things like VR tailored YouTube support and similar stuff. I also wouldn't be surprised if something like PSVR Home surfaces eventually. So even while the PS4 is a closed platform we can see the potential is massive, especially considering the (projected) install base.

I don't think Valve is going to limit Vive's support to Steam, so it's not really the same situation as Sony is in.

Yah; that's why the PS VR is not going to match the Oculus rift for this reason.

Carn82

" We tend to price hardware not to make money from it but to get as many install base so that content can be sold. "

Well, if it costs 700 usd to produce and sell it for 600 this quote would still be correct ;D

But my guess is between 250 - 350; which would be an insta-buy for me.

T_Exige

I expect it to be around € 399, which is alot, but I would be surprised if it is less than that.

I would buy it anyway, too weak to resist ... DriveClub, GT Sport ...

I know. I'm comparing the complexity of the device to the PS4, which probably has significantly higher marketing and R&D costs and likely a higher bom based on how deceptively simple VR hardware is. That's why I'm laughing at people who actually think this will cost more than a PS4.
Sony themselves said it, are you laughing at Sony too? They said the PSVR would cost the same as a new game platform. The most recent new game platforms released cost $400 and $500 (those people who think they would have been referring to four-year-old handheld game platforms are living in a delusional world, unless you think Sony was trying to deceive people about the price; they knew the statement would make people think of PS4 and XBox One). Don't forget this thing will have to come with a camera and possibly a Move controller - they are going to want it to be as "plug and play" as possible even if some people already own a camera/move.

Also, Oculus is selling the Rift at cost as well, and we have more info about the price there: that's going to be "more than $350". It's of course possible Oculus has a higher cost - they've had a whole company doing full time R&D for three years, and are doing crazy things like designing and manufacturing their own custom industrial fabric to cover the device with so it feels soft.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They need to redesign the MOVE controller. It's too fat, too straight and the buttons are too small. Make it thinning with bigger buttons and angle the end downwards so you don't strain your wrist every time you want to aim downwards.

Memory

They need to redesign the MOVE controller. It's too fat, too straight and the buttons are too small. Make it thinning with bigger buttons and angle the end downwards so you don't strain your wrist every time you want to aim downwards.

Not making an updated move would be a major blunder, however PSVR should still work with old move controllers.

I know. I was making a joke about a poorly translated answer. Everyone chill. Ha

ml5P5N.gif

Sorry a bit off topic but with these VR contraptions do they track the position of my eyes or my head only? For instance when I'm driving if i glance at the rear view mirror I just move my eyes not my whole head, does VR allow for this?

Sorry a bit off topic but with these VR contraptions do they track the position of my eyes or my head only? For instance when I'm driving if i glance at the rear view mirror I just move my eyes not my whole head, does VR allow for this?

This Gen should be head only. Eye tracking is a thing but still a future thing.

Moosichu

Of course it does. Because in theory the screen is spread accross your entire field of view. Although for now we aren't there yet so it's a bit like wearing goggles.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I believe its head tracking only.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Its a new platform because the gaming experiences are different from regular console games, but still its add-on to PS4 as PS VR cannot work without PS4.

Just like Blu-ray is an add on for your TV ... but is it seen as such? People really need to start understanding how Sony are positioning this. It's not an add on, it's something to be used with your PS4.

Of course it does. Because in theory the screen is spread accross your entire field of view. Although for now we aren't there yet so it's a bit like wearing goggles.

Ok that makes sense. I guess if it feels like you are wearing goggles then it will make sense that you have to move your head rather than feeling it as a forced motion (like it is for something like trackir)

DavidDesu

Well, Sony is like the only company involved in VR which will also make money with software in a big scale.

I expect that PlaystationVR will be significantly cheaper than other solutions,

This. As with PS4 being cheaper than many expected, I think Sony would rather repeat that, help to get more sales and make this thing start to snowball, rather than price it high and see it sit on shelves. Frankly I see way too much high quality software coming to it that I expect it to be considered a success no matter what they price it. I expect it to be no more than a new PS4 costs nowadays, and probably quite a bit cheaper.

The tech, besides the screen and optics, really isn't all that pricey, and as you say Sony have a good deal of clout and connections when it comes to mass producing stuff and bringing costs down. All these people insisting it will be exorbitantly priced I really do see being surprised by the final RRP.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd be surprised if the total system was under $350... I'm expecting $400.

But I'm also expecting that VR will come bundled with HMD, updated move controllers and camera. The HMD will be the lions share of the cost, but the other components will push the BOM up an extra $100+.

We might see limited VR headset only SKUs for users that already have the other stuff... but it'll be troubling to see the market split between those with access to motion and no motion controllers.

You really want VR to be such that motion controllers are a given - they're the input half of the equation, and lacking it, you're going to not only miss out on lots of versatility and lots of the experience that makes VR great... but the lack of it will even disrupt the magic sauce of VR - presence.

DavidDesu

Phones are pricey.

Google sold the Nexus 5 at cost, which at the time compared very favourably to the relative iPhone. I think I got mine back then for less than £300. iPhones were selling for double that. You realise iPhones BOM is about $200 and they sell for $500-600. That's just the Apple premium and why they have hundreds of billions in the bank lol. For Sony the BOM on PSVR really won't be all that high. They already have in house optic experience and production, are continuing directly on from PS Move R&D and production. The only pricey thing they're buying in seems to be the custom made 120Hz OLED screen. And the breakout box won't be housing some crazy GPU like some idiots keep thinking, it'll be few modest chips to do very specific things.The BOM on PSVR really won't be the staggering costs some presume.

I sort of expect Sony will surprise most of us with their pricing for this, just like they did with the PS4. Remember that..? In doing so they will offer the cheapest entry to a decent VR experience.

Also, I see many people talking about it failing like Move if the software support isn't there. If you just take one look at the list of games coming to PSVR, many of them PSVR exclusive games, surely you'll understand this will not be another Move scenario. Rigs is a more compelling VR only game than anything that ever came to Move (and off the top of my head I can think of about 3/4 Move games in totality, lol). GRAN TURISMO, especially for those who play on wheels, will single handedly shift a million or two PSVR units alone.

Those predicting doom and gloom seem to be the ones who still don't even understand what VR is and keep writing it off as a gimmick that will be short lived. I'm not sure what planet those people live on but I await all the crow eating. I've seen enough and heard enough by now that proves VR is here to stay and will grow (I predict rather quickly once it actually gets into homes and people try it, word of mouth etc.). It's too good not to. It's too much of an entirely different and wholly immersive experience in a way nothing else up til now has been that I simply do not see it failing, now that the pricing is realistic for it.

Just like Blu-ray is an add on for your TV ... but is it seen as such? People really need to start understanding how Sony are positioning this. It's not an add on, it's something to be used with your PS4.

that clears everything right up!

anyway, the more complicated Sony and other VR companies make it, the less chance it has at taking off. we're talking exponentially less with every little roadblock they put in the way.

DavidDesu

I'd be surprised if the total system was under $350... I'm expecting $400.

But I'm also expecting that VR will come bundled with HMD, updated move controllers and camera. The HMD will be the lions share of the cost, but the other components will push the BOM up an extra $100+.

We might see limited VR headset only SKUs for users that already have the other stuff... but it'll be troubling to see the market split between those with access to motion and no motion controllers.

You really want VR to be such that motion controllers are a given - they're the input half of the equation, and lacking it, you're going to not only miss out on lots of versatility and lots of the experience that makes VR great... but the lack of it will even disrupt the magic sauce of VR - presence.

I think Moves will come with the headset in most SKU's, but there should be one headset only SKU. Moves are important, but my god they're cheap as chips these days, I hardly see their addition to the SKU will push prices up much at all.

Remember Oculus is bundling in a completely VR/motion control deaf and dumb controller in with it's Oculus Rift headset. Quite why I do not know. That offers a stupendously poor entry to VR. Quite why they haven't just ramped up the Touch accessory production and bundle that in on day one is beyond me. A really poor choice.

DavidDesu

Think you're mixing two things up here. What you're talking about seems to be discussing field of view. The headset has a roughly 100 degree field of view, this means it occupies most of your vision. There will still be boundaries in the far reaches of your vision, sort of a ski-mask effect. But yes you will have a wide enough field of view both left and right AND up and down so as long as the wing mirror is in the corner of your vision, yes you indeed can simply look at it. The headset isn't like a tiny window in the middle of the screen that you need to look at to see the world (like the Hololens demo unit). It replicates how you would behave and see things in real life, that's the point.

Danlord

that clears everything right up!

anyway, the more complicated Sony and other VR companies make it, the less chance it has at taking off. we're talking exponentially less with every little roadblock they put in the way.

and I think that's why Sony is positioned very nicely when it comes to VR. It's going to be so straight forward for anyone wanting to try it. Every PS4 will play every VR game and the Headset will be plug and play, without any configuration and it will just work. I know that PC isn't terribly convoluted and when CV1 launches it'll be straight forward too (hopefully) but it's about perception and I know a few people put off PC gaming just because they don't want to even mess with any settings to get things working, even though Steam and GOG Galaxy is straight forward not to mention understanding hardware requirements.
If Sony can deliver this premium headset at a reasonable price, with a strong software lineup which is looking stronger every few weeks with more announcements, deliver a plug and play experience with social features then Sony can really propel VR as an established platform. It might not be mainstream straight away, but you can guarantee that word of mouth marketing will be a big factor for making it so and the investment by the big publishers will increase.

Tumle

Yes. Obviously, Sony have gone for a high end 1080P screen, but as Sony manufactures their own screens, I don't expect the per-unit cost difference to be significant. Assuming they're making them in high enough volumes.

I could be completely wrong though...

There would have been a profit margin on those screens though. And how many units were they manufacturing/assembling? Smaller the production run, the more each unit costs.

No one is going to price their launch VR headset with the aim of recouping R&D from the hardware.
Aah ok I understand what your saying:)
And I think your right when most of the things going in the headset can be produced internally at Sony

No, the PS4 powers the PSVR. There is a small breakout box that comes with the PSVR and helps with some audio/video stuff.
ok. thanks.
The breakout box handles displaying an un-barrel distorted view on the TV, as well as potentially second screen stuff - in the case devs actually use that.

It also handles some of the audio processing, and some preprocessing on the sensor data from the headset to be sent to the PS4.
so this probably means whatever devices in your living room space are using outlets, room needs to be made for the VR

JoeDanny

Wow! What a load of PR horseshit. "Not to make a profit" my ass! Sony riding off of the "for the players" bullcrap. The sad thing is that people will buy it even after they snuck paid online in during PS4's announcement, on top of numerous other shit.

Zaptruder

Banned
Wow! What a load of PR horseshit. "Not to make a profit" my ass! Sony riding off of the "for the players" bullcrap. The sad thing is that people will buy it even after they snuck paid online in during PS4's announcement, on top of numerous other shit.

You do realize the razor and razorblades model of commerce has been a thing for a while right?

Sell the device that provides access to the ecosystem at cost, then make profit on the software in the ecosystem...

eFKac

Please go away, this is really embarrassing.

MADGAME

Do we know how large-scale games may run on PSVR? Not to derail the thread, but I'm interested in potential resolution, framerates, and other performance related analysis. Anyone have a link to info I could read?

I already have several move controllers and camera, so if this is not only priced right but the experience is quality I may bite

Peltz

This is a huge sign that Sony is in the VR space for the long haul. Even if it's very pricey, I'm glad they are not selling this hardware for a profit just as a sign of good faith for the future

orochi91

Selling things at a loss is what Sony does for almost all their gaming hardware.

The profit usually comes in the form of software and subscription service purchases.

This is a huge sign that Sony is in the VR space for the long haul. Even if it's very pricey, I'm glad they are not selling this hardware for a profit just as a sign of good faith for the future

Agreed.

You should have taken the time to read through the thread, you would have saved yourself the embarrassment of expressing such an idiotic comment...Sorry!

Top Bottom