• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation4 FW 1.5 details

madmackem

But the consoles aren't the same, are they? At the very least they have different power cables.

No they will be the same, ps3 at launch you could plug any cable in to any socket around the world, i imported a day one japan unit to the uk and just used my kettle lead to play it.

Daishogun

They start manufacturing these consoles several month before launch, probably at the start of either August or September I'd think. If you take that into consideration, it's obvious why there is a launch day software update.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, they said you can only upload your DVR stuff to Xbox Live at launch -- they never said Twitch streaming was delayed. Unless this is a "source" thing. I'd like confirmation because since I'll have both consoles, that could have an impact on what games I get on what console.

It was mentioned on a Youtube interview, don't remember which one...but all mentions of Twitch have been taken off the Xbox.com page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/multiplayer

Someone should tweet Major/Albert for confirmation.

beast786

You cant suspend your game put the system into standby and boot back up and resume where you were, you can suspend game go to store browser etc then resume game.

Thanks.

Crap. Oh freaking well. Did they give any idea when suspend feature will be added. That was one of the thing I loved in February reveal

jwk94

It was mentioned on a Youtube interview, don't remember which one...but all mentions of Twitch have been taken off the Xbox.com page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/multiplayer

Someone should tweet Major/Albert for confirmation.

Adaptive AI, Game DVR, Living Games, Twitch and Upload Studio available in supported games. Home Gold benefits limited to single Xbox One in Gold member’s home; restrictions apply. See xbox.com/xbox-one.

FeiRR

Banned
Now Sony has to allow us to put custom startup animation on PS4. Having the banderas.gif on boot would make me forget about suspend/hibernate
;)

BigDug13

But the consoles aren't the same, are they? At the very least they have different power cables.

Yeah different power cables with the one type of power supply able to accept the different power inputs. So all that changes is the cable.

Honeatly, giving it some thought, I dont really give a fuck about suspend and resume. I dont mind booting my games cold. I still intend to switch off my console once ive stopped playing, as I cant stand standby leds. Long as I can switch between games and apps once booted Vita style, im perfectly happy with that.

The MP3/Music thing is far bigger deal for me.

UNCMark

Banned
Thanks.

Crap. Oh freaking well. Did they give any idea when suspend feature will be added. That was one of the thing I loved in February reveal

Makes you wonder how hard this is to implement if they've known for so long that it was going to be a part of their console and it's still not ready to go.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Makes you wonder how hard this is to implement if they've known for so long that it was going to be a part of their console and it's still not ready to go.

Yeah. They nailed it on the PS Vita. I'm surprised to see that it's not a day 1 feature. I wonder how long it'll take them to get it running on the PS4. I hope it's not too long. It's amazing on the vita.

I guess if you don't have an internet connection you could wait until a game is released with 1.5 (or greater) on the disc. Or get it on USB somehow.

Still better than having to connect to the net just for the console to have any operation at all.

Eggbok

Yeah. They nailed it on the PS Vita. I'm surprised to see that it's not a day 1 feature. I wonder how long it'll take them to get it running on the PS4. I hope it's not too long. It's amazing on the vita.

This, it's pretty strange since Cerny was lead designer for both If I'm not mistaken.

L3G3ND6

Neo Member
Mark Cerny can design the features and architecture, but it's up to PlayStation when they'll be implemented. With so many features, maybe they're just prioritizing? I'm a bit gutted about this but at least we can still put in low power mode and resume, even if it's not possible to do it game wise for a while.

Zoe

The theory for the DVD and BR is to encode your region upon activation. The games are region free, not the movie playback.

Since the same console is being built for all regions, easiest way to ensure movie playback gets region coded is to force it to be via downloaded firmware.

I really doubt they aren't setting the region at manufacture time. The firmware updates were universal for the PS3. If they did it the way you're suggesting, people could fake their region on a fresh console.

Topsu

Banned
This sucks. Really, what the hell is Sony thinking. They are shipping a shit version of their console. I wonder how big the update will be.

This sucks. Really, what the hell is Sony thinking. They are shipping a shit version of their console. I wonder how big the update will be.

The console has been in the manufacturing process since approximately July. The OS has been in development since before and after this point. Of course there is a day 1 patch. I expect all consoles will have this going forward.

The size of the update is 300MB

S¡mon

Banned
Standby will eliminate the boot up?

EDIT: what is the difference between standby and suspend?

Suspend means it saves everything into the RAM, so let's say you are in the middle of 'Level 5' in Killzone and suddenly you have to go, you can choose the 'suspend' option.
Console goes in a low-power mode.

When you come back and start the console, you immediately get back to where you was. So you'll return to 'Level 5' in the exact same place where you left it.

Better said: it's like hitting the pause button. (Except now, the console goes in an extremely low-power mode).

RaikuHebi

Banned
It will play games in 1080p. How is it a shit version of their console?

S¡mon;87542983 said:
Suspend means it saves everything into the RAM, so let's say you are in the middle of 'Level 5' in Killzone and suddenly you have to go, you can choose the 'suspend' option.
Console goes in a low-power mode.

When you come back and start the console, you immediately get back to where you was. So you'll return to 'Level 5' in the exact same place where you left it.

Better said: it's like hitting the pause button. (Except now, the console goes in an extremely low-power mode).
I thought it was going to be like PC hibernation, a fully powered off state?

Bailers

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Actually, this is a disappointment but that's about all. I don't know how anyone can be upset about getting a console earlier than we would have before updates over the internet were possible.

androvsky

.....its not limited. Should be common sense

It's not a given. A lot of people don't care that the PS4 doesn't play audio CDs because they'll just use mp3s, but look at it a different way. What's Sony's motivation to disallow audio CD playback? The drive will read CDs, the patents are long expired so there's no license fees (except for the logo that's essentially optional now).

So why did Sony decide to not allow audio CD playback?

edit: also, if the PS4 does have mp3 playback, it's probably not part of the Music Unlimited app. The Director of Music Services made a post on the Playstation Blog about MU on the PS4. Here's one of the replies:
Thanks for the response — more great feedback. Just out of curiosity, do you use an Xperia smartphone? Our new Walkman app actually lets you combine your personal MP3 collection and your Music Unlimited library and access it through the app. I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s pretty nice.
The great news is that Music Unlimited is managed and operated by people who love music, so you know we’re always trying to build the best experience. While we have to balance features and usability, just know that we’re always trying to bring the best possible to our customers.
If the MU app played the user's mp3s, surely he'd mention it there.

I'm not saying the PS4 won't play mp3s for certain, but I am saying it's not unreasonable to be a touch concerned.

PS Vita also supports custom music in the "background" but last time I played Jet Set Radio I wasn't able to do that. My music just stopped.
If this also will be a "it's up to a developer" thing on PS4 I would be really disappointed in Sony. I won't pay a penny for Music Unlimted.

Raven77

I get that we can use the Mono Headset when the PS4 launches, but what is the deal with PS3 headset compatibility? I'm reading about 20 different conflicting articles on what will and will not work on the PS4.

I want to play GTA Online right now but don't have a headset that I can use on my PS3. I obviously don't want to go buy one that I can't use as well on the PS4 I'll be getting in a few weeks.

Does anyone know, for sure, what headsets will work on both PS3 and PS4? I'd like to go out and get one soon. It doesn't matter if it wont work at the PS4 launch. I just want something that can be used eventually on my PS4.

I would prefer wireless but it's not a must. Any recommendations? Budget is 75-100 dollars or under.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
most of the time when I play the PS3 the TV is off. When I hit the PS button, the TV turns on and turns over to the correct input. By the time I get a picture on the TV, the PS3 has finished booting up.

So instant on wouldn't make much different tbh. Important for portables like 3DS or Vita which are right in front of you and have their own screens.

Withnail

Rushed to manufacturing before firmware and software was ready. Xbox One is in the same situation. So much for PS4 never having to connect to the net.

Let's see if the FW update is on game discs before making accusations eh. I suspect the launch games will have 1.5 on the disc because they will depend on it.

Iacobellis

Let's see if the FW update is on game discs before making accusations eh. I suspect the launch games will have 1.5 on the disc because they will depend on it.

I'm not sure if Sony sent out a firmware file to developers in time. I think games were supposed to go gold on the 15th.

Withnail

I'm not sure if Sony sent out a firmware file to developers in time. I think games were supposed to go gold on the 15th.

It didn't need to be ready before games went gold though, it needed to be ready by the time discs were being mastered, which would be a bit later. Developers don't master the discs, Sony does (only Sony can produce signed code). Also Sony publishing this information now makes me think development of 1.5 is already complete.

We should find out in less than three weeks.

Bouniter

Not sure you totally understand the question.

It's not a given. A lot of people don't care that the PS4 doesn't play audio CDs because they'll just use mp3s, but look at it a different way. What's Sony's motivation to disallow audio CD playback? The drive will read CDs, the patents are long expired so there's no license fees (except for the logo that's essentially optional now).

So why did Sony decide to not allow audio CD playback?

edit: also, if the PS4 does have mp3 playback, it's probably not part of the Music Unlimited app. The Director of Music Services made a post on the Playstation Blog about MU on the PS4. Here's one of the replies:

If the MU app played the user's mp3s, surely he'd mention it there.

I'm not saying the PS4 won't play mp3s for certain, but I am saying it's not unreasonable to be a touch concerned.

Thankyou im sure the PS4 will be play mp3s (it would be crazy if it couldn't)

What we do not know and I want to know is if I can use my own music as background music for games?
If not that makes a great feature useless to me as i wont be paying for music unlimited as I know it wont have all the music I want on it.

EvB

Nope.

1.0 will play the games, the 1.5 contains all the online functionality. Discs will have gone to manufacturer by now and I imagine they will be working on the apps right upto the launch day.

Whatever happens, you will still require an Internet connection to enable movie playback.

Top Bottom