• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon COD: Ghosts Review update: (XBONE better version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ref

I'm saying that in the images in question, the PS4 version was in native 720p. Not saying that the game doesn't do native 1080p on PS4 at all.

Even with crappy YouTube artifacts, you can tell by the aliasing that it's the exact same resolution:

10ye4M4.gif

Comparing these knowing the PS4 version can natively do 1080p is unacceptable. How is that a fair comparison?

Not sure how something like this happens. Of course they will look similar if they are both 720p...

Gattsu25

Banned
So what now, Polygon reviewed both the X1 and Ps4 at 720p? Instead of doing Ps4 at 1080p?

Wth is this crap
They might have captured at that resolution if their capture card does not support 1080p@60fps?

I dunno...I'm trying to see this in the best light for them

Seik

Banned
I'm saying that in the images in question, the PS4 version was in native 720p. Not saying that the game doesn't do native 1080p on PS4 at all.

Even with crappy YouTube artifacts, you can tell by the aliasing that it's the exact same resolution:

10ye4M4.gif

Wow, you're right, what the hell is going on?!

Cuyejo

It's fucking ridiculous that the only competent source of comparisons is Digital Foundry, I mean, even with the bias allegations and whatnot, you have to admit that Leadbetter does his homework most of the time. The only other site with decent comparisons is Lensoftruth.com but they are little and underfunded compared to Eurogamer.

MonaKyshu

Banned
My PC (laptop) has a 720p screen, so that method won't work unless I'm on my 1080p plasma, but that is a good suggestion nonetheless.

yea you would ofc need your display to atleast match the resolution of the biggest image, something i wouldn't be surprised 1/2 of these reviewers misunderstanding.

KMS

10ye4M4.gif

xO4T8f2.jpg

Even with the sharpening filter the difference in aliasing between 720p and 1080p should be clearly visible.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
It's fucking ridiculous that the only competent source of comparisons is Digital Foundry, I mean, even with the bias allegations and whatnot, you have to admit that Leadbetter does his homework most of the time. The only other site with decent comparisons is Lensoftruth.com but they are little and underfunded when compared to Eurogamer.

That's because so few people care, there isn't an audience for stuff like that.

I imagine what we are seeing here are teething issues. Once things settle is going to be PC>PS4>XB1 every single time. However, It's pretty clear even people paid to do so, struggle to see differences in a normal gaming environment.

a916

xO4T8f2.jpg

Even with the sharpening filter the difference in aliasing between 720p and 1080p should be clearly visible.

Isn't it harder to notice native resolution with AA is thrown on? (I could be wrong but I remember someone mentioning it earlier on GAF)

KMS

Isn't it harder to notice native resolution with AA is thrown on? (I could be wrong but I remember someone mentioning it earlier on GAF)

With AA and post processing can be harder to count pixels but there still would be a difference in jaggies and shimmering.

viveks86

Isn't the PS4 HDMI capture feature unavailable at launch ?

How game press journalist can get their PS4 footage ? Use PS4 dev kit ?

Debug unit, probably.

You just need to put a HDCP stripper to remove the encryption before the capture device.

Don't think they would have used HDCP strippers at the review event. The legality around it is a bit gray, so I doubt they would use it at an official event.

KMS

Debug unit, probably.

Don't think they would have used HDCP strippers at the review event. The legality around it is a bit gray, so I doubt they would use it at an official event.

Yeah, can't wait for both consoles to launch so we can get some proper direct feed capture comparisons.

viveks86

Yeah, can't wait for both consoles to launch so we can get some proper direct feed capture comparisons.

Yup! Hope they get posted on gamersyde. Any comparison this gen is going to be pointless on youtube quality.

I'm hoping we get more direct feed screenshot comparisons. At least those won't be as compressed.

GYNGA

So PC has fps issues and Xbone doesn't? Interesting

BTW I could swear I saw Xbone Ghosts gameplay video and it had highly visible drops in MP

Mr Moose

Maybe they are using 720p/1080i screens.

On the back of my PS4 Ghosts it says HD video output 720p, 1080i, 1080p and in the small print it says video output in full HD 1080p requires 1080p native display.

John_B

It's AV amateur hour from these outlets. The IGN video even looks as if the PS4 video is RGB limited range (crushed blacks).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's AV amateur hour from these outlets. The IGN video even looks as if the PS4 video is RGB limited range (crushed blacks).
It's really quite frustrating to watch this stuff knowing that you could do a much better job. They really don't understand anything about anything related to display technology.

xn0

10ye4M4.gif

fcLWBSp.gif

We have confirmation that IGN screwed up the recording somehow for their comparaison ? Because my theory is that SP is 720p on both but MP is 1080 on PS4. It would explain the resolution problem

juanjux

Neo Member
PS: the eurogamer guy from the videos I linked above replies to a question about the framerate on one of the videos, I'll translate:

Q: "Xavi did you notice framerate drops? it has been rumored on several outlets that the PS4 version has some important framerate drops, do you know something about this? Please reply"

A: I've noticed some framerate drops, but it is very rare and not very annoying. When it happens you say "HOLY SHIIIIT"! but it happens like once every six hours

viveks86

We have confirmation that IGN screwed up the recording somehow for their comparaison ? Because my theory is that SP is 720p on both but MP is 1080 on PS4. It would explain the resolution problem

That would defy rationality. Why would MP be higher resolution than SP? If anything, I can imagine a company going the other way around in order to maintain frame rate.

Mr Moose

PS: the eurogamer guy from the videos I linked above replies to a question about the framerate on one of the videos, I'll translate:

Q: "Xavi did you notice framerate drops? it has been rumored on several outlets that the PS4 version has some important framerate drops, do you know something about this? Please reply"

A: I've noticed some framerate drops, but it is very rare and not very annoying. When it happens you say "HOLY SHIIIIT"! but it happens like once every six hours

Nice. Pretty much what Scott Lowe said.

viveks86

Hmmm... That does sound like a problem that can be fixed

I'm told that Infinity Ward is working on a patch to correct the performance issues.
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-few-last-minute-bits-of-playstation-4-info/1100-4785/

10ye4M4.gif

Magic 1080p upscaling power of the xbox one?

Bradach

That's why polygon only deducted 5%!
They've set a precedent for themselves that's going to haunt them for a long time

If this cannot be settled by the time the Xbone comes out. If someone in the SF bay area with an Xbone wants to meet with me, I can capture gameplay at whatever resolutions and framerates you guys want to and do side by side comparisons with. I'll share it with everyone.

If someone wants to this, I'm all for it.

Rainy Dog

It's really quite frustrating to watch this stuff knowing that you could do a much better job. They really don't understand anything about anything related to display technology.

Yep, I find it bemusing that these things are causing such shitstorms when where dealing with :-

1. 'Journalists' that know nothing about the technical nature of what they're even writing about for the most part.

2. Sites that can't even set the consoles and capture equipment up properly.

3. Comparisons of horribly captured footage that's compressed to shit and is bordering on being nothing more than a 30% approximation of how these games will look on a halfway decent calibrated and set-up display.

How is it possible they were both recorded at 720p? This didn't happen with BF4.

Anyway.. it's not exactly a looker of a game even on PC.

psn

How is this possible? I get the feeling that these "mistakes" were not a mistake ...

Or does anyone believe they really are that incompetent?

That's why polygon only deducted 5%!
They've set a precedent for themselves that's going to haunt them for a long time

The guy added 5% based on his personal observations.

1080p vs 720p, don't see it. 0%

Frame rate drops, I see less. +5%

We all know there's an observable difference between 720 and 1080, and no magic scaling is going to help that. As for frame drops, wait for someone to run a proper test before declaring a winner.

After this whole Call Of Duty nonsense with Polygon, I saw their "Madden 25 hands on preview" and said yeah, not falling for the bullshit twice Polygon.

The guy added 5% based on his personal observations.

1080p vs 720p, don't see it. 0%

Frame rate drops, I see less. +5%

We all know there's an observable difference between 720 and 1080, and no magic scaling is going to help that. As for frame drops, wait for someone to run a proper test before declaring a winner.

I just got into this thread and am too lazy to read 30+ pages. So, Polygon thinks the boner version is better because the framerate is slightly better? They claim the PS4 version has somewhat major framerate issues when other sites are saying it's only occasionaly. Even IGN said the PS4 version was definitively better and recommended it over the xb1. Are there any legitimate sites that have chosen the xb1 version as the definitive version besides Polygon?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's because so few people care, there isn't an audience for stuff like that.

I imagine what we are seeing here are teething issues. Once things settle is going to be PC>PS4>XB1 every single time. However, It's pretty clear even people paid to do so, struggle to see differences in a normal gaming environment.

I think thats bullshit.

'normal' people might not be able to understand (or care) about specific technical differences, but if you ask them "which would you prefer - full HD to properly work on your nice new HDTV, or HD ready?" they'd want full HD. TV manufacturers sell 1080p sets based on Full HD, normal consumers understand that is better than HD ready used to be. You don't need to be technically minded to want more.

I just got into this thread and am too lazy to read 30+ pages. So, Polygon thinks the boner version is better because the framerate is slightly better? They claim the PS4 version has somewhat major framerate issues when other sites are saying it's only occasionaly. Even IGN said the PS4 version was definitively better and recommended it over the xb1. Are there any legitimate sites that have chosen the xb1 version as the definitive version besides Polygon?
No, and i heard a patch might fix that 1 in a 6 hour frameratedip (in think they told Gerstman). They won't patch the resolution difference.

glaurung

Oh Polygon, you crazy mad hatters. I cannot even figure out whether it's incredibly biased, bile-based journalism or whether the guys working over there have special needs.

Chobel

Polygon also said this which is the reason for 30+ pages
The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom