• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Rafavert

You'd probably be better off breeding one in ORAS and just teaching it to Mantine with the Move Tutor. That's really weird that they have baby-exclusive egg moves, especially when Mantine can get both of the moves via tutor in the past.

Oh yeah, forgot about the move tutor. Thanks!

You'd probably be better off breeding one in ORAS and just teaching it to Mantine with the Move Tutor. That's really weird that they have baby-exclusive egg moves, especially when Mantine can get both of the moves via tutor in the past.

Baby exclusive egg moves have been a thing (definitely happened in ORAS too)

I can't say that this Shiny Charm has helped me breed any shiny Pokémon. I'm using a Japanese Ditto too and I'm starting to worry there's something wrong under the hood. This Ditto is definitely hacked and I'm thinking there might be some secret or hidden value that isn't making the Pokémon appear "foreign" compared to my own game.

Because I bred two Shinies in XY WITHOUT a Shiny Charm in the time I've been trying to breed one in S/M. I know it's always the luck of the draw but maybe this is what I get for using a suspicious Ditto.

I can't say that this Shiny Charm has helped me breed any shiny Pokémon. I'm using a Japanese Ditto too and I'm starting to worry there's something wrong under the hood. This Ditto is definitely hacked and I'm thinking there might be some secret or hidden value that isn't making the Pokémon appear "foreign" compared to my own game.

Because I bred two Shinies in XY WITHOUT a Shiny Charm in the time I've been trying to breed one in S/M. I know it's always the luck of the draw but maybe this is what I get for using a suspicious Ditto.

As long as it has a different [ABC] language tag on it, it will work. They did change egg RNG this gen though, so you might just be unlucky and have a bad seed or something. I know I do, I checked a bunch of my egg projects and most were at like, egg 7000.

No idea. The first Ditto turns into a Munchlax with Recylce, and I use switcharoo to give it a Leppa. Then I get my Mew to keep its HP at 1.

As it calls Dittos and faint those, but sometimes it's like the Munchlax Ditto doesn't want to use Recylce and just uses a move that has a recoil and faints itself.

Nope, just using my Mew with the 1hp left move(totally forgot the name)
I finally got around to testing a variant of this. I got a Kadabra from PokePelago that knew Trick. Then I got a Trubbish that knew Recycle. Let the Ditto turn into Trubbish, then Trick to give it Kadabra's berry. Even with 3 other moves, the Trubbish is basically stuck being unable to run out of moves. I got 2 Imposter Dittos this way.

As long as it has a different [ABC] language tag on it, it will work. They did change egg RNG this gen though, so you might just be unlucky and have a bad seed or something. I know I do, I checked a bunch of my egg projects and most were at like, egg 7000.

It does have the black Japanese tag on the top-right of the summary screen. So, that's good.

I don't think I have the patience for 7000 eggs. But I hate to have spend so long on something so fruitless. I feel like I have to keep going until it happens at this point.

My odds are supposed to be 1/455. Statistically, it's got to happen sooner or later...

Demoli

Can someone help me out developing my team? So far I've got this http://pastebin.com/fHGZy3Sy

I feel like I have too many weaknesses to ground and not nearly enough tanky stuff. I was considering swapping Arcanine with Gyarados but the dog has been serving me well.

Any suggestion for improvement?

Can someone help me out developing my team? So far I've got this http://pastebin.com/fHGZy3Sy

I feel like I have too many weaknesses to ground and not nearly enough tanky stuff. I was considering swapping Arcanine with Gyarados but the dog has been serving me well.

Any suggestion for improvement?

Not really knowledgeable on VGC stuff, but maybe swap in Tapu Bulu if you have too much of a Ground weakness? Although lately it seems like High Horsepower and Tectonic Rage are being used more often than Earthquake now, so the debuff from Grassy Terrain might not help as much anymore.

Is this a decent Water team?

Only slightly aware of this meta, maybe consider Lanturn or Gastrodon to nullify the more damaging Electric attacks on switch? It doesn't play with the rain very well, but Cloyster can do some serious damage to mostly everything but Steel if it's given a chance, too.

Busaiku

Well, ended up with over 1536.
Better than last time.

1st day went really well, but had trouble with early matches yesterday and today.
Doesn't help that 5 of my team are weak to Steel, with 4 going down to a single Heavy Slam, even after Aurora Veil.

Not really knowledgeable on VGC stuff, but maybe swap in Tapu Bulu if you have too much of a Ground weakness? Although lately it seems like High Horsepower and Tectonic Rage are being used more often than Earthquake now, so the debuff from Grassy Terrain might not help as much anymore.

Only slightly aware of this meta, maybe consider Lanturn or Gastrodon to nullify the more damaging Electric attacks on switch? It doesn't play with the rain very well, but Cloyster can do some serious damage to mostly everything but Steel if it's given a chance, too.

You think I should get rid of Starmie for it? It's one of my favorite water types, but she seems to go down quickly and she's not as fast as I thought.
Also I don't know how I lost this. I shouldn't. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-525219314

You think I should get rid of Starmie for it? It's one of my favorite water types, but she seems to go down quickly and she's not as fast as I thought.
Also I don't know how I lost this. I shouldn't. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-525219314
Errors I noticed:
- Switching Seaking into Primarina. Sludge Wave could have dealt a decent chunk if they had decided to stay in that turn. I'm not exactly sure why they didn't, either.
- Switching Primarina into Empoleon and not Pelipper. The Solar Beam from Charizard was coming and Drizzle would have not only made them locked into it for a turn, but could have knocked out Charizard for the rest of the game with a rain-boosted Scald(?). This would have saved Blastoise from needing to be a sacrifice.
- Quick Claw is entirely random and I don't recommend using it.
- I guess use the information provided by Showdown more when it comes to types and abilities? I still forget a bunch of them sometimes, like I had completely forgotten Seaking had Lightningrod.

Starmie has too much of a movepool to not use it here. It also has Reflect Type and Recover for some better resistance capabilities if you want to run a more defensive build, but that's kinda gimmicky and I don't recommend it. If Starmie continues to be a problem, go with Slowbro I guess. Regenerator is always nice.

I would personally go with:
Pelipper (Rain Setter, Hurricane for Grass)
Starmie (Fast, somewhat bulky if you want that, access to Psychic, Ice, Thunderbolt, can change types, and so on)
Lanturn (Can turn Electric attacks into HP on switch with Volt Absorb, generally a bulky pain to deal with)
Ludicolo (Takes advantage of rain with Swift Swim, has no shared weaknesses with Water)
Gastrodon (Tanks a lot of hits well, can use Earth Power or Earthquake to deal with the Steel resist, has access to Counter, Mirror Coat, Recover for a gimmicky Red Card set)
Kingdra (Swift Swim, sometimes you just need a Draco Meteor)

But again, I've never played this meta before and I normally stick to 3v3.

I got to round 43 in the Battle Tree with an Assault Vest Garchomp, Mega Metagross, and Bulky Togekiss.

Start at round 40, each match began with a Greninja.

The first one didn't have Protean, so I sent out Togekiss. Greninja used Blizzard again and left me with some pathetically small amount of HP. I chipped some damage away with Air Slash before falling and switching in Mega Metagross. I was fortunate enough to KO Greninja with Bullet Punch. Metagross was able to finish the match.

The second consecutive Greninja lead DID have Protean. It immediately eliminates my Garchomp with Blizzard. Greninja is now ice type, so I switch in Mega Metagross. Bullet Punch doesn't kill it and I get OHKO'd with Dark Pulse. Thankfully, it uses Dark Pulse again and Togekiss is able to get the KO with Dazzling Gleam. Togekiss finishes the match.

Third trainer in a row leads with Greninja. I'm really annoyed here. I try to beat the Blizzard and switch in Mega Metagross and get OHKO with Dark Pulse. What the FUCK. I send out Garchomp because I gamble it won't use Blizzard and I'll get the OHKO with Earthquake. It used Blizzard and wastes me. Now all I have is Togekiss. I get lucky enough to flinch Greninja down with Air Slash, but then the trainer sends out a Mega Aerodactyl that obliterates Togekiss with Rock Head.

I was so mad. Now I have to reconsider my team and movesets because I am wrecked by Greninja, specifically.

Does your Togekiss not have Dazzling Gleam?

Errors I noticed:
- Switching Seaking into Primarina. Sludge Wave could have dealt a decent chunk if they had decided to stay in that turn. I'm not exactly sure why they didn't, either.
- Switching Primarina into Empoleon and not Pelipper. The Solar Beam from Charizard was coming and Drizzle would have not only made them locked into it for a turn, but could have knocked out Charizard for the rest of the game with a rain-boosted Scald(?). This would have saved Blastoise from needing to be a sacrifice.
- Quick Claw is entirely random and I don't recommend using it.
- I guess use the information provided by Showdown more when it comes to types and abilities? I still forget a bunch of them sometimes, like I had completely forgotten Seaking had Lightningrod.

Starmie has too much of a movepool to not use it here. It also has Reflect Type and Recover for some better resistance capabilities if you want to run a more defensive build, but that's kinda gimmicky and I don't recommend it. If Starmie continues to be a problem, go with Slowbro I guess. Regenerator is always nice.

I would personally go with:
Pelipper (Rain Setter, Hurricane for Grass)
Starmie (Fast, somewhat bulky if you want that, access to Psychic, Ice, Thunderbolt, can change types, and so on)
Lanturn (Can turn Electric attacks into HP on switch with Volt Absorb, generally a bulky pain to deal with)
Ludicolo (Takes advantage of rain with Swift Swim, has no shared weaknesses with Water)
Gastrodon (Tanks a lot of hits well, can use Earth Power or Earthquake to deal with the Steel resist, has access to Counter, Mirror Coat, Recover for a gimmicky Red Card set)
Kingdra (Swift Swim, sometimes you just need a Draco Meteor)

But again, I've never played this meta before and I normally stick to 3v3.

Yeah, I played pretty poorly. I have decided to use Ludicolo and its turning out better. Didn't want to use one at first because I think they look goofy.

Been playing around a lot with scientist set ups and I think these two are the best ones I've made:

Porygon Z, Alakazam, Weezing, Armaldo, Magnezone, Silvally-Fire

Porygon 2, Porygon Z, Ditto, Silvally Fairy, Tyrantrum, Magnezone

Next I'll make a real Colress one. Going with the Blaze Black 2 one because that kicked my ass:

Beheeym, Magnezone, Rotom Fan, Porygon Z, Metagross, Klinklang

Rafavert

Lucky D: found two shinies yesterday and today.
An Unaware Quagsire at a Friend Safari and a Timid Magnemite with HP Fire while looking for an analytic one.

So I got to 42 on my first try in the super-singles. And that with my first self-bred team. Not bad I guess.
And I got crushed by Bruxish which I still don't understand how.

Nature Power Whimsicott seems fun.
Wonder if I should just go with a Modest one.
Pre-Gen 7 I thought about running VGC Sun/Rain teams with Tapu Koko and Victreebel/Ludicolo with Nature Power (and Weather Ball for Victreebel). Nature Power is a hilarious move in certain conditions.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Ended up reworking the Doubles Battle Tree team I posted earlier into a singles team, bred two more Pokémon (Snorlax and Vikavolt), and entered the Alola Friendly. Managed to break the 1600-point barrier with this team--not bad for a team I very much threw together at the last minute...

Porygon2@Eviolite
Ability: Download
Sassy
156 SpA, 100 SpD, 252 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Trick Room
-Recover

Snorlax@Wiki Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Brave
252 SpD, 152 Def, 100 Atk, 4 HP
-Return
-Earthquake
-Pursuit
-Belly Drum

Mudsdale@Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
Brave
252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpD
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Heavy Slam

Alolan Marowak@Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Brave
252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpD
-Flare Blitz
-Bonemerang
-Shadow Bone
-Swords Dance

Slowbro@Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
Quiet
252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 SpD
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Slack Off
-Trick Room

Vikavolt@Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Quiet
252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 SpD
-Thunderbolt
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-Volt Switch

The Slowbro is terrible for singles, since I didn't give it Regenerator, so I didn't really use it at all. (I originally bred it to Mega Evolve, but since Mega Stones are banned in this format, and I didn't really feel like breeding another one...) Porygon2, on the other hand, I used in every single battle. Mudsdale and Marowak saw more use than Snorlax or Vikavolt, but they all saw their fair share of use. I haven't played much Sun/Moon competitive until now, but I was impressed by how many Pokemon Marowak hard-counters... And Trick Room is nowhere near as good in singles as it is in doubles, but I was surprised by how many people I encountered who were completely unprepared for it.

Arynio

So, I've got some babies with 4-5IVs* up for grabs. FC is in my profile. I'll accept anything in return, although other nice breedjects would be preferable. If anyone has a Snivy in a friendball I'd really want one.

158.png
lureball.png

Ability: Sheer Force (HA) / Torrent
Nature: Jolly
Egg moves: Ice Punch, Metal Claw, Aqua Jet, Dragon Dance

315.png
moonball.png

Ability: Leaf Guard (HA) / Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
Egg moves: Spikes, Cotton Spore, Sleep Powder, Leaf Storm

* Attack = 0, Sp. Attack = 30, Speed = 30 count towards the 4-5IV total

607.png
luxuryball.png

Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
Egg moves: Heat Wave, Haze, Acid, Power Split

761.png
loveball.png

Ability: Oblivious
Nature: Adamant / Jolly / Careful
Egg moves: Synthesis, Play Rough

EDIT: and also

077.png
fastball.png

Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Jolly
Egg moves: Hypnosis, Double-Edge, Morning Sun, Low Kick

Someone just gave me a Zapdos for a Trubbish.

Theres no way it's not a hacked one, right?
If it's from Gen 1 it's impossible to tell if it was glitched or hacked (unless it's under 50), but it's not exactly difficult to get one so it could be legit. If it's Gen 6 or 7, probably cloned at the very least. Gen 3-5, probably hacked or RNGed and cloned.

Koren

I don't think I have the patience for 7000 eggs. But I hate to have spend so long on something so fruitless. I feel like I have to keep going until it happens at this point.
I'm pretty sure your lack of luck is just a matter of... lacking some luck. Or rather having a lot of luck in the previous game, possibly.

On average, you'll probably fill most of the boxes for a single shiny. And that's on average, could be less, could be far more. Shiny breeding is awful, and that makes shinies special.

That being said, the way the RNG work in this game, getting a shiny is, on average, a matter of hatching 200 eggs if you use the prediction tools... the only issue is that those tools require you to hatch 127 eggs first (I'm hoping to be able to do something for this) AND to hatch a shiny by luck (if you don't want to look into your game to get hidden values).

upandaway

Does anyone have a spare Hoopa or Volcanion they're willing to trade? These are the legendaries I have to offer (no problem with giving more than one):

8fDvA4o.jpg

If you only have to participate then thats fine. If you actually have to be good at it than screw you.

Entry Prizes since they've been doing tournaments online have basically been to complete 3 matches.

Megastones are probably a tad more annoying since you're going to have to do it on multiple games if you have them since unlike berries / HA Pokemon you can't breed Megastones.

Koren

If you only have to participate then thats fine.
I disagree... You still have to know it, and be able to join the tournament. Come late and you'll be sorrow.

Also, I can't join anything online, since my account on Global Link is "currently registering, wait a couple minutes"... since launch. And Noone at Nintendo has been able to give me any help (either no reply, or a bot reply).

I disagree... You still have to know it, and be able to join the tournament. Come late and you'll be sorrow.

Also, I can't join anything online, since my account on Global Link is "currently registering, wait a couple minutes"... since launch. And Noone at Nintendo has been able to give me any help (either no reply, or a bot reply).

Yeah and you can't breed/grow more megastones for them to spread via trade like what happened with HAs / Berries. This is going to be like the HA Legendary thing all over again. In some ways I'm actually happy that hackers will probably flood the world with the megastones as soon as they are legal.

JoeM86

Use the Pokémon Support http://support.pokemon.com/ and not Nintendo

This is by far the dumbest match of my entire career: WS4G-WWWW-WWW4-VEQB

Shouldn't have sac'd Garchomp like that in the beginning, but it all worked out in the end.

So I guess they're basically just saying "hack Mega Stones" in big bold letters.

I wonder if they'll only be tradeable once they become "available." Right now you can't trade hacked unreleased Mega Stones.

On a related note, are Island Scan Pokemon (like Totodile and Swinub) with their hidden abilities still being erroneously blocked from trade?

Arynio

I wonder if they'll only be tradeable once they become "available." Right now you can't trade hacked unreleased Mega Stones.

On a related note, are Island Scan Pokemon (like Totodile and Swinub) with their hidden abilities still being erroneously blocked from trade?

Wait, what? I missed this :( GameFreak needs to get their shit together ASAP.

JoeM86

Of course they'll be allowed to trade once they're available. They're not allowed right now because they're not available.

Wait, what? I missed this :( GameFreak needs to get their shit together ASAP.

I had a friend who migrated and bred me a Thick Fat Swinub that couldn't be traded. It said there was something wrong with the Pokemon. Another poster here was trying to trade a Sheer Force Totodile and got the same message. This was the day after Bank, but I haven't heard if it's been fixed in the meantime. I would just try it but it's actually a pretty big production for me and my friend(s) to be on line at the same time to coordinate a trade. We're both really busy and play on different schedules.

Of course they'll be allowed to trade once they're available. They're not allowed right now because they're not available.

I don't think I asked my question right. What I was wondering was, once the stones become available as prizes, if they will also be immediately available for trade. I am curious if GameFreak would delay making them tradeable to keep them isolated to the tournament players initially.

Rafavert

I gave CazTGG a Sheer Force Totodile the other day.

JoeM86

I don't think I asked my question right. What I was wondering was, once the stones become available as prizes, if they will also be immediately available for trade. I am curious if GameFreak would delay making them tradeable to keep them isolated to the tournament players initially.

They haven't done that before so I doubt they'd ever do that

Top Bottom