• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Scramble U coming to Wii U

watershed

Banned
At least It was announced in a magazine not in a major events,

Later this Year at E3 2013
Reggie: We have one last announcement before we leave you today,
<Pokemon Scramble U video starts>

I can see this happening. Nah, Nintendo knows they have to seriously bring it at E3 this year or the Wii U will be completely overshadowed and basically done, what with all the next gen stuff that will be going on with Microsoft and Sony.

Friendly reminder: Don't post scans if you want to keep your account.

The Wii game was pretty crap from what I've played, not looking forward to this.

It's a shame really, continually getting the same old. Here to pad a schedule to "satisfy" users while they wait for the next mainline release.

Just think of the potential in quality downloadable games. Nintendo needs to treat their service more like XBLA, with beefy, serious titles. Imagine smaller-than-retail, but still quality games on the service. Unique experiences that aren't quite retail or handheld retail (yet beefier than handheld digital), but hold their own in their own way.

An example would be an HD remake of something like Pokemon Snap...same exact game and music (or possibly arranged), but assets redone to 1080p resolution standards and 60fps. Same original vision and art style too, no over-cutesy-izing like what's been done with recent Pokemon spinoffs.

daripad

This should have been a $20 physical game instead of digital because you know what happens with digital distribution

Refyref

It's a shame really, continually getting the same old. Here to pad a schedule to "satisfy" users while they wait for the next mainline release.

Just think of the potential in quality downloadable games. Nintendo needs to treat their service more like XBLA, with beefy, serious titles. Imagine smaller-than-retail, but still quality games on the service. Unique experiences that aren't quite retail or handheld retail, but hold their own in their own way.

An example would be an HD remake of something like Pokemon Snap...same exact game and music (or possibly arranged), but up to visuals redone to a 1080p resolution standards and 60fps. Same original vision and art style too, no over-cutesy-izing like what's been done with recent Pokemon spinoffs.

Nintendo do have such titles on their DD services, just not only. Even though Scramble isn't really that bad, just repetitive. (Something Snap gets after a single playthrough too)
And I don't see how a rerelease with improved graphics is somehow a better effort than a brand new game, even if the game in question isn't that great.

When I say "same old", I meant more along the lines of things we've seen regurgitated too many times in the last few years.

Snap is something that was only done once, and it was almost 15 years ago.

What I was proposing wasn't something revolutionary, but refreshing and using the service to at least a vision of it's potential. Beautiful HD remasters of games like Banjo Kazooie were very welcome on XBLA for example. But a complete overhaul instead of remaster, just keeping the original vision of the games, for release digitally, would be more than welcome.

The recent Pokemon spinoffs (Rumble, Ranger, Trozei, etc) are not of very high quality in my opinion and I'd much rather them go back to the past instead of shovel out endless games in these for-lowest-common-denominator-gameplay spinoff series (especially Rumble's mindless button mashing, I see how kids on sugar rushes would like it though?).

The spinoff games of old (Pinball GBC, TCG, Snap, Stadium N64, Puzzle League N64, etc) were very high quality and I'd much rather them take a hint from the old instead of regurgitating the new over and over.

farnham

Banned

Just think of the potential in quality downloadable games. Nintendo needs to treat their service more like XBLA, with beefy, serious titles. Imagine smaller-than-retail, but still quality games on the service. Unique experiences that aren't quite retail or handheld retail, but hold their own in their own way.

An example would be an HD remake of something like Pokemon Snap...same exact game and music (or possibly arranged), but up to visuals redone to a 1080p resolution standards and 60fps. Same original vision and art style too, no over-cutesy-izing like what's been done with recent Pokemon spinoffs.

I know that people are not overly convinced of this subfranchise but I dont think it is an indicator of nintendo downloadable titles in general. Nintendo released really good eshop games like harmoknight, pushmo etc. And i dont see why they would dont it for the wiiu

Nosgoroth

Hey, I like it. It's nothing more than a mindless button masher, but it's fun when playing co-op with a friend. Let's hope that don't overprice this one.

CTLance

I liked Rumble on the Wii, was fun in coop - even if it lacked depth and mid term motivation. I don't own a Wii U, but if I did I would surely give this a try.

I hope they will release the fushigi dungeon games too

For Wii U? It'd be an interesting idea, though I'm not sure what that'd really offer the games that the handhelds can't do. At least with Scramble/Rumble, a home console can give more computer opponents on screen, and more actual players.

The latest installment in the Pokémon Scramble series, known as Pokémon Rumble in the West, is to be released on the Wii U, it was revealed in CoroCoro today.

The game, which will be download-only, will feature all 649 Pokémon of generations I-V, and support up to four players. Up to 100 Pokémon will be able to battle at the same time.

Source: Bulbagarden (they have you know what so I dunno if I can link to them).

pokemon scramble..... its like nintendo trolling the WII U LoL

JoeM86

This is actually a great idea. It will help sell the eShop to consumers, especially as Pokémon Rumble Blast was one of the first 3DS games to reach 1m sales

THE SERIES YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR ACTIVELY WISHING DEATH UPON IS FINALLY ON WII U

I fucking hated Rumble. I know Pokemon hasn't got the best track record for spin-offs in recent years but Rumble takes the fucking cake.

I honestly dont think Nintendo thinks this game will move systems lol. Every game Nintendo releases has to push systems? Dont expect system sellers to be out until holiday sometime.

Kokonoe

Banned
Why? That's exactly what DLC should be for. I guess you'd prefer a yearly sequel?

This is a Pokemon game that is coming out the same year as Gen VI, if it's DLC it definitely should be free. The last game was overpriced due to it being the Pokemon brand, the game was nothing more than an extremely lackluster version of Dynasty Warriors.

Oh man, I was laughing so hard when I saw this. Right the heck out of nowhere.

Nintendo: Hey Pokemon fans! Remember that awesome photography game that came out on the N64? We hope you don't!

Jackano

You way are overreacting people, I think.

This is an eShop game only, meaning in no case we have to treat this magazine announcement like the Retro Studios AAA title announcement.
The eShop needs its smaller first party, exclusives games too.
Each Wii U game announcement can not be the killer-app that will be released in two months and sell millions of WiiU's. We already know this will be Mario and Mario Kart later this year, and this will be shown at E3.

And Pokémon Snap will need to be completely coded as a new game, using the Gamepad at its fullest (theorically); Scramble U basically is a Pokémon Scramble Wii sequel with likely the same base code. So it can be released quickly for the new digital platform, and it doesn't mean "no Pokémon Snap U, one day".
What's wrong with that? We often had Pokémon spin-offs early in the hardwares lifespan. Remember Pokémon Dash on DS for example.

In short, I'm cool with this announce.

Kokonoe

Banned
Because of nostalgia. Snap gave the idea of what a massive game could be like. It's really short and mediocre otherwise

I played it again when it was released on Wii and it still holds up, it's really just a great game in my opinion, but it seems I'm not alone in this one.

I certainly think it's better than a button masher with graphics from Pokemon Ranch Channel, at least in Snap you got to see Pokemon in their natural habitats. The models were actually better in an N64 game then the chibified ones in that game.

IHaveIce

Banned
"Hey we have the opportunity to announce a pokemon game for the Wii U, a decent Pokemon game would bring in some sales"

announces Scramble...
WTF NO.

Because of nostalgia. Snap gave the idea of what a massive game could be like. It's really short and mediocre otherwise

Fuck nostalgia, I played this in 08 or whenever the VC version came out. You're fucking wrong, man. It's neat.

Besides, you've pretty much given the reason for sequel desire anyway. It could be so much more.

DaBoss

Just as the wii remote was perfect for pikmin and luigis mansions. Unfortunately i expect pokemon snap to go the same way.

We're getting Pikmin 3 with wiimote controls. Luigi's Mansion would have to be first person to be useful with the wiimote.

Game pad is more perfect than wiimote for Pokemon Snap U.

How much longer until Nintendo caves and gives the fans the all generations, all regions console MMO they beg for all the time?

Kokonoe

Banned
How much longer until Nintendo caves and gives the fans the all generations, all regions console MMO they beg for all the time?

cellsmirk_zps649ea357.gif

Top Bottom