• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Rumble U (April 24th Japan) - First Wii U game to use NFC

Kyou

Just imagine if these are future proof to other Pokemon games on the Wii U

HEXXjhY.jpg

BooJoh

The game looks awful. Why did they just reuse models from the Wii game? It will probably have the same exact gameplay too.
Artistic choice. And having played both the Wii and 3DS games to the end, I can assure you the 3DS game was far more substantial content-wise, but it did use the same graphic style and gameplay, and why wouldn't it? It's the same series.

Keslord

Banned
I JUST REALIZED WHY THIS LAUNCHES WITH POKÉMON UP TO THE FIFTH GENERATION ONLY.

Fuck, the generation six Pokemon are going to be retail exclusive figures that get released in waves.

zroid

Banned
I hope they have a like, 1/10000 chance to have a shiny figure.

lol oh man that would be incredible and utterly sinister

of course the figure itself won't be shiny -- it'll show up as a shiny colouration in-game once you actually use it.

Artistic choice. And having played both the Wii and 3DS games to the end, I can assure you the 3DS game was far more substantial content-wise, but it did use the same graphic style and gameplay, and why wouldn't it? It's the same series.

Games in the same series almost always improve their style over the course of a single iteration if able. Why would this be an exception?

I will not believe that the designers intentionally kept the models low poly. Last time I checked toys don't look like painted razor blades.

The art style for Pokemon Rumble is supposed to resemble old tin toys.

Not even oldschool tin toys look like sharp death traps.

Keslord

Banned
Games in the same series almost always improve their style over the course of a single iteration if able. Why would this be an exception?

I will not believe that the designers intentionally kept the models low poly. Last time I checked toys don't look like painted razor blades.

Not even oldschool tin toys look like sharp death traps.

As far as I'm aware, they're being kept low poly so they can have hundreds on screen this time.

Keslord

Banned
lol oh man that would be incredible and utterly sinister

of course the figure itself won't be shiny -- it'll show up as a shiny colouration in-game once you actually use it.

Or they package them in aluminum, like those mystery bags Ashens reviews. Run a limited set of 100 per like 100,000. The only way to know if it's shiny is if you buy it - no see through packaging. Just a game name and the picture of the Pokémon.

BooJoh

I think you're confusing style with resolution/polycount. The 3DS game actually did look better than the Wii game IMO. They used the same models, retaining the series art style, while using extra visual effects/etc to polish up the graphics. I'm sure this will be the same way on Wii U.

Low poly does not automatically = bad graphics. Whether you like them or not of course is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

And I'm pretty sure GameFreak has higher polycount models of many Pokemon since they did the 3d Pokedex and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on 3DS and X/Y, so at some point they obviously made a conscious choice to keep the low poly models for Rumble.

As far as I'm aware, they're being kept low poly so they can have hundreds on screen this time.

Also that.

Orayn

I think you're confusing style with resolution/polycount. The 3DS game actually did look better than the Wii game IMO. They used the same models, retaining the series art style, while using extra visual effects/etc to polish up the graphics. I'm sure this will be the same way on Wii U.

Low poly does not automatically = bad graphics. Whether you like them or not of course is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

And I'm pretty sure GameFreak has higher polycount models of many Pokemon since they did the 3d Pokedex and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on 3DS and X/Y, so at some point they obviously made a conscious choice to keep the low poly models for Rumble.

I think one could also make the case that they're meant to be a kitschy take on PSX/N64 era character models, considering they could probably be rendered more realistically with the same number of polys.

if they can have a full Pokemon game and keep them that TINY and for $1.99 each they can have Skylanders beat

it will still cost you over $1,400 if you have 700+ to buy
KuGsj.gif

but serious $2 tiny like micro machines (takes up less space) 700!

Keslord

Banned
if they can have a full Pokemon game and keep them that TINY and for $1.99 each they can have Skylanders beat

it will still cost you over $1,400 if you have 700+ to buy
KuGsj.gif

but serious $2 tiny like micro machines (takes up less space) 700!

And could they not keep the game updated through the years, holding the models, sound clips, etc for the Pokémon in the NFC figure? $2.00 expansion packs to keep it relevant until the Wii U is retired next, next generation. Imagine generation 7 and 8. Like, 1,000 figures.

And could they not keep the game updated through the years, holding the models, sound clips, etc for the Pokémon in the NFC figure? $2.00 expansion packs to keep it relevant until the Wii U is retired next, next generation. Imagine generation 7 and 8. Like, 1,000 figures.

this is a stoopid amount of money nintendo is leaving on the table
they are starting off with 6 tiny figures lol for $2 bucks each

they really need to get cracking on a Wii U game that uses a full roster and create 1,000 tiny pokemons to sell at $2

Frolow

Banned

Nintendo is sitting on a fucking goldmine right here.

Keslord

Banned
this is a stoopid amount of money nintendo is leaving on the table
they are starting off with 6 tiny figures lol for $2 bucks each

they really need to get cracking on a Wii U game that uses a full roster and create 1,000 tiny pokemons to sell at $2

Oh, they're not going to keep that money on the table. Gauge popularity with the figure sales. Then unleash in series. Make a physical copy for $30 that comes with all launch figures and a disc copy, ala Skylanders but cheaper.

the only bad thing I see with these TINY Pokemon are them being a CHOKE HAZARD for your baby brother / sister so this may not work in Sue Happy USA

So the complete game will cost over $1000? That's train simulation territory.

It will be very interesting to see Nintendo tap that Skylanders market, and see how the cost and content will be handled i.e. Pokemon becoming pay-to-win.

It will be very interesting to see Nintendo tap that Skylanders market, and see how the cost and content will be handled i.e. Pokemon becoming pay-to-win.

Complete no? Sounds to me like this is more extra than necessary.

Gen 6 is out in the fall the number can climb anouther 150

we don't know if Nintendo even plans to do more than 6 figures this could just be a small sample test of the NFC market for them to launch a full game later around Pokemon+NFC

but at $2 bucks each for the full line up including movie specials and evolutions lol

Orayn

That would be awesome. Seriously, this has to happen.

I also wish Nintendo implemented this in a more robust Pokemon game with better-looking figures.

There is little doubt in my mind that your wish is currently an unannounced project.

"For example, we can create cards and figurines with NFC and design our video games to work in conjunction with them," Iwata said of the first possibility. "Also, an increasing number of arcade games are utilizing IC cards which can read and write data in order to record users' scores and it is possible for Wii U games to connect with them." Nintendo is working with "several" developers on ideas like this, "and, by the end of this year, we will probably be able to show you some output, tell you about some more concrete examples of the possibilities or even let you try out some tangible examples."

"With NFC, that's a feature that everyone that owns a Wii U can take advantage of," Shigeru Miyamoto told Polygon in an interview this afternoon. "So that's what we're putting our priorities right now. We're hoping that in the near future we'll be able to show you something that will take advantage of the NFC on Wii U and people will be able to enjoy that."

CFzklAf.jpg

Keslord

Banned
So, in terms of monetization...

- Release figures in series, with occasional rereleases
- Make 1/10,000 figures randomly shiny
- Keep the game updated via NFC figures from future Pokémon gens
- Sell limited, special Pokémon like Spiky Eared Pichu or Surfing Pikachu
- Sell accessories for holding these figures
- Make it two GamePad accessible
- Make a physical starter bundle ala Skylanders

Am I missing anything?