• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon COD: Ghosts Review update: (XBONE better version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Wait a minute. So because Ghosts looks equally unimpressive on both consoles, that can only mean the PS4 version isn't actually 1080p? Really breh?

That's not it at all lol. The PS4 version doesn't look 1080p because it doesn't look like 1080p (based on IGN's footage). Take the Xbox One out of the equation for a moment. The IQ in the vids etc we've seen just isn't representative of the kind you'd see from a native 1080p game. So either it's not 1080p, the recording messed up, the compression is so bad you just can't tell, or there's a post processing filter of some kind that is blurring and jaggying shit up. Either way, we'll know soon enough, but the IGN footage of the PS4 version does not look 1080p. Looked 720p to me off first viewing.

I mentioned earlier it looked better, not because of resolution, but because of better gamma/colour/lighting. But these things are completely different to having double the pixel count.

sTaTIx

Wait a minute. So because Ghosts looks equally unimpressive on both consoles, that can only mean the PS4 version isn't actually 1080p? Really breh?

Looking unimpressive has nothing to do with native rendering resolution. Sniper: Ghost Warrior still looks like dog shit if you run it at 2560x1440p.

Do you have proof that PS4 is rendering CoD at 720p?

Read the last couple pages of this thread.

The theory that it is running at 720p on the PS4 is based on the image a few pages back that identifies aliasing is the same. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that an image at 720p and an image at 1080p would not have the same aliasing.

CozMick

Banned
Single player - 1080p@30fps is fine by me, the drops could actually go from 60 to 30 and it wouldnt affect me.

Multiplayer - For call of duty 1080p is perfect for seeing enemies in the distance, I could accept a drop in a few frames >45fps is fine.

Anything lower than that and the 10 quid upgrade just isnt gonna happen, simply due to incompetent devs dont get shit from me.....more than once :/

:D

And finally 720p? Fuck you infinity ward "lying, cheating twats" is what I'll say.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What the crap is going on here. Didnt we have it confirmed by multiple sources to be 1080p? Is the footage from multiple sites showing the same thing or do we only have 1 website with ps4 720p footage?

Couldn't that be attributed to output video resolution, not rendering resolution?

It could, but if more websites have the same 720p footage.. Or did they all record it in a review event environment?

Tomcat

Cool, may aswell play everything @480p then.

problems with the framerate on a multi game are unacceptable. and yes on pc where you can gamers lower the resolution or the effects to get that 60fps on their multi games. its the same here framerate is above all even resolution

Cyborg

How can you say this though? The fact that people know exactly what to look for is how people realized the capture is not in 1080p in the first place...

edit: I will ban any more conspiracy bullshit. So drop it right now.

You should close this.......

sixamp

Lol some of these butt hurt comments are amazing. Simply put both versions are average. The difference is the ps4 version at the time of review suffers from frame rate issues that affect game play. Once its patched and fixed someone give the ps4 version .5 more than the xbx1 version. The game is horrible that's the problem not.

nib95

Banned
I think this is bigger than which version looks better now, it's about whether Infinity Ward lied about the PS4 version being 1080p when it's really 720p, or if some other blunder has taken place. It's definitely an amusing and interesting development either way.

Pop

So IW is lying or polygon just effed up the capture.

Still there's no excuse, if ghost resolution isn't higher on Ps4 than X1 then IW did this for parity reasons.

Couldn't that be attributed to output video resolution, not rendering resolution?

No. If one version was rendered at a higher resolution and down sambled for output at a lower resolution it would be evident via reduced aliasing. Since it's the aliasing that is identical the only rational conclusion is the games were rendered internally at the same resolution.

But to be clear, this hypothesis does not imply the game can't run at a full 1080p on PS4, only that there may have been a bug or error preventing some from experiencing it that way during the review event last month.

Vagabundo

What's the date where both consoles and both versions of COD are out in the wild?

I want to mark that day in my calendar as shitfest day.

So if the ps4 version is in fact 720p upscaled will be see a wave of apologies directed at polygon?

Just saying 'if'... it would be pretty funny, IGN claim to see the improved resolution... either way credibility will flush somewhere :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
if this is something we want to do (and I suspect it is), can someone please make a new thread to talk about the ps4 version's possible resolution issues and/or capture problems? This thread has outlived its usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom