• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Beat Handcuffed Woman in Front of child, White bagged, Creedy Style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beard

Assualting a police officer who just calmly detained you is a terrible plan.

But cops should be held to a higher standard.

Apt101

Not fit to be a cop if he can go from zero to violently dangerous in a heartbeat like this, on a drunken person who is already handcuffed and no physical threat - in front of their child. The taunting and chastizing? Icing on the cake.

Nothing will happen though. He'll undergo so some useless anger management class(es), drive a desk for a month or two, then be back on the streets to beat up the next person who dares to test his authority.

It's funny how the moment a video like this goes public you have the police chief coming out and saying "This isn't how this is supposed to be done. We are looking into this." Kind of says a lot about police that it's only once the public sees how fucked up police officers are that these incidents get disavowed.

Kettch

I wouldn't even guarantee that the spitting here was intentional. If she's that intoxicated there are plenty of ways for bodily fluids to come up unintentionally, and there is of course no way to cover your mouth with your hands cuffed.

Machine

When you make a post like this, are you forgetting that Police go through training, and that they aren't just your average moron with a badge and a gun? Also, do you notice that a post like this is equating police to your average untrained gaffer? Do you see that it is probably part of the problem?

Police are held to a higher standard, there is no 'should.' Because they are sworn officers of the law.

I think this post highlights the problem and why nothing can be done about police. People like yourself are willing to ignore the fact that police are trained to deal with problems and not react in the heat of the moment, or with emotions. One day, they are our trained officers, there to protect us. The next, ah well, just some average good ole boys like me. I'd probably do the same thing. But yep. This thinking is the reason why those on the sidelines of the issue couldn't give a shit if you handed them a barrel of it. Police are just normal dudes with guns apparently. Why that doesn't strike you as an immediate problem, well.

My point is that violence being considered an "acceptable" response in situations where it shouldn't be is a societal problem not just a police one. It goes without saying that addressing the issue as it pertains to police is necessary but ultimately its only a band-aid on a greater problem. If we found a way to address the underlying cause, the band-aid would not be necessary.

Interesting comment from another thread:

Spit on a guy and he decided to deck you. Again, it is something where that outcome is a likely possibility and you shouldn't be spitting on him. He shouldn't hit you, but I'm not going to say you didn't deserve a smack either.

Trance

replace patrol officers with robots please

ED 209 gave 20 seconds to comply, much more than anyone in the encounters over the last few days got

That hit me hard. I just posted what you said as part of my Facebook post about the events of the past couple of days. Fuck.

commedieu

Banned
My point is that violence being considered an "acceptable" response in situations where it shouldn't be is a societal problem not just a police one. It goes without saying that addressing the issue as it pertains to police is necessary but ultimately its only a band-aid on a greater problem. If we found a way to address the underlying cause, the band-aid would not be necessary.

I don't believe that police being accountable for their behavior is a band-aid solution versus speculation about what or what isn't human nature. Better training, body cameras (that don't fall off) All result in less false reports, less killed citizens, and safer policing. There are little to no efforts for police reform to be had in the United States.

Your ultimate discussion is something that will take hundreds of generations to resolve. It really has nothing to do with police brutality. Nor should it be offered as some sort of bigger problem. The bigger problem is police have no accountability. Accountability for police isn't a bandaid. It is THE issue in regards to brutality and executions. No need for mysterious conversations about underlying causes, no. Firemen don't attack people, neither do Postal .. well... you understand my point. ;-)

I just see your post as a deflection of an issue to discuss some amorphous point that really has no tangible approach, or any solution to get results. Its like saying that while people are being executed daily by police, focus should really be on why people are mean to each other, and we should resolve that, some how. Sure, I mean. Ok... But back to the police having no accountability, and a simple multi-faceted solution. Better hiring practices, training, and accountability as well as a watchful digital eye.

ANd no,

that post is not interesting. It has nothing to do with Trained officers that swear oaths and are trained to deal with people spitting on them. The onus isn't on the people spitting on the cop that causes them to choose to punch a handcuffed woman in the mouth. Its on the cop who makes the decision to punch a handcuffed woman. our soldiers are spit on, and much worse overseas. They don't kill anything that disrespects them.

replace patrol officers with robots please

ED 209 gave 20 seconds to comply, much more than anyone in the encounters over the last few days got

Let's just leave the police as they are, and have ED209's police the police. I bet this shit wouldn't happen if there was the constant threat of being miningunned.

Brown declined to give up the names of the officers involved in the beating, but he does promise that the department will “look into it.”

That's literally of no value. I don't care that an organization known for protecting their own is "looking into it", I want to be promised that a person who very obviously committed assault without just cause (HE LITERALLY SAID THAT HE WAS ASSAULTING HER AS A PUNISHMENT) is going to go on trial.

The Kree

Banned
I don't know how you guys deal with this shit, if that was my wife and daughter, that cop gets communion.
You'd be put down immediately and then your daughter grows up fatherless. The world wouldn't even be on your side. They'd say you had a death wish.

I feel you though.

GhaleonEB

"communication breakdown" aka, buried it. The person that did that has likely continued to work for the past two years, consequence-free.

The video of the punch was brutal, but the audio of him muttering hateful insults at her after were also disturbing. He comes across like a sociopath.

darscot

You'd be put down immediately and then your daughter grows up fatherless. The world wouldn't even be on your side. They'd say you had a death wish.

I feel you though.

Maybe communion means something else to you and in the end you right I would calm down and settle for less but this is not something I would ever look to the law for justice.

ironcreed

Banned
He is sitting on her, driving his knee into her back so she can't breath calling her a bitch over and over. I don't care if she spit on him or not, this is pure police brutality. But what else is new?

Do Better

Not fit to be a cop if he can go from zero to violently dangerous in a heartbeat like this, on a drunken person who is already handcuffed and no physical threat - in front of their child. The taunting and chastizing? Icing on the cake.

Nothing will happen though. He'll undergo so some useless anger management class(es), drive a desk for a month or two, then be back on the streets to beat up the next person who dares to test his authority.

This is the type of guy who will kill someone in a few years, and then it'll be reported that he was suspended in the past for using unnecessary force.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Restraining her for spitting on him was justified since her action could be considered assault. But Holy Excessive Force, Batman. He should lose his badge. If you can't control your temper, you shouldn't be on the streets with a gun.

ironcreed

Banned
This is the type of guy who will kill someone in a few years, and then it'll be reported that he was suspended in the past for using unnecessary force.

Yep. You could tell that he was enjoying himself as well. Probably the type of guy who got his ass beat one too many times in high school and became a cop in order to take it out on society.

Vinland

Banned
"communication breakdown" aka, buried it. The person that did that has likely continued to work for the past two years, consequence-free.

The video of the punch was brutal, but the audio of him muttering hateful insults at her after were also disturbing. He comes across like a sociopath.

I'd say this police officer fully demonstrates the quintessential sociopath archetype.

A thread on neogaf about what people would do if they were spit on is not fucking proof of anything. Stop this bullshit. If you think as a police officer violence (Physical and verbal) against someone is understandable because they spit on you, then its no fucking wonder we have police loading clips into people for "resisting".

Stop legitimizing this fucking garbage.

UberTag

Jesus. It never ends.

At least we'll probably get some reform out of today's events.
I'm honestly surprised police stations haven't been stormed with mass protests across the nation.
Hell, if I was a cop, I'd quit. Take a job that's more respected. Like garbage collector.
And, that's just a self-fulfilling prophecy now, isn't it? Chase the good cops away and all you have left are the dregs of society to give badges to.

I bet if someone started a random thread and asked "How would you respond if someone spit on you", there would be a lot of Gaffers who would say they would kick that person's ass. While police definitely should be held to a higher standard, it's not surprising to me that this shit happens when violent responses to minor insults are deemed acceptable (and even appropriate) by so many.

Totally different situations.
Trained professional that should be prepared to deal with that kind of situation on a daily basis vs two gamer bros mad at each other about pokemon.

F34R

I'm honestly surprised police stations haven't been stormed with mass protests across the nation.
Hell, if I was a cop, I'd quit. Take a job that's more respected. Like garbage collector.
And, that's just a self-fulfilling prophecy now, isn't it? Chase the good cops away and all you have left are the dregs of society to give badges to.

It isn't happening because the very small number of bad cops don't dictate how all the other cops do their jobs.

commedieu

Banned
It isn't happening because the very small number of bad cops don't dictate how all the other cops do their jobs.

lol.. or are you serious?

People don't protest police because police can kill you and get away with it. Simple as that. But, It's coming. People have had enough, if everyone feels their lives are worthless, there will soon be nothing to fear.
There is a systematic problem with police, as Obama just mentioned. There are race disparities. As Obama just mentioned. Good cops can't be good cops when they can't act on bad police due to being afraid of police just as the average citizen is. The system is broken fundamentally.

You can see this happen in other nations where police don't execute everyone they deem fit. Its natural to protest at the centre of the problem, but in America, it would be a deathwish. And now...

A hate crime.

I used to work with mentally disabled people in their homes. A few times, I ended up in places with one or more violent people. I've been punched outright countless times, had a knife thrown at me, had people try to grapple me...

I did that for ten bucks an hour, why the fuck can't trained police officers properly assess a situation to get both you and the aggressor out of it safely? I got some bruises but I did my fucking job. Getting spat on makes you mad? I dealt with that nearly daily for some stretches. Saliva makes you see red? Try having human feces flung at you. And getting up the next morning to spend eight hours with that person again.

I have zero empathy for someone who reacts like this when they're supposed to be the professional authority figure in a situation. Fuck them. Bunch of wimps, and they've got decent wages, health care and a pension waiting for them at the end of it all. No respect at all for these clowns, I don't care if someone spits at you.

I doubt American police get any training for de-escalation or how to gain rapport from people to understand where they're coming from. Got spat on by a patient a few days ago, just took it, because I got that they're just projecting their frustrations and suffering from bipolar, he'll be fine half an hour later. You see police overreacting to mentally stable people like this, imagine how bad it is with the mentally unstable.

What do you know, they're now going to check if they even have de-escalation training.

Deseret News: 'Disturbing' police video: Top city brass want to know why systems failed
Matthew Rojas, Mayor Jackie Biskupski’s spokesman, said the mayor declined to comment on the video because the incident occurred before she was elected and “the police department is handling it.”

“She hasn’t even seen the video yet,” Rojas said Wednesday. “She’s not going to make a statement. She’s more focused on moving forward and making sure we have de-escalation training in place."​

Culex

Banned
Man, that comments section in the link....people justifying the response of the cop...it's sickening.

What if it was the daughter that spit on the cop, would the exact same response have been OK?

F34R

lol.. or are you serious?

People don't protest police because police can kill you and get away with it. Simple as that. But, It's coming. People have had enough, if everyone feels their lives are worthless, there will soon be nothing to fear.
There is a systematic problem with police, as Obama just mentioned. There are race disparities. As Obama just mentioned. Good cops can't be good cops when they can't act on bad police due to being afraid of police just as the average citizen is. The system is broken fundamentally.

You can see this happen in other nations where police don't execute everyone they deem fit. Its natural to protest at the centre of the problem, but in America, it would be a deathwish. And now...

A hate crime.
All that is a very small percentage of police. I'm not disagreeing that there is a problem though. Don't listen to politicians.

commedieu

Banned
All that is a very small percentage of police. I'm not disagreeing that there is a problem though. Don't listen to politicians.

Firstly, I don't listen to politicians. That small % is murdering people and getting away with it. Tell the victims of police violence its ok because its just a fraction! Cheer up. Its significant to people that have a dog in the fight sir. Very significant. And that small % is protected by the total body of the police and unions. So please, don't waste your time on trying to convince me that extralegal executions are nothing because you feel they aren't, and that I shouldn't get a bee in my bonnet over, because its really not that many. Its disproportionate towards minorities, as Obama has highlighted with data. The system is poisoned, and again, good police can't turn in bad police as they face the same intimidation. We need nation wide police reform. The state of police is a disgusting sham when it comes to brown people in this country. Unfortunately, you'd may have some wiggle room if there wasn't data. But, fortunately.. there is.

Enough of that percentage is murdering people. Why I have to keep repeating this, just proves why nothing will be done in this country. Its acceptable to you that a small % of police are executing people freely, and protected by the justice system. To me, its not. Just depends on your perspective I suppose. Either you make a choice to decide that police shouldn't be executing people, at any %, or you excuse it to say its just a small %.

Are you LEO or aspiring LEO?

I am tired of this bs if it was really just a small number of cops these issues would not be continually popping up day after day. Seriously look at this situation as a prime example of what happens when a "bad cop" does something wrong and the police department full of so called "good cops" actively helps to cover up his crimes or what about a police department like ferguson which was so corrupt and so abusive I think 70 percent of the people in the town had active warrants. Ferguson was so bad it was basically a police state.

F34R

Firstly, I don't listen to politicians. That small % is murdering people and getting away with it. Tell the victims of police violence its ok because its just a fraction! Cheer up. Its significant to people that have a dog in the fight sir. Very significant. And that small % is protected by the total body of the police and unions. So please, don't waste your time on trying to convince me that extralegal executions are nothing because you feel they aren't, and that I shouldn't get a bee in my bonnet over, because its really not that many. Its disproportionate towards minorities, as Obama has highlighted with data. The system is poisoned, and again, good police can't turn in bad police as they face the same intimidation. We need nation wide police reform. The state of police is a disgusting sham when it comes to brown people in this country. Unfortunately, you'd may have some wiggle room if there wasn't data. But, fortunately.. there is.

Enough of that percentage is murdering people. Why I have to keep repeating this, just proves why nothing will be done in this country. Its acceptable to you that a small % of police are executing people freely, and protected by the justice system. To me, its not. Just depends on your perspective I suppose. Either you make a choice to decide that police shouldn't be executing people, at any %, or you excuse it to say its just a small %.

Are you LEO or aspiring LEO?

I never said it was acceptable. I am a retired LEO 4 years ago, medical reasons. I agree they shouldn't be unjustified at any percentage. The % comment was about generalizing police because of the small percentage doing bad shit. I am 100% against someone so much as getting looked at simply because they are African-American, etc. If it isn't legal within our power, and infringes on the rights of someone, I am 100% against it.

Looking at what happened here, I would hope this guy was arrested and charged with the assault. Then the civil liability taken care of as well. I've had people spit on me, and I've never treated someone like that. I've always treated people with respect, even when I've had to fight someone. After it's said and done, they are in cuffs, and I will still treat them with respect. I'll get back to the station, do all the paperwork, so they can get a bond hearing as soon as possible. I never held paperwork back over the weekend, even though I could hold out until Monday, legally. Hell no.

I've had guns pointed at me, I was stabbed in the back, I was hit with a brick from behind, a mental patient ran at me with a baseball bat, a domestic abuse suspect came out the door to his house with an axe and a sword, and I was attacked by a diabetic patient that went insane due to sugar levels. I talked another officer down from tazing a mental patient that escaped from the hospital and he was behind me and had me in a choke hold. My 13 years, I saw a lot of crap. Never did any more than I had to do to make sure even the suspects were safe when dealing with crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom