• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: PRE-REVIEW: FINAL FANTASY 15’S FIRST 15 HOURS

Isn't that kind of the writer's point though? The mainstream fan isn't going to be watching these things before playing the game nor should they have to to get the full picture.

True, but knowing they exist is an opportunity to immerse yourself in a very detailed opening narrative.

I don't really trust journalists regarding games's combat personally.

iirc they also like the combat in games like The Witcher, Batman The Arkham series, shadow of Mordor etc and I consider the combat in these subpar as well.

having played and disliked the combat in the two demos, not a single long video after PD convinced me.

Fair enough, but I have come across others who aren't journalists that were very happy with what they played at booth demos and things of that nature. *shrug* To each their own.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Its 1/3 of something very close to the final version. So yeah, its more than a preview and less than a full review.

Nah, it's a preview. Akin to "I saw the first 15 minutes of this movie and I LOVED IT" and such. It's like "Okay...and?" Hell, might as well go ahead and score it in chunks.

"First 15 Hours: 9/10!"

"First Impressions" would be more fitting to be honest. "Pre-Review" is click bait that feeds on the terrible review culture in games. =P

Gamesradar said:
"It's about taking the wheel and listening to the Final Fantasy 6 soundtrack CD you bought at a gas station"

drj1NmK.gif

To you, Hajime Tabata.

Cheers!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, it's a preview. Akin to "I saw the first 15 minutes of this movie and I LOVED IT" and such. It's like "Okay...and?" Hell, might as well go ahead and score it in chunks.

"First 15 Hours: 9/10!"

"First Impressions" would be more fitting to be honest. "Pre-Review" is click bait that feeds on the terrible review culture in games. =P

You joke about that but that's not unusual to be honest, because you never have to finish a game to assess it :p at least that's what people like to tell on podcasts.
Which honestly is also fine if it's mentioned but pretty sure I've read reviews on games not really mentioning it only for it to pop up on the respective podcast.

jrcbandit

After the glowing previews and great reviews of FF13 due to hype culture and advertising dollars, I have 0 faith in professional reviews for this game. I'll wait for post release GAF impressions/reviews, but even then how soon after release did GAF expose all the warts and disappointment that was FF13?

Tall Paul

Awesome news. I've been avoiding a lot of the FF updates in the last few years, purely as at thge time I really liked the pixel fantasy style of the older titles over the more modern approach that was taken over the last few years, infact, this will be the first FF I have played since the ones on the SNES and PS, so nothing since 9 i think, 7 & VI (3 US import) so im looking forward to the final version. Cheers for posting the preview.

davidrobots

Neo Member
True, but knowing they exist is an opportunity to immerse yourself in a very detailed opening narrative.

I do mention that both of those exist and explain that they're both worth watching in the next paragraph of my preview, but that both of those seem to do a lot of heavy narrative lifting to get FF15's gameplay going as quickly as possible. The 'what' is pretty easy to follow just from playing the game, but the specific 'whys' are a little more unclear, unless you've seen Kingslaive and Brotherhood.

Shit, incredibly disappointing to read. Was really looking forward to some scathing reviews of this.

Y'know, it's the off post like this that motivates people to type-out giant paragraphs about how they're being persecuted by haters and lash out against anyone criticizing the game in an even mild way.

This is part of the problem.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't trust in his opinion. You could shit in this guys mouth and call it final fantasy and he would love it just the same. Just like I wouldn't believe the opinion of the same 10 people with noctis avatars that swarm around every FF15 topic like vultures ready to attack. Will need to see way more impressions when the game is actually out.

ChanMan

Part of me feels like I am not going to enjoy the combat I dunno. I tried it in all of the demo's and it just didn't do it for me. I still have some hope but that is what is really going to hook me in the game.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm pretty sure we'll get everything from a 6/10 to a 10/10 in the reviews. I've the feeling this game will be polarising

What kind of maniac is going to give this game a 10/10?

I think people need to take a step back and realize that before Kingsglaive came out, the impressions were that people were leaving the theater crying it was so good.

And then GAF watched it and we were trying to justify its existence.

There's a hell of a lot of hopes and dreams on FF15 that it can't possibly measure up to.

People keep arguing that the game can't really be that bad if so many press outlets are praising it, but these press outlets are the ones who gave perfect scores and GOTY awards to the Phantom Pain.

We never learn.

MGSV, for being literally unfinished, is still a technically impressive game with a tight gameplay loop and some of the best stealth action gameplay of this generation. It may make absolutely no sense and have left fans with the biggest bluest balls imaginable, but there's no denying that the gameplay is worth recognition.

LordKasual

Banned
I thought the first 15 hours of IX, XIII and XIII-2 were good too. Let's just hope the rest of XV turns out better than they did.

I feel like IX didn't fall off until the very end of the game. XIII was only good at the beginning because I was expecting it to get better, in hindsight its first 15-30 hours were actually pretty damn boring.

Doesn't sound super positive to me. More like he got used to the clumsy combat. I really hope the gameplay is fun and deep enough.

There's nothing wrong with this. I feel like many gamers will instinctively dislike something with a learning curve because it doesn't feel like another game they've played, and then label it as "unresponsive" or "clunky". Despite what you can do, XV is alot more grounded than most action games.

Anyway, ever since The Phantom Pain and Skyward Sword (really? really?) got 10s, i've given up on review sites. But it's looking highly unlikely that XV will score a bad or mediocre average.

The biggest adversary for this game is probably going to come from reviewers who are previous FF fans on their "but its just not final fantasy" shit and lower the average.

Aters

People keep arguing that the game can't really be that bad if so many press outlets are praising it, but these press outlets are the ones who gave perfect scores and GOTY awards to the Phantom Pain.

We never learn.

Phantom Pain was the 3rd best game last year voted by GAF. The silent majority might not be that expressive, but they out-number the haters. This year it seems nothing can top UC4 and Overwatch, a 3rd for FFXV would be a great result.

Floody

Great to hear, still a little worried the game might run into the problem of having just too much stuff to do and burning you out 20-30 hours in, but I'm even more excited for it now.

Koozek

I don't trust in his opinion. You could shit in this guys mouth and call it final fantasy and he would love it just the same. Just like I wouldn't believe the opinion of the same 10 people with noctis avatars that swarm around every FF15 topic like vultures ready to attack. Will need to see way more impressions when the game is actually out.
thxYxwu.png

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
FF15 had been off my radar, and then I played that demo with the child and thought it was absolutely awful. Is that section supposed to be representative of the final game at all?

LowParry

FF15 had been off my radar, and then I played that demo with the child and thought it was absolutely awful. Is that section supposed to be representative of the final game at all?

No sir. In fact, just pretend it was some sort of glorified tech demo.

sappyday

No and they should remove that demo. That demo was made by two people to just throw at people to plump up the Uncovered event. The only thing representative is the final battle but even then you're missing out on most of the gameplay elements from the final game. We might play as little Noctis in the final game but there won't be an actual part where you have to collect crystals and shit.

davidrobots

Neo Member

Not really, it was more of a tech demo than anything else. It won't be in the final game at all. And for what it's worth, the preview I played is so much better than the Platinum Demo that you shouldn't even compare them.

Koozek

Not even remotely. It's was quickly made by 2 people on the team just for the demo. Such a stupid idea from the marketing team. Gave the wrong impression and just left so many newcomers to the game confused. How many played the demo for a few minutes and thought the final game was a platformer where you have to collect crystals and drive around as miniature toy cars, lol. How they not just added a battle arena-like mode where you fight a few enemies with the full main party to get a grasp of the real game's combat is beyond me.

The intent was just to show off the lighting/weather/particle effects as well as monster designs. You don't play as Kid Noctis in the game at any point at all.

Looking back, Platinum Demo was a very very poor decision on SE's part. They should have just had the plaza battle with the Iron Giant and a bunch of platforms to step on to do different things.

But I digress...check out some of these pre-review videos to get an idea of what the actual game looks like.

Peltz

After the glowing previews and great reviews of FF13 due to hype culture and advertising dollars, I have 0 faith in professional reviews for this game. I'll wait for post release GAF impressions/reviews, but even then how soon after release did GAF expose all the warts and disappointment that was FF13?
Eh... to be fair, they're playing it in a post FF-13 world. Skepticism is at an all time high for this franchise, especially considering the length of this project, and reviewers know this.

They're not just going to praise the game due to hype.

The intent was just to show off the lighting/weather/particle effects as well as monster designs. You don't play as Kid Noctis in the game at any point at all.

Looking back, Platinum Demo was a very very poor decision on SE's part. They should have just had the plaza battle with the Iron Giant and a bunch of platforms to step on to do different things.

But I digress...check out some of these pre-review videos to get an idea of what the actual game looks like.

Yeah... that demo completely turned me off of the game. Good to hear it's shaping up to be good.

Top Bottom