• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

You mean like Lavender Town in the original? Also, I don't really see the Earthbound comparison.

All the npcs were super weird and it was mostly just an upbeat game that didnt take itself seriously with lots of weird creatures.

that and your mother is sitting at home waiting for you to get back :)

I already explained im ok with lavender town, thats not at all what I meant.

edit: what the fuck^

8E2XliQpMETr.jpg

Well. That was super effective.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
To nip back to the Mega/Regional Variants/Z-Move/Ultra Beasts discussion -

I'm more than happy with Regional Variants. It makes sense and it's really cool seeing older, less popular Pokemon get some time to shine. I think they'll be a staple from now, as not only does it offer a Pokemon a new form without being overpowered like Megas, they also sell merchandise like hot cakes.

As for if we'll see any new ones in Ultra SM? I hope so.
I could see them sticking to Kanto and giving the likes of Arbok, Dewgong, and maybe even the fossils one, but it would be great to see some Johto love with GC coming to the VC. Johto is a weirdly overlooked generation in terms of promotion. Its a massive fan favourite, but the Johto Pokemon barely get anything new these days. Seeing as the starters are yet to get a Mega, Alolan forms could be a way to go, and I know many people whose opinion about this game would change massively if an Alolan Typhlosion was present.
While starters are synonymous with their type, perhaps a Regional Variant of them could just add/alter a second typing so they don't disrupt that classic image. A Water/Dragon Feraligatr for example.

As for Megas, I'm really not sure anymore.
They whole concept of them was to give a breath of fresh air to older Pokemon, but the Regional Variants accomplish this without changing up the meta so much. Coupled with the fact that most of Pokemon who originally got one didn't really need one, such as Garchomp, Rayquaza, etc, the damning dex entries in SM, the lack of them featured in the main campaign, and no new ones revealed for Gen 7, I think Game Freak want the Regional Variants to take their place and sweep Megas under the rug.
I could be wrong though, as they were popular and had a lot of promotion. They could be saving up new ones for Ultra SM, giving them to the Alola starters to build hype, but if none are revealed this time, I can't see them appearing again.
Those dex entires are too hard to overlook just for the sheer difference in their lore between Gen 6 and 7.

Z-Moves are here to stay I reckon.
They, again, take the concept of Megas in giving a Pokemon a truly unique identity in the form of special move. They're flashy, kids love them, and it made the game harder with NPCs having access to them, which is good in my book. I haven't watched much of the anime yet but I imagine they make great spectacles to watch too.

Ultra Beasts I'm assuming are Alola exclusive and act as a substitute for legendaries, just without that moniker. They allow for different aesthetic approach from past legendaries thanks to their alien nature, and catching them doesn't seem as far fetched as catching literal gods as in past games, as they're only a bunch of aliens.
They're a great addition, but thanks to their heavy plot involvement and ties to Alola, and dividing designs, I can't see them sticking about after Gen 7.

Z-Moves are here to stay I reckon.
They, again, take the concept of Megas in giving a Pokemon a truly unique identity in the form of special move. They're flashy, kids love them, and it made the game harder with NPCs having access to them, which is good in my book. I haven't watched much of the anime yet but I imagine they make great spectacles to watch too.

Those are also weird in mood dissonance. Ill be in a restaurant fighting other trainers by throwing mountain sized boulders at the opponents creatures.
Watch the next games change them to be some kind of abusive mess like Mega evolutions are now considered.

at least the anime realized theyre ridiculous

JoeM86

So I noticed something weird with the Japanese press pack

The screenshots included are at the unusual 384x230 resolution rather than 400x240. Unfortunately, due to JPEG compression I can't pixel count them to see if they've been resized or not.

It makes me wonder if this was an error on the part of their PR, or perhaps it's going to run at a slightly lower resolution for a slight increase in performance.

Also, for what it's worth, Mega Evolutions aren't going anywhere. They don't need to add new ones to keep them. Removing them would be an incredibly odd decision. They're essentially new forms of Pokémon which, to The Pokémon Company, are new Pokémon in themselves. They wouldn't remove new Pokémon.

The screenshots included are at the unusual 384x230 resolution rather than 400x240. Unfortunately, due to JPEG compression I can't pixel count them to see if they've been resized or not.

It makes me wonder if this was an error on the part of their PR, or perhaps it's going to run at a slightly lower resolution for a slight increase in performance.

Also, for what it's worth, Mega Evolutions aren't going anywhere. They don't need to add new ones to keep them. Removing them would be an incredibly odd decision. They're essentially new forms of Pokémon which, to The Pokémon Company, are new Pokémon in themselves. They wouldn't remove new Pokémon.
XD001

FZZ

Banned

Joe what are your thoughts on the 4chan post?

Found it!

HmprZ47.png

It got the release date wrong by a week, though.

Any chance there could be a Switch announcement of Eclipse or a 3rd version at E3?

JoeM86

Any chance there could be a Switch announcement of Eclipse or a 3rd version at E3?

I mean anything is possible, but that post got so much wrong.

If you do some searching, a lot of people had hypothesised the use of the Ultra adjective as prefix for the next game. We'll have to wait and see.

Delio

Hmm would it be noticeable to just a casual viewer if it was slightly lower?

Zalman

While I'm surprised the rumors were wrong after the people involved doubled down on them so much, I personally don't mind this being on 3DS. I still love and play my 3DS, and it's not like the game would have been improved significantly on Switch. It's still a 3DS game at heart.

What I'm curious about is what they will do next year. Will it be another gap year while they prepare for a new gen in 2019? Or will they release D/P remakes on 3DS?

Seiniyta

Hmm would it be noticeable to just a casual viewer if it was slightly lower?

on the larger XL screens the game would probably look noticeably more blurry/more jaggies.

This honestly, doesn't bode too well. ugh.

And this won't make the game run better if the lower resolution is a thing. it's just to keep the performance on par as they improve the textures and foliage. But I personally rather had the same visual qualities and better performance. Of course this is early and it could easily be a press mistake.

JoeM86

While I'm surprised the rumors were wrong after the people involved doubled down on them so much, I personally don't mind this being on 3DS. I still love and play my 3DS, and it's not like the game would have been improved significantly on Switch. It's still a 3DS game at heart.

What I'm curious about is what they will do next year. Will it be another gap year while they prepare for a new gen in 2019? Or will they release D/P remakes on 3DS?

I'm thinking gap year

HotHamBoy

If I'm Nintendo I sell you Sun and Moon again on 3DS before i sell it to you a third time on Switch next year.

Contrary to what Gaf may feel, a port of Sun and Moon is not going to sell Switch systems like a new entry would. The majority of the audience has a 3DS and isn't going to buy a new system for a port.

Murkas

So is this game a sequel like Black/White 2 or an expansion like Monster Hunter G/Ultimate?

Never played Sun/Moon so if it's the second option, will probably get.

Piers

If I'm Nintendo I sell you Sun and Moon again on 3DS before i sell it to you a third time on Switch next year.

Contrary to what Gaf may feel, a port of Sun and Moon is not going to sell Switch systems like a new entry would. The majority of the audience has a 3DS and isn't going to buy a new system for a port.

But new audiences

JoeM86

So is this game a sequel like Black/White 2 or an expansion like Monster Hunter G/Ultimate?

Never played Sun/Moon so if it's the second option, will probably get.

We're not sure yet, but it seems like it's a retelling with a new story and loads of improvements and enhancements.

Closer to Platinum than Black 2 & White 2, but still significantly different.

Murkas

We're not sure yet, but it seems like it's a retelling with a new story and loads of improvements and enhancements.

Closer to Platinum than Black 2 & White 2, but still significantly different.

That's sounds cool, will be more interested in that.

Adrian121

So will Pokemon be following us in this version? If not, I wonder why they bothered to make the walking animations for every single Pokemon for Sun/Moon and then never implement them for use.

Top Bottom