• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun for Nintendo 3DS

Fucking Nintendo never fails to disappoint when it comes to announcements. I'm not expecting much going into E3, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think this means no Pokémon Stars. I just think they didn't want to release a game on the Switch while the demand is way over supply.

Berordn

See I just wish we had more details. Just "an alternate storyline" and "Pokemon who weren't in the last game"? I'm sure we'll get more at E3 but it's just weird that this ended up being 30 seconds of the presentation.

I mean, it's kinda clear what they're doing. Third version is back, and they brought a fourth version with them.

The new legendary formes are altered somehow by Necrozoma, and the story's probably been altered to involve him like how Platinum added Giratina to the mix.

CronoShot

I seriously don't know why anyone expected this for Switch. Look at Black 2 and White 2.

The Pokemon Company doesn't give a shit about new Nintendo hardware. They go where their userbase is.

aett

Was this posted? I don't even care anymore. What's Yokai Watch up to?

Being a surprisingly polished game with a lot of content, but marred with ridiculous RNG elements.

I can almost forgive random yo-kai recruitment - only because DQV was the same way and it makes you adjust your play style accordingly - but when there are multiple quests and other parts in which you are required to have specific yo-kai, it becomes incredibly frustrating.

"This alternate retelling of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon has over 20 additional minutes of Lillie griping about how useless she is."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Beyond the Switch talk I'm miffed as this feels like a cheap cash in based on what they showed/said. Like it feels like just a story reskin?

As someone else said it feels like the laziest 3rd version yet.

Maybe I'm wrong, and they will probably show more. Going off what they did show I can't help but feel this way though.

Kickz

I think that kills off the notion entirely that Nintendo sees the Switch as a 3DS successor. We'll have a new handheld in a couple of years and the next Pokemon will be on that. The Switch is their Wii U successor, not a hybrid.

No just staaaaaaaaaaaahhhpppp

Neoxon

I think the Switch will get a gen 8 mainline, once the install base is there, 3ds has died for good and Gamefreak agrees. So, it will take some time
Given the job listing for a super-popular Game Freak RPG in 2018 for Switch, I suppose this makes sense.

In retrospect, this explains the job listing for a Game Freak 3DS RPG.

Buzzman

Banned
I wonder after the reception of the Switch if they just decided to delay it.
The Switch is already forecasted to be suffering shortages throughout the year, and business-wise I can see why they would rather have Pokémon for next year instead of releasing it now and squander any extra sales it could get.

True Fire

DBpOXMtVwAAwx2f.jpg

necrozma fusion?

Hideous. The only thing that would make it worse is another 20 hour tutorial after we've already played the first atrocity

Scrawnton

It doesnt mean its not happening. I'd do exactly what GameFreak are doing, release it on 3DS later this year and then a Switch port next year. Take everyone to the cleaners.
The irony in that is by doing it this way they're hurting the sales potential of the Switch this holiday. What parents are gonna pick up a Switch for their kids on Black Friday when a brand new Pokémon game is out for a cheaper N2DS XL?

Nintendo has to realize that with their announcement today they are forcing the Switch and 3DS to compete with each other this holiday.

pbayne

so reckon these will skip the e3 conference now. Lol as much ire as its getting Ultra still a pretty big game for them, im sure they'll give it some time probably. Pokken maybe not.

Any info on what exactly these are yet?

It was strange that they said the 'first' Pokemon game coming to the Switch, that and that little graphic at the very end of the US/UM trailer that looked better then 3DS maybe... Nah, screw it.

If Stars is still happening Nintendo is literally trolling the audience right now, I'm assuming they'll be showing this off at E3 next week but that it seems to be both not a sequel but also not a 'third' version is curious. The 'alternate' storyline could be interesting, really need more information on these games because right now it sounds like an extremely cheap cash grab while the 3DS is still being supported.

Also seriously, where the frick is Pokemon Crystal?
They said 'first game' because they'll support it with mainline games in the future. Nothing more to it.

I love Pokemon but I haven't turned on my 3ds in 2 years and honestly I don't feel like this will change anything about that. Really disappointed personally but I hope everyone has fun with these games.

Furanshi

Neo Member
I'm so HYPED! I can't wait to play another game that forces me into double battles so I can watch my frame rate dip into single digits! HYPE!

Game freak waited a long time before they made pokemon games for the 3ds, until they absolutley had to, gut tells
Me they will do the same thing for the switch.

Cartho

It's not really Nintendo to blame here. Sure they could maybe have pressed hard for it but the fact is there has to be a will from GF and we know they're lazy as fuck.

They will fight having to join the modern era for as long as they possibly can. I cannot see why this wasn't brought to Switch and 3DS. The amount of extra work really wouldn't have been huge and it would have sold bucket loads - the attach rate would have been HIGH.

They bet their credibility on Pokémon Stars Switch exclusive for 2017.

Eurogamer was also the first to leak all sorts of details about the Switch, way before it was revealed, so I can't personally say I have a problem with their credibility. However, maybe they have a problem with the credibility of that specific leaker now.

That said, I don't think Stars is completely off the table because of this announcement, though. But it is definitely not looking too great.

I'm happy they're on 3DS, that means I won't have to buy a Switch for another year or two. I really have to see how many changes they're making though, the features they listed weren't exactly mind blowing. Hopefully this is just the third version and Gen VII has another set of games coming too (like D/P remakes), cause if that's it then that's a pretty f'n weak gen.

wartama

Neo Member
It's White & Black 2 all over again. I remember thinking after I bought a 3ds in 2011 why the hell they were still supporting the ds lol. Guess we gotta wait for the next gen to be on the Switch.

That direct though... pure trolling. It broke gaf

Menitta

Oh gamefreak...

That name...is so fucking uncreative.

I'm not buying this. The extra plot stuff is gonna be more cutscenes and just more of what I hate about Sun and Moon. If it's on Switch maybe I'll consider it.

I mean, it's kinda clear what they're doing. Third version is back, and they brought a fourth version with them.

The new legendary formes are altered somehow by Necrozoma, and the story's probably been altered to involve him like how Platinum added Giratina to the mix.

I guess so. I was just thinking about how many plot threads in S/M seemed to be setting themselves up for a sequel so I was hoping for more of a continuation (a la B2/W2) rather than the alternate approach.

Top Bottom