• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon's #1 problem is its utterly insipid writing

uPCku5G.jpg

poor kids

Bulzeeb

They need bad guys for conflict though to drive the adventure forward.

I'd like to see the franchise return to its roots of having a real douche for a rival, I remember not caring much about the story and the like, the idea of facing the trash talking rival you had and beating him just to make him regret facing me was motivation enough to my kid self to keep on going forward with the game
and to spend time power leveling my monsters just to be sure to win

Mr-Joker

Banned
OP kinda has a point though as Game Freak of late have be scaling back on the difficulty and make the game so easy to play that the players doesn't get lost.

I mean in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire they straight up give you an legendary Pokémon for free attached with its mega stone, no other Pokémon games does that barring X and Y with Lucario with his Mega Stone.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I don't think telling a good story is what GameFreak is aiming at with the series. The series' main focus is collecting Pokemons throughout the varied areas, clear dungeons, defeat other trainers and competitive play.

I'm 22, and I don't really have a problem with the writing in Pokemon. I never really have.

I don't feel like the game talks down to me in any way either. It's a simple story. I don't really have a problem with that.

I think that's where I'd disagree the most. What you find to be stupid due to simplicity, I just feel like it's how it is, so I'm not going to put anymore serious thought into it.

When has Pokemon had genuinely good writing anyway? It's got a simple story, in every game. I think it's just how it's going to be. Like the TV show. From the first season to now. It's horribly simple... and it always has been. It's quite obvious gamefreak intends to keep it that way considering it's been that way for years.

Now, I understand the frustration with it. I love Adventure Time and Regular Show, and they do great. But I just think that not everything needs to be that same way for adults and kids to enjoy it.

Adventure Time and Regular Show are.... TV shows... Pixar Movies are... Movies. They RELY on you watching and listening to them to like them. Pokemon is a game, and I feel like it has different goals because of that. Story was never a huge point of Pokemon. It was the Gameplay, Music, Locations and the Adventure. (At least in my opinion)

So that's my thoughts on it I suppose. Sorry if you think it's a dumb or poorly thought out reasoning.

Sesha

As someone who generally dislikes children, it's interesting to see so many posts say that talking down to children is okay because they generally won't know they're being talked down to. Not even that Pokemon is intended for the very young, I get that. But posts that amount to "they're children".

kaioshade

I think a formula that has grown boring and the lack of challenge are its number one problems. But I get your point

As are Pixard and Ghibli movies, and The Last Airbender or Batman the animated series.
Being marketed at kids shouldn't be an excuse to have boring stories and bad writing

Not every show/game is going to have that kind of writing. as i also stated, lowest common denominator.

Dimmle

The earlier games have a pretty charming, childlike voice. X and Y's dialogue was a new low for the series, just devoid of any personality.

JoeM86

As someone who generally dislikes children, it's interesting to see so many posts say that talking down to children is okay because they generally won't know they're being talked down to.

They don't talk down to children in the Pokémon game. The assertion that they do is not based on any fact here.

The earlier games have a pretty charming, childlike voice. X and Y's dialogue was a new low for the series, just devoid of any personality.

Not true. You're just older. The writing back then is on par, if not worse since they had to fit in a lot less characters in the boxes.

Hagi

Going to go tell my 7 year old niece that her pokemon games think she's fucking stupid and see what she says.

TS-08

Pokemon isn't just aimed at kids, it's aimed at very young kids, the kind that are still learning to read and write and is made with the hopes of aiding them.

I seem to recall one of the older games, either blue/red or gold/silver, literally advertising this on the back of the box.

ASIS

aren't most of the IPs you brought up american or at least of english origin? Cause I think that is a big factor.

psyfi

Banned
Better writing would be cool if they could pull it off. I'm thinking about how rad Avatar: The Last Airbender was as a coming of age / friendship story and how well that'd fit into Pokemon. Honestly though, I've been pretty content just mashing the A button through the story bits in the Pokemon games ever since Red/Blue.

Balb

Agreed. Pokemon has a great universe, but the writing doesn't really make use of it it. Kids series or not.

I seem to recall one of the older games, either blue/red or gold/silver, literally advertising this on the back of the box.

I know on the back of the R/B boxes, they say reading is required to enjoy the story.

I think a game like Fantasy Life does a great job of not talking down to the player and feels fun to read even as an adult. But here on GAF, get ready for the defense force OP.

I don't know, I found Fantasy Life's writing to be exhausting to read after a while and the writing combined with the large amounts of fetch quests just made me stop playing. Pokemon isn't any better but I feel like Yokai Watch might have been a better comparison.

Mr-Joker

Banned
When has Pokemon had genuinely good writing anyway? It's got a simple story, in every game. I think it's just how it's going to be. Like the TV show. From the first season to now. It's horribly simple... and it always has been. It's quite obvious gamefreak intends to keep it that way considering it's been that way for years.

Gen 4 and gen 5 had really good story and Game Freak pour a lot of detail into creating the region lore and backstory.

This was absent in gen 6.

Shooting down counterpoints as "shitposting" in the OP is a great start. And then calling the same counterpoints the usual Nintendo thread stuff? Kind of difficult to have a meaningful discussion when you try to downplay opposing views before anyone can even make them.

As for the actual quality of the writing, they clearly feel that they are doing just fine writing and scripting these games for the younger audience. It sounds like you're complaining that they're not doing the Disney/Pixar thing of throwing a bone to the parents who have to sit through the media their kids consume.

Considering parents typically don't sit there and watch their kids as they play video games, they probably don't see a reason to waste time and money doing that. Seems like a sound business decision to me.

JazzmanZ

Also in terms of quality writing examples, Minions the movie about those gibberish Yellow things is one of the top 5 grossing animated movies of all time, beating much better written movies like Toys Story 3 and Finding Nemo.

So I'm not too sure Kids really care for a better written Pokemon game.

.JayZii

Banned
Pokemon has always been pretty weird if you think about it for a second.

Is it a japanese thing that the mom of the house lives in the kitchen 24/7? She doesn't even have a goddamn bedroom. I assume dad took it with him after the divorce.
You could open a book and educate yourself, you know.

All Japanese women sleep in the bottom left kitchen cabinet, the one bedroom goes to the child (because of Japan's One Child Policy) and Fathers sleep at the office because they are also all capsule loves hotels.

sgjackson

This is kinda cliche but the real story in Pokemon is the one you come up with about your journey and how your catches grow with you.

I agree that the writing could be stronger to facilitate this. Black/White is probably the closest the series has come to good writing and that's solely on the back of flirting with the idea that the series is fucked up conceptually and a crazy twist right at the end.

If I were in charge of a franchise like that I'd be scared of making changes for fear that it would ruin the success they have had. Has the writing changed much in the past 20 years? When I was playing Red I found it to be quite well written when supplemented with the anime.

I'm still holding out for the day when they do a splinter series of Pokemon aimed at teens or young adults. Something darker.

Balb

Gen 4 and gen 5 had really good story and Game Freak pour a lot of detail into creating the region lore and backstory.

I thought 5 was pretty lackluster. I thought it had a decent premise that Pokemon are basically slaves, but the people who claim that also use Pokemon as "slaves," so the story made no sense at all.

takriel

Stories in Pokemon games are mostly trash, with Black and White being an exception.

But children love it, and that's what matters!

I disagree with the Gen 4 thing. I thought that story was extremely bleh. I have *not* played any Gen 5 games though. Only Gen I haven't played.

So, my bad. ;u;

udivision

I'm willing to bet Game Freak would rather not be burdened with the reality of an aging fanbase, and it's in their best interest to target new (young) fans.

LPride

Banned
None of that seems insulting.

But theyre not even talking about LGBT rights or the Anthropic Principle! I need to be able to point to something concrete so I can tell Dad that Im not wasting my time playing this game marketed for children, instead of getting a job.

Y'all, theres nothing wrong with playing Pokemon and taking it for what it is at face value. Stop tying yourself up into knots self justifying. Its just a simple RPG with cute animals that fight each other, and everyone adores it for what it is. It doesnt have to be about The Meaning of Life

Mechazawa

You don't think even grade school kids deserve better writing than this? Shit is inane. I've played Pokemon mods written by people who only learned English because they mod Pokemon, with stronger writing

Not really, no. This comes across as fairly inoffensive as far as writing aimed at that age group goes. We're talking about a group of kids that lose their shit over emotive characters like "Minions" that don't actually utter any comprehensible dialogue.

It's also an RPG. Like, I get that you want this to be an "all ages appreciate" kinda thing, but these games don't have the same luxury of something like Toy Story which is a focused product. These games come out every two years and have to churn out tons and tons of dialogue that then get grinded through an English localization.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Pokemon needs the following things: Pokemon to collect, special moves to use, and a complicated element chart to memorize. It has these things. It excels at what it does. Do you really need Prof Oak to give you 40 pages of dialouge before taking your damn starter pokemon?

Have you played the recent games? You already go through a judicious quantity of dialogue before picking a starter in X and Y.

I don't think anyone here is advocating for more dialogue; if anything, the copious amounts of unskippable text are what exacerbates the sub-par writing.

Fbh

Not every show/game is going to have that kind of writing. as i also stated, lowest common denominator.

Sure I get that. I'm just saying that being targeted at children shouldn't be an excuse for having bad writing.

I think that, as someone already posted, the fact that Gamefreak's goal isn't to tell a story but rather to focus on the collecting and battling of pokemon is a more valid explanation than "it's aimed at children"

I haven't experienced any dialogue that I remember that talked down to you, the player.

The dialogue is mostly kept simple, but simple is not stupid/insipid/what-have-you. Complex ideas can be presented just as easily in a sentence of 3-6 letter words as they can in a 10-minute cutscene.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, you bought the new Pokemon game? That means you're fucking stupid.
No, I'm not.
No, that's not my opinion. That's Game Freak's opinion of you.
No, it's not.
I am not exaggerating.
Yes, you are.
As an adult, this is what playing Pokemon feels like.
No, it doesn't.
And I get it, I totally get it.
No, you don't.

I mean, I totally agree that POKéMON does not have 'good' writing, and I would love it if better writing were introduced to the series, but you are massively overstating its importance to the franchise and also being pretty hyperbolic and preemptively aggressive. So I get the premise of what you're saying and agree to an extent, but not at all with how you say it and how important you think it is.

( Semi-related; I was going to make a not entirely too serious thread on how I think POKéMON type naming makes little sense to me but am now afraid it will be taken as something serious and negative. x3 )

Over everything else, I'd call Pokémon's writing functional. It's rarely actively bad, but it's very often bland- Black and White does occasionally make stabs at profundity, but boy oh boy, that's significantly worse.

Comparisons with passive media like Adventure Time and Toy Story are misplaced, though; their primary expression is through their writing, whereas Pokémon's is through the gameplay. This is not to say that they shouldn't improve it, or that there isn't significant room for improvement, but the comparison isn't a fair one.

I thought 5 was pretty lackluster. I thought it had a decent premise that Pokemon are basically slaves, but the people who claim that also use Pokemon as "slaves," so the story made no sense at all.

Fair's fair- the idea that Team Plasma's mostly made up of hypocrites is pretty explicit in the text. The only one properly committed is N, and he releases his Pokémon throughout.

Firestorm

I mean, the writing isn't anything to write home about (yaaaa) but that's definitely not the #1 problem with the franchise or really even in the top 5.

BlueMagic

joke's on you for playing games looking to compare writing to writing in movies
pokemon game mechanics have been verying solidly (in general) imho and that's what I look for in a series

Totally disagree of course. The number 1 problem is they're just not that fun to me. I could tolerate it when it first released. But by the third generation I had enough. Playing the demos for the recent games, it doesn't seem like they've changed enough to pull me back in.

Decarabia

I thought this thread was going to be about how the writing in X/Y was a lot worse/more insipid compared to the rest of the series, which I would agree with.

But if you're talking in general, than no, I do not agree and it certainly isn't the series #1 problem.

Top Bottom