• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Franchise: Who's that Pokemon Owner?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Technically the only games they developed weren't developed just by them so with pedanticness, my statement is still factual :p, but yeah I conceded that I forgot the Stadiums development hours ago.

The Stadium games were done by EAD. You can cross-reference the entire staff and they are long-time EAD members. The only contract staff were the "Pokemon Center Modelers" which was a group hired by Nintendo to work on 3D models on a temp basis. Also those Pokemon Mini games were developed purely in-house as well.

Nightbird

I love how people won't stop quoting Joe on that EAD Post.

You'd better edit that, saying that you've been already corrected Joe :p

JoeM86

I love how people won't stop quoting Joe on that EAD Post.

You'd better edit that saying, that you've been already corrected Joe :p

Indeed. I was corrected within minutes of my brainfart, yet hours later... :p

Ah, I was wondering what would stop MS coming in and buying out a majority but I guess not.

They'd have to be willing to sell for one, which they won't be.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Not even for the right price?

And what would they gain from the transaction? They would buy a shell of a company.

Nintendo own the Pokemon logo and character name trademarks - can't develop a game or any product for that matter (merchandising, movies, etc.) without featuring the mentioned.

Game Freak & Creatures Inc. can't develop a Pokemon game without Nintendo's consent and vice versa.

JoeM86

I don't know what your statement has to do with what you quoted. I also don't know why one million downloads of free software would impress you.

Well it's that they are doing well with it. It's not like they're publishing stinker after stinker. There's a reason why Denpa Men has had multiple sequels before the free version

Not even for the right price?

You'd may as well be asking for Zelda to be bought from Nintendo. Even if GF is bought out, which is unlikely, Pokémon wouldn't be able to shift from Nintendo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a random tidbit, Toho is the official distributor of Pokemon movies in Japan, and apparently lent some of their monster voices for the 8-bit cries in Pokemon.

Neoxon

Thanks OP for clearing up my confusions about the Pokémon ownership situation. I literally looked it up & ended up getting all of the info I needed in this thread.

That being said, the Amiibo situation concerning Nintendo being unable to use the Pokémon Amiibos in other games may mean that Nintendo doesn't have as much control over the franchise as we think.

Richie

What I wonder is, if the bulk of Pokémon's profits go to Nintendo, how on Earth did they manage to have two years in the red recently? Surely Pokémon generates a freakin' massive load of money off merchandising, even if it had to be split in three?

(It's past midnight here and I may be makin' a very stupid question, think of it as shower thoughts)

spekkeh

Banned
Apparently it's not a subsidiary (would it otherwise have to be in the books? can you own a majority stake with no voting rights, none of this makes sense), I guess GiantBomb is wrong.

Top Bottom