• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Podcast recommendation thread (please read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

And how is it?

Should I expect just a dose of news or is done well and/or entertaining?

Basically, what I think Im looking for is the Giant Bombcast of world events, but I realise thats asking a lot.
There is no chance that you're going to find that. They isn't enough of an audience.

Shaffield

Mike and Tom Eat Snacks
genre: serious professional food critique, no funny business here.
start from: whatever snack you're most interested in, I personally recommend "Almond Joy" or "RC Cola and Moon Pie".

Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, the podcast where your hosts Michael Ian Black and Tom Cavanagh eat, discuss, and rate snacks.

Rktk

Kermode and Mayo's Film Review

Rz5vDM2.jpg

Topic: Film Reviews, news and listener emails.
Start from: Current, see some of the best bits on YouTube, such as Sex & The City 2.

Mark Kermode discusses the latest film releases with Simon Mayo. Lively, controversial and unmissable movie discussion. Broadcast live on Fridays at 2pm on BBC Radio 5 live.

DoubleD

I finished We're Alive a couple of days ago. So bummed that it's over. I thought the story was excellent and will miss my days at work listening to Michael, Saul, and Burt.

Hardcore History
Genre: History
Start from: Beginning or Current

Freakonomics Radio
Genre: Information, Culture, Stuff

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Super Best Friendcast

AxL1vxd.jpg

Genre: Video games, movies, TV, anime
Start from: Wherever, current recommended

Matt, Pat, Woolie, and Liam of Super Best Friends Play talk about the week in video games, and also venture into movies, television, and anime/manga from time to time. Don't let the fact that they're LP'ers scare you away, these guys are actually really entertaining and knowledgeable about video games (three of the four used to work in the industry). Worth noting that they made the iTunes "Best of the Year" list two years in a row, and are actually the only newcomers from 2013 to make a repeat appearance on the list this year.

Necrovex

BBC has an hourly world news podcast.

Started listening to BBC Global podcast, it's some really stellar stuff. But it is typical news.

And a similar question, what is a good American-centric news podcast that doesn't involve NPR? I love NPR, but on the road, I sometimes can't connect to their app (due to data) to listen to the Morning Edition, and All Things Considered segments.

Malyse

Started listening to BBC Global podcast, it's some really stellar stuff. But it is typical news.

And a similar question, what is a good American-centric news podcast that doesn't involve NPR? I love NPR, but on the road, I sometimes can't connect to their app (due to data) to listen to the Morning Edition, and All Things Considered segments.

Hoo boy. Maybe PBS Newshour?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
The Steve Austin Show Unleashed
Genre: Wrestling, random shenanigans
Live from Hollywood, CA by way of the Broken Skull Ranch, Pro Wrestling Hall of Famer, Action Movie/TV star, Steve Austin lets loose on these no-holds barred, explicit versions of the program. Steve gets down and dirty with Hollywood celebrities, past wrestling buddies, present pros, MMA fighters, athletes, movie stuntmen and from time to time, you the working man (or woman).

The Steve Austin Show (family friendly)
Genre: Wrestling, random shenanigans
Live from Hollywood, CA by way of the Broken Skull Ranch, Pro Wrestling Hall of Famer, Action Movie/TV star, Steve Austin talks about anything and everything that pops into his brain. In this Network friendly version of the show Steve shares tales from his new life, unbelievable past adventures, talks to pro wrestling pals...you name it, Steve's on it.

The Talking Dead Cast (not the AMC show)
Genre: TV
The Talking Dead is a fan podcast dedicated to the AMC TV show The Walking Dead. We’ve been releasing episodes since September 2009, and have recorded over 100 episodes so far.

Transporter Room 3
Genre: TV
Welcome to Transporter Room 3, our Star Trek-only podcast! Movies, TV, toys, creepy cosplay -- if it's about a starship, a Vulcan or a Borg Babe, your fearless Trek fanatics Scott Collura and Phil Pirrello are ready to talk about it!

Penguin

Sorry to bump, but felt best place to ask, does anyone have a high-quality animation/cartoon-based podcast they would recommend?

Limit

Some intriguing recommendations. Will definitely be checking out all the science - comedy and science podcasts mentioned here. I need more of those in my life. Adding one of mine to the list:

Very bad wizards
Genre: Science, philosophy, comedy
Start from: Anywhere. Episode 38 and 55 are best jumping points if one just wants to get a taste of the show as they are about the hosts discussing their favorite movies/movie characters.

Very Bad Wizards is a podcast featuring a philosopher (Tamler Sommers) and a psychologist (David Pizarro), who share a love for ethics, pop culture, and cognitive science, and who have a marked inability to distinguish sacred from profane. Each podcast includes discussions of moral philosophy, recent work on moral psychology and neuroscience, and the overlap between the two.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This thread needs more love.

How Did This Get Made?
Genre: Comedy/Movies
Start from: Either beginning or current. Highly suggest starting with live episodes or any episode to which you have seen the movie.

Have you ever seen a movie so bad that it's amazing? Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas want to hear about it! We'll watch it with our funniest friends, and report back to you with the results.

By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin
Genre: Comedy/Talk
Start from: Beginning/current. No real order is necessary. Jeff and his guests have great Hollywood stories. Note: If you dislike Jeff or people that interrupt others, avoid.

By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin is an eavesdroppers paradise. Recorded live at Largo in LA, its a series of casual talks between the host and his most interesting show business friends. Agendas are out the window and no topics are off limits in these revealing chats.

Checked out Last Podcast on the Left, currently on episode 10, loving it.

Screen Rant Underground
Genre: Movie and TV Reviews/News
Start from: Current

Screen Rant Underground is the official podcast of ScreenRant.com with editors Ben Kendrick, Rob Keyes, Anthony Ocasio, and Kofi Outlaw (as well as special guests) who discuss the hottest movies and TV shows each week. Serving everyone from casual viewers to hardcore film and TV geeks, the SR Underground delivers engaging entertainment analysis and spirited reviews.
Fun pod show, the hosts have fun and usually review the movies that release that week and covers the movie and tv news that drops. If you check out the show, skip the most recent episode, 176. It covers clips from the past shows for the holiday. Epi 175 has Battle of the Five Armies and stuff.

The Solomonster Sounds Off
Genre: Wrestling
Founded and hosted by The Solomonster, the show takes a humorous, no nonsense approach to the biggest stories in pro wrestling with a mix of breaking news, show recaps and analysis, plus a mailbag segment featuring listener Q&A.
When I used to watch wrestling a few months back it was because I ran across this podcast. He's been active for years and the show length ranges from an hour and a half to two hours.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The Rotating Platform
Genre: Videogames
Start from: Beginning/Current

I10XIMI.jpg

Videogame chat and irreverent features. All apparently coming to you from some kind of Rotating Platform, we think? We're not even sure ourselves.

This is a really entertaining podcast featuring the staff of the late, great, NGamer magazine discussing videogames across all formats. It continues the wonderful, irreverent humour that the magazine had. Most episodes normally feature the hosts trying and failing to play a tune with Jam With The Band DS.

IGN Nintendo Voice Chat
Start from: (9 Oct 2014), then continue to (16 Oct 2014) - two amazing, insightful interviews, two weeks running.

IGN's editors discuss all things Nintendo. Now you're playing with power!

It is really hard to find a decent Nintendo gaming podcast. Most are filled with sub-GameFAQs level rants about how kiddy Nintendo games are. Fortunately, IGN's Nintendo coverage has improved dramatically and this podcast is amazing. The best episodes are the ones where they interview people related to Nintendo's history. The interviews with Perrin Kaplan and Julian Eggebrecht of Factor 5 are really interesting. The normal episodes are infromative too, but obviously less insightful.

Ty4on

cover_quarter.jpg

Isometric
Start from: Beginning or current
Each week, join game developer Brianna Wu, game journalist Maddy Myers, technology journalist Georgia Dow and game enthusiast Steve Lubitz as they analyze the week's biggest stories in the video game industry from different perspectives.
The podcast is quite new (35 episodes when this was written) and has some internal humor, but it is quite easy to hop on. I tried some new podcasts in October and one of them was Isometric. With three women it was very different from most other podcasts and it really helped me understand the harm griftergoffy had done. Apart from those episodes though (18, 24 and 26) it is a fun and laid back podcast with some unique perspectives.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^Going to check it out. I'm in need of some gaming podcasts as I think the majority suck. The only one I (barely) listen to nowadays, is DLC.

How Did This Get Made?
Genre: Comedy / Cinema
Start From: The beginning

CAGcast
Genre: Gaming
Start From: The most recent episode

Co-Main Event Podcast
Genre: MMA
Start From: Most recent episode

Comedy Bang Bang
Genre: Comedy
Start From: Around ep 100 if you really wanna go back. I recommend listening to any episode with Jason Mantzoukas or Nick Kroll though

The Cracked Podcast
Genre: Informational and pop culture

Serial
Genre: Crime

Podcast Beyond

Giant Bombcast

Malyse

How Did This Get Made?

CAGcast

Co-Main Event Podcast

Comedy Bang Bang
Start From: Around ep 100 if you really wanna go back. I recommend listening to any episode with Jason Mantzoukas or Nick Kroll though

The Cracked Podcast

Serial
Genre: Crime

Podcast Beyond

Giant Bombcast

I mean, some of those were already recommended (including in the OP) and none of them have have descriptions.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I mean, some of those were already recommended (including in the OP) and none of them have have descriptions.

I don't get what's wrong about recommending something that has been posted. It will increase the probability that something will check it out based on the fact that others have as well. Or the person might check out a podcast because of similar tastes.

Malyse

I don't get what's wrong about recommending something that has been posted. It will increase the probability that something will check it out based on the fact that others have as well. Or the person might check out a podcast because of similar tastes.

If the description isn't enough, I doubt redundancy will help. Plus, it's not like you can't just say "I also recommend Serial" before you start your list. Plus it's a let down for people subbed to come in expecting something new to only see old recs.

Pachimari

This thread will be great, as someone who have just started really listening to podcasts.

Currently listening to Serial - Episode 1 but I don't get it. I'll give it some time.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If the description isn't enough, I doubt redundancy will help. Plus, it's not like you can't just say "I also recommend Serial" before you start your list. Plus it's a let down for people subbed to come in expecting something new to only see old recs.

1) Redundancy does help. Plenty of times I have brought/watched/read/listened to something because it was mentioned often on gaf or the web.
2) You don't have to start the list with "I also recommend X."

Malyse

Invisibilia
Genre: Life
Start from: Current (which is the first episode)
Invisibilia (Latin for all the invisible things) is about the invisible forces that control human behavior - ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions. Co-hosted by Lulu Miller and Alix Spiegel, Invisibilia interweaves narrative storytelling with scientific research that will ultimately make you see your own life differently

There's also a preview on Radiolab of another story they've done.

Bread

Banned
How Did This Get Made?

CAGcast

Co-Main Event Podcast

Comedy Bang Bang

The Cracked Podcast

Bread

Banned
Oh sorry

Serial
Description: Crime

Podcast Beyond
Description: Gaming

Giant Bombcast
Description: Gaming

Fuchsdh

Some picks from my own neck of the woods:

* Defocused
Genre: Films/Humor
Start from: Anywhere;  One of my personal favorites is ""Tim Curried Bacon".

What it is: A weekly film review from two guys. Inspired by things like The Flop House, it's an amusing back-and-forth between two guys about films; the biggest draw for me is that one of the hosts is a professional VFX artist, so they spend a lot of time talking about the production/postproduction/BTS of the films they discuss.

*  The Incomparable
Genre: Nerdery/Film/TV/Books/Games
Start from: Anywhere; there’s a helpful topic index that will help you choose what topics interest you: http://www.theincomparable.com/work/

What it is: A rotating panel of guests discuss all things pop culture, from a hilarious takedown of the Star Wars prequels, to new sci-fi novels, to producing their own radio play (that is also a lot of fun.) For those who have listened to a lot of episodes, their landmark eps (especially the year in review and Ep 200) feature a lot of in-jokes.

The Incomparable has basically become its own podcast network, so there's a few podcasts you can subscribe to individually or via a master feed: they do Dungeons and Dragons campaigns, talk about current TV seasons, a random episode of Star Trek with a random guest, and much more. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

* The Forward Unto Dawn Podcast
Genre: Video games
Star from: Anywhere; although later episodes improve on the technical aspects.

What it is: Have to shill for my own podcast. The Forward Unto Dawn podcast is myself and generally two other Halo series fans discussing the universe and its fiction; it's a companion to our website, forwarduntodawn.com Niche. But if you're interested in learning more about Halo's fiction or what books are worth picking up, we're a resource :)

Malyse

Just a heads up, if you as specifically interested in fictional podcasts, I have just the thread for you.

Bending my own rules about descriptions to recommend the Afterbuzz.TV network. Basically, it's a post game analysis of whatever TV show you're currently digging, including Netflix shows (with Netflix they just go week by week, a few episodes at a time). They also have a sister network in BlackHollywoodLive, which has a number of shows ranging fro pop culture and gaming to political and judicial analysis. Both are well worth checking out.

appaws

Banned
Name: Tech Report
Genre: Tech (PCs, PC Hardware)
Start From: Current

If you care about the PC scene, building PCs, PC components, etc. this is one of the best podcasts out there.

Name: PC Perspective
Genre: Tech (PCs, PC hardware)

Same as above.

Name: The Solid Verbal
Genre: College Football

The best college football podcast I have found. The do one on Wednesday talking about the upcoming games, then they do a show on Sunday reviewing the previous day's action. And they are genuinely funny guys.

Sunday Night Safran
Genre: religion, politics, all things ethnic
Start from: Wherever.

Sunday Night Safran is a radio show that recently came to an end. Every week John Safran and Father Bob Maguire would talk about the week and interview guests religion, politics, and all things ethnic.
It's incredibly interesting most of the time and delightfully awkward for the rest.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Now Playing Podcast
Genre: Films, Movies
Start from: Anywhere, preferably at the start of a retrospective

Join us for in-depth reviews and commentary on some of your favorite movies, both new films in theaters as well as reviews of every installment of some of Hollywood's longest running franchises!

An awesome podcast about reviewing films around themed retrospectives. The difference here is how deeply they get into the films they watch and what they watch. For example, their Marvel retrospective does not skip over films like 1988's TV movie The Incredible Hulk Returns or Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four. Reviews are extensive with films being picked apart scene by scene.

Scriptnotes
Genre: Writing, Screenwriting, Films
Start from: Anywhere, but Episode 128 with writer and co-director of Frozen, Jennifer Lee, is a great introduction to the show

Screenwriters John August and Craig Mazin discuss screenwriting and related topics in the film and television industry, everything from getting stuff written to the vagaries of copyright and work-for-hire law.

These two really get into the nitty-gritty of what makes a decent story, or more specifically, a decent screenplay. If you've ever wanted to know how to get started with writing or are simply curious about the process, this a great podcast to help you get your feet wet and is an interesting look behind the curtain of the film-making process.

Laekon

Freakonomics Radio
Genre:Society and Culture
Start from: current

I always want to get into podcast but then never end up listening to them after a few episodes. Freakonomics is the only one I've stuck with. The episodes are interesting and short enough for me to listen to while doing chores around the house or cooking. 99% invisible was just boring and the few good episodes I remember weren't even their own. This American Life is interesting but to long. You need to pay attention to their stories and I never find the time to do that for an hour.

I should probably try more and a podcast app besides the Apple ones as they are horrible at syncing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom