• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

It's a Pokémon game. The story was never going to rise above trite cliché. Lillie being moderately less bad than XY's entourage still doesn't lift her out of the realms of being shite; and there's way more dialogue with her than I ever wanted.
Yo get this out of here. Lillie was such a huge surprise for me. Love her and Hau.

Also, bring on more story. Bring on more cutscenes. Bring it all on.

DNAbro

Yo get this out of here. Lillie was such a huge surprise for me. Love her and Hau.

Also, bring on more story. Bring on more cutscenes. Bring it all on.

Sun and Moon are the first games in the series where I pretty much loved the whole cast. Lillie, Gladion, Hau, Kukui, and all the villains were great. Trial Captains and Kahunas were fun too. Especially Nanu. Who can dislike that guy?

X and Y are ultra shit.

One of these days I'm actually going to go back to my copy of Black 2 and finish it. I honestly wonder how well it stands up nowadays. Until then, I must push forward on Moon.

I have a hard time playing older Pokemon games. It's entirely psychological and strictly to my own detriment, but I've never been able to overcome it.

Pokemon is extremely iterative. Types change, stats change, move sets change, mechanics change, and all these changes accumulate into pretty significant differences. Major alterations to the formula like the physical/special split, or the rebalancing of the type chart, fundamentally alter how different Pokemon function. To me, Pokemon themselves feel almost like software that are continually being updated to create a superior user experience. Playing older versions of Pokemon doesn't just feel outdated to me, it feels incorrect.

I'm playing Red right now because I want a Zapdos in SuMo and I'm having a really difficult time. Not because the tech is dated - that doesn't bother me at all. It's because Gust is a Normal type move instead of Flying. It's because Poison Pokemon are weak to Bug instead of resisting it. There are no held items. No abilities. No Steel, Dark, or Fairy Pokemon. Things are so different that I have to play the game by its original rules and it feels lacking to me. It feels incorrect.

I'll stress again that this is 100% a personal problem. I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with older Pokemon games. My curse is that any Pokemon that I miss when it's new becomes a game I'll never play. Even now, as much as I love SuMo, I know I will never touch it again as soon as Generation VIII comes out.

I wish I could play Black and White/2. But I just can't. It feels bad to play.

Hau is characterized by his optimism in the face of difficulties and challenges. He is humble and greets every new face as a friend regardless of how they treat him. Although tropey, his love for simple things like desserts depicts him as a young man with simple, grounded pleasures. He is self-actualized and comfortable as himself, and this shows in his moderate aspirations. Although it seems clear to others he will follow in the footsteps of grandfather Hala, he is content to take his journey at the pace that suits him.

Hau's arc is that he continually has his positivity challenged until he is met with something that genuinely makes him sad: Lillie leaves Alola. While not explicit, there is implication he has a crush on Lillie that is not reciprocated. It is very difficult for him to say goodbye to her. For the first time, he shows sadness and can be seen moping on the pier.

This is Hau's defining character moment. We see him sad, we see him crying, and we see that Hau has feelings and emotions he does not always let out. With Lillie's departure fresh on his heart, he can either relish in his depression or he can continue staying positive and be excited for his friend. Hau stands up, wipes away his tears, and puts on a smile.

Hau's character is a construct of positive attitude. He is meant to illustrate that how you look at things affects how they affect you. Even when it is difficult to do so, Hau seeks optimism.

I first played SuMo in November 2016. You can probably imagine why a character like that would be comforting to an American like me.

Im not sure what happened in November but I can understand finding simple things effective. I just actually didn't remember much about the game other than the Aether stuff.

Alpha_eX

I don't understand why this wasn't DLC, the name doesn't really differentiate it much and it looks the same. I didn't play too much of Sun/Moon but this to me, doesn't look much different.

I think they are going to struggle to resell the same game with a new story/enhancements to those who only bought the game last year, rather than offer a $20 DLC option.

Just my thought, weird approach.

I don't understand why this wasn't DLC, the name doesn't really differentiate it much and it looks the same. I didn't play too much of Sun/Moon but this to me, doesn't look much different.

I think they are going to struggle to resell the same game with a new story/enhancements to those who only bought the game last year, rather than offer a $20 DLC option.

I mean, it's not like selling an old game with minor content additions is a new strategy for Game Freak.

Well, Game Freak always does this. They've been doing this for 25 years. This is how Pokemon games work. Lots of people, like me, specifically look forward to the deluxe version of Pokemon games.

To their credit, games like Emerald and Platinum make massive and mandatory revisions to the base games. They become the definitive experience. Diamond and Pearl, in particular, feel like a rough draft compared to Platinum's final form.

We have no idea how extensive the differences will be in Ultra SuMo. We have seen less than a minute worth of footage and its been very restrictive. But I expect Ultra SuMo will be the definitive versions of these games as well.

Whether or not Game Freak should switch to the DLC model is a point of contention. But the changes made to "third versions" are significant enough to necessitate a replay. If you simply downloaded the new content, you wouldn't be able to experience most of it without restarting your game. Since Pokemon is a series that's sort of based on your games communicating with each other, players like to preserve their previous campaigns so they can migrate its content to new ones.

I know, in my case, I would rather a completely new game. I feel like the changes would be far more moderate in the DLC model. I think anybody who says "this should have just been DLC" probably isn't familiar with how different these revisions end up.

I have a hard time playing older Pokemon games. It's entirely psychological and strictly to my own detriment, but I've never been able to overcome it.

Pokemon is extremely iterative. Types change, stats change, move sets change, mechanics change, and all these changes accumulate into pretty significant differences. Major alterations to the formula like the physical/special split, or the rebalancing of the type chart, fundamentally alter how different Pokemon function. To me, Pokemon themselves feel almost like software that are continually being updated to create a superior user experience. Playing older versions of Pokemon doesn't just feel outdated to me, it feels incorrect.

I'm playing Red right now because I want a Zapdos in SuMo and I'm having a really difficult time. Not because the tech is dated - that doesn't bother me at all. It's because Gust is a Normal type move instead of Flying. It's because Poison Pokemon are weak to Bug instead of resisting it. There are no held items. No abilities. No Steel, Dark, or Fairy Pokemon. Things are so different that I have to play the game by its original rules and it feels lacking to me. It feels incorrect.

I'll stress again that this is 100% a personal problem. I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with older Pokemon games. My curse is that any Pokemon that I miss when it's new becomes a game I'll never play. Even now, as much as I love SuMo, I know I will never touch it again as soon as Generation VIII comes out.

I wish I could play Black and White/2. But I just can't. It feels bad to play.

I get what you're saying. I think Gen I/II are easier to get into, for me, because nostalgia pulls me through it--a simpler time, as it were. Since it's in the DS age, I feel like visually it would be harder to get into. Especially with several QOL additions in the 3DS games.

I agree though, once Gen VIII comes out, I will undoubtedly never touch Sun/Moon again. Unless, for some reason, I can actually get a full Pokédex in one of the games.

Smasher89

Yea, DLC is usually just a excuse for more cashgrabs, new iterations of the games are significantly more conten, and in pokemons case, it's not even the same team that work on the first and the second iteration of the same game, since they have 2 teams for the games, alterating the releases.

I just saw this idea on Reddit.

The Dex entry for Pikachu in Sun states "A plan was recently announced to gather many Pikachu and make an electric power plant."

In the base games, the power plant is an area that looks like it would/should be accessible, but is not. You can go to the visitor's center, but there's no way into the area. This is the kind of thing I would expect to be expanded upon in a deluxe edition of the game.

In the trailer for USM, we see a large field of Pikachu just hanging out and being Pikachu. I wonder if it's related to the power plant plans? Maybe we'll actually get to go there in USM.

DNAbro

I just saw this idea on Reddit.

The Dex entry for Pikachu in Sun states "A plan was recently announced to gather many Pikachu and make an electric power plant."

In the base games, the power plant is an area that looks like it would/should be accessible, but is not. You can go to the visitor's center, but there's no way into the area. This is the kind of thing I would expect to be expanded upon in a deluxe edition of the game.

In the trailer for USM, we see a large field of Pikachu just hanging out and being Pikachu. I wonder if it's related to the power plant plans? Maybe we'll actually get to go there in USM.

There are a lot of cool looking locations that you see on the map that end up not being able to go to or are just in the background. Like the golf course or those cool waterfall looking things near the water trial.

There are a lot of cool looking locations that you see on the map that end up not being able to go to or are just in the background. Like the golf course or those cool waterfall looking things near the water trial.

This one is especially interesting. You get to the Elite 4 and there's a Flying trainer you've never met before. She's a brand new character and she's introduced just for her fight, which is different from Sun and Moon as a whole. I wonder if she will have a story, related to the golf course area, in USM. She has a golf club and everything.

DNAbro

This one is especially interesting. You get to the Elite 4 and there's a Flying trainer you've never met before. She's a brand new character and she's introduced just for her fight, which is different from Sun and Moon as a whole. I wonder if she will have a story, related to the golf course area, in USM. She has a golf club and everything.

You can find her in the resort next to the golf course after you become the champion. She says that's where she practices but yeah they don't let you in.

Kyzer

Banned

Have you ever played pokemon before? Do you think Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and B2W2 should have been DLC?

LotusHD

Banned

This is absolutely nothing new though, not to mention we literally know little to nothing about what said new story/enhancements even are.

Smasher89

Ever since Splatoon 2 everything "looks like dlc" (what does that even mean?)
To be fair, splatoon did put up alot of free dlc, then stopped very randomly supporting the game, just to make the content for splatoon "2", seems to be the exact same engine, just new weapons and maps(which is the things that the free dlc content was).

To be fair, splatoon did put up alot of free dlc, then stopped very randomly supporting the game, just to make the content for splatoon "2", seems to be the exact same engine, just new weapons and maps(which is the things that the free dlc content was).

Well it also has new weapon types, customization options, a new story mode and a new Coop mode.....soooo

The real thing that is disappointing me is this is basically a return to the classic third version if the game.

Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and platinum were all alternative sorry versions of the original versions, yet this is split into 2.

Black and white 2 gets away with it as they are squels that continue on the story of the previous games.

Im pissed off because the fact it's basically what stars would have Bern but split over 2 games.

LotusHD

Banned
The real thing that is disappointing me is this is basically a return to the classic third version if the game.

Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and platinum were all alternative sorry versions of the original versions, yet this is split into 2.

Black and white 2 gets away with it as they are squels that continue on the story of the previous games.

Im pissed off because the fact it's basically what stars would have Bern but split over 2 games.

It literally managed to be worse than the worst-case scenario for me lol, which was it being a 3DS exclusive game that's a sequel to S/M, but instead a third version/alternate story that got split into two separate games. D:

Puruzi

Banned
Gamefreak has a pretty great track record with 3rd versions so I'm not even worrying about what this game is gonna have. 100% sure it'll be worth it for me at least

LotusHD

Banned
Gamefreak has a pretty great track record with 3rd versions so I'm not even worrying about what this game is gonna have. 100% sure it'll be worth is for me at least

I don't doubt it, it's just that Sun & Moon was the first time I've ever wanted to see where the story would go from there, namely regarding Lillie, so I'm just disappointed that I'll have to wait even longer to maybe see how, if at all, that gets wrapped up.

Toxi

Banned
One improvement they could make is
changing the final Lusamine battle so you actually fight her Nihilego fusion.

But I doubt they'd do that.

Puruzi

Banned
I don't doubt it, it's just that Sun & Moon was the first time I've ever wanted to see where the story would go from there, namely regarding Lillie, so I'm just disappointed that I'll have to wait even longer to maybe see how, if at all, that gets wrapped up.

Yeah it is a little disappointing that it's not a sequel, but I guess B&W was just an outlier.

Ryan95

The only thing I would anticipate are new Alola Pokemon, but I would be cautious of even that. Most likely, the only new Pokemon will be variations of the legendaries.

I would love Alolan versions of Pokemon from other generations. Even just Generation II would make a big difference. It's kind of a bothersome coincidence that, in universe, only Pokemon from Kanto have adapted to Alola since it was settled even though the island was settled by Kanto and Johto people alike.

And considering G/S are coming to the Virtual Console, a focus on Gen II with new Johto Pokémon Alolan Forms is a concrete possibility, I'd really appreciate that

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Well, if 4chans good for something it's for potential leaks -
1496914166555.jpg
A post made back in March.

The title has the abbreviation for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, stating they'll be 3DS exclusive, with a suspicious line telling nobody to screen cap.

Obviously take with a grain of salt.

New Alolan forms would be brill, so hoping it's real.

Kwame120

Banned
I'm wondering how it's gonna work storywise. Usually an alternate story is reserved for the third version, which ties the stories of the first two versions together, adding importance to the third legendary which wasn't really feautered in the first two games. I'm expecting the latter to occur with Necrozma in USUM, but I wonder what'll replace the tying of versions together? Or will that perhaps not be much of an issue?

Top Bottom