• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Company Achieves $2.1 Billion in Retail Revenue in 2015

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Of course it is, and I am impressed with the growth despite the lack in major mainline release (and no release holiday last year at all). This year (especially with that leaked 3DS price cut) is going to be huge for Pokemon.

It's going to be a snorlax year for them. Get it!? Aha

Gaf. A question please. I have never played a pokemon before. Is jumping into Sun/Moon a good idea or I will miss too much past content?

You'll be fine jumping in. I jumped back in after OG Gen 2 to Gen 6 and I was able to jump right in with no problem.

The game will teach you how to play it. Don't go back to old games unless you want to.

Nanashrew

Banned
All that
Pok%C3%A9monDollar_ColoXD_JP.png

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Don't make him do that! FireRed/LeafGreen is way better for newcomers.

Yeah, start with either this, or X/Y.

Red/Blue are really, really dated at this point, and while its cool to see how far things have come, unless you want to get an appreciation for how the series has evolved, you'd be in for some distinct oddities in playing through those again.

Then again, there's a lot of potential for getting a bunch of mews or what have you into Sun/Moon if you plan on using the pokemon bank transfer.

vinnygambini

Fat and lazy? Or does Snorlax finally get up and start wrecking shit this gen?

Well I was more inclined in thinking that they are going to have a big year, hence the snorlax pun lol :p

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
It's a right machine.
I live in a small English village, the type of people you'd expect to play games here are fans of COD and GTA. Chavvy kind of people. I went to pick up my Darkrai code today and the cashier said it's been none stop with people asking for them.
I think everyone loves Pokemon deep down.

Caleones

Banned
Gaf. A question please. I have never played a pokemon before. Is jumping into Sun/Moon a good idea or I will miss too much past content?

You won't really miss out on anything by skipping the games before, BUT, the Pokemon that you college on X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will transfer over to Pokemon Sun/Moon. So if you play any of the previous Pokemon games, make it the ones that you can transfer Pokemons from.

You can also transfer Pokemon from the original Pokemon games available digitally but you will need the Pokemon Bank to do transfers and I believe you have a 30 day free trial of it but have to pay for it later.

Pokemaniac

Pretty much any of the game's are fine to start with. The only ones I'd really recommend against starting with are Black 2/White 2, since those are direct sequels to Black and White, and any of the first gen games, since they haven't aged well.

HardRojo

My children will probably grow up with Pokémon if they manage to grow bigger and bigger during the new few years.

My daughter is 7 and huge into Pokemon cards along with her friends. Hell I get excited if she pulls an EX card from a pack. The excitement never dies

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not surprised Pokémon appeal to all ages and with 722 Pokémon you're bound to have a favorite.

Plus the fact that The Pokémon Company have branched out into other medium, so Pokémon is always in the public's eye.

And my mom still calls Raichu "Pikachu".

Probably the nicest thing that your mother could say about Raichu as he's always ignored for Pikachu.

You should be fine jumping into the series with Sun and Moon but if you want to play a Pokémon game before hand then playing X and Y is also fine.

You only need play past Pokémon game if you fancy trying them out or if you have nostalgia value.

Play RGBY VC first.

Don't listen this, Pokémon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow are not newcomer friendly and have trapping of a old RPG game.

So you can catch and transfer all of the best and most iconic Pokemon to Sun & Moon.

Which he can do in X and Y, not that it matters since he never played a single Pokémon game so he probably has no attachment to the gen 1 Pokémon.

Nintendo is doomed right ?

Probably would have been had Miyamoto not stood up for Satoshi Tajiri when Nintendo originally rejected Pokémon.

Praise Miyamoto, praise Satoshi Tajiri and praise Game Freak for making one of the best franchise that I love deeply.

Cranster

Banned
I'd imagine the improved XY anime and the announcement of RGBY on the 3DS VC helped boost sales. This outcome should hopefully lead us to getting G/S/C to the 3DS eshop aswell.

Malakai

X and Y are a great starting point. You could do Pokemon Red, Blue or Yellow, however, they don't have a quality of life improvements of the later games.(things like reuseable TMs, beeding Pokemon, a more flushed out pokemon economy, much better distribution Pokemon of various types, etc) Furthermore, X and Y are still being supported by the Pokemon Company with event Pokemon.

Also, the seventh generation of Pokémon video games, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon,will launch in time for holiday season for the Nintendo 3DS family systems.

Well, no surprises here, but that should (finally) kill off some of the tinfoil conspiracy theories.

Aters

The story and character are never the focus of the game, so you can start with any game you like. I suggest you just start with Sun/Moon.

Malakai

I'd imagine the improved XY anime and the announcement of RGBY on the 3DS VC helped boost sales. This outcome should hopefully lead us to getting G/S/C to the 3DS eshop aswell.

I wonder would Nintendo place special credit for Iwata in the VC relauches of Gold/Silver/Crystal, considering the work he did to get them to fit on on a GB game cart.

I wonder would Nintendo place special credit for Iwata in the VC relauches of Gold/Silver/Crystal, considering the work he did to get them to fit on on a GB game cart.

He already had a special thanks in the original games. This probably won't change if those came to VC.

Iwata was one of the producers for Crystal too. If they do anything, they'd just have like a dedication for his direct involvement, but nothing else

Malakai

He already had a special thanks in the original games. This probably won't change if those came to VC.

Iwata was one of the producers for Crystal too. If they do anything, they'd just have like a dedication for his direct involvement, but nothing else

Dang, I was only a child when I lasted played those games. Must of skipped over it.

vinnygambini

Praise Miyamoto, praise Satoshi Tajiri and praise Game Freak for making one of the best franchise that I love deeply.

Seriously. Nintendo struck gold, don't know if the company would be standing as strong if it weren't for the Pokemon franchise.

X/Y are probably the best starting points, but you'll be fine either way since there's no real continuity in the series except for B2/W2 which were sequels. The most you'll miss is references made to previous games which never really matter.

Seriously. Nintendo struck gold, don't know if the company would be standing as strong if it weren't for the Pokemon franchise.
Wasn't Iwata responsible for convincing them to localize the first game? I'm sure Nintendo would still be around and a big company at that, they made Pokemon way bigger if they just stuck to Japan.

Top Bottom