• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Rumble U (April 24th Japan) - First Wii U game to use NFC

Anth0ny

I hope they have a like, 1/10000 chance to have a shiny figure.

nfs1n8dpqx.gif

If there are people willing to do this, I'm sure there are people crazy enough to buy the same figure hundreds of times just to get a shiny.

i wonder just how far Nintendo will go. Since the N64 people have been asking for proper Pokemon games on consoles and all they've really given is spin-offs. If this is the extent of the "Pokemon NFC" game because Nintendo are hell bent on keeping the main games portable that will be pretty disappointing.

So, in terms of monetization...

- Release figures in series, with occasional rereleases
- Make 1/10,000 figures randomly shiny
- Keep the game updated via NFC figures from future Pokémon gens
- Sell limited, special Pokémon like Spiky Eared Pichu or Surfing Pikachu
- Sell accessories for holding these figures
- Make it two GamePad accessible
- Make a physical starter bundle ala Skylanders

Am I missing anything?

Yep. If this makes anyone excited then the whole debate of future console price is irrelevant because as much as this will bode well with hardcore fans, it'll be fun to see people complaining about DLCs and buying this instead.

($10 says certain figurines will be locked for preorder and retail exclusive just to add the rarity to it).

Keslord

Banned
To add onto my monetization post... Release a sequel to Rumble 3DS. Bundle it with a single figure and an NFC portal for $40, or 6 figures and the game + portal for $50 to $60.

release 6-7 figurines each month for a year using the same game... add free DLC on eShop for the sets kids are paying for each month

after a year of this the collection should be close to complete

TrickRoom

i wonder just how far Nintendo will go. Since the N64 people have been asking for proper Pokemon games on consoles and all they've really given is spin-offs. If this is the extent of the "Pokemon NFC" game because Nintendo are hell bent on keeping the main games portable that will be pretty disappointing.

It doesn't need to be a main game. Why jeopardize your stable formula when you can try something new without the risk?

Keslord

Banned
Yep. If this makes anyone excited then the whole debate of future console price is irrelevant because as much as this will bode well with hardcore fans, it'll be fun to see people complaining about DLCs and buying this instead.

($10 says certain figurines will be locked for preorder and retail exclusive just to add the rarity to it).

Yep, just like Skylanders.

If they time this right, and unleash the first major wave along side Mario Kart U and a Wii U price drop...

@MUWANdo

Banned
Isn't this the sort of thing you introduce with a new franchise, not an existing one? Why would anyone who's played the previous games want to double/triple-dip for the new version if it's lumbered with all this NFC bullshit?

braves01

Banned
nfs1n8dpqx.gif

If there are people willing to do this, I'm sure there are people crazy enough to buy the same figure hundreds of times just to get a shiny.

Damn, thanking god for the shiny, sum41 working its magic, three GBAs going at the same time, or 25,000 encounters. I don't even know where to start with this video.

Orayn

Then we'll have another Wii in hands, with developers aiming for gimmicks. I hope not. I don't want pity ports.

Between Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and whatever else Nintendo's planning, the market for NFC figures will probably saturate pretty quickly. But when it saturates and Nintendo has a piece of the pie... Much money to be made.

The other major NFC trick is trading card games, but that would be an extension to something that's been steadily cruising along for years rather than a brand new gimmick to chase.

Isn't this the sort of thing you introduce with a new franchise, not an existing one? Why would anyone who's played the previous games want to double/triple-dip for the new version if it's lumbered with all this NFC bullshit?

1. Kids buy Pokemon.
2. Kids buy toys.
3. Nintendo makes a new Pokemon game that interacts with new Pokemon toys.
4. ???
5. PROFIT

Between Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and whatever else Nintendo's planning, the market for NFC figures will probably saturate pretty quickly. But when it saturates and Nintendo has a piece of the pie... Much money to be made.

The other major NFC trick is trading card games, but that would be an extension to something that's been steadily cruising along for years rather than a brand new gimmick to chase.

I can't wait for someone to cheat the system like the eye of judgment cards.

Instro

I think that there must be some sort of resistance to a full blown console Pokemon from Game Freak's end, or even Taijiri for that matter. The latter certainly thinks the series should be handheld only iirc.

Who knows though, it could be that they don't think the series would take off on consoles. Similar to how Monster Hunter didn't blow up until it went handheld.

Keslord

Banned
I think that there must be some sort of resistance to a full blown console Pokemon from Game Freak's end, or even Taijiri for that matter. The latter certainly thinks the series should be handheld only iirc.

Who knows though, it could be that they don't think the series would take off on consoles. Similar to how Monster Hunter didn't blow up until it went handheld.

They should remake Fire Red/Leaf Green for Wii U, seeing how they're the odd men out for generation three remakes. Maybe Pokémon Yellow: Ultra Pikachu Edition?

I was thinking and I don't think Pokemon is the scariest NFC figurines in Japan

Senran Kagura U + NFC FIGURES

Dead or Alive 5 U + NFC bounce

Smash Bros + NFC

ANIMAL CROSSING + NFC

this NFC thing could help save the Wii U maybe but it could also kill it :(

GetemMa

This is only available on the eShop. I wonder if they will do the same thing outside of Japan. Maybe sell redeemable cards that come packaged with one of the figures.

Low poly does not automatically = bad graphics.

I didn't say this is the case, now did I? If done correctly, low poly can look stylish. I just think the models for this game look awful because if the intent is for them to look like toys, they don't really look like toys.

Nintendo Land, specifically the Pikmin attraction, did an amazing job with the toy asthetic. I wish this could do it as well.

Keslord

Banned
I was thinking and I don't think Pokemon is the scariest NFC figurines in Japan

Senran Kagura U + NFC FIGURES

Dead or Alive 5 U + NFC bounce

Smash Bros + NFC

ANIMAL CROSSING + NFC

this NFC thing could help save the Wii U maybe but it could also kill it :(

Sticky situation potential judging by what I've seen on figma threads on /v/

Refyref

Those figures look cute, I want one.

NFC RFID is a lot harder to exploit than a simple optical code. Hell, I don't think people have pulled it off for Skylanders yet.

Actually, it has been. Activision sent a C&D to the person that wrote the Skylanders NFC exploitation program, and he took it down. So you can't actually exploit it right now, it's just possible.

BooJoh

I'm guessing this will be limited to certain Pokemon. Some might be only obtainable through figure (legendaries maybe,) others you just buy your favorite figures and it allows you to level it up, which may still not be possible with the Pokemon caught ingame.

A big part of the Rumble games is capturing new toys, because in essence the game is sort of a dungeon crawler and the Pokemon you capture are your loot. It's half of the driving force to play.

Currently there's just no way they could take a Pokemon game and replace the capture component with a toy DLC model on a full-scale basis. Even if they brought NFC to the mainline Pokemon games somehow I think it would be a limited set of Pokemon with a lot of legendaries and promotional stuff. Not to mention the figure doesn't change when your Pokemon evolves. NFC and Pokemon are a tricky pairing when you think about it.

ash_ag

This is okay for testing the grounds. Rumble is like the Mii-based Pokémon series, after all, isn't it? I'm only a bit disappointed that they didn't wait for Gen VI... I'm not sure if another Rumble will be made (I guess it depends on how this one will perform), and I really like the Pokémon Miis. :/

That said, I hope a game with more qualitative figures (like Skylanders's and Infinity's) and a more fine-tuned action gameplay does eventually come. Rumble is a mini-series to Pokémon, and this should be bigger.

It's nice that it only costs 1800¥, though. That's more like it. Rumble has a chance of staying around if they know how to use it.

JoeM86

This is okay for testing the grounds. Rumble is like the Mii-based Pokémon series, after all, isn't it? I'm only a bit disappointed that they didn't wait for Gen VI... I'm not sure if another Rumble will be made (I guess it depends on how this one will perform), and I really like the Pokémon Miis. :/

That said, I hope a game with more qualitative figures (like Skylanders's and Infinity's) and a more fine-tuned action gameplay does eventually come. Rumble is a mini-series to Pokémon, and this should be bigger.

It's nice that it only costs 1800¥, though. That's more like it. Rumble has a chance of staying around if they know how to use it.

Na, I think Rumble is the perfect series for NFC. It really wouldn't fit the main series or anything else. It belongs in a side series, not in the main games.

So the NFC will finally be a popular tech? :p
This and the next iPhone rumors (NFC) => Nintendo just have to do two things :
- Big full Pokemon game with 3DS / Wii U features + NFC on Wii U and AR Cards on 3DS
- Make apps that take advantages of smartphones NFC so you can find Pokemons in the real life :eek: (in gaming places like shops, Nintendo World, Arcades or toher fun/kids related places like Amusement park etc...)

This would not only print money, this would make the Nintendo money a real currency !!!
nintendo-money.jpg

The figure they showed off was Pikachu.

If you can only obtain Pikachu as a playable character from a figure from a limited source (Pokemon Centers) then I'll it a hat made of Snorlax fur.

JoeM86

Come on people, do you really believe that features such as this will be abused? I certainly don't. Nintendo do have ethics and think about the consumer first

TrickRoom

Now if only the rumble games were a deeper experience that don't get scoffed at by older audiences... maybe give them some potential for competitive play and hidden depth like the main series.

ash_ag

Na, I think Rumble is the perfect series for NFC. It really wouldn't fit the main series or anything else. It belongs in a side series, not in the main games.

I didn't mean the main games utilizing figures -- I meant an NFC figures game with higher production values. I'm okay with Rumble, I really am! I mean, so long as it's not a full priced game (and they actually put effort into it) I think it can stay on the Pokémon series as a regular spin-off. I just think they could use the NFC figures premise for something more high budget.

Does anyone remember the Trading Figures Game? Imagine that being revised into a Wii U action game!

JoeM86

The figurines look like paper craft...very cheap-looking.

They match the style of the game, though. This is a conscious effort. It wouldn't make sense for you to play as Toy Pokémon, then hook it up with toys that like 67467867634 times better

I am very happy about this. Not because I care about Pokemon or NFC (I just never got into that stuff, I'm not judging) but because I want Nintendo to rake in the dough to keep me stocked with my Zeldas and my 3D Marios that don't actually sell all that well comparatively. Seriously, was SS even profitable? As long as they keep cranking out what I like, I don't care how they make their billions.

ash_ag

The figurines look like paper craft...very cheap-looking.

They are intended to look like Miis. I think they are printed with a lower polycount because the series also has a history with origami; basically for aesthetics, although I can see people misread that decision.

They are intended to look like Miis. I think they are printed with a lower polycount because the series also has a history with origami; basically for aesthetics, although I can see people misread that decision.

Actually I find this art style very cute and having less polygons make the figurine look like it's just came out from the game.

acm2000

Just imagine if these are future proof to other Pokemon games on the Wii U

Why wouldn't they be? They just contain an NFC chip, nothing to do with the game

Of course, why let people reuse something when you can make them buy new ones

Top Bottom