• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POKÉTON! New Pokémon anime starring RED (!) from Pokémon Red/Blue [Up: Trailer]

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Recon this anime is geared for older audiences?

Probably not beyond simply representing a game they grew up with.

It's airing in the same timeslot as the normal Anime, bar on Wednesday instead of Thursday, so there's not going to be a notable jump in how "dark" or "adult" it is, which wouldn't make sense anyway since it's based on a kid's game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So yeah, seems like the studio handling this is the same team doing the anime?

Dragon Quest VIII and IX and Dark Cloud 2 are all really quality RPGs. I've never played Ni No Kuni so I can't attest to that, but Level-5 has some serious RPG chops.

I think their unique flavour of RPG would be better suited to a spinoff though, which would make sense since other studios have tried their hand at the Pokémon universe before (like HAL with Ranger, Chunsoft with Mystery Dungeon and Tecmo with Conquest).

I love the animation style of Origin as well, but it's a bit of a bummer that it won't be applied to Venusaur (AKA the best Gen I starter).

Seems like their forte in RPG is if it's not turn-based. At least, DC2 isn't and it was playable too.

TehWhite

Neo Member
what fanbase? ..... I've been a fan of pokemon since i was a little girl. I've never wanted this lol nor have any of the ppl I've played with have. *kanye shrug* . If this show comes to the US hopefully they get the original voice actors from the early PK seasons. Cause I can't stand the newer seasons.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Probably not beyond simply representing a game they grew up with.

It's airing in the same timeslot as the normal Anime, bar on Wednesday instead of Thursday, so there's not going to be a notable jump in how "dark" or "adult" it is, which wouldn't make sense anyway since it's based on a kid's game.
Yup. This only panders to older fans, it looks like it's still made with their (constantly cycled) younger fans in mind. A nice little intro to the humble beginnings of their favorite franchise. Though hopefully there is enough hype for this and something more comes of it.

Also I'm confused by the "amazing" animation comments. It looks serviceable. I suppose it could be people really excited about Red/Gen1 being animated. I've also been out of the pokemon anime loop for, what, 16-17 years? Maybe this level of animation is so far beyond what is currently being produced.

Fuck yes! Can't wait for this!!
Been waiting for an anime portrayal of Red since forever! Best trainer ever.
Also I hate to be the one to plug but I did a little diorama for the low poly polycount competition with the intention of portraying Red's badassery..
https://sketchfab.com/show/926a73e5017b4367b716a3ddb21dc029
This looks awesome btw. I would not mind the long sought after pokemon 3D RPG/openworld/MMO/whatever looking like that.

Seems like their forte in RPG is if it's not turn-based. At least, DC2 isn't and it was playable too.

Not necessarily. DQVIII and IX were both turn-based and the general consensus is that they're both great games. I think you're taking one experience you've had with one of their games and trying to extrapolate it to reflect all of Level-5's RPGs. Once again, I've not played NNK so I can't comment on that one, but I seriously doubt that it was so bad as to taint your view of their entire RPG division.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also I'm confused by the "amazing" animation comments. It looks serviceable. I suppose it could be people really excited about Red/Gen1 being animated. I've also been out of the pokemon anime loop for, what, 16-17 years? Maybe this level of animation is so far beyond what is currently being produced.

It is, but that's because it doesn't have to produce 50 episodes per year like the main series does and is done by a different team.

Last year we got a trailer for BW2 done by the main Anime team that everyone freaked over, which was pretty funny since the high-quality animation was due to the fact it was a minute or so in length.

Refyref

Wow. All I can say.
Nice to see an anime with a design that looks close to Ken Sugimori's art and hearing the actual Pokemon theme in it.

bennyc12

Just realized, Red's design is based off of the FireRed LeafGreen "Red" trainer.
gen1_trainers_frlg.png

Boss Doggie

I still am creeped at their faces. It really looks... weird.

Not necessarily. DQVIII and IX were both turn-based and the general consensus is that they're both great games. I think you're taking one experience you've had with one of their games and trying to extrapolate it to reflect all of Level-5's RPGs. Once again, I've not played NNK so I can't comment on that one, but I seriously doubt that it was so bad as to taint your view of their entire RPG division.

NNK just really felt bland after playing it really. The only draw is Miyazaki's art and even then it's not his best work (I'd say is low tier but not Ponyo bad). And like I said, I played Rogue Galaxy and Dark Cloud 1 and 2 which were serviceable but are action RPGs.

Refyref

Level 5 discussions?

I don't know about NNK, haven't played it, but I heard mixed opinions.
Otherwise, Level 5 haven't really ever managed to design a good RPG, other than in the technical and visuals department.
(No, they did not design Dragon Quest 8 & 9, just developed them)

Midou

They should have done this from the start lol. Ash is so pathetic and the things he does go against Pokemon mechanics and concepts to such a huge degree. I hope there isn't any giving away Pokemon in this.

It's looking pretty great, I don't really play the games anymore, but I still watch a decent amount of anime, so I can get into this.

Josh7289

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

Oh it's only a TV special? Well maybe we can turn it into a full series if we buy it enough!

TheOGB

Banned
They should have done this from the start lol. Ash is so pathetic and the things he does go against Pokemon mechanics and concepts to such a huge degree. I hope there isn't any giving away Pokemon in this.

It's looking pretty great, I don't really play the games anymore, but I still watch a decent amount of anime, so I can get into this.
People give away Pokemon in the games though
I'm teasing

TCKaos

So do we know if it's a series yet? Sorry if it has already been mentioned, it's not in the OP and I don't want to dig through the entire thread. Nevermind, I missed it in the OP.

I forgot all about this. Did it end up being good? I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not.

It was pretty neat and is more or less the most watchable of the shorts in Halo Legends. It's on Netflix if you want to check it out.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
It is, but that's because it doesn't have to produce 50 episodes per year like the main series does and is done by a different team.

Last year we got a trailer for BW2 done by the main Anime team that everyone freaked over, which was pretty funny since the high-quality animation was due to the fact it was a minute or so in length.
Hmm, I guess it would be amazing in comparison than. I like the style in the BW2 promo (it was 6 minutes long). That quality of animation should be doable for a 26 episode run like many other shonen series. Gen 1 season 1 :) Though it all depends on the budget I suppose. Pulling the team away from the mainline series would also be an issue.

I was pretty hyped when I read this thread but now I'm confused. It's just a special? What length? How is that even going to work. Isn't there a lot of content to cover....

Elfteiroh

I must admit...

...I got more pumped seeing Froakie throw his foam as shurikens than Charmander tackling a Geodude.

Yellow is Red in the games.
I searched some time to find what you were referring to, only to find it in a gif you posted on another thread with almost exactly the same comment. XD Would have been cool to have copied the gif here too.
I really like these foamy shuriken too, almost confirm that it will evolve even more in a ninja-like creature. Damn, another gen where I choose the water starter. Still, the charmender scratching geodude is cool too, but for some totally different reasons. It's cute and filled with nostalgia of all the kids choosing him because he looked the coolest, only to hit a very hard (stony) wall directly at the first gym. That very first struggle is something very important for many people, and that make it cool in its own, profound way.

Boss Doggie

Color names are pretty common actually.

I searched some time to find what you were referring to, only to find it in a gif you posted on another thread with almost exactly the same comment. XD Would have been cool to have copied the gif here too.
I really like these foamy shuriken too, almost confirm that it will evolve even more in a ninja-like creature. Damn, another gen where I choose the water starter. Still, the charmender scratching geodude is cool too, but for some totally different reasons. It's cute and filled with nostalgia of all the kids choosing him because he looked the coolest, only to hit a very hard (stony) wall directly at the first gym. That very first struggle is something very important for many people, and that make it cool in its own, profound way.

People's jimmies would be rustled if I posted that gif.

And Froakie's pretty much shown as a ninja.

RAWi

Should have been this Red...

Red-pokemon-adventures-13987306-400-326.jpg

But well D:, hope this anime version of Pokemon ends up being awesome!

Or at least have enough audience to demonstrate that there could be a Pokemon anime based on the manga :D!

Yeah, like a few people, I think Charizard is going to Mega Evolve in this special.

1. The special description says this is to promote X/Y.
2. Red is holding a glowing stone at the end.
3. Charizard has a rainbow-coloured aura around it and the the rainbow DNA helix is shown at the end shown in the games when the Pokemon Mega evolve.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, like a few people, I think Charizard is going to Mega Evolve in this special.

3. Charizard has a rainbow-coloured aura around it and the the rainbow DNA helix is shown at the end shown in the games when the Pokemon Mega evolve.

It makes sense, hype the new using the old.

Mr. RHC

I'm getting all exited thinking of the potential!

I'd love a series of this following the events of the game and getting really in depth with the Pokédex and a gritty Team Rocket and everything...

Haha, all the things I'm imagining right now will never happen! xD

Elfteiroh

3. That's not an helix, it's a flame not unlike the one on Charizard's tail.
But yeah, I didn't see the stone-like thingy in Red's hand before you pointed it out.
Could be a possibility. Mega-Charizard, Fire-Dragon with levitate? Would get rid of that damned weakness to Electric types without giving him one to Fairy (the demo confirmed Fire resistance to Fairy). Dragon would also neuter his Water weakness I think.

3. That's not an helix, it's a flame not unlike the one on Charizard's tail.
But yeah, I didn't see the stone-like thingy in Red's hand before you pointed it out.
Could be a possibility. Mega-Charizard, Fire-Dragon with levitate? Would get rid of that damned weakness to Electric types without giving him one to Fairy (the demo confirmed Fire resistance to Fairy). Dragon would also neuter his Water weakness I think.

Pause it on that scene. The flame resembles the helix when the Pokemon Mega Evolve. It's also on the Japanese logo. I didn't realize it either until someone on another site mentioned it.

Brickhunt

Yep. Charizard evolved so fast that Ash didn't know how to control it. Ash left it on an island to spread it's wings so to speak and get over abandonment issues. Ash got him back recently and now Charizard listens to Ash. In that universe, Charizard is top tier and OP.
Actually, Charizard started listening to Ash after he got badly beaten by a Poliwrath and Ash personally healed him back. The reason why he left him at the Charicific Valley is because Charizard actually wanted to stay, and Ash actually respects his Pokémon's wishes. This decision payed off, since Ash can always ask for Charizard's help whatever he needs him.

Wazzy

Banned
Damn this looks good. This is what we should have had instead of Ash.

Also it's finally Charizards time y'all.

Top Bottom