• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: No Man's Sky- the developers built space probes to explore it for them

KOHIPEET

Just to be clear:

There are 18.000.000.000.000.000.000 planets in this game.

Nice.

Reality still wins though. Multiply that number by 1 million

Seventy70

That's not how procedural algorithms work though. They are made with randoms bits of "noise" to create the planets that have the same output for the same given input. Sure you can find the "planet creation algorithm" but there would really be no way to tell what it would produce with a given seed without actually trying it. The way they are talking about this stuff is actually how it works.

That doesn't explain at all why they need to make a "space probe". Can't they just push calculate with the algorithm, store the numbers and make tweaks from there? Saying space probe is really unnecessary and sensational. All they had to say was that they were tweaking their algorithm, BOOM done. I get the feeling they are doing the same thing with a lot of the things in the game. Completely exaggerating it in order to sell it.

Yeah, at this point, every article that isn't about someone's impressions just serves to make me a little more skeptical of this game. I think it's very well documented how big and whatnot this game is. What isn't well documented is how the game plays.

True, this.

They better show some substantive gameplay Soony.

That doesn't explain at all why they need to make a "space probe". Can't they just push calculate with the algorithm, store the numbers and make tweaks from there? Space probe is really unnecessary.

They aren't Cypher from the Matrix. It's really hard to get an idea of what something will look like just by looking at a stream of numbers.

RiverKwai

Just to be clear:

There are 18.000.000.000.000.000.000 planets in this game.

Nice.

Reality still wins though. Multiply that number by 1 million

It's actually more than that. That's rounded down. it's 2 to the 64th power, or
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

Not trying to quibble, just striving for accuracy.

hawk2025

That doesn't explain at all why they need to make a "space probe". Can't they just push calculate with the algorithm, store the numbers and make tweaks from there? Space probe is really unnecessary.

You keep harping on "space probe". Only Polygon said "space probe" on the title of the article, and it's a completely harmless analogy nevertheless.

And no, they can't just "store the numbers". The point of the analogy is precisely because they want to see the visual output of the algorithm, so what they coded as a "debugging" tool is a simple way to run the procedures multiple times and capture visible snippets of the output.

Which, since the output is visual representations of different planets no one has ever seen, is very fucking similar to a "digital space probe".

kiguel182

If a game is not ready to show in a playable form, then don't hype people for something we can't verify to be true. Id figure that in 2015 developers would learn to not overhype their game without backing it up by letting people play it.

So devs can't freely talk about the game and say whatever they want know?

You are not forced to read their interviews.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Heyoooo! No one's made this joke before.

I'll make fun of the promises of exploring a 1:1 scale procedurally generated universe every time it's brought up as a selling point or something to get hyped up about. It could be 1/100,000th the size without changing anything about the actual experience of playing it, so it's an irrelevant metric.

Seventy70

They aren't Cypher from the Matrix. It's really hard to get an idea of what something will look like just by looking at a stream of numbers.

They can then use the numbers to generate an image of the planets. Also, I have a hard time believing that they are going to sit there looking at thousands and thousands of pictures. They are looking at numbers to see that they don't interfere with each other and don't go too far out of bounds.

It might seem like I'm being too picky about the space probe thing, but they've done the same thing so far. They are intentionally vague about the details of the game and say "it's like real life!!". We all know that there is no way you are going to be able to do the same things that you could do if you were actually on a planet. It's a game and we need the details of what you can and can't do.

These kinds of games have come and gone many times before. It's the same song and dance every time. This one is no different.

KOHIPEET

It's actually more than that. That's rounded down. it's 2 to the 64th power, or
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

I wonder how many of these "probes" they've made.

I doubt they even make pictures about the planets, let alone gifs. How much space that would take up?

A small, lower quality and shorter gif. Takes about 600 kbyte average. That's roughly 11.068.046.444.225.730.969.600 kbytes. Thats 10.307.921.510.400 terabytes lol

hawk2025

They can then use the numbers to generate an image of the planets. Also, I have a hard time believing that they are going to sit there looking at thousands and thousands of pictures. They are looking at numbers to see that they don't interfere with each other and don't go too far out of bounds.

It might seem like I'm being too picky about the space probe thing, but they've done the same thing so far. They are intentionally vague about the details of the game and say "it's like real life!!". We all know that there is no way you are going to be able to do the same things that you could do if you were actually on a planet. It's a game and we need the details of what you can and can't do.

You literally just made this up.

I wonder how many of these "probes" they've made.

I doubt they even make pictures about the planets, let alone gifs. How much space that would take up?

A small, lower quality and shorter gif. Takes about 600 kbyte average. That's roughly 11.068.046.444.225.730.969.600 kbytes. Thats 10.307.921.510.400 terabytes lol

You don't need to and shouldn't observe all the output. You only need a sample.

A normal distribution is a continuous function, and theoretically can assume more values than the full amount of planets that will be in No Man's Sky.

How are we able to analyze, work with, and use the Normal Distribution?

Seventy70

You literally just made this up.
Where have they said specifically the stuff you can do in the game? They've been harping on and on about it being this open universe where you can do anything, but they haven't given any details or shown the stuff that you can do.

I really have a hard time believing this game is somehow going to be different from the many procedurally generated focused games that came before. Maybe if there is actually some substance there, they should release a 30 minute gameplay video. It's no like that is going to spoil anything.

No, they are looking at the images to make sure the planets "look" good. I don't know how you can figure out if a planet looks good without, you know, looking at it. The point of the probe is that it is automated like literally every debug process is done in software development. It saves some poor guy sitting at a computer all day generating planets and taking screenshots of it. Is the press making a big deal out of this? Yes, very much so. But you can't really fault the developers for talking about a cool debug process to other developers at a developer's conference.

I'll make fun of the promises of exploring a 1:1 scale procedurally generated universe every time it's brought up as a selling point or something to get hyped up about. It could be 1/100,000th the size without changing anything about the actual experience of playing it, so it's an irrelevant metric.

I'd argue in a game revolving around exploration it is a very relevant metric. In Elite: Dangerous explorers get a tag when they discover a planet (similar to NMS). At the moment each player could discover some ridiculous number of planets and still leave a bunch for new players to discover. Having more planets means there's a bigger chance of discovering a planet with your name on it. While that might not be important to everyone, it's a nice reminder that you can still discover something new.

As for the crazy number of planets that NMS has, if the algorithm can do it why not? They'd be putting an arbitrary cap on it if they reduced the number.

Seventy70

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154621579&postcount=58

Point to me where they have been harping on and on about how you can do anything and that "it's just like real life".

So then where is the gameplay video?
No, they are looking at the images to make sure the planets "look" good. I don't know how you can figure out if a planet looks good without, you know, looking at it. The point of the probe is that it is automated like literally every debug process is done in software development. It saves some poor guy sitting at a computer all day generating planets and taking screenshots of it. Is the press making a big deal out of this? Yes, very much so. But you can't really fault the developers for talking about a cool debug process to other developers at a developer's conference.
What you're saying is that they are going to sit there and look at every single planet to make sure it looks good?

krae_man

I hope I encounter Destiny and Nicolas Rush at some point. That one planet did have a Stargate on it.

I'll just pretend those probes are seed ships.

What the hell? A digital space probe? Why even have such a thing?

Why not just write a program that randomly captures images of places in the universe? Why create a physical object?

What you're saying is that they are going to sit there and look at every single planet to make sure it looks good?

Not every planet since that will be impossible. It just a snapshot of a smaller subset of every planet.

Procedural algorithms can be really finicky. The smallest change to code could potentially have a bigger effect. A snapshot of a bunch of different planets will give the developers a good idea that they didn't completely screw up all their pretty planets.

What the hell? A digital space probe? Why even have such a thing?

Why not just write a program that randomly captures images of places in the universe? Why create a physical object?

That's literally what this is.

Unless you were kidding... I've been slow today.

Amir0x

Banned
Where have they said specifically the stuff you can do in the game? They've been harping on and on about it being this open universe where you can do anything, but they haven't given any details or shown the stuff that you can do.

I really have a hard time believing this game is somehow going to be different from the many procedurally generated focused games that came before. Maybe if there is actually some substance there, they should release a 30 minute gameplay video. It's no like that is going to spoil anything.

Can we please parse these two issues here?

Issue 1: They have not said the game is a huge universe where "you can do anything." This is just made up by you. They have consistently spoke about the limitations and have detailed at great length the specifics of what you can do in the universe.

Issue 2: This game is an open world procedurally generated title which will still have some of the limitations that games like that have; ergo less hand crafted challenges and certainly no hand crafted dungeons. They have a core goal and story, to get to the center of the universe and discover what is going on, and you get into space battles and robot wars and all sorts on the way through. But the core of the game will be resource gathering and exploration and combat, and all of that is going to be in procedurally generated environments. Which may feel "soulless" to some who require their hand crafted levels.

I think there's a time and place for both styles of design and that certainly it's OK to think this game is not for you. I just wish people would stop inflating what Hello Games have said. They have made very specific claims, none of them particularly extraordinary and have demonstrated many of the features in video form already. The only thing left is to wonder if they will make those features they've included any fun, and whether or not they are claiming features are in the game which are not. There is no proof Hello Games does that though.

Sean may have said "you can do anything" or something like it, but in the sense that it's largely directionless and you aren't forced on a certain path.

Seventy70

Can we please parse these two issues here?

Issue 1: They have not said the game is a huge universe where "you can do anything." This is just made up by you. They have consistently spoke about the limitations and have detailed at great length the specifics of what you can do in the universe.

Issue 2: This game is an open world procedurally generated title which will still have some of the limitations that games like that have; ergo less hand crafted challenges and certainly no hand crafted dungeons. They have a core goal and story, to get to the center of the universe and discover what is going on, and you get into space battles and robot wars and all sorts on the way through. But the core of the game will be resource gathering and exploration and combat, and all of that is going to be in procedurally generated environments. Which may feel "soulless" to some who require their hand crafted levels.

I think there's a time and place for both styles of design and that certainly it's OK to think this game is not for you. I just wish people would stop inflating what Hello Games have said. They have made very specific claims, none of them particularly extraordinary and have demonstrated many of the features in video form already. The only thing left is to wonder if they will make those features they've included any fun, and whether or not they are claiming features are in the game which are not. There is no proof Hello Games does that though.

They may have not literally said "You can do anything", but they have been talking about how you can do this and that without actually showing much. It's a bunch of talk without anything to back it up so far. I mean the game is supposed to come out this year and we haven't seen any uncut gameplay.

If it's just meant to be a sandbox where you are supposed to make you're own fun, that's fine, but they should just come out and say that. It's not just people who are inflating what Hello Games is doing. They are guilty of it themselves.

Seventy70

so you admit they've talked about what you do

They haven't gone into too much detail with what you can do. It's similar to how Peter Molyneux does with some of his games and says "You can do this and this will happen." It turns out to be all talk and nothing to back it up with when the game actually comes out. They are empty promises or extremely inflated.

They haven't gone into too much detail with what you can do. It's similar to how Peter Molyneux does with some of his games and says "You can do this and this will happen." It turns out to be all talk and nothing to back it up with when the game actually comes out. They are empty promises.

NMS is inspired by games that are currently out and have been for a number of years. Look up Elite and Frontier: Elite II or even the newer Elite: Dangerous if you want an idea of what you do.

They haven't gone into too much detail with what you can do. It's similar to how Peter Molyneux does with some of his games and says "You can do this and this will happen." It turns out to be all talk and nothing to back it up with when the game actually comes out. They are empty promises or extremely inflated.

Look at Amirox's post on this page

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004071&page=2

NMS is inspired by games that are currently out and have been for a number of years. Look up Elite and Frontier: Elite II or even the newer Elite: Dangerous if you want an idea of what you do.

NMS isn't even much like those games in terms of what you do tbh (Well I only know about Elite Dangerous) so that's not really a good way to help someone figure out NMS I'd think :p

NMS isn't even much like those games in terms of what you do tbh (Well I only know about Elite Dangerous) so that's not really a good way to help someone figure out NMS I'd think :p

It gives you a good understanding of the space trading genre (which NMS is a part of). Sean Murray has said Elite was a big inspiration to NMS.

They may have not literally said "You can do anything", but they have been talking about how you can do this and that without actually showing much. It's a bunch of talk without anything to back it up so far. I mean the game is supposed to come out this year and we haven't seen any uncut gameplay.

If it's just meant to be a sandbox where you are supposed to make you're own fun, that's fine, but they should just come out and say that. It's not just people who are inflating what Hello Games is doing. They are guilty of it themselves.
This is the problem right here. People expect Rockstar-style walkthrough videos and 20 minute previews

I'm glad the devs aren't doing this. Keep the game mysterious. They've talked in depth about the game and what you do. I'd rather not see an hour's worth of gameplay

MikeyB

From the GameInformer interview...
Your character starts off with a 2001: A Space Odyssey-esque psychedelic journey to one of the billions of randomly generated fringe planets, and when you awaken, there will not be another soul around. Maybe you’ll have some rare items beside you for early quick cash, or maybe you’ll have to start with nothing but the clothes on your back.

From there, you’ll be forced to find your ship with the help of a mini-map, and catching your ride opens up a map to the entire galaxy. The dangerous journey to the middle of everything will require a constant stream of resources for health benefits, ship-upgrades, and fuel. Money can be snatched up by mining planets for their minerals and blasting down enemy pirate ships. Trade posts found in each system allow you to maintain your ship before moving on.

Careful planning from destination to destination is required to make any progress. Stars with different colors provide different elements to mine, and you’ll never want to run out of certain minerals. Planets closer towards the center will start to become more dangerous with unpredictable wildlife and robots programmed to defend each planet’s natural environment.

As for combat, you’ll do battle against various ships. Smaller ones are more difficult to hit but easier to destroy thanks to their lack of shields. Larger ones can withstand a huge assault, but they are slower and easier to land massive attacks on. The approach to this combat lies totally in your hands, and death means an escape pod ride to the nearest planet and the loss of all your items and your ship.

To be fair to you, I agree that we haven't seen an unedited gameplay clip yet. They've essentially shown us a highlights reel of gameplay. Even the lengthy cave-big monster-ship-space-fleet-dogfight-second planet clip was one that they admitted to searching for.

That said, I don't think the marketing for Elder Scroll games included footage of people sifting through their menus and putting buckets on heads or the Baldur's Gate series with you waiting to gather your party before venturing forth and pausing repeatedly in battles. Or Drake looking all around for treasure. Those features were enormous parts of the gameplay experiences though and they remain fantastic games.

The point being, I'm not sure that your expectation of a lengthy unedited gameplay video is fair.

Amir0x

Banned

You keep being so "delightfully vague" on purpose because it allows you to pretend to nail them down without actually doing so.

Once again, not only have they made very specific claims counter to "you can do everything", but they have shown lots of it and discussed lots of it too. Check the post I linked to. It not only demonstrates in data what they've discussed about the features and the limitations therein, but showcases images from various different trailers which showcase demonstrations of many of these features.

Now unless this is your first rodeo, you'd know that the amount of information we have for a game announced a little over a year ago is actually incredible. Most AAA games don't have these many videos and this much information out in the ether this far in advance from release, because things change in development and that's a dangerous thing to do. Because then what happens is exactly what you keep pretending they're doing: lots of overpromising and underdelivering. Instead, they've opted to show way more than they should, and they've discussed an astronomical amount of details about it.

To put it into context, the last big media dump was in the middle of December 2014, so about 3 months ago.

At that time we got two different gameplay videos (one at the Videogame Awards and one at PSX 2014) plus an entire hour concert about the music of No Man's Sky along with a whole host of media obligations, interviews and even magazine pieces around that time. How many other games do you know announced only one year prior and still have probably well over a year development more to go where you get that much information in a go? Not many. It's a rarity.

It boggles my mind people keep acting like Hello Games is keeping us in the dark at this point. It's OK to not like the concept. I don't know why people can't just admit they don't like the concept without forging all these other mystical bullshit stories about them and their claims. It's all here.

It CAN be a sandbox where you CAN make your own fun. But it's ALSO a sandbox where you can decide to follow the storyline and reach the center of the universe, if you so choose. It's a game where you can decide to never fight or to engage in combat all the time. It's a game where you can choose to just explore forever. You can choose to join some faction over another, and that'll have repercussions. You can choose to enter a portal that might lead to a secret. You can choose to upgrade your equipment. There's a whole host of things you can do, and like any sandbox any of it can be the "point."

I'm not sure why people keep acting like they don't get what sandbox games are. Even the most Grand Theft Auto-y sandbox game still has objectives and hand designed challenges, which No Man's Sky has as well. But the "benefit" of sandbox game design is that it's flexible enough to be whatever else you want it to be too, within the constraints of whatever rules the game has. NMS has its own rules you have to stick by, but outside of that you can make the game be what you want. However, it's OK to not be the aimless wandering type - and for those folk you follow the story to the center of the universe. Sean Murray claims doing just the main objectives will take approximately 40 hours or more, so there's meat there:

Sean Murray said:
“That journey will take like a long time,” Murray says. “If you know what you’re doing and all of that kind of thing, some speed runner will prove me wrong, but [it’s] like 40 to 100 hours. A good length of time. But that is doing absolutely nothing else but traveling forward and that is min-maxing it, knowing exactly what you're doing. I hope that's not what the majority of players do. I hope they get really distracted and end up actually on the outer edge of the galaxy in a trade route that they really enjoy and not doing anything else. For some players they end up trying to see how long it would take them to walk around a planet or become the galaxy’s botanist or whatever. But for some players they will only want to make that journey, and that's cool.”

All in all, it's totally OK to think this concept is shit or to hate sandbox games. But this is distinct from them overpromising. It's distinct from them saying you can "do anything", which they have not come close to implying. And it's distinct from us being in the dark about the game, which is not close to being true. We know a shitload.

Why? Do you honestly believe all 18 quintillion planets will be explored?

Well, all they need to do is make 18 quintillion probes which travel at like 500x regular speed and go to each planet. You could have all of them mapped in a day :p
Still. This sounds really cool. I wonder how fun it would be to play though.

We will get bored after 4, maybe 5 planets.

This is the problem with procedural design. You don't get The Last of Us using procedural design, dog.

Amir0x

Banned

This is the problem with procedural design. You don't get The Last of Us using procedural design, dog.

You will get bored. Other people will be perfectly fine, just like with the other five billion incredible procedurally generated products out there that people adore. And how quickly one gets bored is heavily dependent on the nature of the randomizing algorithm involved and how complex it is and how many variables can therefore be expected to come from the engine.

So far Hello Games has claimed they have yet to see even one planet similar to another, and that they still have yet to see a planet with the same creatures yet. Of course, cloning is always a big problem with procedurally generated games, and how big of a problem it is relates directly to how complicated the randomizing algorithm is. Since it's a cornerstone of this game, I suspect they've done a lot to make it special... but you'll never know until you play.

There are specific objectives of course in this game, but the "joy of exploration" is not to be understated as a goal here. People who love exploration will necessarily be more likely to enjoy what this has to offer, if they think the exploration itself is a reward.

MikeyB

Categorical statement with obvious counterexamples in every NMS thread. Come on, at least try to make a decent argument.

RiverKwai

How many other games do you know announced only one year prior and still have probably well over a year development more to go where you get that much information in a go? Not many. It's a rarity.

This is pretty much the only part of your post I disagree with you on. I think this thing is a lot closer to being done than you do. :)

Game wasn't announced at the beginning of the dev cycle with some sort of CGI placeholder trailer. Game was announced with like 1.5 to 2 years of dev done already with a clip video of Sean Murray actually playing the game.

The Hermit

I am still hyped about this game but the more I hear about it the more it sounds like this:

FEiAgxh.gif

You're comparing a space exploration game with a focus on exploration and discovery to a narrative-driven horror/action post-apocalyptic game

Two different things. Two different goals. Two different appeals

kyser73

Look at Amirox's post on this page

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004071&page=2

Its VERY similar to the original Elite and Elite II: Frontier in both the basic gameplay and focus on sandbox exploration. Probably moreso than Dangerous in fact.

Amir0x

Banned
This is pretty much the only part of your post I disagree with you on. I think this thing is a lot closer to being done than you do. :)

Game wasn't announced at the beginning of the dev cycle with some sort of CGI placeholder trailer. Game was announced with like 1.5 to 2 years of dev done already with a clip video of Sean Murray actually playing the game.

I wasn't suggesting the game wasn't being worked on prior to its announcement. Almost every game announced has had some decent period of time worked on prior to it actually being revealed to the public.

But from their own words, the game is at best going to release at the end of this year - but given the problems with their office flooding and how small their team is, would you be surprised if it slipped out? It happens for most big indie projects. I bet we'll see it early 2016.

So no matter what context we put it in, the amount of information we have about No Man's Sky giving the timescales, the size of the team involved, and the amount of development time left is quite remarkable.

Just compare it to THE ORDER. We had the game announced in 2013, and they showed pretty much the same demo for 80% of the entire dev cycle. We finally started getting some different things in the last 8 months of development, and still they limited what they showed on stage. Of course the game was in development for five years when they finally did release, so much of the time spent development was before they announced in 2013. And still we got the limited information we did get in magazines and videos. Relative to that, we practically have a Bible's worth of information from No Man's Sky.

Stackboy

The way the devs are building hype for this game is really interesting. It's frustrating people, sure, but we are all so keen to see what its really all about, more gameplay and a release date (E3 no doubt).

RiverKwai

But from their own words, the game is at best going to release at the end of this year - but given the problems with their office flooding and how small their team is, would you be surprised if it slipped out? It happens for most big indie projects. I bet we'll see it early 2016.

Wasn't Sean Murray saying he'd be disappointed if it wasn't out before E3 or am I misremembering that? That may or may not have been before the flood, but I think 2016 is further out than I'd expect.

You will get bored. Other people will be perfectly fine, just like with the other five billion incredible procedurally generated products out there that people adore. And how quickly one gets bored is heavily dependent on the nature of the randomizing algorithm involved and how complex it is and how many variables can therefore be expected to come from the engine.

So far Hello Games has claimed they have yet to see even one planet similar to another, and that they still have yet to see a planet with the same creatures yet. Of course, cloning is always a big problem with procedurally generated games, and how big of a problem it is relates directly to how complicated the randomizing algorithm is. Since it's a cornerstone of this game, I suspect they've done a lot to make it special... but you'll never know until you play.

There are specific objectives of course in this game, but the "joy of exploration" is not to be understated as a goal here. People who love exploration will necessarily be more likely to enjoy what this has to offer, if they think the exploration itself is a reward.

You know what would make me feel more confident in believing in the complexity of the algorithm's and designs in this game?

If there were more than four people making it.

I mean, seriously, they've got a guy doing sound, a programmer, an artist, and a modeller. If they had 100 artists, all of whom were spending day in and day out designing things for the game, designing new 'seeds', looking at the designs which were being borne out of the seeds and working on concepts to make them more visually appealing, I'd be a fan. Let's get 10 guys making the organic stuff, sure. But how about another 10 making buildings and vehicles. Another 10 working on building lighting + weather + effects + systems which are gonna make that scene in 2001 look normal. Another 10 working on lifeforms. And another 20 working on the physics engine, so that some planets have crazy gravity or make you move in slow motion or mess around with mass/momentum. Make it so that you don't know what the fuck is gonna be on the next planet, it could be a funky hell disco or it could be a giant ballpark or a futuristic megapolis or a prison world or an iceworld with a train that just goes round and round and round. As it is, every planet is a barren lifeless moon.

Buggy Loop

Totally not 1:1 scale though, they went with style over real metrics so that you get planets orbiting really close to each other just for the looks. Sean wasnt ok with that originally but artistically, it matches his sci-fi vision he has, so the team went ahead with this condensed galaxy.

Of course it could be 1/100 000th the size and still, you would probably need a lifetime if not even thousands of years to explore its content, but thats not the point of these procedural games, its the best way to simulate what the first interstellar travellers will feel, an immense feeling of not knowing where to go since there's so many possibilities and being really ridiculously small (in just 1 galaxy). Elite Dangerous portrays that quite well, everytime i open the galaxy map to plan a route for trading or finding a hunting ground,, even if i could only explore 0.008% of its content, its still mind blowing.

Top Bottom