• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please stop posting Youtube links inside spoiler tags

Putting links in general inside spoilers is annoying as anyone who clicks the spoiler not knowing it's a link is essentially hijacked to another page.

Pineconn

This is annoying, and so are OPs who say "lock if old." Like, yeah, mods will do that. You don't have to give them permission.

Hikami

Don't really mind/care when people do what OP is talking about.
While we're at things that don't work in mobile:
  • Don't put images inside of code tags.
This is the one that annoys me. See it most often in the BST thread.

Jawmuncher

I still want spoiler tagged images to work in mobile.
That shit is the worst. Dunno why that feature was incorporated and not fully implemented. It has happened a few times where someone thinks they're spoiler tagging an image and not realizing a whole section of gaf will see it whether they want to or not.

Dantrist

Would it be possible to implement a feature that simply doesn't allow you to post a URL inside spoiler tags?

I agree, OP, it's super annoying on mobile.

Justinh

Yeah, I think the only thing that should go into spoiler tags is regular ass text. Not links and definitely not images, just use properly labeled links. Also not "non-spoilers" either. I think the only thing that should go into spoiler-tagged blocks are actual spoilers, not jokes. I don't know if I like that I feel like I should type out something to the effect of "this is an actual spoiler" before I spoiler-tag something.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Dont put lists in spoiler tags. Its a fucking list, not a god damn secret worth preserving.

Crayolan

But when links are in spoiler tags you can still kind of see the blue text in the spoiler bar anyway. Unless you have poor vision it should be pretty obvious that it's a link.

I'd be ecstatic if spoiler tags were only used for spoilers properly.

No links that leave you scrambling for earphones or to close YouTube.
No non spoilers that make no sense being in tags, like "lol" or suchlike.
And definitely no names of games that means you need to read it before you know if you'd prefer it not to be spoiled.

Yes, I fucking hate it, and images behind spoiler tags too. Also people not knowing how to properly provide context for what they're spoiling.

Taker34

Banned
ulSUm7X.png

It's 3:30 AM here and I'm crying, laughing and I can't breathe.

00ich

Can't this issue be fixed for mobile? Who helps make the mobile GAF, maybe reach out to them about this about spoiler tags?

I'm not him but:

// Reveal Spoilers by changing color of text
function revealSpoiler(element) {
var oldColor = element.style.color;
element.style.color = "#fff";
for(var i = 0; i<element.childElementCount; i++){
element.children.item(i).style.color = "#fff";
}
var wasRevealed = element.style.color !== oldColor;
wasRevealed?event.preventDefault():true;
}

Granted it's annoying for mobile, but at the same time it disables the video thumbnail and if you are on Desktop with the Neogaf Video Embedder it prevents Screenshot, Title and Description from showing up as well. Theres no easy solution unless Evilore decided to colour links within spoilers differently

Tapejara

Granted it's annoying for mobile, but at the same time it disables the video thumbnail and if you are on Desktop with the Neogaf Video Embedder it prevents Screenshot, Title and Description from showing up as well.

Theres no easy solution unless Evilore decided to colour links within spoilers differently

You don't need spoiler tags to hide video thumbnails on mobile, you can disable them altogether in the site settings. Preferences > Embed Youtube > Off. Makes browsing on mobile so much more pleasant.

Fliesen

While we're at things that don't work in mobile:
  • Don't put images inside of spoiler tags.
    [*]Don't put images inside of code tags.
  • Don't mask links with images. It'll load the image instead of the link.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1361743

In general it is proper netiquette to make sure the image you posted isn't too large.

At some point in the last year, I believe, the site received an upgrade that will automatically horizontally scale many oversized images. The image scales based on the size of your web browser.

The usual way of making images smaller, without manually reducing their size in an image editor, was to simply quote the image in your own post. The downside to this is that if you want your image quoted in a reply it won't show up without some additional work from the user replying. To both minimize the image and make it still quotable, you can use the
Code:
 tag instead. When composing a post, the [CODE] tag is represented by a # symbol.

[/B]
[/QUOTE]

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/giphy.gif[/IMG]

with regards to proper use of spoiler tags: spoilers should definitely have some kind of [spoiler=info about the spoiler ] the actual spoiler [/ spoiler] feature. That'd really help people who want to properly use spoilers do so in a more structured way. One can only dream ...

Forkball

Marry me OP.

What is the point of putting a nondescript link behind a spoiler tag? Is someone going to be spoiled by youtube.com/watch&=dhshs? Clicking in a spoiler thinking it's about something you already know only to find out it opens up YouTube on your phone is immensely annoying. Are the people who do this stupid or jerks? WHICH ONE

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, I think the only thing that should go into spoiler tags is regular ass text. Not links and definitely not images, just use properly labeled links. Also not "non-spoilers" either. I think the only thing that should go into spoiler-tagged blocks are actual spoilers, not jokes. I don't know if I like that I feel like I should type out something to the effect of "this is an actual spoiler" before I spoiler-tag something.
The problem with is that no one will ever agree on what needs to be tagged.

Hey guys future tip. If you wanna avoid clicking on a spoiler youtube link. When wanting to read a spoiler tag hold the screen, don't tap it. If it is indeed a video, "open in new tab" will appear avoiding unnecessary youtube openings. If its text it will just tell you if you want to copy or select all.

*Splinter

Hey guys future tip. If you wanna avoid clicking on a spoiler youtube link. When wanting to read a spoiler tag hold the screen, don't tap it. If it is indeed a video, "open in new tab" will appear avoiding unnecessary youtube openings. If its text it will just tell you if you want to copy or select all.
You can also hit quote to see what's written in the spoiler section without clicking it

Kilau

Gold Member
Putting in image in a quote to make it smaller but then making it a link so that if you click to enlarge it you open the link instead.

Hate that.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This is annoying, and so are OPs who say "lock if old." Like, yeah, mods will do that. You don't have to give them permission.

If this is the thread for rattling off about GAF pet peeves, then I submit the oft-used "LTTP" thread tag.

If you're talking about an old-ass game, then it's already understood that you're late to the damn party.

Banzai

Spoiler tags are being abused all over the place anyway. People use them for jokes, links, images where it isn't needed, put things that are actually massive spoilers for a game/movie/whatever without any warning in threads not related to that plot at all,...

It's annoying as fuck.
[nospoiler]And I know I've been guilty of using it for jokes once or twice myself...[/nospoiler]

Also, when using the superior black neogaf theme, spoiler tags don't completely hide links. You can still read what's written in yellow, potentially spoiling you of something.

Was going to post this; just checked and it's the same on white theme, it's just dark blue on black instead of yellow on white. Perhaps the forum should straight away make spoiler tags not work on links, and if you want to link to one of those articles where the URL is the title and it's indeed a spoiler, just write "Link here (warning: spoilers)", make that text a link, and don't spoiler tag it.

How in the hell didn't I know of this thread until now. Thanks Occam, you made my day, I'm dying over here.

Top Bottom