• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation4 FW 1.5 details

Skeff

If a person doesn't have internet access he still has several options:

- go to some internet cafe/friend/whatever and put the firmware on a USB drive
- just wait until the firmware is on game discs, which shouldn't take long

To be honest 1.5 may be on launch games, considering when they went gold and when the PUP was found.

Downloads in background. Doubt it will install in background.

Since games are supposedly playable after you've downloaded a chunk, I'm thinking there's no longer need for lengthy installations.

In any case the low power chip is supposed to take care of that. What I don't think will be installed right away is firmware updates since it could be risky, plus they need to get you to accept their terms everytime.

Cartman86

Banned
Handful of other little handy features:
- You can adjust the safe zone in the PS4 OS.
- Notifications. You can choose from lots of different toggles such as Friends on/off, Downloads complete on/off and so on. Lots of options here.
- OS Music on/off (although its quite relaxing :) )
- Share button has a few options to how you do things. It has three functions; Take screenshot, bring up menu, start recording. You can change these so that a single press will take a shot and holding button will bring up menu, whilst 'double-tap' starts recording OR you can have Hold button to take screenshot, and tap to bring up menu etc. Having a single press to take a shot works nicely.

Wow did not expect them to put that much thought into it. It's obvious, but it's those little things that sometimes get ignored.

- Notifications. You can choose from lots of different toggles such as Friends on/off, Downloads complete on/off and so on. Lots of options here.
- Share button has a few options to how you do things. It has three functions; Take screenshot, bring up menu, start recording. You can change these so that a single press will take a shot and holding button will bring up menu, whilst 'double-tap' starts recording OR you can have Hold button to take screenshot, and tap to bring up menu etc. Having a single press to take a shot works nicely.

They heard my prayers!

DBT85

When you say "start recording" can you clarify?

It's always recording the last 15 mins anyway. so is the double tap simply setting a marker for an in point in that video, or is it a proper "record as long as you want" option?

Also, any chance you can tell us if the ability to play your own MP3s is there or if the only option is Music Unlimited.

Nice that those options can all be jigged around.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Have we got any clarification yet as to which 'Apps' will be available on day 1 (e.g. Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Video)?

When you say "start recording" can you clarify?

It's always recording the last 15 mins anyway. so is the double tap simply setting a marker for an in point in that video, or is it a proper "record as long as you want" option?

Also, any chance you can tell us if the ability to play your own MP3s is there or if the only option is Music Unlimited.

Nice that those options can all be jigged around.

When you double-press Share it starts a fresh video from that point, so for example if you were going into a boss fight and wanted to start recording then, you'd hit record to kick it off. You can then immediately share it afterwards without 13 minutes of additional footage at the start of the clip (before you got to the 2 minute boss). I am not sure if you can record more than 15 minutes manually. This is dev kit FW though so can't say for certain. You can add microphone based voice commentary to the clip (thats a toggle on/off in Share options which you set before making a clip, it doesn't automatically record input from the mic normally. Handy for heavy breathers or swearers :D :D :D )

Nothing on dev kit FW regarding music or video. Again, this isn't retail PS4 FW so we won't know until someone gets a final machine on the 15th!

Guymelef

When you double-press Share it starts a fresh video from that point, so for example if you were going into a boss fight and wanted to start recording then, you'd hit record to kick it off. You can then immediately share it afterwards without 13 minutes of additional footage at the start of the clip (before you got to the 2 minute boss). I am not sure if you can record more than 15 minutes manually. This is dev kit FW though so can't say for certain. You can add microphone based voice commentary to the clip (thats a toggle on/off in Share options which you set before making a clip, it doesn't automatically record input from the mic normally. Handy for heavy breathers or swearers :D :D :D )

Nothing on dev kit FW regarding music or video. Again, this isn't retail PS4 FW so we won't know until someone gets a final machine on the 15th!

Thanks, manual recording is what Tidux commented in other thread, but then Demonite said that not manual recording.
How live stream works?

Thanks, manual recording is what Tidux commented in other thread, but then Demonite said that not manual recording.
How live stream works?

Well maybe he knows more than me and is privy to other information :) I am just saying what I saw today but could be wrong :/ In the Share option is a Broadcast option for live streaming.

ckohler

No offense, but how do you know this? I'm getting really skeptical of people around here passing off their assumptions like they're fact.

To be honest this sounds really good. I've never been much to share stuff, but this makes it so easy that it will get a lot of use.

salromano

This might've already been addressed, but does anyone know if we can save our recorded videos to the HDD and extract it via USB Stick? Or do they have to be uploaded to Facebook in order to see them off the console?

VanWinkle

That stuff from Kenny sounds amazing. I'm so glad I don't have to go into the Share menu to take a screenshot. And being to add voice commentary to a manually started video recording? That's awesome!

We just need to know if screenshots and video can be store locally. Like, I want to be able to take a bunch of screenshots without going into the share menu.

Top Bottom