• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Franchise: Who's that Pokemon Owner?

Here's a thought. Ever notice how spin-offs have become so minor these days? Remember when they were more common and bigger?

I kind of wonder especially with GF's insistence that Pokemon should remain handheld only, is that they're possibly afraid of being overshadowed/beaten at their own game. Because to me the Stadium games were such outstanding experiences and the Orre games, while not in the same league, were also vastly underrated.

The fact that said spin-offs, especially on consoles, being virtually absent, maybe there is some fear of a big blockbuster console RPG being considered way better and fresher. It REALLY should NOT be Game Freak's place to say where the series should go or not, that should be Nintendo's call. If Nintendo want Monolith Soft for instance to make a AAA Pokemon RPG on Wii U, then damn it they should do so.

It's just spin-offs just seem to be limited to puzzle games and what not, rather than any sort of RPG, Game Freak wants to be the only game in town as it were. Only really noticed it now.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Here's a thought. Ever notice how spin-offs have become so minor these days? Remember when they were more common and bigger?

I kind of wonder especially with GF's insistence that Pokemon should remain handheld only, is that they're possibly afraid of being overshadowed/beaten at their own game. Because to me the Stadium games were such outstanding experiences and the Orre games, while not in the same league, were also vastly underrated.

The fact that said spin-offs, especially on consoles, being virtually absent, maybe there is some fear of a big blockbuster console RPG being considered way better and fresher. It REALLY should NOT be Game Freak's place to say where the series should go or not, that should be Nintendo's call. If Nintendo want Monolith Soft for instance to make a AAA Pokemon RPG on Wii U, then damn it they should do so.

It's just spin-offs just seem to be limited to puzzle games and what not, rather than any sort of RPG, Game Freak wants to be the only game in town as it were. Only really noticed it now.

I don't think that's a fair comparison to make as games fifteen years ago required much less resources and investment than they do today.

Spin-off games were always meant to compliment the mainline games on its off-year; furthermore, they have been handled directly by The Pokemon Company for quite some time now (Pokemon Conquest, Pojemon Mystery Dungeon and most recently, Pokken Tournament), so blame them not Game Freak :p

Lastly, on your point of Monolith developing a Pokemon RPG for Wii U, the ROI would be atrocious, and remember, the Pokemon Company acts in the best interests of all three shareholders. In the plan your mentioning, none of them would benefit of such a costly development.

jholmes

Lastly, on your point of Monolith developing a Pokemon RPG for Wii U, the ROI would be atrocious, and remember, the Pokemon Company acts in the best interests of all three shareholders. In the plan your mentioning, none of them would benefit of such a costly development.

If Nintendo wanted to pay for Monolith to make a console RPG -- which it would do as it holds something like a 96 per cent stake in Monolith -- I don't see the downside of that for Creatures or Game Freak. Maybe Game Freak would be morally opposed to something like that because it didn't have enough logos on a mockup poster but who knows.

I don't think that's a fair comparison to make as games fifteen years ago required much less resources and investment than they do today.

Spin-off games were always meant to compliment the mainline games on its off-year; furthermore, they have been handled directly by The Pokemon Company for quite some time now (Pokemon Conquest, Pojemon Mystery Dungeon and most recently, Pokken Tournament), so blame them not Game Freak :p

True, but also they never did anything of the sort on Wii when it sold gangbusters where a big game could've been a ginormous seller. Instead after Battle Revolution's rush for launch and showing it, all we had after at retail were the two PokePark games. Not exactly a showing of ambition.

And technically, do half of the games Nintendo put on Wii U look like big hits? I don't think so. :p But Nintendo does it anyway because they try new things and have real ambition. Bayo 2 wasn't picked up for its sales potential, same goes for greenlighting the port of the original. :p And it got critical acclaim on virtually every site.

Also Bayo 2 has 21 scores of 100, Pokemon X only has 2 100 scores. Juuuuuuust saying. They saw a winner of a game. :)

POINT BEING. If Nintendo sees huge potential in a game, they will fund it. So I don't see why a Pokemon Wii U RPG by Monolith would be a bad choice at least since Pokemon is a huge IP and does have huge selling potential, even on Wii U.

Oh and I always see people begging for a Pokemon MMO (not that I want that, I actually really don't). I think Game Freak vastly underestimate the desires of their fanbase.

Not to mention that since Wi-Fi, the series has become less reliant on portability, at the very least exclusively. I'm not saying we can't have portable games, obviously that's the franchise's bread and butter, but big steps should be taken. And quite frankly I'm tired of Game Freak's mainline games. Yeah I said it. :( I still get uber excited when a new gen is announced, so there's that. XD

vinnygambini

If Nintendo wanted to pay for Monolith to make a console RPG -- which it would do as it holds something like a 96 per cent stake in Monolith -- I don't see the downside of that for Creatures or Game Freak. Maybe Game Freak would be morally opposed to something like that because it didn't have enough logos on a mockup poster but who knows.

Sure Nintendo could fund it, however it would have to recoup its development & marketing costs before sharing any of the proceeds with the mentioned companies.

I'm sure TPC would rather finance smaller projects, with a higher ROI :p

Regiruler

Pokemon games have already appeared on others platforms such as PC games, the likes include Pokémon Play It!, licensed to Wizards of the Coast at the time to introduce players to the Pokemon Trading Card Game.

If it benefits all three parties involved, Pokemon will appear on non-Nintendo platforms, as you have seen above; however, a fully-fledged Pokemon game will not appear on mobile or other platforms as it directly affects Nintendo's interests.

Wasn't Wizards separated from the card game entirely after a lawsuit? I know of something similar that happened with Yugioh and Upper Deck.

You're all wrong. Betachu is the best:

Bandai_Pikachu_card.jpg

vinnygambini

Wasn't Wizards separated from the card game entirely after a lawsuit? I know of something similar that happened with Yugioh and Upper Deck.

Wizards of the Coast purchased the Pokemon license from Nintendo to co-develop & distribute Pokemon TCG in the North American market in the early years of the franchise.

Several years later, Nintendo revoked the license from Wizards of the Coast and then Pokemon USA, TPC, took over the duties (a lawsuit ensued between both these entities as you mentioned)

jholmes

Sure Nintendo could fund it, however it would have to recoup its development & marketing costs before sharing any of the proceeds with the mentioned companies.

I'm sure TPC would rather finance smaller projects, with a higher ROI :p

Nintendo's ROI is selling some hardware and I don't see why TPC gives a damn about Nintendo paying its own subsidiary more money than it'd make to create a game.

I agree with your larger points but I don't think TPC is saying Monolith can't make a Pokemon game because they think it's a poor investment for Nintendo. I think this isn't happening for other reasons (chiefly Monolith is making a Xenoblade game right now, but anything beyond that is just baseless speculation as for all we know the thought hasn't even occured to them)

Wizards of the Coast purchased the Pokemon license from Nintendo to co-develop & distribute Pokemon TCG in the North American market in the early years of the franchise.

Several years later, Nintendo revoked the license from Wizards of the Coast and then Pokemon USA, TPC, took over the duties (a lawsuit ensued between both these entities as you mentioned)

The lawsuit in fact came from Nintendo hiring 7 key employees, very key folks including the Art Director and a manager IIRC. And Nintendo were accused of obtaining trade secrets from them I believe. It was settled out of court IIRC.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
huh, what was the lawsuit about?

EDIT

The lawsuit in fact came from Nintendo hiring 7 key employees, very key folks including the Art Director and a manager IIRC. And Nintendo were accused of obtaining trade secrets from them I believe. It was settled out of court IIRC.

Ah this is interesting. So I guess bad blood happened.

huh, what was the lawsuit about?

EDIT

Ah this is interesting. So I guess bad blood happened.

Sort of, this came right after Nintendo for whatever reason chose not to extend the partnership in 2003, just in time for EX Ruby & Sapphire's release. 2 planned sets got axed in the process; Jamboree, and Legendary Collection 2.

Jamboree apparently had promo and retail materials all set, but we never saw those, not even the logo. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

They were hired by Pokémon USA, not Nintendo. Nintendo was sued because they were the one granting the license.

Google brings up several reports from the time. Here's one:

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2003/10/13/story2.html?page=all

Zalman

Regarding Creatures Inc.: I forgot where I read this, but if I remember correctly, the reason why they essentially own 1/3 of the franchise is that they helped funding the first Pokémon games. Pokémon was a huge risk for Game Freak, and they wouldn't have been able to complete the games without Creatures' help. They did ask for a huge chunk of the franchise rights in return, however. I'm pretty sure this is true, but hopefully someone has an actual source on this.

Side note: Nintendo originally weren't sold on the idea of Pokémon, but Miyamoto believed in it and essentially oversaw the project. He was also the one who came up with the idea of releasing two versions to promote trading.

Busaiku

The output hasn't really changed that much.
These do generally seem to be smaller in scope though, with only Gates to Infinity being a really "big" title.
Though now there's Pokken, and that Detective Pikachu game might still exist.

JoeM86

Someone light the Joe signal!

Haha, we discussed doing this earlier. He had access to some materials I lack so more logical for him to go forward while I was sleeping :p

True, but also they never did anything of the sort on Wii when it sold gangbusters where a big game could've been a ginormous seller. Instead after Battle Revolution's rush for launch and showing it, all we had after at retail were the two PokePark games. Not exactly a showing of ambition.

And technically, do half of the games Nintendo put on Wii U look like big hits? I don't think so. :p But Nintendo does it anyway because they try new things and have real ambition. Bayo 2 wasn't picked up for its sales potential, same goes for greenlighting the port of the original. :p And it got critical acclaim on virtually every site.

Also Bayo 2 has 21 scores of 100, Pokemon X only has 2 100 scores. Juuuuuuust saying. They saw a winner of a game. :)

POINT BEING. If Nintendo sees huge potential in a game, they will fund it. So I don't see why a Pokemon Wii U RPG by Monolith would be a bad choice at least since Pokemon is a huge IP and does have huge selling potential, even on Wii U.

Oh and I always see people begging for a Pokemon MMO (not that I want that, I actually really don't). I think Game Freak vastly underestimate the desires of their fanbase.

Not to mention that since Wi-Fi, the series has become less reliant on portability, at the very least exclusively. I'm not saying we can't have portable games, obviously that's the franchise's bread and butter, but big steps should be taken. And quite frankly I'm tired of Game Freak's mainline games. Yeah I said it. :( I still get uber excited when a new gen is announced, so there's that. XD

I believe this year is to be the year of spin-offs since we're not getting a main series title this year.

We actually have a 3DS one due out in the next few months (unless it got canned/delayed) which isn't a puzzle title, and certainly isn't small.

Spin-off titles haven't diminished lately. In fact, they have increased.

It's time for a "Joe lists things" list :p For the purposes of sanity, I'm not including the Battle Sim series or utilities like Box and including developer just for curiosity sake.

Gen 1 Spin-offs (1996 - 1999)

Pokémon Snap (Developer: HAL Laboratory & Softnica)
Pokémon Pinball (Developer: Jupiter)
Pokémon TCG GB (Developer: Hudson Soft)
Hey You! Pikachu (Developer: Ambrella)

Total: 4

Gen 2 Spin-offs (1999-2002)

Pokémon Puzzle League (Developer: Nintendo Software Technology /Intelligent Systems)
Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (Developer: Nintendo Software Technology /Intelligent Systems)
Pokémon Card Game GB 2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket (Developer: Hudson Soft) - Note: This game came out at the time of the WotC and PUSA split which is almost certainly why it never came here

Total: 3

Gen 3 Spin-offs (2002-2006)

Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire (Developer: Jupiter)
Pokémon Channel (Developer: Ambrella)
Pokémon Dash (Developer: Ambrella)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Red & Blue Rescue Team (Developer: Chunsoft)
Pokémon Ranger (Developer: HAL Laboratory)
Pokémon Trozei (Developer: Genius Sonority)

Total: 7

Gen 4 Spin-offs (2006-2010)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Time & Darkness (Developer: Chunsoft)
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (Developer: Creatures Inc.)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky (Developer: Chunsoft)
Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs (Developer: Creatures Inc.)
PokéPark Wii - Pikachu's Adventure (Developer: Creatures Inc.)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blazing, Stormy & Light Adventure Squad (Developer: Chunsoft)
Pokémon Rumble (Developer: Ambrella)

Total: 10

Gen 5 Spin-offs (2010-2013)

Pokémon Dream Radar (Yeah I'm counting it) (Developer: Game Freak & Creatures Inc.)
Pokémon Rumble Blast (Developer: Ambrella)
Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure (Developer: Genius Sonority)
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond (Developer: Creatures Inc.)
Pokémon Conquest (Developer: Koei Tecmo)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Developer: Spike Chunsoft)
Pokémon Rumble U (Developer: Ambrella)

Total: 7

Gen 6 Spin-offs (2013-Present)

Pokémon Battle Trozei (Developer: Genius Sonority)
Pokémon Art Academy (Developer: Headstrong Games) - Note: This is the first Pokémon game developed outside of Japan
The Band of Thieves & 1000 Pokémon (Developer: Marvelous AQL)
Pokémon Shuffle (Developer: Genius Sonority)
Pokkén Tournament (Developer: Bandai Namco)
The Great Detective Pikachu (Developer: ???)

Total: 6

So yeah, not exactly diminished, in fact it's up on the years when Pokémon was at its "prime". Home console titles are also equally scarce.

Also, a Wii U Pokémon RPG doesn't have potential in GF/Nintendo's eyes because it's not portable, and portability is key for Pokémon.

ash_ag

What is Creatures Inc role?

Creatures Inc. aided in the development of the original Pokemon games, and continue to do so to this day in some fashion (PokePark, Pokedex 3D). They could be seen as co-developers, they compliment Game Freak and assist in "producing" Pokemon. They also do 3D Character models but now, most of their attention is on the Pokemon Trading Game.

Here is a very old (and important) interview regarding Ishihara's involvement with Satoshi Tajiri and Game Freak. My understanding is that Ishihara worked very closely with Game Freak at the time Red and Green were being developed. He was in Shigesato Itoi's company Ape at the time, and it was decided that because Tajiri was too concerned with the game itself, Ishihara would manage the franchise outside that scope.

He eventually founded Creatures (Ape's successor, but not the same company) to do just that, and the result of that was the successful merchandising of the IP. Ishihara became the person to authorise or deny ideas the many developers and manufacturers would pitch, while Tajiri and Game Freak would continue to put their focus exclusively on the games. To this day, Creatures develops (as opposed to just managing) the Trading Card Game and several Pokémon toys and merchandise. So, it's not just a software company.

Also, take this with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure The Pokémon Company was initially established in 1998 for the exclusive purpose of managing the Pokémon Center stores. Some of their current responsibilities were more of a Creatures job until ~2000. In fact, the company's original name was Pokémon Center, Inc. They changed their scope to be a more general manager of the Pokémon license around 2000-2001, which is also when they changed their name and when Ishihara became the TPC president.

Ishihara's importance for the franchise's success is often understated. Tajiri/Ishihara's combination is not unlike Lennon/McCourtney or Jobs/Wozniak. If it wasn't for either of them, Pokémon simply wouldn't be what it is today.

Edit:

Might also be worth mentioning to say where Genius Sonority and Ambrella sit on this. The former is in the exclusive position of being the only software developer to be co-owned by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company (in addition to Manabu Yamana). The situation is a big weirder for Ambrella. Initially, a company named Marigul was co-funded by Nintendo and Recruit (the latter having majority stake). Then, Ambrella (and Noise) were co-funded by Nintendo and Marigul. Marigul was eventually liquified, but I'm not sure who took the remaining stake of Ambrella after that.

JoeM86

Also, take this with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure The Pokémon Company was initially established in 1998 for the exclusive purpose of managing the Pokémon Center stores. Some of their current responsibilities were more of a Creatures job until ~2000. In fact, the company's original name was Pokémon Center, Inc. They changed their scope to be a more general manager of the Pokémon license around 2000-2001, which is also when they changed their name and when Ishihara became the TPC president.

Yep, you are absolutely 100% correct.
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/corporate/en/history/

Got a corporate history here.

Might also be worth mentioning to say where Genius Sonority and Ambrella sit on this. The former is in the exclusive position of being the only software developer to be co-owned by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company (in addition to Manabu Yamana). The situation is a big weirder for Ambrella. Initially, a company named Marigul was co-funded by Nintendo and Recruit (the latter having majority stake). Then, Ambrella (and Noise) were co-funded by Nintendo and Marigul. Marigul was eventually liquified, but I'm not sure who took the remaining stake of Ambrella after that.

Yeah, that is also very noteworthy. Technically, The Pokémon Company owns part of Denpa Men. It's so hilariously convoluted.

Ishihara's importance for the franchise's success is often understated. Tajiri/Ishihara's combination is not unlike Lennon/McCourtney or Jobs/Wozniak. If it wasn't for either of them, Pokémon simply wouldn't be what it is today.

Yeah. Even I wasn't certain on the level of his involvement until October 2013 when I watched The Professionals. It really illuminated things for me.

This is also why I tend to laugh through my nose whenever people just go "WHY DOESN'T NINTENDO JUST PUT POKEMON ON WII U"

Because it's not their call, entirely.

It would be a massive undertaking that would have to get two other companies on board who don't especially want to put their games on a system with a low install base at ten times the cost.
You mean the core title, correct? Because Nintendo develops and publishes plenty of Pokemon games for their consoles.

JoeM86

You mean the core title, correct? Because Nintendo develops and publishes plenty of Pokemon games for their consoles.

Publishes? Yes.

Develops? Not quite. They have oversight like they often do other developers working on their IP and aid Game Freak at times, but Nintendo hasn't actually developed a Pokémon title themselves. Closest was NST working with Intelligent Systems on Pokémon Puzzle League/Challenge.

ash_ag

Plus the three Pokémon Stadium, which were a co-production of EAD and HAL. But yeah, those were eons ago... :p

jholmes

I didn't know this and it's headache-inducing. I had thought Game Freak or someone else in TPC had it in for Genius Sonority with the lack of Colosseum games and all these damn Denpa Men sequels, but they own a stake? Arrgh whyyy

vinnygambini

JoeM86

I didn't know this and it's headache-inducing. I had thought Game Freak or someone else in TPC had it in for Genius Sonority with the lack of Colosseum games and all these damn Denpa Men sequels, but they own a stake? Arrgh whyyy

I'd say they let Genius Sonority be the most experimental, with the F2P model in Denpamen & Pokémon Shuffle, and even then shockingly amazing Edutainment DS game, Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure.

So it's on the flipside :)

Seriously, I was stunned at how awesome LwP:TA was. Not just the gameplay (which gets brutal), but the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtl6MY7UEo

jholmes

I'd say they let Genius Sonority be the most experimental, with the F2P model in Denpamen & Pokémon Shuffle, and even then shockingly amazing Edutainment DS game, Learn with Pokémon: Typing Adventure.

So it's on the flipside :)

Seriously, I was stunned at how awesome LwP:TA was. Not just the gameplay (which gets brutal), but the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtl6MY7UEo

That's a very glass-half-full way of looking at it. I'd say they're ruining them with annual Denpa Men games and rote IAP puzzlers but I enjoy your sunshiny alternative.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The situation is a big weirder for Ambrella. Initially, a company named Marigul was co-funded by Nintendo and Recruit (the latter having majority stake). Then, Ambrella (and Noise) were co-funded by Nintendo and Marigul. Marigul was eventually liquified, but I'm not sure who took the remaining stake of Ambrella after that.

Also worth mentioning that Recruit's publishing arm, Media Factory, used to handle the sales activity of the Pokémon card game in Japan before transferring those responsibilities to The Pokémon Company around the Diamond and Pearl era. I imagine it was something like a Wizards of the Coast -> Pokémon USA situation, but without the lawsuit. Definitely a complicated relationship across a wide variety of partners.

JoeM86

That's a very glass-half-full way of looking at it. I'd say they're ruining them with annual Denpa Men games and rote IAP puzzlers but I enjoy your sunshiny alternative.

That would imply that they're forcing Denpa Men to be annual and force the free to play. That is not the case.

Even though Nintendo and TPC own a stake in Genius Sonority, they don't have majority control, even together.

Genius Sonority makes its own decisions, and with Pokémon, like all Pokémon games, they propose ideas to The Pokémon Company and then develop. We saw the development of Battle Trozei through this in The Professionals, and it was interesting.

I wish they'd let Ambrella make a true Hey You Pikachu 2, as much as I loved Pokemon Channel (I said it), it didn't have the freedom and true to life Pokemon anime feel where you're actually exploring the world and interacting with Pikachu, and the item collecting was amazing. I was sad you couldn't take home Togepi. :(

It was so ahead of it's time and with the microphone also. Hell even a Nintendogs-style game (they toyed with that idea in Pokemon Dash's title screen).

I'm tired of Rumble games. Honestly Rumble U feels like the peak. I don't think they can do more than just add more Pokemon. At least they do one per system. So they have to be doing something new. I do remember that patent that mentioned them for some handheld thing a while back. But hopefully they have a legit non-Rumble (and non-low poly model based for that matter) game in development. They had the same theme since Pokemon Ranch and that was in late 2007 or early 2008.

We saw the development of Battle Trozei through this in The Professionals, and it was interesting.

You mentioned this twice, what is this? Never heard of it. :)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Publishes? Yes.

Develops? Not quite. They have oversight like they often do other developers working on their IP and aid Game Freak at times, but Nintendo hasn't actually developed a Pokémon title themselves. Closest was NST working with Intelligent Systems on Pokémon Puzzle League/Challenge.

Rather inaccurate.

EAD developed Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Statdium 2, Pokemon Stadium 3, Pokemon Mini Shocking Tetris, Pokemon Mini Snorlax Lunch, and Pokemon Box. NST also developed Pokemon Puzzle League. Actually, EAD was also rumored to be working on Meowth's Party / Pokemon Party for the GameCube before it was canceled. Then, Nintendo developed Pokemotion (an electronic toy), and just recently published a line of Pokemon cards independent from TPC bearing only the Nintendo logo.

JoeM86

I'm still waiting for Creatures Inc's latest solo Pokémon video game project. They've released nothing since Pokédex 3D Pro in 2012. Fingers crossed for PokéPark U, but I think their next one is Great Detective Pikachu.

You mentioned this twice, what is this? Never heard of it. :)

It's a Japanese television show that focuses on the day-to-day life of various top professionals in Japan. In October 2013, it showcased Tsunekazu Ishihara.

In it, it showed him going through various parts of day to day life, family etc., but then showcased what he did at The Pokémon Company, including the discussion of game proposals from others. An example of this was the game that became Pokémon Battle Trozei. It showed them discuss what to do with the big empty space around the Trozei box that exists due to the top screen being larger. It also showed how he gets involved in development with a segment of them focusing on the motion capture technology they're using for the first time for the 3DS title, Great Detective Pikachu, which, as of August 2013, was set for a Summer 2015 launch.

Rather inaccurate.

EAD developed Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Statdium 2, Pokemon Stadium 3, Pokemon Mini Shocking Tetris, Pokemon Mini Snorlax Lunch, and Pokemon Box. NST also developed Pokemon Puzzle League. Actually, EAD was also rumored to be working on Meowth's Party / Pokemon Party for the GameCube before it was canceled. Then, Nintendo developed Pokemotion (an electronic toy), and just recently published a line of Pokemon cards independent from TPC bearing only the Nintendo logo.

Yeah I had already been corrected on that :p My mind blanked out the Stadiums since I didn't include them in the spin-off list. I also did list Puzzle League. The other things you listed don't really change my point at all. I never said Nintendo does nothing.

Publishes? Yes.

EAD developed Pokemon Stadium and my comment still stands. Pokemon games are plentiful on the home consoles. The Wii had a stadium game, the downloadable games and the PokePark games. As far as development on the handheld side, HAL Labs developed the Ranger series as well. So Nintendo has developed several Pokemon games.

Edit: Ninja'd.

vinnygambini

EAD developed Pokemon Stadium and my comment still stands. Pokemon games are plentiful on the home consoles. The Wii had a stadium game, the downloadable games and the PokePark games. As far as development on the handheld side, HAL Labs developed the Ranger series as well. So Nintendo has developed several Pokemon games.

HAL and Creatures both worked on Ranger 1 only. HAL left afterward leaving Creatures for the sequels on their own.

JoeM86

Edit: Ninja'd.

Technically the only games they developed weren't developed just by them so with pedanticness, my statement is still factual :p, but yeah I conceded that I forgot the Stadiums development hours ago.

I never said Pokémon was never on home console, though...

Do you have a recording of it?

I've tried finding on the web sadly, nothing came up

Alas, I do not. Sorry

ash_ag

HAL and Creatures both worked on Ranger 1 only. HAL left afterward leaving Creatures for the sequels on their own.

Here is a fun trivia: Ranger 1's plot is penned by Game Freak's Toshinobu Matsumiya -- the writer of the main games. This is exactly why the game felt so complementary to Diamond and Pearl and had references to the main series. The first game was thought to be the first spin-off (outside Box and such) to be canon in the main games universe for a while. The situation eventually became a bit trickier, when Ranger 2 and 3 (not by Matsumiya) introduced many contradicting elements.

Yes! I always try to explain the whole Pokémon deal to people that think it's pure Nintendo. However I lacked the knowledge to be certain about what I was saying, so this article is a great read. Especially when that TCG for iOs got announced and people would get excited over Nintendo going mobile. Obviously Nintendo would never let a full Pokémon game hit other platforms, but this kind of app was able to slip through. Really interesting stuff.

JoeM86

Here is a fun trivia: Ranger 1's plot is penned by Game Freak's Toshinobu Matsumiya -- the writer of the main games. This is exactly why the game felt so complementary to Diamond and Pearl and had references to the main series. The first game was thought to be the first spin-off (outside Box and such) to be canon in the main games universe for a while. The situation eventually became a bit trickier, when Ranger 2 and 3 (not by Matsumiya) introduced many contradicting elements.

There was serious Pokémon Ranger tie-ins with the first two. The anime and movies pushed it hard which they seldom ever do with spin-offs. Only other one that comes to mind is Pokémon Snap.

jholmes

That would imply that they're forcing Denpa Men to be annual and force the free to play. That is not the case.

Even though Nintendo and TPC own a stake in Genius Sonority, they don't have majority control, even together.

Genius Sonority makes its own decisions, and with Pokémon, like all Pokémon games, they propose ideas to The Pokémon Company and then develop. We saw the development of Battle Trozei through this in The Professionals, and it was interesting.

I'm not necessarily saying they're forcing them to do that. I am saying though that they're not doing damn well enough to stop it.

a916

So as it stands

Nintendo own 33%
Creatures Inc own 33%
GAME FREAK own 34%

The Pokemon Company is a joint venture that likely has a board built of members of each company that decide each and every fate of Pokemon.

Pretty simple.

Ah, I was wondering what would stop MS coming in and buying out a majority but I guess not.

Top Bottom